Ate ice cream, can I burn it off?

Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys!

This thread has been cleaned up a little to remove off-topic discussion. If you'd like to discuss insulin resistance or anything else not covered in the OP of this thread, please feel free to start your own discussion. Taking someone else's discussion off topic is a no-go.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Cheers,
    davis_em
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am glad to see my snickers ice-cream is relevant :bigsmile:

tbh though I thought psulemon closed it so he could have the last word .. arf
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    I feel better now not so much guilty anymore. However I do realize I didn't have 1/2 cup, I had like 2 1/2 cups! Or maybe more. Whatever. I understand it is ok and next time portion size only. I ate a balanced breakfast and lunch. Mainly was a homemade spring mix salad with cucumbers and tomato, 1 tsp ranch, 1 tsp mild shredded cheddar, and chicken fajitas from boneless skinless chicken breasts. Had a snack was a small peach like I said. That's all I have had besides the ice cream. My goal is 1380, and now I'm at 1080. Even with the 600 calories of ice cream. Still have 300 left for dinner. Better make it a light one. I am mostly sedentary and haven't really worked out since last October. I hope to have the motivation to start again with a balanced diet. Thanks for all of your responses.

Hey Missy - what brand of ice cream was it?

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    All I said was if it fits into her calories, why feel guilty. Why was that removed?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Missycvt wrote: »
    I feel better now not so much guilty anymore. However I do realize I didn't have 1/2 cup, I had like 2 1/2 cups! Or maybe more. Whatever. I understand it is ok and next time portion size only. I ate a balanced breakfast and lunch. Mainly was a homemade spring mix salad with cucumbers and tomato, 1 tsp ranch, 1 tsp mild shredded cheddar, and chicken fajitas from boneless skinless chicken breasts. Had a snack was a small peach like I said. That's all I have had besides the ice cream. My goal is 1380, and now I'm at 1080. Even with the 600 calories of ice cream. Still have 300 left for dinner. Better make it a light one. I am mostly sedentary and haven't really worked out since last October. I hope to have the motivation to start again with a balanced diet. Thanks for all of your responses.

Ice cream once in a while or even daily may not be a bad thing, but if yu are eating 1/2 of your calories in ice cream often, I would question your ability to hit an adequate protein goal. And as NoIdea101NoIdea mentioned, getting a food scale would be ideal as you will be more accurate with your logging.

Also, if you want to be able to incorporate the treats a bit more, adding exercise can help you do that. And you will get all of the other benefits of the exercise.

^Pretty much all of this. I'm old and short so have a pretty low calorie budget ... I only get to fit in ice cream on days I exercise.

There's nothing inherently wrong with ice cream, though. Just learn from what happened this time, and move on.

Do get a food scale, plan for your ice cream, and don't be too restrictive in your food choices. One thing that jumped out at me in your initial post, OP was the "might as well finish it". That sort of thinking usually goes along with the idea that you HAVE to give up certain foods when you diet.

Well, you see where that got you. You feel like you ate too much ice cream (even though you kept to your daily calorie budget, you ate half your day's worth of calories in ice cream). That wasn't the best plan.

If you don't put any foods on a "naughty" list and allow yourself permission to enjoy anything in moderation, things like this won't happen. You can plan for a small portion of ice cream in the future, fit it within your daily calorie budget, and still lose weight.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    this thread needs

snickers-ice-cream-1.jpg

So, on a scale of 1-10, how good are these?

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    this thread needs

snickers-ice-cream-1.jpg

• Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    this thread needs

snickers-ice-cream-1.jpg

179 calories of quite yum .. I'd give it a 7 or 8 (but then again I'm not a peanut fiend)

I like Mars bar ice creams more (140 calories) because I'm all about the caramel but sometimes, you know .. you just want peanuts in it

I find the trick is to...excuse me cos I can't think of any other way to put it .. but kind of suck them so they melt into your mouth :grin:
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Oh, my, a closed thread has been re-opened! Thank you MFP!
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    this thread needs

snickers-ice-cream-1.jpg

10!...theyre amazing!!
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I might have to go shopping today. I don't think they have Mars bars here in the States. I just looked. There are mini Snickers ice cream bars.

I can fit 90 calories in most days.

Definitely going shopping.

EDIT: CRAP! THEY MAY CONTAIN WHEAT!!!!!!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    is that a no-no for you? It's not on the ingredients list so not a primary constituent, isn't those one of the catch-alls just in case cos they're made in the same factory
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    this thread needs

snickers-ice-cream-1.jpg

I have 3 boxes in the freezer. Portion controlled heaven.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    We don't have the mini ones here .. just the regular sized ones
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to burn it off? Yes. Is it necessary? No.

what he said.
    I had gelato the other day but I walked while I ate it. and I was still under my calorie goal.

don't feel guilty even if you were over your calorie goal, just walk it off (or exercise of your choice) or do nothing and do better the next day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Your conception that ice cream is a "bad" food is the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Is it possible to burn it off? Yes. Is it necessary? No.

what he said.
    I had gelato the other day but I walked while I ate it. and I was still under my calorie goal.

don't feel guilty even if you were over your calorie goal, just walk it off (or exercise of your choice) or do nothing and do better the next day.

I can't even...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    if you lick it off someone's abs it has no calories

true dat