Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Haven't read all the replies - just the first few. I'll take a different tack with my advice.

This is a *first* date -- remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression. So, you need to focus on maximizing that first impression. And how do you do that? By displaying, through your superior taste and discernment, that you are worldly, tasteful, and most of all *classy*!

With the appetizer, I think there are a couple of ways to go. A good foie gras gets things rolling well. And you have a real opportunity to let him know just how discerning you are – I’ve never been more impressed than the time a date asked about the foie gras (be sure to pronounce it correctly as “fwaw graw” with emphasis to enhance the classiness) and turned up her nose when told it was actually duck and not goose! Raw oysters or chilled shellfish are also great choices. You might even pair a foie gras with some chilled oysters or lobster tails. Be sure to ask him what he’s going to have as an appetizer – emphasizing that this is for you, and also being able to veto another choice that clashes with yours.

Foie gras (aka 'fatty liver') is produced in factory farms where geese and ducks are aggressively force fed by having pipes shoved down their throats three or four times a day, until their livers swell up to 10x normal size and they can no longer stand up.

Ordering it would be a good idea for someone who wants to prove to their date that they are cruel, vulgar and unconcerned with the suffering of others.

Have fun kids!

More ridiculousness .....
    a
    I guess you don't eat meat either because butchering???

Yeah, it's kind of ... one level of "suffering" is too far, but other factory farming isn't????

Be real.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the replies - just the first few. I'll take a different tack with my advice.

This is a *first* date -- remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression. So, you need to focus on maximizing that first impression. And how do you do that? By displaying, through your superior taste and discernment, that you are worldly, tasteful, and most of all *classy*!

With the appetizer, I think there are a couple of ways to go. A good foie gras gets things rolling well. And you have a real opportunity to let him know just how discerning you are – I’ve never been more impressed than the time a date asked about the foie gras (be sure to pronounce it correctly as “fwaw graw” with emphasis to enhance the classiness) and turned up her nose when told it was actually duck and not goose! Raw oysters or chilled shellfish are also great choices. You might even pair a foie gras with some chilled oysters or lobster tails. Be sure to ask him what he’s going to have as an appetizer – emphasizing that this is for you, and also being able to veto another choice that clashes with yours.

Foie gras (aka 'fatty liver') is produced in factory farms where geese and ducks are aggressively force fed by having pipes shoved down their throats three or four times a day, until their livers swell up to 10x normal size and they can no longer stand up.

Ordering it would be a good idea for someone who wants to prove to their date that they are cruel, vulgar and unconcerned with the suffering of others.

Have fun kids!

It sounds as if you may be a philistine. And perhaps also didn't grok the post.

Ya think?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Entrees really are wide open, depending on the type of restaurant you’re visiting. If in doubt, just go for the most expensive item – class isn’t concerned with prices. One thing I’ve found to be really worthwhile is to mix and match your own entrée and sides. For example, a date once wanted to try the seared Ahi tuna steak in a seasame crust served with wasabi-infused mashed potatoes and lightly grilled asparagus drizzled with olive oil. But she was also interested in the filet mignon in a balsamic reduction, with roasted new potatoes with rosemary and buttered / creamed spinach. She insisted on a half portion of the Ahi, light on the seasame crust and cooked well, and a half portion of the filet but with a mushroom sauce instead of the balsamic reduction. She wanted the wasabi-infused mashed potatoes but asked to substitute garlic for the wasabi, and also a lightly stir-fried asparagus tip, pancetta, and walnut side. Never mind that these sides weren’t prominently featured on the menu – she knew what she wanted and any decent kitchen should meet your requests. And don’t listen to any protests from the waitstaff that they only serve the items listed on the menu; you order what makes most sense for you and demand that the restaurant accommodate you; that’s what they’re there for after all – it’s their whole reason for being in business. If met with further resistance, just raise your voice a bit. A bottle of a bold red (regardless of your entrée) is appropriate with your main. As I said, I am from California, so am partial to a California Cabernet, but if there are interesting French Burgundies available, that’s always an option. (BTW, don’t feel the need to finish absolutely every bottle – it’s just nice to have the bottle available so you don’t ever have to wait on a refill).

LOL 'cause nothing says *classy* more than raising your voice at waiting staff on a first date..

Yep! And the whole 'demand that the restaurant accommodate you' bit. If I went on a first date with someone who 'demanded' that the staff went out of their way to accommodate them and raised their voice in what I would see as very rude behaviour, I would probably walk out.

While Cortelli was definitely joking, it did remind me of how outraged I was as a restaurant manager when a Weight Watchers leader told my group that "you can treat the menu like a shopping list. You know the ingredients they have, so ask them to make you what you want, and can track"

WTF?? Fugoff.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Entrees really are wide open, depending on the type of restaurant you’re visiting. If in doubt, just go for the most expensive item – class isn’t concerned with prices. One thing I’ve found to be really worthwhile is to mix and match your own entrée and sides. For example, a date once wanted to try the seared Ahi tuna steak in a seasame crust served with wasabi-infused mashed potatoes and lightly grilled asparagus drizzled with olive oil. But she was also interested in the filet mignon in a balsamic reduction, with roasted new potatoes with rosemary and buttered / creamed spinach. She insisted on a half portion of the Ahi, light on the seasame crust and cooked well, and a half portion of the filet but with a mushroom sauce instead of the balsamic reduction. She wanted the wasabi-infused mashed potatoes but asked to substitute garlic for the wasabi, and also a lightly stir-fried asparagus tip, pancetta, and walnut side. Never mind that these sides weren’t prominently featured on the menu – she knew what she wanted and any decent kitchen should meet your requests. And don’t listen to any protests from the waitstaff that they only serve the items listed on the menu; you order what makes most sense for you and demand that the restaurant accommodate you; that’s what they’re there for after all – it’s their whole reason for being in business. If met with further resistance, just raise your voice a bit. A bottle of a bold red (regardless of your entrée) is appropriate with your main. As I said, I am from California, so am partial to a California Cabernet, but if there are interesting French Burgundies available, that’s always an option. (BTW, don’t feel the need to finish absolutely every bottle – it’s just nice to have the bottle available so you don’t ever have to wait on a refill).

LOL 'cause nothing says *classy* more than raising your voice at waiting staff on a first date..

Yep! And the whole 'demand that the restaurant accommodate you' bit. If I went on a first date with someone who 'demanded' that the staff went out of their way to accommodate them and raised their voice in what I would see as very rude behaviour, I would probably walk out.

Yeah....think that one went way over your head, didn't it? Along with a few other people.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Was OP trolling? Does it matter? ah.

Feisty Bucket's Hot Tips For Successful Dating:

1. announce intention to order the most expensive thing on the menu. Watch his expression carefully.
    2. "JUST KIDDING!" Get the burger.
    3. build a little log cabin with your fries. Use toothpicks for structural support.
    4. Success!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

1. announce intention to order the most expensive thing on the menu. Watch his expression carefully.
    3. build a little log cabin with your fries. Use toothpicks for structural support.
    4. Success!

Hmm there's a flaw in your plan - fries should NEVER be ordered on a first date. The only fries a girl should consume are those stolen from the fella's plate. I hear they love that.
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

4. Success!

Hmm there's a flaw in your plan - fries should NEVER be ordered on a first date. The only fries a girl should consume are those stolen from the fella's plate. I hear they love that.

But if all her fries are tied up in property, she can steal his fries to eat.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options

4. Success!

You know he's a keeper when you look up from completing your log cabin to see that he's finished building his chip castle.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yeah....think that one went way over your head, didn't it? Along with a few other people.

Lol yes it did! Clearly not enough caffeine this morning.

Also, I used to work in catering and I have seen this type of attitude waaaaaaaay too often. It does happen :p
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    In responce to the various queries regarding my 'guidelines':

1. Yeah, they are for first few dates. I expect my date to be on his best behavior for a while at least. I've been married 7 years now and it's okay if my husband has a huge Indian take-way and spends the rest of the night breaking wind and feeling too full to move- on occasion. I'm also okay with him getting rip-roaringly drunk- but just not on a first date!
    2. The food phobia thing is my issue- and yes i would say something before hand. What if my date booked a seafood resturant? He'd need to know, it's only fair.
    3. The other picky things probably would'nt get a second date- not being able to hold cutlery correctly and speaking with your mouth full? Nope- I'd give him a pass.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's kind of ... one level of "suffering" is too far, but other factory farming isn't????
    Be real.

Yes, there is a continuum of cruelty. All factory farming is cruel.

Butchering is not necessarily cruel, if it is done correctly and humanely. Keeping an animal in extreme, prolonged agony to produce luxury goods (as is the case with foie gras) is at the extreme end of the continuum, on a par with the angora wool trade.

And yes, Cortelli apparently meant this as a joke but people do consume these products and behave in that manner.

Apologies for sidelining the thread, but I was compelled to reply. A topic for a completely separate discussion, perhaps.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Be real.

Butchering is not necessarily cruel, if it is done correctly and humanely. Keeping an animal in extreme, prolonged agony to produce luxury goods (as is the case with foie gras) is at the extreme end of the continuum, on a par with the angora wool trade.

And yes, Cortelli apparently meant this as a joke but people do consume these products and behave in that manner.

Apologies for sidelining the thread, but I was compelled to reply. A topic for a completely separate discussion, perhaps.

so eating meat is ok but duck liver not ok? yea, totally legit. Just stop.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

So, your challenge starts right with the drinks. Consider a nice bottle of bubbly - cheaper than ordering by the glass and let's you set the tone for the meal. Although I am a California boy, I still say stay away from domestics. A real champagne - from France - is the way to go here. I can see ordering a prosecco or similar sparkling wine, but for God's sake make sure it isn't domestic - nothing says "I'm not classy" like a domestic sparkling.

For soup or salad, I always say “why not both?” A simple Caesar salad – insist on the parmesan begin grated tableside and make sure the anchovies are not a cheap restaurant-supply-company staple in a can – is great, and a small cup of lobster bisque (if you didn’t have lobster as an appetizer) is good. Perhaps a simple tomato soup, so long as the waitstaff is willing to let you spoon your own crème fraiche and will freshly grind pepper for you from a grinder at least 1.5 meters long! Get a bottle of California chardonnay to go with the soup salad combo.

Dessert is really your playground. Whatever suits your fancy. I like to see a date pair something like a chocolate souffle and a cheese plate with a 375ml bottle of a nice tawny port. One date asked for small portions of everything on the dessert menu so she could taste and try a bit of everything – I was impressed!

As dessert winds down, confirm that they offer espresso, and ask where they source their coffee. If not up to your standards, dismiss the waitstaff with a sad shake of the head and a sigh and make clear that you’ll go elsewhere for proper coffee and after-dinner drink.

Hopefully by this point your date has presented himself as something more than a horrible dullard. If not, oh well – we all must live and learn from our trials. If he does show any bit of promise, I am confident that you will have made an impression! He may even wonder how he managed to get a date with such a worldly and more importantly *classy* woman. Good luck!
    Don't know where you live.....but this ain't gonna happen (on most first dates in London) . LOL
    According to my Sister, (who's Single) - You're lucky to get taken out for a drink these days!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Be real.

Foie gras is banned in many countries here in Europe, for the reason Chrysalid highlighted.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever the **** you want! Seriously?

(I just read the OP. Looking forward to going through the responses. Got my popcorn ready!)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Be real.

Foie gras is banned in many countries here in Europe, for the reason Chrysalid highlighted.

Ah, also in some places in the US:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras_controversy
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options

So, your challenge starts right with the drinks. Consider a nice bottle of bubbly - cheaper than ordering by the glass and let's you set the tone for the meal. Although I am a California boy, I still say stay away from domestics. A real champagne - from France - is the way to go here. I can see ordering a prosecco or similar sparkling wine, but for God's sake make sure it isn't domestic - nothing says "I'm not classy" like a domestic sparkling.

For soup or salad, I always say “why not both?” A simple Caesar salad – insist on the parmesan begin grated tableside and make sure the anchovies are not a cheap restaurant-supply-company staple in a can – is great, and a small cup of lobster bisque (if you didn’t have lobster as an appetizer) is good. Perhaps a simple tomato soup, so long as the waitstaff is willing to let you spoon your own crème fraiche and will freshly grind pepper for you from a grinder at least 1.5 meters long! Get a bottle of California chardonnay to go with the soup salad combo.

Dessert is really your playground. Whatever suits your fancy. I like to see a date pair something like a chocolate souffle and a cheese plate with a 375ml bottle of a nice tawny port. One date asked for small portions of everything on the dessert menu so she could taste and try a bit of everything – I was impressed!

As dessert winds down, confirm that they offer espresso, and ask where they source their coffee. If not up to your standards, dismiss the waitstaff with a sad shake of the head and a sigh and make clear that you’ll go elsewhere for proper coffee and after-dinner drink.

Hopefully by this point your date has presented himself as something more than a horrible dullard. If not, oh well – we all must live and learn from our trials. If he does show any bit of promise, I am confident that you will have made an impression! He may even wonder how he managed to get a date with such a worldly and more importantly *classy* woman. Good luck!

Did I miss the part where OP said her date was with Donald Trump? lol That meal sounds like it would cost thousands of dollars. lol :lol:
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

WOW. Glad I never went on a date with a person like you. Number 7 is especially sexist. Imagine if a man said the same thing about a women. Just wow.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Wow.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    On our first date my husband took me to see Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter Is Dead and the muffler fell off his car in the parking lot. His mom drove out and switched cars for him while we were watching the movie. I'm not sure what I ate. Probably Sour Patch Kids.

Wow that is an awesome mother to a son.