Anyone else experience negativity due to weight loss?

Options
1235»

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    A coworker I talked to often at work kept bugging me about my eating choices, when I started to bring in healthier lunches. When he found out I was dieting, he kept trying to lull me into eating foods worse for me, taunt me with delicious ribs [he knows I have a killer recipe], etc. He quit in this recent month, but I hate to see how he'd have reacted to my going vegetarian for my diet [looooove meat]. Hurt a lil - he is extremely fit n' attractive.

He's not your co-worker he's your competitor - He might be afraid that if your slim and trim, you'll get more attention than him. I don't know just my theory, but if it bothered you enough to write about it here, it was probably more than joking around, and he certainly isn't being supportive.
    We're opposite genders, not sure how I can really 'compete' with him in that regard. xD

I talked about it with another coworker today, and they informed me he had a small crush on me - and liked me the weight I was at [with my delicious recipes and all], so was a little sad I was losing it. But yeah, that was absolutely mind-boggling for me. Huh.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Omg are you kidding me this happens to me every single day. I go for an afternoon walk 5 days a week and WITHOUT FAIL, my mother will yell about how my neck is too thin and I'm going to dwindle away into dust as I'm leaving the door. My grandfather visited us a few months back and he wouldn't stop going on about my collarbones. I think I still have a long ways to go so I'm not excited for what I'll get when I reach my FIRST goal

Collarbones? I'm jealous lol. I hope to have some some day.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    A coworker I talked to often at work kept bugging me about my eating choices, when I started to bring in healthier lunches. When he found out I was dieting, he kept trying to lull me into eating foods worse for me, taunt me with delicious ribs [he knows I have a killer recipe], etc. He quit in this recent month, but I hate to see how he'd have reacted to my going vegetarian for my diet [looooove meat]. Hurt a lil - he is extremely fit n' attractive.

He's not your co-worker he's your competitor - He might be afraid that if your slim and trim, you'll get more attention than him. I don't know just my theory, but if it bothered you enough to write about it here, it was probably more than joking around, and he certainly isn't being supportive.
    We're opposite genders, not sure how I can really 'compete' with him in that regard. xD

I talked about it with another coworker today, and they informed me he had a small crush on me - and liked me the weight I was at [with my delicious recipes and all], so was a little sad I was losing it. But yeah, that was absolutely mind-boggling for me. Huh.

Cute! Why doesn't he just pull on your pigtails?

• 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Well, that's an interesting development. I would be complimenting you, if I wanted your attention. But that's just me. I have seen guy's use derogatory remarks to get a woman's attention and sometimes it works pretty well. Although I still haven't figured out why, I guess I'm too logical.
    My thoughts on you and he competing where if you are looking better, feeling better, you become more confident and outgoing. People start complimenting you, thereby drawing attention away him. If he's fit and attractive than he's use to being the center of attention. Just my theory
  • wendy75_512
    wendy75_512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have experienced a lot of negativity due to my weight loss. I have so far lost 38 pounds and want to lose 20 more. Most people in my life are supportive but there are a few that just get to me. I've been told I look sickly, that I'm obsessed, that I am no longer fun, and that I'm just not attractive anymore. And these comments sting most because they are made by the people closest to me. I know I need to weed all the negativity out of my life which I am working on. Thought I was the only one experiencing the negative statements. I try to stay positive and know that this is the best I have ever felt about myself, I am comfortable in my own skin and feel fantastic.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I hate the "you are obsessed" comment. It's so annoying.
    I had a friend's husband telling me once when I lost weigh a few years ago " you are blowing away in the wind"... I was like - really....Im 163 pounds....lol
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    hunniebunn wrote: »
    I have lost "friends" because of my weight loss. I was over 200lbs at my heaviest, and when I had lost 40lbs I felt amazing. Myself and my small group of friends were in the pool, and my "friend" made the comment that I "looked like a tramp" walking around in my bikini and that I "didn't look as good as I thought I did". She then called my boyfriend to tell him that I was cheating on him.

She still makes comments on facebook referring to my weight loss & cheat meals "why count calories/fats/sugars when you are going to eat a whole mcdonalds menu...f*****g loser" (I haven't eaten mcdonalds in almost 6 years, but its besides the point)

OMG..that's horrible. Why is she so mad still?
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I recently mentioned needing to buy pants in a smaller size, and was told to "eat some cake you skinny b!tch" as a solution to my problem :/ The person in question is morbidly obese, of course, and seems to be obsessed with my appearance in other ways as well. It all stems from jealousy and feelings of inadequacy.

As far an answers? Firm but polite, and clear about what you want. My answer was simply, "No." No explanation, just no. I don't want to eat cake, and I don't owe her an explanation for my choice. Just "No".
  • StacyJ8888
    StacyJ8888 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I went from 300 to 140 in my 20's my mother and my boss would not let any opportunity go by without telling someone how fat I used to be. "Hi, this is Stacy, she used to weigh 300lbs." My mother even went so far as to turn me around and lift my shirt to show that I no longer had that "fat a**" to her friends that had not seen me in a few years. I never for one second believed it was out of admiration, it was said to set the tone, keep me in my place and remind me and anyone around me that I was, in their eyes, still "less than" them.
  • booombeeeem
    booombeeeem Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    All the time. Theres only a few who do but they really love to do it constantly. Just know what you want and trust yourself. Theres a little jealousy too remember that. No ones hating on u when u eat a whole pizza but when you grab that green smoothie someones gonna open their mouth
  • ale3yb
    ale3yb Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    People are funny like that, unfortunately. If you're not successful it justifies their own lack of success and makes them feel better about their failures. Seeing your success is just a reminder of their own weight loss fails. I say this as a former hater myself. I used to feel like a failure and really inadequate around my fit and active friends. However, I always tried to never shame them for their lifestyle -it's not my style. But the jealousy was always there. It wasn't until I finally got tired of being depressed and unhappy that I finally did something about it and started moving. I had lost 30 pounds so far and am still working towards my goal of loosing another 30. Just remember that they're the ones that are unhappy and with the issues. Be proud of what you have done and keep doing what you're doing and stay healthy. Surround yourself with positive, like minded people that know how hard you've worked and won't try to sabotage your hard work. Right now I'm having that struggle with mother. I am very close to her. Before, she was constantly encouraging me to go on a diet. Now she keeps trying to feed me food that she knows I can't eat. She used to be thinner than me and now it's not the case. She guilted me into eating her food and I gained 10 pounds! She has made some comments about looking just fine as I am and that it was unattractive to be too skinny.But i dont blame her and I take full responsibility for not staying strong. She's obviously going through something and when I can be a little less testy, I will tell her how I feel. Meanwhile, I'm back to staying away from her cooking, upping my will power and not letting her get under my skin.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

So I found that little gem of a quote this morning and had to share it with you all ;)
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    kygirl8282 wrote: »

So I found that little gem of a quote this morning and had to share it with you all ;)

I'll do you one better:

"Have you ever seen a hater that's doing better than you? Me neither."
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    RossAH wrote: »
    kygirl8282 wrote: »

I'll do you one better:

"Have you ever seen a hater that's doing better than you? Me neither."

Wonderful! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You know what is funny? Twice now, women have hinted that now that I am "hotter", that might be tempted to stray. My weight has been part of our dynamic, as my hubby is positively attracted to voluptuous women. It's obvious now that people have wondered what I saw in him. Goodness gracious.

I have asked him if he would still be attracted to me, and he's answered non-committedly (he's a pro at this marriage stuff). And we still make a great team. Each other's best buddy.

You just gotta laugh.
  • unbreakable51
    unbreakable51 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have seen and heard a lot of mean spirited and hurtful comments, which I think stem from jealousy. Someone had success, so it's better to criticize them and their method rather than look inward as to why they themselves lack the dedication or commitment.
    But I wonder if some of the negativity might stem from someone who has lost weight, and wants to talk about it all the time, in detail. I'm hate to use the word, because it's annoying to be accused of being 'obsessed' with health, diet, and exercise, when all you have done is your own thing, kept to yourself and shared only with people who have asked.
    But there are those who maybe the term 'obsessed' does apply. Those who look at your lunch and tell you how many carbs you're consuming. When you did NOT ask. Or those who simply can't just turn down a piece of cake, or some kind of treat. Can't just say 'no thank you'. Instead we have to hear why they can't eat it. And that takes away a little bit from those who do want to enjoy it.
    As we all know, everyone's approach is going to be different. And we live and work with people who don't need to worry about their diet, or just don't want to. And that is their business. Just as is it our business to eat what we want, when we want. And whether or not to exercise, and how we exercise.
    Yes, I work with a lady who is doing this low carb thing, and that's fine for her, but it is not my thing at all. I do not want her advice, or hear about any of it. So I might be a little snarky about her weight loss. Sorry, but she kind of brought it on herself. I can't be 100 % ' rah rah good for you', when she announces yet again how much weight she's lost.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    On the other side of the scale, my mother weighed me every morning I was in high school and threw a fit if the scale showed more than 125 pounds.

:|

• rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I hate the "you are obsessed" comment. It's so annoying.

My mother used to say that to me in a really snide tone when I used to take 5 minutes to log my food. Then launch into how to do it "properly" and how to better lose weight..... The sort of advice you need from a mother trying to tell you the benefits of the cabbage soup diet ... who is also obese.
  • smkronen
    smkronen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight during this past spring semester by making healthier choices in the dining hall (all of the healthy options are already prepared for you :smiley: ) and making regular, scheduled exercise a priority for the first time in my life. I'm home from college for the summer now, and my younger sister hates it that I make sure our fridge is stocked with fruits, veggies, yogurt, chicken, etc. instead of the crap I used to eat! She says that I've lost too much weight and am anorexic, which is not true at all. I'm 5'6, 148 lbs, and I eat all the time, just not junk. We are very close and I know she is only joking, but her words are can be hurtful and insensitive. And I know she's only lashing out because she feels like I am infringing on her lifestyle by not buying the food she wants at the grocery store, getting lighter options when we eat out, and the like. But I agree with the previous posters: to do this, you have to realize your self worth, and you have to be a little selfish.
  • Seeyoubabyweight
    Seeyoubabyweight Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has discovered this side of success. I started in January and had a coworker stat the same time. Initially we would randomly compare notes, her how their no carb, no sugar, all clean weeks were going me recommending MFP. By March I noticed she wasn't chatting much, and I've not really been one to bring it up. Now it's like she straight up avoids me and the only commented I've heard is "aren't you done yet"?. I don't feel any loss, we were not really close to start with. Yet a few times I've wanted to comment that she is looking good, and things must be working, but she usually brushes past looking away. I don't know how much she's dropped, my guess is similar to me, but I've always been a small frame so I guess they feel I have lost more.