Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Last night I came home from work and was super sad that my degu was not here to greet me. Usually when I walked in the door he would start squeaking and jumping up along the side of the cage looking for me to take him out and pet him for a bit. Then he would usually snuggle into my arm or on my lap for lovins, just like in my photo I posted of him on my lap.

Then I went to bed, and there is a big huge empty space in my bedroom where his cage used to go.

My confession is that then I got so sad, I had a binge, IN BED.....I ate nearly an entire large bag of chips, two apple turnovers, two chocolate bars, and some candy and nuts.....and guess what, when I was done, I WAS STILL SAD.

Well, time to dust myself off and start again.....

I usually log my food six days a week, as I feel I need a day off or I get sick of it and stop altogether....I did not log the last two days, just because I felt too blah to do anything. I am gonna make sure I log and stay under my calorie goal this week, as next weekend is ribfest so I will want to indulge there in some meat and funnel cake, lol, and take my day off logging then.

I just want to thank everyone again for the kind words, I am 100% confident I did the right thing. I trust my vet 100% and know she would have told me if he had any chance, and the last thing I would want is for him to suffer. I just miss him because he was so interactive with me. He literally spent more time with me in a day than my cat does.....

I have been trying to decide what to do next. I have his cage put away in my daughter's room so I didn't have to look at it for a couple days while she was up at her boyfriends place. She is on her way home now though, and will have to bring it back out. I have been thinking about if I want another caged pet or not. I would love to have more degu, but they are really hard to take care of, I found I was always worried about him. I thought about a bunny or a ferret too, but do not really know yet. I also might not get another animal at all and just get rid of the cage. It is a giant two level cage on wheels, big enough for a large animal, my degu lived like a king, lol.

Anyone here have any experience with bunnies or ferrets? I hear they both can smell bad.......

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Last night I came home from work and was super sad that my degu was not here to greet me. Usually when I walked in the door he would start squeaking and jumping up along the side of the cage looking for me to take him out and pet him for a bit. Then he would usually snuggle into my arm or on my lap for lovins, just like in my photo I posted of him on my lap.

Then I went to bed, and there is a big huge empty space in my bedroom where his cage used to go.

My confession is that then I got so sad, I had a binge, IN BED.....I ate nearly an entire large bag of chips, two apple turnovers, two chocolate bars, and some candy and nuts.....and guess what, when I was done, I WAS STILL SAD.

I usually log my food six days a week, as I feel I need a day off or I get sick of it and stop altogether....I did not log the last two days, just because I felt too blah to do anything. I am gonna make sure I log and stay under my calorie goal this week, as next weekend is ribfest so I will want to indulge there in some meat and funnel cake, lol, and take my day off logging then.

I just want to thank everyone again for the kind words, I am 100% confident I did the right thing. I trust my vet 100% and know she would have told me if he had any chance, and the last thing I would want is for him to suffer. I just miss him because he was so interactive with me. He literally spent more time with me in a day than my cat does.....

I have been trying to decide what to do next. I have his cage put away in my daughter's room so I didn't have to look at it for a couple days while she was up at her boyfriends place. She is on her way home now though, and will have to bring it back out. I have been thinking about if I want another caged pet or not. I would love to have more degu, but they are really hard to take care of, I found I was always worried about him. I thought about a bunny or a ferret too, but do not really know yet. I also might not get another animal at all and just get rid of the cage. It is a giant two level cage on wheels, big enough for a large animal, my degu lived like a king, lol.

Anyone here have any experience with bunnies or ferrets? I hear they both can smell bad.......
    Ferrets can definitely smell bad, but I think these days they have their scent gland removed, so that might not be a problem. Rabbits can be house-trained and be very friendly. My sister had a very sweet rabbit and from her I learned that female rabbits are prone to ovarian cancer, so it's standard procedure to remove them when they're young.

To be honest, I'd put the cage into storage and wait a while. You're still grieving and in my opinion that's not usually the best time to get another pet. Why not give yourself a break and see how you feel in a month or two? I understand the need to fill the gap, but your cute little guy was obviously very special and it might not be the best idea to try to replace him. Maybe your cat will be a bit friendlier now he has no competition?!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

❤️❤️ still sending lots of hugs and happy thoughts your way!

I'm not totally sure about bunnies, but I've had family members have pet ferrets and oh my god they smelled so bad! Then again, it probably wouldn't be so bad if the cage and whatnot was kept clean, I do remember those family members weren't good at keeping that up.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Ferrets can definitely smell bad, but I think these days they have their scent gland removed, so that might not be a problem. Rabbits can be house-trained and be very friendly. My sister had a very sweet rabbit and from her I learned that female rabbits are prone to ovarian cancer, so it's standard procedure to remove them when they're young.

To be honest, I'd put the cage into storage and wait a while. You're still grieving and in my opinion that's not usually the best time to get another pet. Why not give yourself a break and see how you feel in a month or two? I understand the need to fill the gap, but your cute little guy was obviously very special and it might not be the best idea to try to replace him. Maybe your cat will be a bit friendlier now he has no competition?!

I guess I should have said I do plan to wait a while, at least a month or so. I have just been thinking, that's all....
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I first logged onto MFP on April 6th. It was the day after Easter and I was feeling the weight of the family dinner.

I had a talk with my elder son about his dissatisfaction with his career, his social life, and himself. Like any good mother, I gave him fabulous advice - that he probably won't follow - but that got me thinking about following my own advice. It all boiled down to, "Make the changes that will make you happy."

I wasn't happy with my weight or general fitness. I ate far too much crap because it briefly made me feel better, at least until the guilt set in. So, I'd have another cupcake or some more chips and try not to think about it. I was like a junkie, the more I ate, the more I needed to eat to feel better. Of course none of this was making me feel better about myself.

So, I took the bull by the horns and became my own science project. I weighed in at 170 lbs. on April 6th. This morning I was 142 lbs. I have been keeping a mental list of NSV and there have been quite a few. Yesterday, I twisted myself into a knot climb through a small attic window to get to a low roof to inspect a higher roof. Before Easter, it would have been a painful and graceless act, possibly involving squeezing on my belly and never witnessed by clients. But yesterday, it was one leg through, foot on the roof, bend, head out, and pull the other leg through. I even managed to keep talking to my clients while doubled-over. They were amazed and so was I.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry for the loss of your pet. It's hard to lose a fur baby.

• kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I had ferrets in high school. They only smelt bad when it was my brother's turn to clean up after them. If you keep their cages clean they don't smell but you have to clean the cage about every 2-3 days. They have a huge range of personalities, too, so spend time with a couple of them before you decide which one you want.

We lucked out with our first, Sydney, who was really affectionate and playful. She died in an unfortunate game of hide and seek. My stepdad plopped down in his recliner not thinking to check if Sydney was hiding under there first. She was. He actually tried CPR but she was gone. He felt so bad that he went out and got a new ferret later that week. The one he got was pretty aggressive and not affectionate at all so my parents gave her away while I was on a school trip.
  • Tubbs216
    Options

❤️❤️ still sending lots of hugs and happy thoughts your way!

I'm not totally sure about bunnies, but I've had family members have pet ferrets and oh my god they smelled so bad! Then again, it probably wouldn't be so bad if the cage and whatnot was kept clean, I do remember those family members weren't good at keeping that up.
    Haha! When I was a young teenager I had a little Saturday morning job working with animals that a guy in my area used to take into schools for education sessions. Basically I cleaned all the cages and got covered in s*#@. I would go to meet friends afterwards in what became known as my 'ferret sweater' because I always carried a certain aroma with me.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Why do I not feel the full signals? Why do I keep eating? Why do I undo all my hard work?

I have sat and eaten an entire vienetta, in less than 20 minutes. And I didn't even enjoy it that much, crappie chocolate flavouring. Also, the 8 or 10 caramel crispy bites I inhaled.

I suck and I'm never going to lose weight or climb mountains if I carry on like this
  • tigerThea
    tigerThea Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sch614 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    We say 'Got the painters in', although I also refer delicately to my 'lady time'.
    Shark week seems a little harsh to me.

I pretty much just say I jave my period. I had a friend who called it her little friend which I always thought was weird to me it is an enemy. Time of month makes sense to me too. Shark week is weird.

My mom used to call it the "visitor", which bothered me for some reason. I usually call it Aunt Flo or that time of month.

I weighed myself again today, and the scale says I've lost like 2lbs since yesterday. It said 197.6 yesterday and I just weighed and it said 195.2. May just be water weight, but I'll take it! :laugh:

Is it bad that I weigh myself daily? It's pretty much the only way I stay focused on this. Lol.
    Great loss!
    I don't know if it's bad, but I weigh myself ALL the time. Pretty much any time I find myself naked in the bathroom. First thing in the morning - weigh, shower after a run - weigh, getting ready for bed - weigh. I actually like to watch the fluctuations - this way I know I'm always at least 2lbs heavier at night than I am in the morning. I also know when I'm retaining water due to sodium from the day before (hopefully that's why I'm up a pound today).

I do the same thing, but I think most would say it's bad if you make judgements about yourself based in a number. Or become too occupied with it. I want to rely on how my clothes feel to judge but I always default to the scale, imprecise as it is. I like weighing after a long bike ride or run too, it just makes me feel fitter even if it's probably water!

I "heard" shark week for the first time on the thread. Couldn't figure out the hullabaloo over tv...oops.

I don't think it's bad to weigh multiple times a day...I think it depends on the person though. I know when I weigh more than once it takes over my life. I can't maintain the logic of weight fluctuating during the day, I know it does, but when I start weighing its all about that and I beat myself up. Knowing this I weigh Saturday's and use my wii...but I do hate that little voice, "that's obese." Oh well, the games are fun.

I hope everyone is having a nice day, I'm going to go bug my niece and nephew now
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

So sorry about your baby. It sounds like you were an excellent owner and he had a great and comfortable life. He was certainly a cutie, too, that's for sure.

I've had bunnies, and they were both very different. We had one that was very aggressive. It would shriek, bite, and claw at you... it also had deep red eyes like it came from hell itself. It was eventually killed by our neighbor's dog, who ran into our house when the door was opened. :( My sister got a bunny years later, and it was the sweetest and cutest thing. She had one ear up and one ear down, constantly. She also loved to snuggle with my cats, and she was so cute when she hopped around.

You just have to make sure you have wires kept out of the way, because they will chew on anything they can get their teeth into. They can be litter box trained, I believe (My sister's was). Animals are great and, I think, very therapeutic. :)

EDIT: Oh, and my sister's bunny didn't smell bad at all! She smelled pretty good, actually... like clean fur and her yogurt treats.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Why do I not feel the full signals? Why do I keep eating? Why do I undo all my hard work?

I have sat and eaten an entire vienetta, in less than 20 minutes. And I didn't even enjoy it that much, crappie chocolate flavouring. Also, the 8 or 10 caramel crispy bites I inhaled.

I suck and I'm never going to lose weight or climb mountains if I carry on like this

That may be the reason. Try this and see if it makes a difference:
    Only eat food off of a plate, using utensils, no out of the bag or box, no carrying by hand
    Only eat at a table, focusing only on your food, no phone/computer/book/tv/etc to distract you
    Put the utensils down between each bite, and be mindful of the process of chewing, count chews if you have to, or just count time between new bites, whichever is more comfortable
    Challenge yourself to make a single serving meal last 30 minutes

I used to have a horrible binging disorder, and that's what the therapist had me start doing to get it under control. Not suggesting you have the same - I had counselling to go with it, but the same techniques should work for you. Once I made those into habits, I didn't have to concentrate quite so much on what I was eating, but I still have to be aware, especially if I'm working somewhere that gives me limited meal times.
  • Tubbs216
    Options

So sorry about your baby. It sounds like you were an excellent owner and he had a great and comfortable life. He was certainly a cutie, too, that's for sure.

I've had bunnies, and they were both very different. We had one that was very aggressive. It would shriek, bite, and claw at you... it also had deep red eyes like it came from hell itself. It was eventually killed by our neighbor's dog, who ran into our house when the door was opened. :( My sister got a bunny years later, and it was the sweetest and cutest thing. She had one ear up and one ear down, constantly. She also loved to snuggle with my cats, and she was so cute when she hopped around.

You just have to make sure you have wires kept out of the way, because they will chew on anything they can get their teeth into. They can be litter box trained, I believe (My sister's was). Animals are great and, I think, very therapeutic. :)

EDIT: Oh, and my sister's bunny didn't smell bad at all! She smelled pretty good, actually... like clean fur and her yogurt treats.

My son's little Mary (gerbil) smells nice like that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Sorry... that's tough :(

Chinchillas are great too. But the big difference is where you get them from... That was my mistake when I got degus and chinchillas, not to get them from someone who got them used to being handled... so they were all too wild.

Have you considered a rat? Fantastic pets.
  • FluffySandwich
    Options
    I agree that rats are great pets, and I grew up with a lot of guinea pigs that were also cute and sweet. The only problem was that males CANNOT be kept together. Our female, Snowball, gave birth to a lot of guinea pigs that we mostly gave away to people, but we kept a little boy (Wiggles). Wiggles and his father (Pumpernickel) hated eachother with a passion, so we kept him with his mom. They do like to talk a lot, so they can be noisy, but they're sweet pets. My mom is in love with them.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have a confession, had major donut cravings today (maybe it was reading this thread last night and it's a subconscious thing? maybe it was the beautiful almost 'artistic' photo of a glazed donut my friend poster on fb, who knows...) and stood in the pastries isle for a good 3 minutes when I did the shopping earlier. Only reason I put the donuts back was because they were 250 calories each and I know I couldnt have controlled myself to just one...so I bought kitkats instead. At least they're individually portioned and only just over 100 calories right? ;D
  • louindared
    louindared Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this qualifies as a confession. I have been a yo-yo dieter for years (10lbs off - 10lbs on - 12lbs off - 13lbs on.....you know he senario) but this year I am heading into my fifties. On January 1st I made a decision to lose weight once & for all. I quickly hit the ever ready binge days & cravings ut i cme up wih an idea hat has kept me on the straight and narrow & am now 30lbs lighter & a lot happier.
    So my secret is I have a book & when I feel urges or cravings I have a conversation with myself & it works....it goes something like this.....
    Me : "Hi book, I feel like I need some ice cream & chocolate...feeling sad."
    Book : "Hi, If you go ahead & have the ice cream & chocolate will it make you feel better?"
    Me : "Yes it will."
    Book : "For how long?"
    Me : "I'm no sure but it will taste so good."
    Book : "And twenty minutes after you have eaten the ice cream & the chocolate will your sadness still be there or will you have found a fantastic discovery for sadness."
    Me : "I suppose I'll still have he sadness."
    Book : "And how much sadder will you feel tomorrow knowing what you've just eaten?"
    Me : "Ok, ok I get it but I still have that craving."
    Book : "So lets think of a healthy alternative to the ice cream & chocolate or let's find something else to do for a little while to see if the craving disappears.....you can also read this section a few times to really understand how sad the ice cream & chocolate will make you feel tomorrow.....so what alternatives shall we look at?"

..........and the conversation goes on until my craving has gone & sometimes I just go in & read extracts from previous days & this really does keep me on track.....The only person I cheat when I cheat is myself.

Mad as a hatter I know but that's my confession
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't count the calories in cherry/grape tomatoes, mustard, onions and pepperoncini peppers. I also sometimes slightly over exaggerate the calorie content of some foods to be "safe" in my calories. Like the baked goods at Whole Foods which I love, their brownies & pineapple upside down cake (single serve) seem to be "low" so I will say I had 2 servings instead of 1 so I don't assume I have more calories than I do.
  • FluffySandwich
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I looked up peanut butter pies and now I have gotten myself into trouble. My mom, brother, and grandparents are coming up tomorrow for my graduation so I expect we will be eating out a lot in the next couple of days. I REALLY WANT A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE.

But why did I go and look up tasty chocolate peanut butter pies? I do myself in... ugh.

Edit: Good news is I also really want a spinach salad and am salivating over pictures.
  • Sch614
    Sch614 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Last night I went to some food truck festival. There were people walking around with giant delicious looking turkey legs, but my boyfriend and I got in line for some pulled pork poutine and a couple of beers. I couldn't finish my poutine (gave it to my boyfriend) and felt SO FULL and sick to the point where looking at and smelling the food around me was making me nauseous. It's moments like these when I look at all the foods I have been craving and think ''WHY WOULD I WANT THAT?'' If only I could keep that mindset with me at all times, cause it's a new day and I'm starving again.

... I'm so sad that I wasn't able to try different things though. I was looking forward to it! :( Still, I suppose it's better for weight loss :tongue:

Haha yeah it's happened to me too. I wish I was one of those people who get that full at 1200 calories, it would be so much easier.

Confession - went to the farmer's market this morning and couldn't resist those huge French style chocolate almond croissants. It was totally worth the calories (which could be anywhere from 500 to 1000, to be honest, so I logged some random 680 calories one). We had lunch out planned too but I tried to limit the damage, but still couldn't resist having one buttery roll. I doubt I'll manage to stay under today, considering that I have 200ish calories left (and who knows, I had to guess everything, so it could be less). But at least I limited the damage, so there's improvement (it's only 2pm though!).

Then we stopped at Barnes and Noble and my daughter tried to steal something. Seriously, the only reason I noticed is because the door beeped when she walked through it. Ugh. That's a new one for me... that parenting thing is tough.

That last bit sounds challenging!