City of Davis to institute new ordinance on soda "ban" with kid's meals

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The PARENT should be making the prominent option, not the government. When I order a kids meal for my kid, I order milk for her instead of soda. But again, that's the option I make based on common sense.
    Based on the obesity epidemic in children, common sense isn't common. ;)

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This seems like a non-issue to me. While I rarely order happy meals anymore because my kids are older, when I did order them, I just asked for the drink I wanted up front. And those few times I didn't ask up front, they simply asked me what drink I wanted. There was no pushing of sodas or any other type of drink.

Also, happy meals cost the same whether you get milk, soda, or juice, so why would there even be a need to push sodas? It would definitely push my buttons if they said parents could not order sodas for their kids, but this just seems like another useless ruling that really amounts to nothing.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    This seems like a non-issue to me. While I rarely order happy meals anymore because my kids are older, when I did order them, I just asked for the drink I wanted up front. And those few times I didn't ask up front, they simply asked me what drink I wanted. There was no pushing of sodas or any other type of drink.

Also, happy meals cost the same whether you get milk, soda, or juice, so why would there even be a need to push sodas? It would definitely push my buttons if they said parents could not order sodas for their kids, but this just seems like another useless ruling that really amounts to nothing.

That's where I need some clarification in this case. It says that the parents can still order soda, is that at an extra charge?
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I don't drink soda, my husband does, but my kids also don't. I grew up drinking soda and Kool-aid. I was always overweight and obese and I know drinking soda and such doesn't help. I also had cavities all the time.
    So in other words your parent(s) didn't work and educate you adequately and you had inadequate oral hygiene habits.

Where does it say anywhere that the parents didn't work (and even if they didn't what does that have to do with the case in point)?

Anyway, I say bring on the junk tax, stop making crap food the cheap option, and the next generation will be a lot better off!

I agree with the 'junk/sin tax'! It might help pay for the health care needed eventually for those that have lived unhealthy lives and now 'eat up' - no pun intended - all our health care resources as they become sick as they age.

Also, 'crap food' as suggested should be more expensive - if government wants to become involved, I say they should subsidize farmers - organic would be great! Also, offer those individuals who are living healthy lives tax incentives/benefits - have supplements, etc., a part of health plans, etc.,

What if I told you I do get an incentive on my medical deductables for being healthy, and being healthy includes eating out a few times per week, with some sodas and beers mixed in.

That's great - you must live outside Canada? I wish I had the same! Families with children can currently deduct their 'physical activity sport' expense on their taxes, but there is nothing in place for 'healthy eating' or for individuals. Our government will not allow one to claim supplements, etc.,

I'd rather be able to deduct the cost of my kid's sports than get a check for $400 at the beginning of thr year for smoking my physical.

That's really not what anyone would support...
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    There's nothing in Davis besides corn and cows... So the children are used to being deprived from anything fun.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    There's nothing in Davis besides corn and cows... So the children are used to being deprived from anything fun.

LOL! But at least it has a McDonald's!

• RGv2
    Options
    I don't drink soda, my husband does, but my kids also don't. I grew up drinking soda and Kool-aid. I was always overweight and obese and I know drinking soda and such doesn't help. I also had cavities all the time.
    So in other words your parent(s) didn't work and educate you adequately and you had inadequate oral hygiene habits.

Where does it say anywhere that the parents didn't work (and even if they didn't what does that have to do with the case in point)?

Anyway, I say bring on the junk tax, stop making crap food the cheap option, and the next generation will be a lot better off!

I agree with the 'junk/sin tax'! It might help pay for the health care needed eventually for those that have lived unhealthy lives and now 'eat up' - no pun intended - all our health care resources as they become sick as they age.

Also, 'crap food' as suggested should be more expensive - if government wants to become involved, I say they should subsidize farmers - organic would be great! Also, offer those individuals who are living healthy lives tax incentives/benefits - have supplements, etc., a part of health plans, etc.,

What if I told you I do get an incentive on my medical deductables for being healthy, and being healthy includes eating out a few times per week, with some sodas and beers mixed in.

That's great - you must live outside Canada? I wish I had the same! Families with children can currently deduct their 'physical activity sport' expense on their taxes, but there is nothing in place for 'healthy eating' or for individuals. Our government will not allow one to claim supplements, etc.,

I'd rather be able to deduct the cost of my kid's sports than get a check for $400 at the beginning of thr year for smoking my physical.

That's really not what anyone would support...

?

No one would support doing really well (smoking?) your physical?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

My bad, I left out the word "on" after work.
    Lol, that's done a lot to reduce the use of alcohol, gas and cigarettes right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well to be fair most of us need gasoline to get to and from work...esp. those living in rural communities with no public transportation options available. As a real estate agent, I can't be without a vehicle and I often drive over 100 miles a day some days...gasoline tax notwithstanding, I have no choice.

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

That's where I need some clarification in this case. It says that the parents can still order soda, is that at an extra charge?
    I'm bored, so I read the ordinance. You must *purchase* a soda for your child, if you wish. It will not be provided with the meal. See below. Emphasis mine.

17.02.02 Default Beverages In Children’s Meals.

(a) On and after September 1, 2015 a restaurant that sells a children’s meal that
    includes a beverage shall make the default beverage offered with the children’s
    meal one of the following:
    (1) Water, sparkling water, or flavored water, with no added natural or artificial
    sweeteners;
    (2) Milk or non-dairy milk alternatives.

(b) Nothing in this Section prohibits a restaurant’s ability to sell, or a customer’s
    ability to purchase, a substitute or alternative beverage instead of the default
    beverage offered with a children’s meal, if requested by the purchaser of the
    children’s meal.

(c) All restaurants shall complete an initial self-certification certifying whether they
    offer children’s meals and if so, certifying that they comply with the provisions of
    this Section 17.02.02. Subsequently, restaurants that sell children’s meals shall
    complete an annual self-certification, certifying that they comply with the
    provisions of this Section 17.02.02, as may be modified from time to time at the
    discretion of the City.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    Lol, that's done a lot to reduce the use of alcohol, gas and cigarettes right?

I don't know about trends in your area, but I do not see anywhere near as many people smoking as there was five years ago. No one can afford to smoke anymore LOL

I know quite a few people who have a hard time paying their bills, yet manage to have $$ for smokes.
  • RGv2
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

I'm bored, so I read the ordinance. You must *purchase* a soda for your child, if you wish. It will not be provided with the meal. See below. Emphasis mine.

(a) On and after September 1, 2015 a restaurant that sells a children’s meal that
    (1) Water, sparkling water, or flavored water, with no added natural or artificial
    sweeteners;

(b) Nothing in this Section prohibits a restaurant’s ability to sell, or a customer’s
    ability to purchase, a substitute or alternative beverage instead of the default
    children’s meal.

(c) All restaurants shall complete an initial self-certification certifying whether they
    offer children’s meals and if so, certifying that they comply with the provisions of
    this Section 17.02.02. Subsequently, restaurants that sell children’s meals shall
    provisions of this Section 17.02.02, as may be modified from time to time at the
    discretion of the City.

OK, so it is a true "nanny state" law that is truely banning of the inclusion of soda with the meal. Good thing we have the government around to tell me what my kid can and can't have with their meal. No junior, you can't have that sugary coke, but you can have that sugary juice. Makes sense.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

sweeteners;

children’s meal.

discretion of the City.

OK, so it is a true "nanny state" law that is truely banning of the inclusion of soda with the meal. Good thing we have the government around to tell me what my kid can and can't have with their meal. No junior, you can't have that sugary coke, but you can have that sugary juice. Makes sense.

To be fair, they also banned juice. Not that it makes it any better. ;-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Since when is it the government's job to make parental decisions in the US?

Well since childhood obesity is run rampant, many parents don't do anything about it and the government is paying over 50% of healthcare costs.

How about a $.05 per ounce tax on pop, mandated to go to healthcare? Wonder how many people would buy the 64 oz bladder buster at $4.50 vs $.99?
    They did this with gas and tobacco products. Adding "sin" tax does little to deter usage. Obesity is an issue due to lack of concern at HOW MUCH someone is consuming. Not just WHAT someone is consuming. There are lots and lots of healthy people who consume sugared drinks within a decent calorie amount. There are sugared teas, juices, coffee, etc. that don't fall under the same scrutiny as soda, yet yield some of the same amounts in grams.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Talk to someone who works in the auto industry about what happens to sales of pick ups and large SUVs vs small cars when the price of gas is over $4 a gallon vs $2.50. Ask them if the price of gas deters usage. BTW, would personally have no problem with a similar tax on the other sugared items mentioned.

I live in CA which has one of the highest prices per gallon of gas and in an area which is the 3rd largest commuter's nightmare in the US. SUV's are a big staple of that commute (which is an average of an hour one way). California also has more cars per capita than any state. Sporting 2 of top 3 worst commutes in the US, along with one of the highest costs per gallon of gas, and along with the state with the most cars, and one of the most highest tax rates in the country, you'd have a hard time convincing me adding an extra tax would deter usage. It hasn't yet after all these years.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

sweeteners;

children’s meal.

discretion of the City.

I don't see juice on this list of provided options, actually:

sweeteners;

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    How many of you if favor of this support the government saying what YOU can order as a default option?

Why would I care what the "default" option is. I'm wondering if you understand what the word "option" means?

Nice failure to answer the question. It's amazing how supportive people are of infringement on freedoms when they aren't inconvenienced while failing to see the impact on all of society.

Having to ask for something is not an infringement on your freedom. Not being allowed to vote - that's an infringement. You act like they're banning pop. All they've done is changed the order process from:
    What kind of drink with that?
    Coke

to

Water, milk or juice?
    Coke

Yeah, major lose of personal freedoms there.

The infringement here is not on the rights of the customers, but on the rights of the business owners. Much more frequently, we're seeing the government step in and tell business owners what goods and services they must or must not offer their customers. There are cities banning the use of plastic bags, for example, or forcing businesses to charge their customers for using plastic bags. Requiring businesses to change their menu to suit those in power is very much an infringement.

That's irrelevant here. They already offer juice, milk, water, pop, coffee, tea, and milkshakes. They are still allowed to offer juice, milk, water, pop, coffee, tea, and milkshakes. This is, at best, a cosmetic menu change, same as requiring nutritional information.

How is it irrelevant? You don't believe it is an infringement of my freedom of speech to tell me that I can't encourage my customers to purchase soda for their children?

Constitutionally speaking, no it's not.
  • RGv2
    Options

sweeteners;

children’s meal.

discretion of the City.

sweeteners;

That's fair. I'm not sure where I was reading juice at.

I still stand by my statement of:

"so it is a true "nanny state" law that is truely banning of the inclusion of soda with the meal. Good thing we have the government around to tell me what my kid can and can't have with their meal."
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

sweeteners;

children’s meal.

discretion of the City.

sweeteners;

"so it is a true "nanny state" law that is truely banning of the inclusion of soda with the meal. Good thing we have the government around to tell me what my kid can and can't have with their meal."

I really don't understand why it's such a big deal to ask for soda if you want your kid to have it.
  • RGv2
    Options

sweeteners;

children’s meal.

discretion of the City.

sweeteners;

I really don't understand why it's such a big deal to ask for soda if you want your kid to have it.

If I'm reading it correctly, that would now cost extra.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The government has no business telling anyone what they can and cannot order with their meal. This is ridiculous.
  • salad_bar
    salad_bar Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lame.

I grew up (and generations before me grew up) getting a couple bucks from our parents and going to the local store to buy a pop and a bag of chips.

I won't go into my rant about controlled vs. non-controlled choices, but having a soda here and there, having some candy here and there, or having WHATEVER once in awhile DOES NOT contribute to being overweight/unhealthy/etc. What does contribute to that is the fact that this generation is glued to TV's, tablets, cell phones and other forms of technology.

To each their own, it's the parents decision. Personally I don't believe there is anything wrong with a kid having a soda once in awhile. For us, we were brought up in an environment that rarely had pop available in the house. It was a treat to have it at a birthday party, going out for fast food (again, that didn't happen often either) or to have on a Saturday with your friends.