Getting jeered at whilst exercising

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    Yes it's a group of teenagers who are always there, I'm in Wiltshire, England. It's generally a nice place to live but this is getting me down. I think I will try to change my route so I can avoid them, I would happily go further if I don't get shouted at.

Ya know what? That's a great idea... I didn't realize this happened every single time you're out and it's the same group of kids.... :/ You'd get some fresh new place to workout and more peace and quiet... sounds like a plan :)
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    I am so sorry. I live in a small town, and have only been heckled once. It would be awful to put up with it all the time. I am so, so sorry.

I usually don't suggest headphones while on roads, but they're an option.

I strongly prefer exercising outside, and cycling is definitely my favorite, but a gym might be a safer place, emotionally, if there's one close enough and affordable enough to be an option. Before joining, I would definitely suggest asking about their negativity policy. If it's a gym where heckling is tolerated, it's a bad idea. Planet Fitness prides itself as the "No Judgement Zone" and I've seen the local one here kick out three people for heckling a kid who was having trouble with dumbbells (the weights, not the hecklers … though I guess it works either way).

Anyway, … Also, feel free to vent. You're doing something good, and those people are trying to make themselves feel better by taking it away from you. Please, don't let them. You're great, and they suck.

Maybe you need to lose some weight. But you can fix that, and you're working on it. But their attitudes need to improve, and they're not making any headway. When it comes to who's winning at life, you're so far ahead of them that in a just universe you wouldn't even hear them.

Carry on. Best wishes, and good luck!
  • zen_life
    zen_life Posts: 2 Member
    Hey... First of all you are awesome for doing what u are doing... And people who are jeering at u are mostly doing so to compensate for their low self esteem... Keep going... Headphones usually help... Tune d world out and just run... U on your journey to healthy you... I get called fat cow or whale when I run pretty often.. . Haters are gonna hate... Whether they can ruin your day or not is up to you... Just remember it takes a lot of courage to put yourselves out there in public when you feel most vulnerable... U r really awesome.. and u r getting better with each step you take... Please never give up... We all are rooting and cheering for you...

Good luck op...
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Little jerks. Disgusting.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,477 Member
    edited June 2015
    The only thing more amazing than the level of their ness is the level of your courage and determination!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Pretty sure my baser nature would take over at this point. I'd at least consider shooting them the finger. Then, when you're a hotty and they're paying attention to you for a different reason, shut 'em down cold.

Eventually, I'd realize that they have little miserable little lives that cause them to act so badly, and I'd feel genuinely sorry for them.

Bottom line, don't let their hate keep you from accomplishing your dreams. Sorry you have to go through that, though. ((hug))
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'd suggest headphones so you don't have to hear it. And then just remind yourself that they're close-minded idiots and that you're doing amazing things!
    This, also when they do see the head phones- they will get the point and leave as in they may not show up when you do but other times of the day because they know that messing with you is a waste of their time. Head phones help alot. Yeah and crank the music up-no point in having them if you can still hear them-out of sight out of mind. Funny how some phrases-as simple minded as they are-actually work :) Wish you lots of luck- dumb teenagers

• RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited June 2015
    I live on the East coast of 'Merica and when I ran outdoors in the day (starting out in my health/fitness lifestyle) I never wore head phones so I could be in tune with my surroundings to help me stay distracted from me running (cause I didn't appreciate it at the time) I never got harassed but cat-calls and honks were at a constant that I had to get n mp3 (vs iPod-too big to carry :/ )
    And it worked. I cranked it up and ever since THAT day when I wear them I don't even notice. But it was pretty awful that year- that was years ago. It was just so awful but in the opposite sense that I wasn't getting called out for being fat but being objectified because I looked good to perverts while running. It was awful-I do feel your pain of harassment-any kind of it is just not right.

When you ignore something with determination to focus on what YOUR doing-it should eventually go away-meaning the teenagers-too bad you guys don't allow pepper spray out there-or do you? I would always carry one cause* if someone would just TRY to get me feel awful by hurting me (because I'm ignoring them) I would give them a HEALTHY dose of pepper! I never leave my house without some kind of defense. When i was little and had to walk to school alone I carried salt and a knife/or sharp object. I felt safe and I made sure know one would know about them.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Yes it's a group of teenagers who are always there, I'm in Wiltshire, England. It's generally a nice place to live but this is getting me down. I think I will try to change my route so I can avoid them, I would happily go further if I don't get shouted at.

Ahh it all makes sense now, the minute I saw your post it conjured up memories in my mind. I am sorry to any Brits I don't want to offend anyone but this is such a problem in some parts of the UK these days, it was like that where I was in Yorkshire before I left. I used to be uncomfortable just walking to the corner shop sometimes if I had to pass teens.

I would definitely try to change your route if you can to avoid them, you shouldn't have to, but nothing is going to stop them having their 'fun' at your expense and you deserve to exercise in peace.

It's true, too, isn't it, that fitness isn't as done in general? People hike but don't so much jog or go to gyms, right? It was that way when I was there.
  • MOMOEATER
    MOMOEATER Posts: 86 Member

I had a feeling it was teenagers. They say teens say and do stupid things because their frontal lobes of their brain are still immature. Knowing this helps me to understand why they can be so disrespectful.

I would change the route and listen to music.
  • moriyama2015
    moriyama2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Laugh at them! What loosers! Really and truely view them as jokes. They have some issues mentally lol.
    Just Do you. Don't give up. Focus. You health & u are the most important things. Rise above this!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    It's not a gym it's outside.

Shake it off. You must. Don't let a few idiots win. They are losers, you are the winner in this story, no doubt about it.
    I cycle to my run and the run twice round a park then cycle home.

That's fantastic! B R A V O ! ! !

Seriously... you've got your act together. Ignore the few cretins out there and know that the vast majority of people, if they notice you at all, are applauding you silently. When I was at my heaviest and saw someone out riding or running I wished I was them.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Being polite is your best defense. Stop running, face them, give them a huge smile, and say, "Thank you so much for your comments!" in your best sweet voice. They will run away rather than answer you.
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Being polite is your best defense. Stop running, face them, give them a huge smile, and say, "Thank you so much for your comments!" in your best sweet voice. They will run away rather than answer you.

For a pack of teenagers in a public park who own their territory by harassing women, this is terrible advice. I'm sorry to call you out, but I really need to be clear about that.

For the OP, a pack of teens menacing the public is an early step towards later delinquency, and it would probably be a good idea to report it to the police's non-emergency number. Tell them the numbers of kids, time of day, location, and any identifying characteristics of the ones who are actually speaking to you, like the shoes and jacket and hairstyle. I hear mixed things about local police in the UK, but my top-tier police force takes a behavioral approach to crappy teenagers and posts someone there to make them move on, or tickets them for loitering so that they can identify them later if they assault someone or start trying to knock people like you off your bike. Those teenagers are horrible, but you are the adult and the one who is carrying yourself responsibly, and you have more power than you realize.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    I'm so sorry. You are brave. Remember, you are doing this for you, but at the same time think of all the people who may be watching you and getting inspired by you. You'll probably never know them or hear them shouting from their cars, but I'm sure they outnumbers the *kitten*.
  • cindys921
    cindys921 Posts: 396 Member
    Ignore them! I know easier said that done sometimes. Know that you are doing the right thing by getting healthy. Some people are just downright nasty. Karma will come around!!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Ignore them is solid advice.

A BB gun is more fun.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited June 2015

For a pack of teenagers in a public park who own their territory by harassing women, this is terrible advice. I'm sorry to call you out, but I really need to be clear about that.

For the OP, a pack of teens menacing the public is an early step towards later delinquency, and it would probably be a good idea to report it to the police's non-emergency number. Tell them the numbers of kids, time of day, location, and any identifying characteristics of the ones who are actually speaking to you, like the shoes and jacket and hairstyle. I hear mixed things about local police in the UK, but my top-tier police force takes a behavioral approach to crappy teenagers and posts someone there to make them move on, or tickets them for loitering so that they can identify them later if they assault someone or start trying to knock people like you off your bike. Those teenagers are horrible, but you are the adult and the one who is carrying yourself responsibly, and you have more power than you realize.

In the UK there is something called an ASBO to deal with delinquents-in-training. "Using verbal abuse or otherwise harrassing passers-by" qualifies as anti-social behaviour in this context. The problem is that in some 'communities' it's some kind of badge of honour to have one. But if they're just little jerks acting up it might set them back on the right course.

If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour, report incidents to your local police, Housing Executive office, or council.

Record as many details of the incidents as possible, including:

what happened
    where it happened
    what time it happened
    names or descriptions of who was involved
    the effect the behaviour had on you

If you would like more information on what is being done in your area to tackle anti-social behaviour contact your local police, Housing Executive office, or district council.

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Ignore them. haters gonna hate.
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    this is why i hate humans. horrible horrible people. don't let them stop you and make sure you turn this in to motivation