Ate ice cream, can I burn it off?

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Whatever!! Enjoy and get back on the wagon. One misstep will not kill your weight loss/maintenance; what kills it is giving up. I ate spaghetti and regular coke a couple of weeks ago and still lost weight. As long as you don't make it a habit it doesn't matter.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Guilt is mostly a useless emotion, especially when trying to manage food and exercise.

You mean especially when in an enclosed room with law entrapment enforcement.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Guilt is mostly a useless emotion, especially when trying to manage food and exercise.

You mean especially when in an enclosed room with law entrapment enforcement.

Except they don't let you eat spaghetti and pizza or anything but coffee and cigarettes. Well, not that you eat coffee or cigarettes, but if you happen to drink coffee or smoke, they let you do that to make you feel comfortable. Or at least that's the way it's portrayed on television to make you confess to a crime that you didn't commit.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Guilt is mostly a useless emotion, especially when trying to manage food and exercise. As long as a person is getting adequate nutrition and hitting micronutrients, ice cream is a perfectly appropriate and delicious food.

Oh my Catholic parents would disagree with your premise on guilt :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I went 6 calories over maintenance today with my ice cream shenanigans! Must burn it off. J/k
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    I started out my day with chicken breast fajitas and a salad. Then a snack I had a small peach. I got bored and thought to myself I should finish the last of the ice cream so there won't be any left for me to eat anymore. I didn't buy any sweets this week only fruits. I'm still under my calorie goal for the day, but I feel guilty. The amount of ice cream probably equaled to 500-600 calories. Question is, can I get on the treadmill and burn off those calories? Or it won't matter and I've put on that extra fat and sugar from the ice cream?

Do you...not understand how calories work?

If you are under your goal, it doesn't matter what you eat. For satiety and energy reasons, it's not a good idea to let ice cream take up 500 cals of your allotment every single day, but you will not gain weight from it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

OP: Yes, you could burn off your ice cream calories, but it would be a waste of perfectly good ice cream. You could try getting a scale and weigh out the portion size on the package each time you want some. That way you can fit it into your day and not have to worry about guilt. Trust me, there is nothing "guilty" about 1/2 c. of ice cream.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We get fat by eating too much. Not by eating sugar, not by eating bread/pasta, not by eating fat. Too much of anything.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Of course you can burn it off...
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Has anyone wondered on here how the OP was able to stay under her calorie goal while eating 600 calories of ice cream? Yes it is physically possible....trust me I'm not arguing that. But unless her goal is 1800 or more that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for foods that would help to make up a healthy balanced diet. She shouldn't be beating herself up with guilt but she also does need to work more at moderation. A healthy balanced diet is something we should all strive for everyday. If we fall off the wagon and eat the ice cream. Don't beat yourself up about it. Learn to moderate it in the future. Log it and move on.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Has anyone wondered on here how the OP was able to stay under her calorie goal while eating 600 calories of ice cream? Yes it is physically possible....trust me I'm not arguing that. But unless her goal is 1800 or more that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for foods that would help to make up a healthy balanced diet. She shouldn't be beating herself up with guilt but she also does need to work more at moderation. A healthy balanced diet is something we should all strive for everyday. If we fall off the wagon and eat the ice cream. Don't beat yourself up about it. Learn to moderate it in the future. Log it and move on.

If it's not an everyday occurence, I don't see the problem. And maybe OP met all of her protein goals and had a lot of carbs and fat leftover, and had room in her macros for the ice cream. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what she did.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I feel better now not so much guilty anymore. However I do realize I didn't have 1/2 cup, I had like 2 1/2 cups! Or maybe more. Whatever. I understand it is ok and next time portion size only. I ate a balanced breakfast and lunch. Mainly was a homemade spring mix salad with cucumbers and tomato, 1 tsp ranch, 1 tsp mild shredded cheddar, and chicken fajitas from boneless skinless chicken breasts. Had a snack was a small peach like I said. That's all I have had besides the ice cream. My goal is 1380, and now I'm at 1080. Even with the 600 calories of ice cream. Still have 300 left for dinner. Better make it a light one. I am mostly sedentary and haven't really worked out since last October. I hope to have the motivation to start again with a balanced diet. Thanks for all of your responses.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started out my day with chicken breast fajitas and a salad. Then a snack I had a small peach. I got bored and thought to myself I should finish the last of the ice cream so there won't be any left for me to eat anymore. I didn't buy any sweets this week only fruits. I'm still under my calorie goal for the day, but I feel guilty. The amount of ice cream probably equaled to 500-600 calories. Question is, can I get on the treadmill and burn off those calories? Or it won't matter and I've put on that extra fat and sugar from the ice cream?
    you were under your calorie goal,so you won't gain any weight.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've had a 500ml (1 pint?) Tub of chocolate and peanut butter ice cream sitting unopened in my freezer for weeks. I have many times tried eating just one serving and have been unsuccessful each time. I always eat the whole tub which is nearly 1300 calories. There's no way i can incorporate that into my daily calories without walking 20 miles for it.

Sorry, just venting about my lack of willpower when it comes to pb icecream :explode:
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's with you for life. That ice cream is already making its little forever home in your saddlebags.

Not really, you will be fine. If your full day's calories still weighs up it won't matter to weight loss.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's with you for life. That ice cream is already making its little forever home in your saddlebags.
    That's funny. Thanks for the kind humor. :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I feel better now not so much guilty anymore. However I do realize I didn't have 1/2 cup, I had like 2 1/2 cups! Or maybe more. Whatever. I understand it is ok and next time portion size only. I ate a balanced breakfast and lunch. Mainly was a homemade spring mix salad with cucumbers and tomato, 1 tsp ranch, 1 tsp mild shredded cheddar, and chicken fajitas from boneless skinless chicken breasts. Had a snack was a small peach like I said. That's all I have had besides the ice cream. My goal is 1380, and now I'm at 1080. Even with the 600 calories of ice cream. Still have 300 left for dinner. Better make it a light one. I am mostly sedentary and haven't really worked out since last October. I hope to have the motivation to start again with a balanced diet. Thanks for all of your responses.

One quick note, I would recommend stop weighing with cups and start weighing with digital scales; you can pick up a small, inexpensive pair on Ebay. Cups are notoriously inaccurate, and one of the most common problems we see with people starting out is measuring everything with cups and spoons and wonder why they aren't losing weight; problem is that these methods are so inaccurate, a lot of people actually end up eating more than they think. So I would recommend getting a digital scale, just to be on the safe side-it really is an eye opener when you start weighing things and realize just how off cups and spoons can be!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    this thread needs

snickers-ice-cream-1.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Ice cream once in a while or even daily may not be a bad thing, but if yu are eating 1/2 of your calories in ice cream often, I would question your ability to hit an adequate protein goal. And as NoIdea101NoIdea mentioned, getting a food scale would be ideal as you will be more accurate with your logging.

Also, if you want to be able to incorporate the treats a bit more, adding exercise can help you do that. And you will get all of the other benefits of the exercise.