Replies

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks to having read this thread when I first started, I even weighed xanthan gum when I was cooking yesterday. I don't know that I'd have found doing this as smooth a ride as it's been without these TRULY helpful posts.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Bump
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    abv.gif?m=1309298033
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    hansel2001 wrote: »
    my question is how to you weigh soup say like Campbell's chicken noodle soup weigh the liquid and noodles together or liquid then noodles and add them together just trying not to over think
    Many of the soups do not list their nutritional information based by weight, they list it based by volume even though the soup is not 100% liquid. I would either eat half a can, or the whole can of soup and just go off what the nutritional information says for the whole can.

I usually go by the package details, although I know that a certain amount of fudging is permitted. If I wanted to be super-accurate I would buy a cheap scale with a tare function. Put your bowl on the scale, get the weight of the scale, hit tare, pour the soup in the bowl. The scale will subtract the weight of the bowl, leaving you with the weight of the contents.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I disagree about weighing the food before cooking...meat especially! Because if you cook meat, A LOT if not all of the fat comes out! Vegetables will not be the same raw or cooked either because they lose water. I think you have to pay attention to your entries, whether they say cooked or raw, and find one that fits what you have. For example, I am not going to log an entry for sausage that claims it has zero of everything but calories!! I know that almond milk has calcium, so if I see a 0 on calcium, I know that entry is bad. If I see a 0 on potassium for greens, I know that entry is bad. You have to be educated and know what you are dealing with!

Good points. I've been wondering whether I should weigh my meat after cooking.

• Verdenal
    Options
    57jenna wrote: »
    Lol I have never seen anyone bring a scale to a restaurant and just start weighing everything. I say you just use your common sense to pick something healthy I mean don't go for anything fatty or full of carbs...a lot of restaurants have below 600 meals or whatever and they are good. You don't have to kill yourself over this stuff just don't ever give up on yourself and eventually you'll get to where you want to be :)

If you follow your plan 90% of the time a misstep here and there won't be fatal.
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »
    hansel2001 wrote: »
    my question is how to you weigh soup say like Campbell's chicken noodle soup weigh the liquid and noodles together or liquid then noodles and add them together just trying not to over think
    Many of the soups do not list their nutritional information based by weight, they list it based by volume even though the soup is not 100% liquid. I would either eat half a can, or the whole can of soup and just go off what the nutritional information says for the whole can.

I usually go by the package details, although I know that a certain amount of fudging is permitted. If I wanted to be super-accurate I would buy a cheap scale with a tare function. Put your bowl on the scale, get the weight of the scale, hit tare, pour the soup in the bowl. The scale will subtract the weight of the bowl, leaving you with the weight of the contents.
    I don't see how this would be any more accurate than just trusting the label. They can round up/down on calories listed on the label so you're not getting a precise calories per gram anyway. For example, if they say 100 calories per 100 gram serving it's probably between 95 and 104 if you're lucky....I say "if you're lucky" because I believe they are allowed to be off by as much as 20%. And your particular can of soup is likely to have slightly more or less calories than the sample they tested because it might have one more or fewer chunk of potato/meat/whatever than the tested sample.

You can jump through as many hoops as you want chasing 100% accuracy but you aren't going to get it. It's impossible. The label should be a good enough estimate for anyone. And if it isn't good enough then you shouldn't be eating it because there is no way for you to be more accurate. If you're that worried about accuracy you probably need to be making all of your food yourself from scratch.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Geez, you must have a never-ending supply of self-control and motivation to do something like this (weighing to the gram, always overestimating calorie amount, etc.).

It's really not that hard.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    With 23 pages, I'm sure there's some notorious debate afoot, but all in all, this is good information that I will consider going for.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    With 23 pages, I'm sure there's some notorious debate afoot, but all in all, this is good information that I will consider going for.
    Not really much of a debate at all. This is a pretty straight forward guide. One might argue that counting calories isn't necessary, but if that's their opinion, then why are they reading a calorie counting guide in the first place.
  • megb0224
    megb0224 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    My old mechanical spring scale needs an upgrade

May get a decent digital one this weekend

Even trying to weigh out portions has helped

And a quarter of a cup of mixed nuts is a super tiny amount

It is just wrong...
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    My old mechanical spring scale needs an upgrade

May get a decent digital one this weekend

Even trying to weigh out portions has helped

And a quarter of a cup of mixed nuts is a super tiny amount

It is just wrong...
    Nuts are one of the foods I think many many people overeat. It's true that when you weigh them up a serving size is quite small.
  • JasmineFighting
    JasmineFighting Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    I think I have not been putting in the correct way. Been trying to lose weight but seems like I'm putting on more.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump