Getting jeered at whilst exercising

I get jeered at every time I cycle/run I'm trying not to let it get me down but it's so mean. I'm trying to do something about being a "fatty" so why do they feel the need to be horrible? Tonight it was "Pedal fat girl, pedal!" Other nights it's been "Fatty run...Earthquake!"

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Is this in a public gym? That is terrible!

the-man-in-the-arena2.jpg
  • DanieRCC
    DanieRCC Posts: 332 Member
    edited June 2015
    This is awful. Those people need to be fonged! I agree headphones.

I commend you for your hardwork! Don't let the stupid people get you down.
  • havalynd
    havalynd Posts: 54 Member
    What gym do you go to? See what their tolerance is toward negativity in the gym space. They may ask rude patrons to leave if you report them.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    When I was a marathon training someone would yell "Run Forest Run!" from their car at least once a week. Just ignore it and continue with your workout. Why give them enough power to ruin your day?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Think about what it will be like when you are sexy and they are still not.
  • RadRac01
    RadRac01 Posts: 14 Member
    Tell the gym's management. They want to draw people in. If those people are jeering at you they may be jeering at others as well, and that's bad for business.

If you tell gym management in a firm voice with conviction that these people are harassing you, they should take action.

If they do not, they do not need your business. And I'd suggest reporting them at that point or at least a bad yelp review.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Can't fix stupid. Just carry on. If you find it continues to bother you, see if you can work out in a group. It might reduce the idiocy.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Is this in a public gym? That is terrible!

the-man-in-the-arena2.jpg
    havalynd wrote: »
    What gym do you go to? See what their tolerance is toward negativity in the gym space. They may ask rude patrons to leave if you report them.
    RadRac01 wrote: »
    Tell the gym's management. They want to draw people in. If those people are jeering at you they may be jeering at others as well, and that's bad for business.

If you tell gym management in a firm voice with conviction that these people are harassing you, they should take action.

If they do not, they do not need your business. And I'd suggest reporting them at that point or at least a bad yelp review.

Pretty sure she is exercising outside, not in a gym...
  • VickiLynn1101
    VickiLynn1101 Posts: 5 Member
    If this is a public place where you pay your hard earned money, I would complain to management. That is unacceptable. Bullying is NEVER acceptable. Just know it doesn't matter size when it comes to bullies. They are insecure and only feel better when they are putting someone down. YOU ARE BETTER THAN THEM. Keep your head up. You have nothing to be ashamed about. Ugh!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    You're outside right? God I hate people sometimes.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Wow. That is NOT ok. Sorry I don't have any other advice for you but I'd try havalynd's advice.
    havalynd wrote: »

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Yikes! Outside, I am assuming?

Definitely seconding headphones. And reflective sunglasses. Think intimidating and unavailable. If they think you won't hear or see them, or think you might turn on them, they might not bother trying to get a reaction out of you.

And I like the tank top above. :D

Maybe take a look and see if there's a different route you could cycle/run / neighbourhoods you could avoid. Are there any local parks or trails you could go to? Or see if you can find a cycle/running partner, for at least some of the time. If you'd be just as happy indoors, you could try a gym, but don't let anyone chase you inside if outside is where you're happiest.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Headphones. Nothing is more annoying to them than your blissful oblivion to their "clever" remarks. Someday you will be stronger and have badass endurance, and they'll still be jerks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Aha! Outside. Idiot central. I've only got honks and waves when I'm picking up garbage on my runs, and I've concluded they were friendly.

Then I'm with Theodore Roosevelt.

How about a running partner. You can flip off the idiots together.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Just remember the tiny booty you're gonna have. Makes it all worth it. Also headphones :smile:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Some people simply aren't worth saving, as evidenced by those to sling such random insults.

This site needs more Teddy Roosevelt!
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    One has to question their motives. They are jeering because you are doing something they feel uncomfortable with- namely getting fitter, stronger and healthier; improving yourself. Your presence makes them look at themselves as you see them- and they feel inadequate in comparison. Their choice is to either immediately stop what they are doing and join you, or try to stop you doing what you are doing. Abusing you is a form of defence for their failings. One day you'll no longer be "fatty" (horrible term!) - but the haters will always be insecure and nasty. Don't be upset, angry or disheartened :smile: You're doing great! The haters are the ones we should pity >:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2015

That's f***ing horrible. I'd suggest headphones so you don't have to hear it. And then just remind yourself that they're close-minded idiots and that you're doing amazing things!

Just ignore, don't engage back.. that never turns out well, as when you're running or biking you're in a vulnerable position if they stop or whatever.

How about changing this to take control and smiling to yourself... and began saying to yourself ..RUN Forest RUN and blast the Rocky Theme Song as you continue to run!

Whatever it takes to block insensitive ppl out and keep you focused on what you're truly out there for.

It sucks ppl do that... it truly does... we have to rise above it and not allow ourselves to get sucked in, not easy but do-able and definitely worth it. Ppl that do that sort of things are nobodies, they spend time tearing others down for what.......... nothing. Screw the non-supporters.

We think you're AWESOME you start thinking that as well and it won't sting so much!!!!

YOU are out enjoying yourself, getting some fun exercise in, doing good things for your mind, spirit and body. YOU WIN!

• Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    It's not a gym it's outside. I cycle to my run and the run twice round a park then cycle home.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate the support.