Low carb diet help!

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Calories in and calories out IS the key to weight loss or weight gain. Nutrition involves more factors. But you don't have to eat a low carbohydrate diet to be well nourished. It's possible to be well nourished on a diet that is higher in carbohydrates (just as it is possible to be nourished on a low carbohydrate diet).

Of course there are many different eating styles that fit different lifestyles and body types in this world.

There are a few CICO fanatics on this forum that push Calories In, Calories Out in every post and lambast anyone who asks about low carb or other eating styles. That's not right. That's just pure juvenile-styled bullying and many of the CICO folks doing this are over the age of 18 and from the US. Triple shame on them! We live in a democracy that allows us to live our lives how we want (a basic lesson all Americans learn in elementary school).

If someone wants to eat a non-mainstream diet (like low carb, gluten free, kosher, halal, vegan, vegetarian, etc), that is their right. The original poster didn't ask about CICO. She asked about how to go low carb and those pro-CICO types come in and bash her. I've seen this happen on other low carb posts too. Enough is enough. Let people choose their health habits. Let's keep this on-topic about low-carb since that is what the original poster asked about.

I'm living proof that not everyone in America can eat what they want and be slim (like the CICO fanatics). I have watch what I eat and for me that means high-protein, limited carbs, no white carbs (like refined flour or potatoes). Low carb is helping me lose weight and get my strength back. Low carb also helps me deal with a problem that all obese people deal with: hunger pangs. The only way an obese person can fight hunger is by eating fiber. Many people in the medical field (esp. those at the University of Washington) would agree with me.

Another thing: A low carb diet gave me the strength to stand up straight and walk instead of being chair-bound like I was for the last decade of my life. Even my doctors told me to eat more protein so my body can re-build muscle in my back, abs, shoulders, and left arm.

You see that body in my picture? I don't drink alcohol. I got that body because of high carbs paired with limited mobility due to an accident I had 12 years ago. I have to lose over 200 lbs. I've managed to lose 40 lbs by changing my eating habits. I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs. I get more than enough carbs from fruits and green & purple vegetables. I don't miss French bread or white rice (the foods I used to eat before).

People disagreeing with you online isn't a threat to democracy. If people disagree with you online, you can still choose what you want to eat. Let's not blow this out of proportion, okay?

The issue isn't someone choosing to eat a low carbohydrate diet. The issue is someone asking for advice about a low carbohydrate diet and then making further comments that show they may be under a mistaken impression about what the diet will do for them. If I said "I want to eliminate red foods from my diet because I want to be able to run faster," it would only be common courtesy for someone to let me know that the issue isn't red foods. But they aren't taking away my ability to CHOOSE to avoid red foods. They're just giving me advice.

One person can't be living proof of anything. I respect your experience, but I don't think your experience proves what you think it does.

If you want to keep the thread on-topic, then why did you recommend so many carbohydrate-rich foods to the OP? And why did you include the off-topic attacks of posters who disagree with you?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out IS the key to weight loss or weight gain. Nutrition involves more factors. But you don't have to eat a low carbohydrate diet to be well nourished. It's possible to be well nourished on a diet that is higher in carbohydrates (just as it is possible to be nourished on a low carbohydrate diet).

Of course there are many different eating styles that fit different lifestyles and body types in this world.

There are a few CICO fanatics on this forum that push Calories In, Calories Out in every post and lambast anyone who asks about low carb or other eating styles. That's not right. That's just pure juvenile-styled bullying and many of the CICO folks doing this are over the age of 18 and from the US. Triple shame on them! We live in a democracy that allows us to live our lives how we want (a basic lesson all Americans learn in elementary school).

If someone wants to eat a non-mainstream diet (like low carb, gluten free, kosher, halal, vegan, vegetarian, etc), that is their right. The original poster didn't ask about CICO. She asked about how to go low carb and those pro-CICO types come in and bash her. I've seen this happen on other low carb posts too. Enough is enough. Let people choose their health habits. Let's keep this on-topic about low-carb since that is what the original poster asked about.

I'm living proof that not everyone in America can eat what they want and be slim (like the CICO fanatics). Being my size is very different from being slim. It's a totally different lifestyle. I have to watch what I eat and for me that means high-protein, limited carbs, no white carbs (like refined flour or potatoes). Low carb is helping me lose weight and get my strength back. Low carb also helps me deal with a problem that all obese people deal with: hunger pangs. The only way an obese person can fight hunger is by eating fiber. Many people in the medical field (esp. those at the University of Washington) would agree with me.

Another thing: A low carb diet gave me the strength to stand up straight and walk instead of being chair-bound like I was for the last decade of my life. Even my doctors told me to eat more protein so my body can re-build muscle in my back, abs, shoulders, and left arm.

You see that body in my picture? I don't drink alcohol. I got that body because of high carbs paired with limited mobility due to an accident I had 12 years ago. I have to lose over 200 lbs. I've managed to lose 40 lbs by changing my eating habits. I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs. I get more than enough carbs from fruits and green & purple vegetables. I don't miss French bread, white pasta, or white rice (the foods I used to eat before). I don't miss American processed food or fast food either.

Why can't people grasp the fact that low carb and all diets operate within the realm of the energy balance equation?

"I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs."

I'd love to know what you replaced white rice and grain based carbs, so that you are eating the exact same number of cals and keeping macros constant.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    fferbz wrote: »
    Firstly i dont think my age has anything to do with it, i dont know why people comment on things like this putting down your decisions. I want to try a low carb diet because i want to drop my body fat and get lean.

Because they're CICO people. They believe Calories In, Calories Out is the Be-All-End-All of weight loss or weight gain. They forget that the human body is like a car and human food is fuel. If one puts good quality fuel in their car, they'll have more energy and power to run around. If one puts junky fuel in their "car", the "car" will eventually break down. Unlike the regular cars, we humans can't go and get a new body if we get sick or disabled.

Don't pay those folks any mind. I think it's great that you're trying to establish good habits at your age. :)

Ok, run this experiment on yourself:

eat the right calories
    lower you carbs to 70 grams a day
    eat 500 calories over maintenance for four months
    record monthly weight
    report back with results

FYI - the human body is far more complex than a car engine.

Maybe you will finally get a taker...

the quest continues....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

I'm living proof that not everyone in America can eat what they want and be slim (like the CICO fanatics). Being my size is very different from being slim. It's a totally different lifestyle. I have to watch what I eat and for me that means high-protein, limited carbs, no white carbs (like refined flour or potatoes). Low carb is helping me lose weight and get my strength back. Low carb also helps me deal with a problem that all obese people deal with: hunger pangs. The only way an obese person can fight hunger is by eating fiber. Many people in the medical field (esp. those at the University of Washington) would agree with me.

You see that body in my picture? I don't drink alcohol. I got that body because of high carbs paired with limited mobility due to an accident I had 12 years ago. I have to lose over 200 lbs. I've managed to lose 40 lbs by changing my eating habits. I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs. I get more than enough carbs from fruits and green & purple vegetables. I don't miss French bread, white pasta, or white rice (the foods I used to eat before). I don't miss American processed food or fast food either.

Why can't people grasp the fact that low carb and all diets operate within the realm of the energy balance equation?

"I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs."

I'd love to know what you replaced white rice and grain based carbs, so that you are eating the exact same number of cals and keeping macros constant.

because deep down we all want to believe in magic???
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people's negativity towards low carb. I think it's a fantastic way to lose weight. For me eating low carb had cut my cravings for food. I'm so satisfied with the meals I eat and am still losing. It's helped my hypoglycaemia. For me, eating high carbs and low fat always set me up for failure as id be ravenous all day long. Lchf has helped me stick to my calorie deficit. Yes you don't need to limit carbs to lose weight, but it does help people who struggle eating carbs.

I think most of us agree low carb CAN be a very effective way to create a calorie deficit/lose weight.

The disagreement comes with those who say it's the ONLY way and/or calories don't matter as long as you count carbs.

Or from those who say it's never the way. Oddly, the same ones who seem to be attracted to any thread that mentions lc.

@fferbz You may also want to go read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Read the FAQ, download the spreadsheet, and you can use that to calculate your macros and set up your program to alter them as you progress.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I don't understand people's negativity towards low carb. I think it's a fantastic way to lose weight. For me eating low carb had cut my cravings for food. I'm so satisfied with the meals I eat and am still losing. It's helped my hypoglycaemia. For me, eating high carbs and low fat always set me up for failure as id be ravenous all day long. Lchf has helped me stick to my calorie deficit. Yes you don't need to limit carbs to lose weight, but it does help people who struggle eating carbs.

I think most of us agree low carb CAN be a very effective way to create a calorie deficit/lose weight.

The disagreement comes with those who say it's the ONLY way and/or calories don't matter as long as you count carbs.

Or from those who say it's never the way. Oddly, the same ones who seem to be attracted to any thread that mentions lc.

Read the FAQ, download the spreadsheet, and you can use that to calculate your macros and set up your program to alter them as you progress.

While I acknowledge my personal views may have blinded me to it, I don't recall EVER seeing anyone saying it's NEVER the way.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I'm living proof that not everyone in America can eat what they want and be slim (like the CICO fanatics). Yeah, I've seen the posts here on the forums. One MFP post had CICO people encouraging a young person exercise to get rid of the calories from vodka. Alcohol drinking habits leads to Cirrhosis later in life. I worked as a medical assistant in UCLA's hospital back in 2005 in the Liver Transplant department. I've watched skinny people die from Cirrhosis or on the liver transplant table because they got into the habit of drinking alcohol in their young adult years. It is a painful, stinky death. If the CICO folks were pushing real nutrition and healthy eating habits while saying "cut the calories", I wouldn't say anything.

Being my size is very different from being slim. It's a totally different lifestyle. I have to watch what I eat and for me that means high-protein, limited carbs, no white carbs (like refined flour or potatoes). Low carb is helping me lose weight and get my strength back. Low carb also helps me deal with a problem that all obese people deal with: hunger pangs. The only way an obese person can fight hunger is by eating fiber. Many people in the medical field (esp. those at the University of Washington) would agree with me.

Another thing: A low carb diet gave me the strength to stand up straight and walk instead of being chair-bound like I was for the last decade of my life. Even my doctors told me to eat more protein so my body can re-build muscle in my back, abs, shoulders, and left arm. My doctors work and teach at Harborview Medical Center which is part of the University of Washington (one of the top medical schools in the US).

No. You got that body because you were eating enough calories to gain and maintain all that body fat. You lost because you are eating less calories. Go back to eating more calories, in whatever form you like and come back in half a year to tell us what happened.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Who said it is never the way? For some people avoiding carbs might be what helps them eat less calories. For others, it might be avoiding fat. Or avoid junk food. Or red food because once they see red they cannot stop eating.
    What does that have to do with having realistic expectations regarding tools and goals?
  • JPW1990
    Options

While I acknowledge my personal views may have blinded me to it, I don't recall EVER seeing anyone saying it's NEVER the way.

Every time someone says it's all water weight you'll gain back if you don't eat that way for life. I won't even go into the one offs who spout things like it causing kidney failure and brain damage, because their 1 semester nutrition class told them so.

I see nothing wrong with correcting those who spout crap like CICO doesn't real, but at the same time, the testimonials of people who tried it for 1 week, did it wrong, spent 1 week miserable and weak, then wrote it off as unsustainable are equally informative as those cult-like posts.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Great comment that gets to the heart of the matter in mind.

I personally replaced less filling starch or sugar carbs with carbs from vegetables mainly, and a mix of protein or fats.

It was still the same calorie deficit. I just felt full longer on fibrous vegetables and it kept my blood glucose levels more stable.

Long term it worked great. Over 100 lbs lost and much more healthy.

I see people succeed and fail on diets all the time. I have been going to the same gym for a year and a half.

Lots of plain old just not sticking to the plan.

It is funny when you work with someone and see them bring lunch back; a quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a shake... Then complain how such and such diet won't work:

Not that I have never done that.

:)

• juggernaut1974
    Options

Every time someone says it's all water weight you'll gain back if you don't eat that way for life.

Well, I'm sure both of our personal views cause us to interpret that statement different ways.

I'd hardly interpret that as saying low-carb is NEVER the answer...in fact I'd equally apply that statement to any sort of eating plan, low-carb, IF, moderating, etc. Whatever plan you choose should ideally be one you can stick to for life if you want to keep the weight off.
  • JPW1990
    Options

Every time someone says it's all water weight you'll gain back if you don't eat that way for life.

Well, I'm sure both of our personal views cause us to interpret that statement different ways.

I'd hardly interpret that as saying low-carb is NEVER the answer...in fact I'd equally apply that statement to any sort of eating plan, low-carb, IF, moderating, etc. Whatever plan you choose should ideally be one you can stick to for life if you want to keep the weight off.

Not really. All that matters is that you eat at maintenance for life. It doesn't matter how you eat to eat at maintenance. Prior to maintenance, if LC, IF, etc help you to easier achieve a deficit, there's no reason to not use that tool. People gain weight after their "diet" is over because they go back to pizza and beer every weekend and eating all the free bagels at work every day, not because they switch from LC to IF or from vegan to IIFYM. And/or they stop working out, and go back to marathoning GoT and TWD every weekend.

Right now there are tons of people on a cut living on chicken, broccoli and brown rice. Not a single one of them has any intention of eating that way for life, rather most of them are bitching about it every day they're doing it. It's all just a means to an end.

• ksrandall777
    ksrandall777 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So are you saying that CICO does not apply to everyone and that I can eat in a calorie surplus, go low carb, and lose weight?

and you got the body in the picture from overeating, carbs had nothing to do with it, no matter how much you think they did.

It's impossible to eat a calorie surplus if you're a woman who eats 25 grams of fiber or a man who eats 38 grams of fiber everyday. If a normal person without an eating disorder eats fiber, their body will feel so full, they won't need any more food.

Where has ANYONE bashed her?

Specific examples please.

On the first page of this forum post, this is what agglikik said:
    aggelikik wrote: »
    So, how does a 19 year old decide to start a low carb diet for life? If the answer is because you googled it and it is the latest fashion, are you sure you want to base your life on google? And your eating choices on what is the latest "thing"?
    Check here, this might help you decide if this is such a good idea or not:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    Why is a 19 year old with no weight issues even counting calories and carbs? I know it is a weird thing to ask considering I am on this site too, but you are 19. And normal weight. Calorie counting, carb counting etc, are not "normal" for someone your age without weight or health issues.

EDIT: That post counts as bashing.

And I've seen other pro-CICO post on other low carb threads, like yesterday's thread about no-carb recipes in the recipe section.

No...you got it by eating more calories than your body burned. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and certainly major medical issues can and do affect the number of calories your body burns on an average day, sometimes significantly. But the point of CICO still stands.

You can believe what you want. If CICO works for you: Great!

I do what works for me. You do what works for you. You and your pro-CICO friends need to quit pushing your beliefs on those who don't follow your philosophy. Remember what you parents and teacher taught you: Don't push your beliefs on anyone. This thread is about low-carb, not CICO. Lets keep it on-topic.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Not really. All that matters is that you eat at maintenance for life. It doesn't matter how you eat to eat at maintenance. Prior to maintenance, if LC, IF, etc help you to easier achieve a deficit, there's no reason to not use that tool. People gain weight after their "diet" is over because they go back to pizza and beer every weekend and eating all the free bagels at work every day, not because they switch from LC to IF or from vegan to IIFYM. And/or they stop working out, and go back to marathoning GoT and TWD every weekend.

Right now there are tons of people on a cut living on chicken, broccoli and brown rice. Not a single one of them has any intention of eating that way for life, rather most of them are bitching about it every day they're doing it. It's all just a means to an end.

I don't disagree with any of that. But still doesn't make the above statment = your claim that people say "Low Carb NEVER works".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Every time someone says it's all water weight you'll gain back if you don't eat that way for life. I won't even go into the one offs who spout things like it causing kidney failure and brain damage, because their 1 semester nutrition class told them so.

I see nothing wrong with correcting those who spout crap like CICO doesn't real, but at the same time, the testimonials of people who tried it for 1 week, did it wrong, spent 1 week miserable and weak, then wrote it off as unsustainable are equally informative as those cult-like posts.

I did it for 5 months

And again for 3 months

And again for 6 weeks

Crashed and burned each time

IME Some people simply cannot do low carb for life

I'm pretty sure in my first response I actually clarified why too
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to eat a calorie surplus if you're a woman who eats 25 grams of fiber or a man who eats 38 grams of fiber everyday. If a normal person without an eating disorder eats fiber, their body will feel so full, they won't need any more food.

No, it's not. You may feel full with that amount of fiber, but it's certainly not a universal experience.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

That's so demonstrably and laughably false, that I don't even know what to say.

So, how does a 19 year old decide to start a low carb diet for life? If the answer is because you googled it and it is the latest fashion, are you sure you want to base your life on google? And your eating choices on what is the latest "thing"?
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    Why is a 19 year old with no weight issues even counting calories and carbs? I know it is a weird thing to ask considering I am on this site too, but you are 19. And normal weight. Calorie counting, carb counting etc, are not "normal" for someone your age without weight or health issues.

I see...you don't know what the word "bash" means. It does not mean "disagree".

I do what works for me. You do what works for you. You and your pro-CICO friends need to quit pushing your beliefs on those who don't follow your philosophy. Remember what you parents and teacher taught you: Don't push your beliefs on anyone. This thread is about low-carb, not CICO. Lets keep it on-topic.

There's this cool thing about science...it works whether you believe it or not.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If you wish to go low-carb is this something you are going to stick with for life

If it is join the low-carb group

If you're thinking quick fix then avoid it .. because low-carb can be one of the most frustrating ways to hit a calorie defecit .. you lose water weight quickly but as soon as you snap it comes back equally quickly and that can absolutely make you throw in the towel and end up fatter than when you started

*voice of experience*

Yeah that's what I thought I said

I haven't knocked low carb at all

But i stick by the fact that it is a way to achieve CI<CO
  • JPW1990
    Options

I don't disagree with any of that. But still doesn't make the above statment = your claim that people say "Low Carb NEVER works".

As far as I'm aware, posting specific examples is against the rules, but if you really are curious, spend some time searching for "not sustainable" and "must eat carbs".
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    So are you saying that CICO does not apply to everyone and that I can eat in a calorie surplus, go low carb, and lose weight?

and you got the body in the picture from overeating, carbs had nothing to do with it, no matter how much you think they did.

Where has ANYONE bashed her?

Specific examples please.

aggelikik wrote: »

EDIT: That post counts as bashing.

And I've seen other pro-CICO post on other low carb threads, like yesterday's thread about no-carb recipes in the recipe section.

No...you got it by eating more calories than your body burned. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and certainly major medical issues can and do affect the number of calories your body burns on an average day, sometimes significantly. But the point of CICO still stands.

How did you get over weight??