Is it worth it to quit diet soda? Have you?

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm not rating one artifical sweetener over another, but as a group, I've come to understand that consuming them fools the body into thinking we are taking in sugar, stimulating insulin production and excretion. When the blood sugar doesn't go up, the brain does kind of a double take and say to the liver...there's no sugar, quick give us some sugar to meet the insulin we just made so we don't crash into hypoglycemia. Well some doctors believe, I believe Dr. Oz mentions this on his show as well, I'm that it may lead to a rebound type to diabetes from liver and pancreas over stimulation. I tend to believe this theory.

But diet soda is recommended to diabetics so this doesn't even make any sense . . .
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not rating one artifical sweetener over another, but as a group, I've come to understand that consuming them fools the body into thinking we are taking in sugar, stimulating insulin production and excretion. When the blood sugar doesn't go up, the brain does kind of a double take and say to the liver...there's no sugar, quick give us some sugar to meet the insulin we just made so we don't crash into hypoglycemia. Well some doctors believe, I believe Dr. Oz mentions this on his show as well, I'm that it may lead to a rebound type to diabetes from liver and pancreas over stimulation. I tend to believe this theory.

The study to which you are referring has been debunked many times. Your body just doesn't work that way. However, if you personally feel like it makes you hungrier, then avoid it. It doesn't have that affect on everyone.

Also, disregard anything that Dr. Oz says. I'd listen to my cat's advice before I'd listen to his. The guy is a moron and a shill.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

The study to which you are referring has been debunked many times. Your body just doesn't work that way. However, if you personally feel like it makes you hungrier, then avoid it. It doesn't have that affect on everyone.

Also, disregard anything that Dr. Oz says. I'd listen to my cat's advice before I'd listen to his. The guy is a moron and a shill.

The great thing about theory is that it's just that, a theory. I'm the type of person that asks a lot of questions, researches and then forms an opinion. When I see patients in my practice I can also collect objective data and keep it stored in my long term memory for topics such as these. So i'll continue to think this until something else makes better sense to me. All doctors practice differently and Dr. Oz is still a doctor whom I mostly respect. Great thing about America, don't like your doctor, you can get a second opinion :-)
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

But diet soda is recommended to diabetics so this doesn't even make any sense . . .

It's not that diabetics are recommended to drink diet soda, it's just that if you must drink soda, diabetics are advised to drink diet. Many doctors would likely recommend other beverages instead if asked which were suitable.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

The great thing about theory is that it's just that, a theory. I'm the type of person that asks a lot of questions, researches and then forms an opinion. When I see patients in my practice I can also collect objective data and keep it stored in my long term memory for topics such as these. So i'll continue to think this until something else makes better sense to me. All doctors practice differently and Dr. Oz is still a doctor whom I mostly respect. Great thing about America, don't like your doctor, you can get a second opinion :-)

Level 1 clinical studies trump personal anecdotes.

Calorie free sweeteners do not impact insulin or insulin sensitivity at the cell level.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

When you ask questions and do all of this research, do you read actual studies, or do you read articles and opinion pieces that cherry-pick studies and completely misinterpret and manipulate the information contained in them to push their agenda? If you want to believe that theory for yourself, then that's fine. But there is no scientific reason to take that paint brush and go slathering it all over the place as if it applies to everyone. That's ridiculous.

And you respect a doctor who pushes any supplement that he can make a buck off of, who has been publicly labeled as a quack by Congress, and who has been asked to give up his medical license by literally thousands of doctors? Really?
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options

Level 1 clinical studies trump personal anecdotes.

Calorie free sweeteners do not impact insulin or insulin sensitivity at the cell level.

Having an opinion is fun, because no one can take it away from you without presenting their belief in a constructive way, with evidence. If you preformed the clinical trials yourself please send me the link and I'll be happy to educate myself. Until then I respect the doctors I work with, the research I do and the patients we treat.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options

When you ask questions and do all of this research, do you read actual studies, or do you read articles and opinion pieces that cherry-pick studies and completely misinterpret and manipulate the information contained in them to push their agenda? If you want to believe that theory for yourself, then that's fine. But there is no scientific reason to take that paint brush and go slathering it all over the place as if it applies to everyone. That's ridiculous.

And you respect a doctor who pushes any supplement that he can make a buck off of, who has been publicly labeled as a quack by Congress, and who has been asked to give up his medical license by literally thousands of doctors? Really?

The great thing about journals is that for each one that says do this not that, two more will be published to counter. I read mostly from Medline, articles from PubMed and the NIH and other nursing journals. It's always changing. Another example is the recent cholesterol dietary guidelines. I'm sure some doctors with disagree and still advise their patients to limits eggs and red meat and stick below 300mg per day. Then there will be the others that say dietary cholesterol shouldn't be a nutrient to monitor any further. Who's right, who's wrong? Will we ever know for sure? Maybe, maybe not.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

The great thing about journals is that for each one that says do this not that, two more will be published to counter. I read mostly from Medline, articles from PubMed and the NIH and other nursing journals. It's always changing. Another example is the recent cholesterol dietary guidelines. I'm sure some doctors with disagree and still advise their patients to limits eggs and red meat and stick below 300mg per day. Then there will be the others that say dietary cholesterol shouldn't be a nutrient to monitor any further. Who's right, who's wrong? Will we ever know for sure? Maybe, maybe not.

If someone is at a healthy weight, takes care of their teeth, is active, and eats a balanced diet while meating their macro targets for the day, what is the harm of having some soda/diet soda?

No one is going to have a 100% perfect diet. There is no such thing as a 100% perfect diet. There's no reason to completely avoid soda (or cholesterol, or sodium, or sugar, or artificial sweeteners - take your pick) if you're otherwise healthy. If you can't control your eating after having a diet soda, then there is no reason to project your issues onto everyone else. That is all anyone here is saying.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    A 6 pack a day sounds terribly excessive, not to mention expensive. What a waste of money!

There's nothing wrong with diet soda, but too much of anything in never a good idea.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Has anybody here quit drinking it and felt better? Or different at all?

I haven't had a diet soda, or any sweetened soda, for years. Now, I can't stand the taste. Way too sweet. I have probably saved money, I don't crave sugar or sweets, and I don't get insomnia (like I did when I drank soda, which is often consumed in the afternoon or evening)--I'd wager these benefits are from drinking water instead of soda.

I've also never had tooth decay nor have I ever been overweight in my entire life, but I can't claim either of these benefits are or are not because I don't drink soda.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options

If someone is at a healthy weight, takes care of their teeth, is active, and eats a balanced diet while meating their macro targets for the day, what is the harm of having some soda/diet soda?

No one is going to have a 100% perfect diet. There is no such thing as a 100% perfect diet. There's no reason to completely avoid soda (or cholesterol, or sodium, or sugar, or artificial sweeteners - take your pick) if you're otherwise healthy. If you can't control your eating after having a diet soda, then there is no reason to project your issues onto everyone else. That is all anyone here is saying.

I agree with you 100%.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Diet soda made me fat.

I mean, it's not like it was the pizza and hostess....right?
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Diet soda contains phosphoric acid and citric acid, both are bad for your teeth. Just google it.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i stopped drinking it, had 1 can a day usually.

Now none, i feel better too.

Dont crave it anymore

Feel much fresher
  • Sydking
    Options
    if i really want a soda il have one with real sugar and leave it at that
  • Sydking
    Options
    6 a day is way to much, unless its water you should not be drinking 6 a day of anything really.
    Moderation
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Once again, i ask myself what do they put in this stuff that folks can't go a day without a drink...

This alone is enough to put me off of trying diet soda. I'm happy with my one glass of lemon squash, barely once a month!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Once again, i ask myself what do they put in this stuff that folks can't go a day without a drink...

This alone is enough to put me off of trying diet soda. I'm happy with my one glass of lemon squash, barely once a month!

Once again, it's caffeine. Caffeine is addictive.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Once again, it's caffeine. Caffeine is addictive.

oh that's right, oops :flushed:
    I just hope that's all it is..