So you want a nice stomach

Replies

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    bump
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Sephixteeo wrote: »
    @HeySwoleSister I have had 3 kids, and after my youngest, I definitely noticed a skin change, especially around my navel. :smile: The consistency right now is really almost like water under the skin. It is like a ripple effect if I prod it. Hard to describe. Before it was softer, but more taut. I'm also hoping things will get better with more lean mass and time. This has been about 3 weeks of a noticeable change so far.

And yes, I love the deadlifts, too :)

Yup, I've got 3 kids, too, and my belleh does the same nonsense, also around my navel. It's really unappealing when doing planks, so I try not to look. :/

I'm trying to take heart that it's gone "softer" because there is less fat filling up my skin, and hopefully much less visceral fat smushing my innards.

Ahh! I wanted to say I caught my reflection while doing a plank with my shirt rolled up a bit the other day, haha! Shirt will stay down on my belly for that one from now on. :) It reminds me of an episode of the Golden Girls.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    @HeySwoleSister I have had 3 kids, and after my youngest, I definitely noticed a skin change, especially around my navel. :smile: The consistency right now is really almost like water under the skin. It is like a ripple effect if I prod it. Hard to describe. Before it was softer, but more taut. I'm also hoping things will get better with more lean mass and time. This has been about 3 weeks of a noticeable change so far.

Yup, I've got 3 kids, too, and my belleh does the same nonsense, also around my navel. It's really unappealing when doing planks, so I try not to look. :/

I'm trying to take heart that it's gone "softer" because there is less fat filling up my skin, and hopefully much less visceral fat smushing my innards.

Ahh! I wanted to say I caught my reflection while doing a plank with my shirt rolled up a bit the other day, haha! Shirt will stay down on my belly for that one from now on. :) It reminds me of an episode of the Golden Girls.

I was doing push ups as one of my warm up/pump up activities for my bodybuilding show. My skin hung down. I was lean enough to take first place at my competition, but the loose skin was still there. I've just accepted that it is a fact of having kids while obese.
  • Sephixteeo
    I know what you mean, and gravity's just doing its thing. I watch myself when I lift somewhat, but not during other things. I just get into a zone. I'm going to have that, too, after 3 kids; the first 2 were 15 months apart. The last one 9 years later. It'll be very interesting to see what happens over the next several months. I'm starting to take pictures every 2-3 weeks.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

I was doing push ups as one of my warm up/pump up activities for my bodybuilding show. My skin hung down. I was lean enough to take first place at my competition, but the loose skin was still there. I've just accepted that it is a fact of having kids while obese.

I had kids while very, very skinny. After the third one was born, my skin was all "F you, I'm not going back!"

• Sephixteeo
    That is pretty much what my body did, too. I don't think my hips are going to be the same size after my 3rd, either. I had my last in my 30's. i dont know if that makes a difference.
  • usmcmp
    I was obese and had mine back to back. The only time the skin frustrates me is when it comes to competitions. I can glue it into my suit, but sometimes it doesn't stay.
  • HeySwoleSister
    That is pretty much what my body did, too. I don't think my hips are going to be the same size after my 3rd, either. I had my last in my 30's. i dont know if that makes a difference.

I suspect age had a lot to do with my skin calling it quits as well. It sprang right back when I had my first at 28, took a few months when I had my second at 31, and when #3 came and I was 35? "Thanks, I'll just stay all stretched out, kthxbai."
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member

Check out some of the programs on Bodybuilding.com. I'm personally not a fan of Stronglifts (for me at least). Another suggestion is New Rules of Lifting. It's educational as well as a training program.

Out of curiosity, I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on Stronglifts?

I've been doing it for 6 months and have been feeling the itch to do something different and I'm not sure what direction to go. Thanks!
  • usmcmp

Check out some of the programs on Bodybuilding.com. I'm personally not a fan of Stronglifts (for me at least). Another suggestion is New Rules of Lifting. It's educational as well as a training program.

I've been doing it for 6 months and have been feeling the itch to do something different and I'm not sure what direction to go. Thanks!

I don't like it because I prefer higher rep workouts. Even grinding out a super heavy set of 5 doesn't make me happy, I'd rather do a lighter set of 8-12. I still do strength and 5x5 type routines from time to time since strength is important. Another reason why is because most of them seem to be 3 days per week, but I prefer to lift 5-6 days per week.

Check out some of the programs on bodybuilding.com. There are videos for almost every lift and you can decide which one fits how many days you like to lift.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

I switched to ICF 5x5 from SL and enjoy it. take a gander!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member

I don't like it because I prefer higher rep workouts. Even grinding out a super heavy set of 5 doesn't make me happy, I'd rather do a lighter set of 8-12. I still do strength and 5x5 type routines from time to time since strength is important. Another reason why is because most of them seem to be 3 days per week, but I prefer to lift 5-6 days per week.

Check out some of the programs on bodybuilding.com. There are videos for almost every lift and you can decide which one fits how many days you like to lift.

I will check those out - thanks!

This raises another question for me. It seems like most routines are categorized as strength or hypertrophy (with some hybrids thrown in). I've assumed strength is the way to go given that I'm in a deficit and the general consensus is that you can't build muscle while in a deficit. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Does either type of routine salvage LBM effectively?

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Flagged? Also cringing.
  • usmcmp

I will check those out - thanks!

This raises another question for me. It seems like most routines are categorized as strength or hypertrophy (with some hybrids thrown in). I've assumed strength is the way to go given that I'm in a deficit and the general consensus is that you can't build muscle while in a deficit. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Does either type of routine salvage LBM effectively?

Either type helps you retain muscle. Hypertrophy is more likely to make the muscles a bit bigger (this is not a quick process though, so your arms won't gain an inch in a month). You can build muscle on a deficit especially if you are new to training, overweight, or coming back after time off.

Strength is suggested first because everyone needs to build up their strength before taking on other goals. It's basically the first step to most other goals people will make in this process.
  • usmcmp
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Flagged? Also cringing.

People flagged a lot of random comments through this thread. Comments supporting my initial post and comments questioning it. People just like to flag things they disagree with. The original post was flagged many times, but it seems those were cleaned up. I have answered all the questions/concerns about the cardio point many times through the thread.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    I enjoy cardio personally (crazy i know). So I agree with all your points including 4 :smile:. I ve accepted also that I will have alittle loose skin and light remainder of stretch marks. I call this the stars and stripes of motherhood. ha ha
  • HeySwoleSister
    Page 3? THIS SHALL NOT STAND.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Page 3? THIS SHALL NOT STAND.

bump
  • AnnaNoel_21
    AnnaNoel_21 Posts: 96 Member
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Bump!