Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Woman should have bread and water and then when the meal is over they should go in the kitchen and wash dishes to pay their fair share....

*sarcasam*

But...but won't the carbs in the bread make them instantly fat? Best just stick with water to be safe.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Shoot, I don't even remember my first date. Must have been pretty good though since I married him.

Pretty sure food had nothing to do with it... unless you're like.... frying eggs and bacon...
    hot-shots-o.gif
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    @Cortelli - very funny, mister,,,,,,!!!!! Made me laugh......you were being sarky.
    Think some people missed that,
    Never mind, it gave me a huge chuckle and I am now off to bed....I am hours in front of you, not just taking a nap!!!!
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    What did you eat?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Woman should have bread and water and then when the meal is over they should go in the kitchen and wash dishes to pay their fair share....

*sarcasam*

But...but won't the carbs in the bread make them instantly fat? Best just stick with water to be safe.

Good point...

Water and lettuce probably better choice ...
  • dufus12
    And now we all realise how sarcastic we all being over a WTF post, I really am going to bed,,,,,,,,,,,
    Personally? On a first date? I would have usually starved myself for a week so would have eyes bigger than than my belly. Oh, for those days again,,,,!!!!! My belly has certainly proved the winner in recent years!!!
  • dufus12
    OH, and I would never order salad. I wouldn't have wanted him to think I had to work at being 'slim'........
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    The last first date I had was brunch. I ordered chicken and waffles and mimosas. My dude ordered some nonsense with kale. He looked absolutely ecstatic when I offered him some of my syrup-covered goodness.

...and now I can't wait to start dating again just so I have an excuse to go out and eat delicious food!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    The last first date I had was brunch. I ordered chicken and waffles and mimosas. My dude ordered some nonsense with kale. He looked absolutely ecstatic when I offered him some of my syrup-covered goodness.

...and now I can't wait to start dating again just so I have an excuse to go out and eat delicious food!

Just try to avoid dudes who order nonsense with kale at brunch. *Shiver*.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Cortelli wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    But I don't drink at all. I'm not about to force myself to drink disgusting wine or champagne just to impress a guy. Yuck.

Well that throws quite a wrench into the whole plan. But, hey, I am all about support for those who choose not to drink.

I too want to support those who choose not to drink. But I'm not sure I'd want to date one. In fact, my dating history would indicate that I don't. (I don't want to date an alcoholic either.)

An oenophile and someone who thinks wine is disgusting may be doomed.

Hello.... automatic designated driver!
  • becca_maee
    becca_maee Posts: 144 Member
    Eat whatever you would normally eat... A guy who judges a girl on what she eats (unless health related) is not a guy you wanna be with lol
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    becca_maee wrote: »
    Eat whatever you would normally eat... A guy who judges a girl on what she eats (unless health related) is not a guy you wanna be with lol

It's not a date's responsibility to judge what I eat, even if he thinks it's unhealthy. If he doesn't like the fact that I eat Dorito's, he can politely gtfo.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    On our first date my husband took me to see Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter Is Dead and the muffler fell off his car in the parking lot. His mom drove out and switched cars for him while we were watching the movie. I'm not sure what I ate. Probably Sour Patch Kids.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited June 2015
    Crap. DH just told me that I didn't just have WAAAY too much to drink on our first date, but that I was indeed drunk as hell. Not that I didn't actually realize that, but he managed to make me feel embarrassed about it a whole freaking decade later. :embarassed:

I want to go out on a date and eat more sushi than my husband and then lay on the couch with my pants unbuttoned complaining about the brand of insane gas I will have later from it. That's a good date right there.
  • LisaRoloff
    LisaRoloff Posts: 43 Member
    if your not familiar with the restaurant, ask him what's good. easy.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I don't ever remember putting this much thought into dating. Except for what to wear. Maybe.

I admit that I looked at menus before my brunch date the other day, but that's because we were choosing between two cafes and I needed to see which had the yummiest thing!
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    segastler wrote: »
    If you aren't going to put out, small side salad and water. If you are going to put out, steak, lobster, side of pasta, bottle of wine.

But seriously, whatever you want.

This is some good info! Now I know what to expect at the end of the night!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited June 2015
    Haven't read all the replies - just the first few. I'll take a different tack with my advice.

Entrees really are wide open, depending on the type of restaurant you’re visiting. If in doubt, just go for the most expensive item – class isn’t concerned with prices. One thing I’ve found to be really worthwhile is to mix and match your own entrée and sides. For example, a date once wanted to try the seared Ahi tuna steak in a seasame crust served with wasabi-infused mashed potatoes and lightly grilled asparagus drizzled with olive oil. But she was also interested in the filet mignon in a balsamic reduction, with roasted new potatoes with rosemary and buttered / creamed spinach. She insisted on a half portion of the Ahi, light on the seasame crust and cooked well, and a half portion of the filet but with a mushroom sauce instead of the balsamic reduction. She wanted the wasabi-infused mashed potatoes but asked to substitute garlic for the wasabi, and also a lightly stir-fried asparagus tip, pancetta, and walnut side. Never mind that these sides weren’t prominently featured on the menu – she knew what she wanted and any decent kitchen should meet your requests. And don’t listen to any protests from the waitstaff that they only serve the items listed on the menu; you order what makes most sense for you and demand that the restaurant accommodate you; that’s what they’re there for after all – it’s their whole reason for being in business. If met with further resistance, just raise your voice a bit. A bottle of a bold red (regardless of your entrée) is appropriate with your main. As I said, I am from California, so am partial to a California Cabernet, but if there are interesting French Burgundies available, that’s always an option. (BTW, don’t feel the need to finish absolutely every bottle – it’s just nice to have the bottle available so you don’t ever have to wait on a refill).

LOL 'cause nothing says *classy* more than raising your voice at waiting staff on a first date..
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Haven't read all the replies - just the first few. I'll take a different tack with my advice.

Entrees really are wide open, depending on the type of restaurant you’re visiting. If in doubt, just go for the most expensive item – class isn’t concerned with prices. One thing I’ve found to be really worthwhile is to mix and match your own entrée and sides. For example, a date once wanted to try the seared Ahi tuna steak in a seasame crust served with wasabi-infused mashed potatoes and lightly grilled asparagus drizzled with olive oil. But she was also interested in the filet mignon in a balsamic reduction, with roasted new potatoes with rosemary and buttered / creamed spinach. She insisted on a half portion of the Ahi, light on the seasame crust and cooked well, and a half portion of the filet but with a mushroom sauce instead of the balsamic reduction. She wanted the wasabi-infused mashed potatoes but asked to substitute garlic for the wasabi, and also a lightly stir-fried asparagus tip, pancetta, and walnut side. Never mind that these sides weren’t prominently featured on the menu – she knew what she wanted and any decent kitchen should meet your requests. And don’t listen to any protests from the waitstaff that they only serve the items listed on the menu; you order what makes most sense for you and demand that the restaurant accommodate you; that’s what they’re there for after all – it’s their whole reason for being in business. If met with further resistance, just raise your voice a bit. A bottle of a bold red (regardless of your entrée) is appropriate with your main. As I said, I am from California, so am partial to a California Cabernet, but if there are interesting French Burgundies available, that’s always an option. (BTW, don’t feel the need to finish absolutely every bottle – it’s just nice to have the bottle available so you don’t ever have to wait on a refill).

LOL 'cause nothing says *classy* more than raising your voice at waiting staff on a first date..

Yep! And the whole 'demand that the restaurant accommodate you' bit. If I went on a first date with someone who 'demanded' that the staff went out of their way to accommodate them and raised their voice in what I would see as very rude behaviour, I would probably walk out.