What do you all do to strengthen willpower???

Options

Replies

• JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like to think that willpower is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I prefer the term "wantpower". If you WANT something badly enough, you will find a way to attain it. To me, "willing" something to happen is like shutting your eyes tightly, making a wish, and hoping it will magically happen.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    For me currently it's my wedding in Oct. I have just put my foot down and told myself I have to do this! Also...I recently watched Fed Up. That documentary will make you want to eat better and stay on track...lol Well at least for me!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    What do you do to strengthen a muscle?

Practice. Simple as that.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I prefer the term "wantpower". If you WANT something badly enough, you will find a way to attain it. To me, "willing" something to happen is like shutting your eyes tightly, making a wish, and hoping it will magically happen.
    It's just the opposite to me. Wanting is like trying. Do or do not, there is no try. When I will it to happen, it happens.

I spend Christmas with cookies and fudge everywhere. Easter with candy everywhere. Beyond what I've planned for, I just leave it alone.

If it's important enough, you'll manage it. If it's not, you'll give in.

• tulips_and_tea
    Options
    It's just the opposite to me. Wanting is like trying. Do or do not, there is no try. When I will it to happen, it happens.

I spend Christmas with cookies and fudge everywhere. Easter with candy everywhere. Beyond what I've planned for, I just leave it alone.

True. Regardless of all of our different definitions of willpower or motivation, it HAS to be found from within. Fittingly, a quote I received in an email today, "Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire under you, chances are it will burn very briefly.” - Stephen Covey
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Willpower is something you learn. You will never learn it if you always give in. But you'll always give in if you set yourself up for failure by having lots of stuff available that tempt you. If you resist stuff enough, it'll get easier to do. Work up to it gradually.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Why are you being "super strict" - are you going to be super strict with your diet for the rest of your life, or are you going to live a lifestyle that is healthy but normal..... Sugar is not the devil, and if you are not diabetic, you can have it (like most other things) in moderation....
    Maybe you won't have to strengthen your willpower if you don't but crazy strict limitations on yourself...I lost almost 60 lbs and kept it off and still had something sweet every day, and pizza and wine on weekends....

Moderation doesn't work for everyone.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    I used to be super strict with my diet but it seems that sugar has gotten the best of me lately (normally only at night) and I feel like I go in zombie mode... How do you guys strengthen your willpower? :)

I don't rely on willpower. Many studies over the past 20 years have shown that willpower is limited. I rely on structure: I don't bring things into the house that I shouldn't eat. I try to stay out of areas with food that is inconsistent with my eating plan.
  • Verdenal
    Options

Why don't we assume that the OP isn't wired as you are, otherwise she wouldn't have asked her question?
  • Kelven2330
    Kelven2330 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    the harder I work to keep myself healthy, the less I want to put bad stuff in there. I do have a thing for hard candy though, but as long as I can avoid taking the first one, I am ok.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

Why don't we assume that the OP isn't wired as you are, otherwise she wouldn't have asked her question?
    Why don't we assume that I wasn't responding to the OP, but to the person I quoted?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Planning (I prelog), and applying logic. I know that sounds silly, but I've always responded well to it.

I know what my body NEEDS now in a way that I never have before. I plan out my diary to fulfill my dietary NEEDS. Anything else? That's a want. As the Stones said... you can't always get that. And I'm okay with that. It's not leaving the planet. There's always tomorrow.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

No one is making assumptions. We are all offering our different view points on willpower and how it works for each of us. Differently. Because we are all different.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My willpower comes from my weekly weigh ins. A quarter of a lb is a loss And my ultimate put the food down strength comes from last year when I needed 4 nurses to move me from bed to bed. That will never happen ever again
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Willpower (self-control) is overrated. It is a limited resource, so I wouldn't depend on it in all situations. The attached article describes self-control like a pool rather than a muscle, that once depleted, takes a while to build up again.

http://now.uiowa.edu/2012/06/your-brain-no-self-control

I develop strategies where I might experience challenges to limit their impact. For instance, having a healthier snack on hand if I'm travelling, so I don't give in to poorer choices. I have a snack late afternoon when I have my energy slump, so I don't cave to automatic eating when I get home. I make my salad in the morning (my energy peak) to be available as a better choice during the evening (energy slump).
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    My willpower comes from my weekly weigh ins. A quarter of a lb is a loss And my ultimate put the food down strength comes from last year when I needed 4 nurses to move me from bed to bed. That will never happen ever again

There ya go! Congrats to you for your progress so far. Outstanding!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Willpower (self-control) is overrated. It is a limited resource, so I wouldn't depend on it in all situations.
    So is the sun's hydrogen. That something is limited doesn't mean it can't be sufficient.

Some people may have more success with other approaches, but that doesn't make willpower overrated.