Grain free and down ten pounds!

Options
dreena222
dreena222 Posts: 34 Member
i have been gluten free for a year now and I have never felt better in my life but my weight hasn't moved. I recently started not eating any grains mostly as an "experiment"........it's been 3 weeks and I'm down 10 pounds! I realize it's mostly water weight, but I couldn't lose it before being grain free. My skin, my stomach, my attitude and my sleep are all improved! I am excited! Is there any one else with a similar story? I'm very interested to hear!!

Replies

• jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Awesome job dreena222. I've been grain and processed sugar free for over a year now. I am now at a healthy weight, have tons of energy, and feel great. This is even after having major surgery in January.
  • dreena222
    Options
    Congrats to you!! Thanks for sharing!

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc
  • dreena222
    Options
    @acg67 not a fallacy, I'm quite confident of how the lack of processed grains has affected my body in a positive way.

• Acg67
    Options
    dreena222 wrote: »
    @acg67 not a fallacy, I'm quite confident of how the lack of processed grains has affected my body in a positive way.

I would love to hear more about your n=1 experiment, particularly how you controlled for confounding variables to determine it was the lack of processed grains that was the impetus for these positive changes.

For instance, when you removed the processed grains what did you replace them with in order to keep macros and calories constant? How did you control for activity levels to ensure that it didn't have any impact on your changes?
  • dreena222
    Options
    Very simple, I don't eat any bread, pasta, (even gluten free), cereal, rice etc. I have been eating only eggs, cheese, meat, vegetables, fruit and I love Greek yogurt. I started this 3 weeks ago and I have lost 10 pounds. The only thing I changed is that I eliminated grains. I don't believe we need grains to be healthy.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sure, going low carb will drop a large amount of water weight. I "dropped" twelve pounds in two days in order to make weight for a competition by doing that. It's water weight though, so it all returned once I started eating carbs again.

If it makes you feel better, more power to you. I wouldn't recommend it as a crutch, however, because it's not going to make you lose weight. With the water weight gone, you're still going to need to eat a deficit in order to lose weight, which you weren't doing previously.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jrosto wrote: »
    Awesome job dreena222. I've been grain and processed sugar free for over a year now. I am now at a healthy weight, have tons of energy, and feel great. This is even after having major surgery in January.

THIS GUY is an inspiration. Listen to your body. Ignore the noise.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Very simple, I don't eat any bread, pasta, (even gluten free), cereal, rice etc. I have been eating only eggs, cheese, meat, vegetables, fruit and I love Greek yogurt. I started this 3 weeks ago and I have lost 10 pounds. The only thing I changed is that I eliminated grains. I don't believe we need grains to be healthy.

You didn't answer the question, what did you replace the grains with in order to keep macronutrient percentage and caloric intake constant?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor? It sounds like you may have Celiac disease. The vast majority of people can lose weight without going grain/gluten free. I would suggest you see your doctor.

ETA: You may need to have some gluten in you in order to see if it's a problem. I'm not sure, but that's what I've heard, so make sure you get that info when you make an appointment.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. But just so everyone is clear, the exclusion of grains is not what made you thinner. Rather, the reduction of overall calories did.

You could go dairy free, meat free, butter free, etc. etc. and still possibly lose weight... That doesn't mean those foods are evil or should be excluded altogether. In fact, it is very silly to exclude any whole food aside from having an allergy or medical reaction to it. Variety is the spice of life.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am NOT grain free and I am down 111 lb. Your point is?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    That's wonderful. But just so everyone is clear, the exclusion of grains is not what made you thinner. Rather, the reduction of overall calories did.

You could go dairy free, meat free, butter free, etc. etc. and still possibly lose weight... That doesn't mean those foods are evil or should be excluded altogether. In fact, it is very silly to exclude any whole food aside from having an allergy or medical reaction to it. Variety is the spice of life.

All this.

OP: it sounds by eliminating grains you lowered your calorie intake to the point where you were in a deficit which is the reason you've lost the weight. There are many different ways to get into a calorie deficit, but in the end its the deficit not the elimination of grains which caused the weight loss.
  • dreena222
    Options
    @earlnabby good job! My point is that with the lack of processed grains, I dropped 10 pounds, what's so hard to about that?
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's wise to eliminate or strictly limit processed foods... but specifically focusing on grains/bread and basically convincing others that they are the only problem on the path toward weight loss is not the best advice.

There are many types of processed foods... Avoid as much as them as you can and don't single out grains/bread as the culprit.
  • larryslittleinfinity
    Options
    My mom and I recently had a competition to see who could lose the most weight before a certain trip. I went completely grain-free and dropped 13 pounds, thus winning the competition. I am mostly grain free still and I've kept all of the weight off and even lost an additional few pounds.
  • dreena222
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have decreased calories without weight loss in the past, that's my point. I have no scientific info for anyone. I just want to share my story in hope that it will help someone else.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I love grains and have lost 50 pounds. There are some days where grains is just about all I eat! lol!

Oh and then there's the grain, beer, and ice cream days too. Those days are my favorite!

• Acg67
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Based off observational evidence, eliminating processed grains negatively affects intelligence. This can be seen by clear lack of ability to comprehend simple concepts.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    I have decreased calories without weight loss in the past, that's my point. I have no scientific info for anyone. I just want to share my story in hope that it will help someone else.

And that was simply a result of restricted calorie intake, as you put it.

However your thread title blames grains as the culprit. It basically asserts that anyone who restricts grains will have the same results as you.