Informal Poll: Mean People

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I get asked if I am on gear from time to time. That "could" be considered a negative I guess? Since I'm not, I look at it as a positive though...
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My grandmother told me I was too chubby when I was five. *Sigh* Really set me off right. I didn't even know what that meant really, but for some reason, it has stuck with me.

I also had a customer refer to me as "the heavy one" in a place where there were only two females working. The other female was a 4'0, black-haired Vietnamese woman. I thought, "Really? There's no other way you could have described me that would've distinguished me from her??"

Edit: Forgot to tell the rest of the story. XP

When I got older and started losing weight, my grandmother became offended that I wouldn't eat everything she put in front of me. You can't have it both ways, Granny.

And that same customer? Looked me up and down when I started losing weight and said I'd gotten too muscular.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I was actually told by a coworker last year, and I quote, "You'd be a really pretty girl if you'd lose some of that weight". I act like it doesn't bother me, but part of my motivation is losing this weight by January which is when I return to work.

Shameful the things people say. Nothing wrong with using that as motivation as long as you do not actually believe it!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm down 55 pounds and at a midrange BMI and have yet to hear a mean comment about my weight loss.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Never.

Got plenty of concerned advice when I was fat, but the journey of losing has generating nothing but positive comments and reinforcements and congratulations.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have family tell me all the time that I am too thin. I take it as a positive though, as those comments come from overweight people, all of which are dealing with heart issues or diabetes. So, to me, I welcome their remarks, as it validates what I am doing.
  • amy102875
    amy102875 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've started getting comments now that I'm finally out of the obese range. I still have 20 lbs. to lose to get to a healthy BMI, but people are already saying I don't need to lose any more. Not mean comments, just when I say I'd like to lose 20 more they say, "but there'd be nothing left of you" or like that.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I was actually told by a coworker last year, and I quote, "You'd be a really pretty girl if you'd lose some of that weight". I act like it doesn't bother me, but part of my motivation is losing this weight by January which is when I return to work.

Shameful the things people say. Nothing wrong with using that as motivation as long as you do not actually believe it!

I try not to let it get to me, but it still sticks with me. Luckily, my husband is super supportive and reminds me not to believe it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I get more crap after I lost the weight than when I was fat.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    >High Normal BMI
    >Midrange BMI
    >Low BMI
    >Underweight

People have actually made comments like that to me from my "fattest" to my "fittest".

backwards-bunny-hop.gif
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    at no point...

given the number of times I've read through threads like this, I've largely deduced that this is a female thing...

CW, I think you could be on to something. :)

I was an obese kid and my dad, brothers, and those outside of home used to make comments all the time. As a young adult, people were pretty mean about my weight too. Now that I've lost to goal, I get comments that I'm too thin, which isn't true (5 ft 5 and 139/140 lbs).

However, not once did my ex husband any boyfriend, or my current man, ever say anything mean about my weight.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    People don't say mean things to me either. I am just not particularly approachable. If anyone ever did say something mean, I either never heard it or just disregarded it because I have no recollection of it.

I did however have an intervention once due when I dropped weight very fast after my 2nd child was born due to said disordered eating. It's been a problem on and off since 6th grade. I was well under a healthy weight and making myself quite sick.

It was not mean, though. It was purely out of concern and they were absolutely correct. I couldn't hear it then and it was not until I landed myself in the Dr's office a couple weeks later that I realized the problems I was causing myself.

I think overall that people have a hard time seeing people who are at a healthy weight as healthy due to the obesity epidemic. It is like an unhealthy high weight looks normal now and a healthy weight looks underweight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    At what stage of your weight loss did you begin hearing unsolicited mean comments from those around you? Anything from passive-aggressive barbs to "you have an eating disorder." I would love to hear context, too.

>Obese
    >Overweight
    >High Normal BMI
    >Midrange BMI
    >Low BMI
    >Underweight

None that I can think of. I have a midrange BMI (22). I've been thinner in the past and not experienced that also. It's possibly quite different social circle to social circle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    at no point...

given the number of times I've read through threads like this, I've largely deduced that this is a female thing...

I was an obese kid and my dad, brothers, and those outside of home used to make comments all the time. As a young adult, people were pretty mean about my weight too. Now that I've lost to goal, I get comments that I'm too thin, which isn't true (5 ft 5 and 139/140 lbs).

However, not once did my ex husband any boyfriend, or my current man, ever say anything mean about my weight.

chicks are mean...srsly...95% of the personnel problems I have to deal with at the office are females fighting with each other or unhappy because so and so said such and such and, "I'm not talkin' to that *kitten* any more" kind of *kitten*.

the dudes are just sitting around like WTF just happened here?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It wasn't really mean, but both my mom and dad have told me in so many words, "Don't lose TOO much weight!"

That was said to me when I was about maybe a BMI of 23, so high normal. In no way, shape or form am I TOO thin. In fact, my body fat percentage is probably still hovering around 30 or so. Too damn high anyway.

And yeah, both my folks are overweight by about 50 pounds or so.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    at no point...

chicks are mean...srsly...95% of the personnel problems I have to deal with at the office are females fighting with each other or unhappy because so and so said such and such and, "I'm not talkin' to that *kitten* any more" kind of *kitten*.

hahahahahaha indeed!! i totally agree with that, that's why i always always choose to do everything with man, and i don't know it may have something to do that i grew up in a man majority house and got use to work with them and even when i'm a female and i must say that yes man are simple and less drama
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    The only time I got mean comments about my weight was from my dad, when I was a pre-teen and in through adulthood, always calling me Pork or Porky or making comments about how I sounded like a herd of elephants when I went by. I was not even remotely close to being overweight - I was a healthy normal weight.

I had some friends make comments about me being "Skinny Minnie" but again, I was in a normal BMI for my height. I was 5'6" and weighed about 125 lbs then. I found it annoying.

Once I became actually obese, nobody made any comments whatsoever, except for my ex boss who hadn't seen me in 8 years - I went from 125 to 225 in that time and he commented "Eh, packin' on the pounds, aren't ya?" What he didn't know was that I had been pregnant 4 times in 5 years and had just given birth to my 3rd child (or 4th if you count my miscarriage between #1 and #2.)

• wizzybeth
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I kinda thought this thread was going to be about mean people on mfp. :/

Me too!
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    at no point...

Yes, I agree..