Options
12346»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Actually this thread is about the goals of the OP and how to best advise her on reaching those goals without doing anything risky or anything that won't help her reach her goals. If her goal is to maintain her weight and improve her lean body mass %, low carb eating won't help her. Low carb is nothing more than a method to ease feelings of hunger during calorie restriction. That's it. Since OP is not overweight, people are guessing that she does not have a problem with overeating. Therefore low carb is likely not the best option for her to meet her goals. Unless her goal is actually to become underweight in which case the correct response is to advise against that, period.

That's got to be the most ill-informed statement I've ever seen about low-carb... and that's saying something!

Actually maybe just found something even more ill informed, from Taubes who is pretty well known for his quackery (odd how low carbers still recommend his books)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10100379640292358&id=274705965&refsrc=https://m.facebook.com/MartinNutrition/videos/10100379640292358/&_rdr

Mind boggling. Truly mind boggling. I'd give anything to see full video of that debate.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Actually this thread is about the goals of the OP and how to best advise her on reaching those goals without doing anything risky or anything that won't help her reach her goals. If her goal is to maintain her weight and improve her lean body mass %, low carb eating won't help her. Low carb is nothing more than a method to ease feelings of hunger during calorie restriction. That's it. Since OP is not overweight, people are guessing that she does not have a problem with overeating. Therefore low carb is likely not the best option for her to meet her goals. Unless her goal is actually to become underweight in which case the correct response is to advise against that, period.

That's got to be the most ill-informed statement I've ever seen about low-carb... and that's saying something!

Actually maybe just found something even more ill informed, from Taubes who is pretty well known for his quackery (odd how low carbers still recommend his books)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10100379640292358&id=274705965&refsrc=https://m.facebook.com/MartinNutrition/videos/10100379640292358/&_rdr

Mind boggling. Truly mind boggling. I'd give anything to see full video of that debate.

I thought they were getting a video together to present to the public. From everyone in attendance, Taubes only presented a hypothesis with nothing to support it and Alan destroyed him with science. I want to see James Krieger's insulin presentation, 2 hours of insulin myth busting that should be viewed by everyone
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So are you saying that CICO does not apply to everyone and that I can eat in a calorie surplus, go low carb, and lose weight?

and you got the body in the picture from overeating, carbs had nothing to do with it, no matter how much you think they did.

It's impossible to eat a calorie surplus if you're a woman who eats 25 grams of fiber or a man who eats 38 grams of fiber everyday. If a normal person without an eating disorder eats fiber, their body will feel so full, they won't need any more food.

ceoverturf wrote: »

Where has ANYONE bashed her?

Specific examples please.

On the first page of this forum post, this is what agglikik said:
    aggelikik wrote: »
    So, how does a 19 year old decide to start a low carb diet for life? If the answer is because you googled it and it is the latest fashion, are you sure you want to base your life on google? And your eating choices on what is the latest "thing"?
    Check here, this might help you decide if this is such a good idea or not:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    Why is a 19 year old with no weight issues even counting calories and carbs? I know it is a weird thing to ask considering I am on this site too, but you are 19. And normal weight. Calorie counting, carb counting etc, are not "normal" for someone your age without weight or health issues.

EDIT: That post counts as bashing.

And I've seen other pro-CICO post on other low carb threads, like yesterday's thread about no-carb recipes in the recipe section.

No...you got it by eating more calories than your body burned. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and certainly major medical issues can and do affect the number of calories your body burns on an average day, sometimes significantly. But the point of CICO still stands.

You can believe what you want. If CICO works for you: Great!

I do what works for me. You do what works for you. You and your pro-CICO friends need to quit pushing your beliefs on those who don't follow your philosophy. Remember what you parents and teacher taught you: Don't push your beliefs on anyone. This thread is about low-carb, not CICO. Lets keep it on-topic.

Your claims about fiber, fullness, and the impossibility of overeating aren't true.

Exhibit A chiming in.

I'd like to get back to the topic of the OP rather than making this pro-carb vs. anti-carb.

Is ANYONE else going to wonder why someone who weighs 119 pounds wants to lose 7 pounds? If she's short and small framed, okay? Maybe she just needs to lower her body fat through progressive lifting and does not need to eat at deficit at all.

I don't think anyone is thinking of the OP here, including you. You're pushing an agenda as much as you claim "the CICO crowd" is.

She only wants to lose 7lbs. If OP is 5'5 or shorter, that's within the healthy weight range.
    I have many friends who are around 5'4 and eight stone; some are even smaller... without looking like Skeletor.

She might not need to create a deficit to achieve her goals. Let's let her answer the question, hmmm?

Since she is already lifting, following a progressive lifting routine will slowly change her body composition and lean her out. If she's not eating at deficit, she'll make more progress with her lifts. She said she wanted to look leaner. Leaner doesn't necessarily translate to scale weight.

did OP ever say what lifting program she is on?

and good luck bulking on low carb....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0O9duM9hOw

that's your rebuttal? A you tube video of a guy in Mexico city??
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Uhhhhhhh........
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

I thought they were getting a video together to present to the public. From everyone in attendance, Taubes only presented a hypothesis with nothing to support it and Alan destroyed him with science. I want to see James Krieger's insulin presentation, 2 hours of insulin myth busting that should be viewed by everyone

That insulin information is DESPERATELY needed around here because there's so much junk science about it that people pick up and bring with them. There was so much being said about it yesterday in another thread that was wrong. I want to learn more to refute it with all the legit science.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

That insulin information is DESPERATELY needed around here because there's so much junk science about it that people pick up and bring with them. There was so much being said about it yesterday in another thread that was wrong. I want to learn more to refute it with all the legit science.
    Agree!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Here are a couple slides
    CFMwsnMWAAErDjv.jpg:small
    CFNpUMMW8AATnmg.jpg:small
    CFMuhzFWYAAMamf.jpg:small

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Here are a couple slides

BOOM!!!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Here are a couple slides

Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I might be a little in love with those.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    So are you saying that CICO does not apply to everyone and that I can eat in a calorie surplus, go low carb, and lose weight?

and you got the body in the picture from overeating, carbs had nothing to do with it, no matter how much you think they did.

It's impossible to eat a calorie surplus if you're a woman who eats 25 grams of fiber or a man who eats 38 grams of fiber everyday. If a normal person without an eating disorder eats fiber, their body will feel so full, they won't need any more food.

So, how does a 19 year old decide to start a low carb diet for life? If the answer is because you googled it and it is the latest fashion, are you sure you want to base your life on google? And your eating choices on what is the latest "thing"?
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    Why is a 19 year old with no weight issues even counting calories and carbs? I know it is a weird thing to ask considering I am on this site too, but you are 19. And normal weight. Calorie counting, carb counting etc, are not "normal" for someone your age without weight or health issues.

And I've seen other pro-CICO post on other low carb threads, like yesterday's thread about no-carb recipes in the recipe section.

No...you got it by eating more calories than your body burned. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and certainly major medical issues can and do affect the number of calories your body burns on an average day, sometimes significantly. But the point of CICO still stands.

I do what works for me. You do what works for you. You and your pro-CICO friends need to quit pushing your beliefs on those who don't follow your philosophy. Remember what you parents and teacher taught you: Don't push your beliefs on anyone. This thread is about low-carb, not CICO. Lets keep it on-topic.

Your claims about fiber, fullness, and the impossibility of overeating aren't true.

Exhibit A chiming in.

I'd like to get back to the topic of the OP rather than making this pro-carb vs. anti-carb.

Is ANYONE else going to wonder why someone who weighs 119 pounds wants to lose 7 pounds? If she's short and small framed, okay? Maybe she just needs to lower her body fat through progressive lifting and does not need to eat at deficit at all.

I don't think anyone is thinking of the OP here, including you. You're pushing an agenda as much as you claim "the CICO crowd" is.

She only wants to lose 7lbs. If OP is 5'5 or shorter, that's within the healthy weight range.
    I have many friends who are around 5'4 and eight stone; some are even smaller... without looking like Skeletor.

She might not need to create a deficit to achieve her goals. Let's let her answer the question, hmmm?

Since she is already lifting, following a progressive lifting routine will slowly change her body composition and lean her out. If she's not eating at deficit, she'll make more progress with her lifts. She said she wanted to look leaner. Leaner doesn't necessarily translate to scale weight.

Yeah, he's just some guy in Mexico. That's it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Here's a good link to help you figure out your macros.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

I think I will wait for something a little more definitive, but thanks for sharing.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

I think I will wait for something a little more definitive, but thanks for sharing.

Your premise is that you can't bulk on low carb. Either you are suggesting it's impossible to eat at a surplus on LC, or you are suggesting that CICO doesn't work on LC. Which is it? The "guy in Mexico City" is the owner of ketogains, which you've been shown before and keep pretending it doesn't exist. Why you are in denial about an entire community of people who manage to train while on LC, some even competing, is on you.

Exactly how is it you believe surplus calories from chicken and cheese are less capable of building muscle than surplus calories from rice?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Exhibit A chiming in.

Your premise is that you can't bulk on low carb. Either you are suggesting it's impossible to eat at a surplus on LC, or you are suggesting that CICO doesn't work on LC. Which is it? The "guy in Mexico City" is the owner of ketogains, which you've been shown before and keep pretending it doesn't exist. Why you are in denial about an entire community of people who manage to train while on LC, some even competing, is on you.

Exactly how is it you believe surplus calories from chicken and cheese are less capable of building muscle than surplus calories from rice?
    He said "good luck bulking", not you can't bulk.
    Me, I would not be able to bulk on keto since even thinking about the amounts of fat I would have to have make me nauseous.
  • danielleraeburton2015
    Options
    fferbz wrote: »
    Hi all, i want to lower my carb intake and this is my first low carb diet, currently (before the low carb) my macros are - 1200 calories per day Carbs - 127g Protein - 98g Fats 33g.
    i wanted to drop my carbs to around 70g to start with (i know it should be around 50g but id like to ease myself into it for a week or so first). I was wondering how i should distribute the extra calories? I was thinking 60% to protein 40% to fats? So id be at Carbs - 70g Protein 132g Fats
    fferbz wrote: »
    Hi all, i want to lower my carb intake and this is my first low carb diet, currently (before the low carb) my macros are - 1200 calories per day Carbs - 127g Protein - 98g Fats 33g.
    i wanted to drop my carbs to around 70g to start with (i know it should be around 50g but id like to ease myself into it for a week or so first). I was wondering how i should distribute the extra calories? I was thinking 60% to protein 40% to fats? So id be at Carbs - 70g Protein 132g Fats 56g
    Does that seem ok? Any input would be great thanks

I'm currently eating 160gP, 190gC, and 54gF which adds to about 1886 calories a day. I'm 19 years old 124lbs and I do Crossfit 3-4 a week. When I started counting my macros with those numbers I started losing a lot of fat and gaining more muscle. I started at 130lbs only a couple weeks ago. And the best part about the numbers I have chosen is that I feel 100% better than before. I feel great all throughout the day. I used to be extremely tired and didn't want to do anything. Now I go all through my day feeling good and I make it through my workouts without feeling too tired.

I'm not sure if you know but how to find the amount of calories in the nutrients of your food but, you can multiply them and you will get the amount of calories you should have in a day.
    Protein- (g) x 4 = calories of protein
    Carbs- (g) x 4 = calories of carbs
    Fats- (g) x 9 = calories of fat

This way you can also get the true amount of calories there are in your food. Usually they will round the amount of calories down. I find this in almost all foods with a label.

Depending on if you workout and what kind of exercise your doing you shouldn't do a low carb diet. If you're keeping your protein and carbs high you will lose weight. But obviously with the right foods. I tend to struggle with protein so I'll have a low fat protein shake two times a day. I recently talked to a nutritionist and she told me that for my age, weight, height, body fat % I need to be eating at least eating 1471 calories a day. That number is based on a resting state. That's how much my body needs to survive doing absolutely nothing(laying down all day) and be healthy. I was told to add 250-500 calories to that number based on my exercise. So what I was getting at with your plan is that it's not such a good idea to be under what your body needs a day. With your 70gC, 132gP, 56gF it should be adjusted a little differently. Those numbers add to be 1312 calories a day. And still not good for you. I understand weight loss is important therefore people usually think low carb diets and such, but make sure to keep carbs up with your proteins and very minimal fat. If you want to keep to the low carb diet I'd suggest low healthy fats as well otherwise it won't work to your benefit.
  • Zmanning89
    Zmanning89 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Here are a couple slides

HAHA gotta love BRO science... tell this to a Diabetic or better yet a talk to some real Dr. with people who study Biology. Which studies do these slides reference. Haha so funny Reminds me of the China Study crap.