Grain free and down ten pounds!

Options

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    jrosto wrote: »
    It is interesting that someone posts a success story about how her body reacted to cutting grains and instantly the haters come out to play.

My N-1 experiment

Cut all grains and processed sugars. During the weight loss phase of my journey kept carbs below 50 gr/day. Also eliminated most vegetable and seed oils. Fats used were coconut oil, animal fats, and olive oil.

Successes:

Lost 90 pounds (go ahead, call that water weight) and have maintained that loss for over 3 months now.
    Acne disappeared.

A couple other skin issues that were not resolved using doctor recommended cortisone creams disappeared.
    Energy levels are thru the roof.

I had a bilateral lung transplant in January. Out of the more than 500 lung transplants performed by my team, I had the fastest recovery. I was out of the hospital in 9 days.

During post transplant pulmonary rehab, I had the 2nd best Six Minute Walk Test (6MWT) results ever. #1 was a early 30's Army Ranger. I am 53.

The lung disease I had was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, and I was end stage. One symptom that many IPF'rs have is a debilitating cough that often required morphine to control. After removing grains and sugars the cough went away. That is huge. I have helped a few others also eliminate these foods and they have also seen great results.

I continue to recover ahead of the curve, and my recovery success is in a large part due to my healthy nutrition.
    And no, I do not have Celiac Disease.

It is interesting how people feel that they have to jump in and try to debase a grain free diet every time there is a post in this forum. You know, if you want to eat wonder bread and pasta every day, go for it. I don't care what you do with your life. You want to be a vegetarian and post about how wonderful that lifestyle is, good on you. I'll not troll your post and try to convince you otherwise. Why is it you all feel so driven to try and dissuade those of us who have found success with a grain free lifestyle?

So pointing out lies and fallacies is being a hater? Good to know.

Oh and sucrose, is that a processed or natural sugar?

Ha Ha.... your one of those earth is flat guys. Go to dietdoctor.com and watch the video with a picture of the evolution of man into a fat guy.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    It's wise to eliminate or strictly limit processed foods... but specifically focusing on grains/bread and basically convincing others that they are the only problem on the path toward weight loss is not the best advice.

There are many types of processed foods... Avoid as much as them as you can and don't single out grains/bread as the culprit.

There was nothing in her post trying to convince others that they must give up grains in order to lose weight. Nor did she give advice to others to eliminate them.

She connected being grain/gluten free with her success for weight loss and feeling better about herself when she has no apparent medical condition or allergy against grains/gluten.

The reason she is lighter, feeling better, with greater confidence, and seeing results is due to calorie restriction... Not a restriction of grains/bread per se (unless specifically diagnosed by a doctor as being sensitive to these foods).

Maybe she is not allergic to processed food either...yet...you gave her advice to avoid them.

Many people eat processed food and still fall in the healthy category. I eat whole foods all week long...on the weekends not so much.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    It is interesting that someone posts a success story about how her body reacted to cutting grains and instantly the haters come out to play.

My N-1 experiment

Cut all grains and processed sugars. During the weight loss phase of my journey kept carbs below 50 gr/day. Also eliminated most vegetable and seed oils. Fats used were coconut oil, animal fats, and olive oil.

Successes:

Lost 90 pounds (go ahead, call that water weight) and have maintained that loss for over 3 months now.
    Acne disappeared.

A couple other skin issues that were not resolved using doctor recommended cortisone creams disappeared.
    Energy levels are thru the roof.

I had a bilateral lung transplant in January. Out of the more than 500 lung transplants performed by my team, I had the fastest recovery. I was out of the hospital in 9 days.

During post transplant pulmonary rehab, I had the 2nd best Six Minute Walk Test (6MWT) results ever. #1 was a early 30's Army Ranger. I am 53.

The lung disease I had was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, and I was end stage. One symptom that many IPF'rs have is a debilitating cough that often required morphine to control. After removing grains and sugars the cough went away. That is huge. I have helped a few others also eliminate these foods and they have also seen great results.

I continue to recover ahead of the curve, and my recovery success is in a large part due to my healthy nutrition.
    And no, I do not have Celiac Disease.

It is interesting how people feel that they have to jump in and try to debase a grain free diet every time there is a post in this forum. You know, if you want to eat wonder bread and pasta every day, go for it. I don't care what you do with your life. You want to be a vegetarian and post about how wonderful that lifestyle is, good on you. I'll not troll your post and try to convince you otherwise. Why is it you all feel so driven to try and dissuade those of us who have found success with a grain free lifestyle?

Oh and sucrose, is that a processed or natural sugar?

Ha Ha.... your one of those earth is flat guys. Go to dietdoctor.com and watch the video with a picture of the evolution of man into a fat guy.

Flat earther? And you use the laughable diet doctor as a counter? The same diet doctor that preys on the ignorance of people?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am NOT grain free and I am down 111 lb. Your point is?

Why the hostility?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great job, OP - glad this work for you. You might consider getting tested for a gluten insensitivity to see if that’s what’s at play.

My N-1 experiment

Successes:

Acne disappeared.

[edited out to save space]

My N = 1 experiment: cut out all grains and processed sugars, went vegetarian, kept this up for about 9 months.

Successes:
    None. Lost no weight, acne did not disappear.

No one is “bashing” a grain-free lifestyle; simply pointing out that it isn’t necessary and might not work for everyone. But if someone’s happy with it, then that’s great.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    It's wise to eliminate or strictly limit processed foods... but specifically focusing on grains/bread and basically convincing others that they are the only problem on the path toward weight loss is not the best advice.

There are many types of processed foods... Avoid as much as them as you can and don't single out grains/bread as the culprit.

There was nothing in her post trying to convince others that they must give up grains in order to lose weight. Nor did she give advice to others to eliminate them.

She connected being grain/gluten free with her success for weight loss and feeling better about herself when she has no apparent medical condition or allergy against grains/gluten.

The reason she is lighter, feeling better, with greater confidence, and seeing results is due to calorie restriction... Not a restriction of grains/bread per se (unless specifically diagnosed by a doctor as being sensitive to these foods).

What happened to your post telling me that I had no reading comprehension? I missed it but saw your response in someone elses reply.

Maybe I missed where the OP said that everyone should be grain free. I have read her first post and I just can't see it.

• blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Every body is going to react different. I would recommend reading Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis as a good primer. I've been wheat and grain free for two years. Kept my weight off and my asthma and acid reflux disappeared. If I eat grains or wheat, they come back. To each their own, but there's research out there supporting both sides of the argument.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. But just so everyone is clear, the exclusion of grains is not what made you thinner. Rather, the reduction of overall calories did.

You could go dairy free, meat free, butter free, etc. etc. and still possibly lose weight... That doesn't mean those foods are evil or should be excluded altogether. In fact, it is very silly to exclude any whole food aside from having an allergy or medical reaction to it. Variety is the spice of life.

People exclude certain whole foods from their diet for a variety of reasons other than medical conditions. Why is that silly? Shouldn't we all be able to select our own diets based on our preferences?

Sure. You can eat whatever you like to lose weight. What you CAN'T do is claim you can eat the same amount of calories, but just cut out certain foods, and have that cause weight loss. Sorry, but it's just not possible.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    dreena222 wrote: »
    @earlnabby good job! My point is that with the lack of processed grains, I dropped 10 pounds, what's so hard to about that?

Don't listen to all the naysayers. Just because they can eat grains and starches to lose weight, it doesn't mean all of us can. Good job! I personally went from to 240 to my current 169 by cutting out all grains, starches and refined sugar. If I eat grains and starches while being in a deficit, I don't lose weight. It's all a matter of how your body responds to those foods. Insulin resistance is real.

And here comes the nonsense. So insulin resistance isn't at all factored into the energy balance equation?

Of course it is. If you eat more calories than you burn, obviously you're not going to lose weight. That wasn't the point behind my statement. My point was that "diets" aren't a one size fits all. Insulin resistance isn't nonsense. It makes sense. It would explain why person A can eat grains and starches and lose weight, why person B eats those exact same foods and doesn't lose weight or gains weight. It's all about whether your body locks those calories away in your fat cells or if it allows them to be used for energy. Of course in the end regardless of what WOE you're following, calories do matter. Maybe in the beginning of your weight loss journey you can be a little more lax with them.

I don't understand why everyone in these forums can't be happy for someone when they have found something that works for them. The moment someone mentions they've cut out grains, starches and sugars, it's debunked with "you don't have to cut those out to lose weight". What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me or the OP.

But you DON'T have to cut anything out to lose weight. That's the point. For ANYONE.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Maybe she is not allergic to processed food either...yet...you gave her advice to avoid them.

Many people eat processed food and still fall in the healthy category. I eat whole foods all week long...on the weekends not so much.

post-6408-0-54607500-1427498737.jpeg

DO NOT avoid Processed Foods (in order to maintain a better lifestyle and a healthier diet)... SAID NO DOCTOR EVER.

Nice try at a Strawman technique, though. I'm kind of done trying to debate with you if this is where your mind is set.

To all, use common sense instead of listening to people like this. Your health will thank you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    Every body is going to react different. I would recommend reading Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis as a good primer. I've been wheat and grain free for two years. Kept my weight off and my asthma and acid reflux disappeared. If I eat grains or wheat, they come back. To each their own, but there's research out there supporting both sides of the argument.

Yay pseudoscience!
  • Annie_01
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    That's wonderful. But just so everyone is clear, the exclusion of grains is not what made you thinner. Rather, the reduction of overall calories did.

You could go dairy free, meat free, butter free, etc. etc. and still possibly lose weight... That doesn't mean those foods are evil or should be excluded altogether. In fact, it is very silly to exclude any whole food aside from having an allergy or medical reaction to it. Variety is the spice of life.

People exclude certain whole foods from their diet for a variety of reasons other than medical conditions. Why is that silly? Shouldn't we all be able to select our own diets based on our preferences?

Sure. You can eat whatever you like to lose weight. What you CAN'T do is claim you can eat the same amount of calories, but just cut out certain foods, and have that cause weight loss. Sorry, but it's just not possible.

Nor did I say that. Matter of fact I didn't bring up calories at all. Not sure why you think I did.

• sixxpoint
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »

Yay pseudoscience!

In a world of Nutritional Science vs. Pseudoscience... Pseudoscience, it seems, is easer for people who aren't interested in the truth to understand.
  • Annie_01
    Options

post-6408-0-54607500-1427498737.jpeg

DO NOT avoid Processed Foods (in order to maintain a better lifestyle and a healthier diet)... SAID NO DOCTOR EVER.

Nice try at a Strawman technique, though. I'm kind of done trying to debate with you if this is where your mind is set.

To all, use common sense instead of listening to people like this. Your health will thank you.

Well...okay.

Notice however I did not encourage nor discourage anyone about eating processed foods.

• sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Edit:

...Not worth it.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Nor did I say that. Matter of fact I didn't bring up calories at all. Not sure why you think I did.

The OP did. And that was what my first response was to. You were defending the OP in your statement, were you not? *shrug*
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options

No, but spewing ignorance and making ad homenim attacks is. If you were actually interested in the science, I would try to help you with your ignorance, but it is obvious that your main interest is in being a Troll. So it's really not worth my time.

There is not harm in eliminating grains. The few nutrients that my be found in them can also easily be found in other whole foods such as vegetables, nuts and non-grain seeds. Grains have anti nutrients and too many empty calories for my liking. Not eating grains will not adversely effect health, so I do not understand the virulent opposition to a grain free lifestyle that is found on this site.

The main difference between me and you is that I don't really care how you achieve your success. If you posted that you acquired those abs by eating gummy bears and doing 12 oz curls, I'd congratulate you on your success and hard work and move on. A slightly different approach than you.