Options

Replies

• fferbz
    fferbz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    fferbz wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What did MFP give you as a calorie goal?

You know that goal is without purposeful exercise - you should add back 50% of your exercise from MFP database / gym machine burns and eat that too

1200 is the minimum for women - as a net figure

I lost the majority of my weight at around 1560 plus exercise calories but then I kind of think I'm taller than you, I'm certainly much older

All I'm saying is, and it's totally up to you as I have no issue with low carb if that's right for you, but if you have met your protein and fat macros as discussed earlier and met your basic nutritional goals you can eat the rest of your calories however you wish .. in carbs, in chocolate, in ice cream ... whatever makes you able to stick to your diet for life

In the final analysis it's just about calories in < calories out to lose scale weight. For health meeting nutritional guidelines and exercising is important.

Whether or not you stick to a low carb diet plan is personal choice within the whole CICO equation

It took me a lot to throw away everything I thought I knew about dieting and just focus on CICO .. but it worked

Yeah i completely understand what your saying but like i said above i personally think its about trial and error for each individual, i was just looking for a rough starting point. I would up my calories but i think 1200 is fine as i dont find myself getting hungry or feel as if i need to eat more, if i did there is no way i would risk my health to loose abit of extra fat! I eat 1200 without logging my exercise as im comfortable with that and it fills me up adequatly. But as i carry on through my journey if i feel i need to up my intake i will definitley do it as health is the most important thing to me and main reason i do this :)

At your age (calorie needs decrease as you get older, fact of life) and being at a weight where you already feel fine, unless you are on bedrest for some reason or disabled to the point you cannot move and also extremely short, 1200 is a dangerously low number.
    If your goal is to get a leaner look, then you need to focus on training, not on how to lose more.
    The reason I mentioned your age to begin with in a previous question, is because realistically a teenager who is already at a good weight, has both different goals and different needs than e.g. a middle aged person who has been overweight or obese for years. And realistically what is a tool that can help someone lose weight (calorie counting, experimenting with unusual macro combination to fight cravings or bad habits etc) is not necesserily helpful for someone who has completely different goals. If a 50 year old guy who has lots of weight to lose and health issues to
    fight with counts religiously calories and macros, this is a useful tool to get lose weight. When a 19 year old with no weight to lose spends time counting calories and macros, talks of very low calorie goals and restricting carbs, this is the beginning of a very unhealthy relationship with food.

I appreciate your feedback however as i said above i already train daily so i have already concentrated on that. When body builders are cutting they do the exact same thing so i dont understand how you can say its a very unhealthy relationship with food. I am in no way putting my health at risk, if i started to feel as if i was i would up my calories to make sure it wasnt at risk.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Can i just add that i dont think im fat and im not unhappy with my body at all. Because when i seem to seek help on here and tell people my age and weight they tell me theres no need for me to diet and im at normal weight. The reason im on here is because i want to loose body fat and tone up! I want to make myself more lean hense why i want to go onto a low carb diet.

low carb has nothing to do with that.

you can eat carbs, eat in a deficit, lift heavy, and hit your goals.

or you can eat low carb, eat in a deficit, lift heavy, and hit your goals.

the choice is yours.

However, if you have not tried it via eating a normal carb output you may want to try that first before trying to find a way to restrict a certain macro..

just my .02..
  • ndj1979
    Options

You know that goal is without purposeful exercise - you should add back 50% of your exercise from MFP database / gym machine burns and eat that too

I lost the majority of my weight at around 1560 plus exercise calories but then I kind of think I'm taller than you, I'm certainly much older

All I'm saying is, and it's totally up to you as I have no issue with low carb if that's right for you, but if you have met your protein and fat macros as discussed earlier and met your basic nutritional goals you can eat the rest of your calories however you wish .. in carbs, in chocolate, in ice cream ... whatever makes you able to stick to your diet for life

In the final analysis it's just about calories in < calories out to lose scale weight. For health meeting nutritional guidelines and exercising is important.

Whether or not you stick to a low carb diet plan is personal choice within the whole CICO equation

It took me a lot to throw away everything I thought I knew about dieting and just focus on CICO .. but it worked

Yeah i completely understand what your saying but like i said above i personally think its about trial and error for each individual, i was just looking for a rough starting point. I would up my calories but i think 1200 is fine as i dont find myself getting hungry or feel as if i need to eat more, if i did there is no way i would risk my health to loose abit of extra fat! I eat 1200 without logging my exercise as im comfortable with that and it fills me up adequatly. But as i carry on through my journey if i feel i need to up my intake i will definitley do it as health is the most important thing to me and main reason i do this :)

At your age (calorie needs decrease as you get older, fact of life) and being at a weight where you already feel fine, unless you are on bedrest for some reason or disabled to the point you cannot move and also extremely short, 1200 is a dangerously low number.
    If your goal is to get a leaner look, then you need to focus on training, not on how to lose more.
    The reason I mentioned your age to begin with in a previous question, is because realistically a teenager who is already at a good weight, has both different goals and different needs than e.g. a middle aged person who has been overweight or obese for years. And realistically what is a tool that can help someone lose weight (calorie counting, experimenting with unusual macro combination to fight cravings or bad habits etc) is not necesserily helpful for someone who has completely different goals. If a 50 year old guy who has lots of weight to lose and health issues to
    fight with counts religiously calories and macros, this is a useful tool to get lose weight. When a 19 year old with no weight to lose spends time counting calories and macros, talks of very low calorie goals and restricting carbs, this is the beginning of a very unhealthy relationship with food.

I appreciate your feedback however as i said above i already train daily so i have already concentrated on that. When body builders are cutting they do the exact same thing so i dont understand how you can say its a very unhealthy relationship with food. I am in no way putting my health at risk, if i started to feel as if i was i would up my calories to make sure it wasnt at risk.

are you on a structured lifting program, or one that you designed on your own?

what is your current training regimen?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Low carb is not something you will do while cutting. You said it is a lifetime decision, because you want to look lean. You also said you are eating 1200 calories and not logging exercise, yet you exercise several days per week. At this point, this is not a bulk/cut plan, this is obsessing over losing fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

are you on a structured lifting program, or one that you designed on your own?

what is your current training regimen?

^This.

And OP, how tall are you?

• ksrandall777
    ksrandall777 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The easiest way to eat less carbs is to replace junky carbs with healthy ones. Examples of good, healthy carbs include: quinoa, brown rice, basmati rice, fruits, vegetables, good quality wheat bread (like Dave's Killer Bread or Ezekiel 4:9), sprouted grain bread, grain-less bread, whole wheat pasta, vegetable pasta, etc. Healthy carbs often have fiber, which will make you eat less food and give your body more energy.

It also helps to start limiting processed foods and sugary drinks, which often contain empty carbs due to over processing.

Some energy drinks are made with refined sugar despite being labeled as "healthy" or "natural". These type of drinks often have more sugar than Kool Aid or soda pop! Always read the label before consuming energy drinks.

If you eat out, do your best to eat meals with meat, soy (like tempeh or tofu), fruit, vegetables, and/or cheese (like the parmesan or mozzarella). Many places allow you to switch out starchy foods (like mashed potatos) with green vegetables and/or salad. I did that last night when I was at Olive Garden with my family.

[NOTE: If you're allergic to wheat or soy, keep your eye out for other healthy options that don't use either ingredient-- like grainless foods.]
  • ksrandall777
    Options
    Firstly i dont think my age has anything to do with it, i dont know why people comment on things like this putting down your decisions. I want to try a low carb diet because i want to drop my body fat and get lean.

Because they're CICO people. They believe Calories In, Calories Out is the Be-All-End-All of weight loss or weight gain. They forget that the human body is like a car and human food is fuel. If one puts good quality fuel in their car, they'll have more energy and power to run around. If one puts junky fuel in their "car", the "car" will eventually break down. Unlike the regular cars, we humans can't go and get a new body if we get sick or disabled.

Don't pay those folks any mind. I think it's great that you're trying to establish good habits at your age. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Firstly i dont think my age has anything to do with it, i dont know why people comment on things like this putting down your decisions. I want to try a low carb diet because i want to drop my body fat and get lean.

Because they're CICO people. They believe Calories In, Calories Out is the Be-All-End-All of weight loss or weight gain. They forget that the human body is like a car and human food is fuel. If one puts good quality fuel in their car, they'll have more energy and power to run around. If one puts junky fuel in their "car", the "car" will eventually break down. Unlike the regular cars, we humans can't go and get a new body if we get sick or disabled.

Don't pay those folks any mind. I think it's great that you're trying to establish good habits at your age. :)

Calories in and calories out IS the key to weight loss or weight gain. Nutrition involves more factors. But you don't have to eat a low carbohydrate diet to be well nourished. It's possible to be well nourished on a diet that is higher in carbohydrates (just as it is possible to be nourished on a low carbohydrate diet).
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try more protein/more fat to hit your daily calorie goals, and less sugary/white flour type foods. Helps me feel better, lift more weights, do boot camp -- better nutrition for my physical/metabolism type.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Perhaps when you have more experience doing this, you'll realize that establishing an energy deficit is a separate issue than the nutritional make up of the calories you're consuming.

All weight loss takes place because you are taking in less energy than you expend.

It is false thinking to presume that anyone posting on these boards is not concerned with nutrition.

The guidance you gave the poster included a lot of carbohydrate dense foods that would not fit in with her goals of going low carb.

• jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    G
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ok, run this experiment on yourself:

eat the right calories
    lower you carbs to 70 grams a day
    eat 500 calories over maintenance for four months
    record monthly weight
    report back with results

FYI - the human body is far more complex than a car engine.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people's negativity towards low carb. I think it's a fantastic way to lose weight. For me eating low carb had cut my cravings for food. I'm so satisfied with the meals I eat and am still losing. It's helped my hypoglycaemia. For me, eating high carbs and low fat always set me up for failure as id be ravenous all day long. Lchf has helped me stick to my calorie deficit. Yes you don't need to limit carbs to lose weight, but it does help people who struggle eating carbs.

I think most of us agree low carb CAN be a very effective way to create a calorie deficit/lose weight.

The disagreement comes with those who say it's the ONLY way and/or calories don't matter as long as you count carbs.
  • ksrandall777
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Calories in and calories out IS the key to weight loss or weight gain. Nutrition involves more factors. But you don't have to eat a low carbohydrate diet to be well nourished. It's possible to be well nourished on a diet that is higher in carbohydrates (just as it is possible to be nourished on a low carbohydrate diet).

Of course there are many different eating styles that fit different lifestyles and body types in this world.

There are a few CICO fanatics on this forum that push Calories In, Calories Out in every post and lambast anyone who asks about low carb or other eating styles. That's not right. That's just pure juvenile-styled bullying and many of the CICO folks doing this are over the age of 18 and from the US. Triple shame on them! We live in a democracy that allows us to live our lives how we want (a basic lesson all Americans learn in elementary school).

If someone wants to eat a non-mainstream diet (like low carb, gluten free, kosher, halal, vegan, vegetarian, etc), that is their right. The original poster didn't ask about CICO. She asked about how to go low carb and those pro-CICO types come in and bash her. I've seen this happen on other low carb posts too. Enough is enough. Let people choose their health habits. Let's keep this on-topic about low-carb since that is what the original poster asked about.

I'm living proof that not everyone in America can eat what they want and be slim (like the CICO fanatics). Yeah, I've seen the posts here on the forums. One MFP post had CICO people encouraging a young person exercise to get rid of the calories from vodka. Alcohol drinking habits leads to Cirrhosis later in life. I worked as a medical assistant in UCLA's hospital back in 2005 in the Liver Transplant department. I've watched skinny people die from Cirrhosis or on the liver transplant table because they got into the habit of drinking alcohol in their young adult years. It is a painful, stinky death. If the CICO folks were pushing real nutrition and healthy eating habits while saying "cut the calories", I wouldn't say anything.

Being my size is very different from being slim. It's a totally different lifestyle. I have to watch what I eat and for me that means high-protein, limited carbs, no white carbs (like refined flour or potatoes). Low carb is helping me lose weight and get my strength back. Low carb also helps me deal with a problem that all obese people deal with: hunger pangs. The only way an obese person can fight hunger is by eating fiber. Many people in the medical field (esp. those at the University of Washington) would agree with me.

Another thing: A low carb diet gave me the strength to stand up straight and walk instead of being chair-bound like I was for the last decade of my life. Even my doctors told me to eat more protein so my body can re-build muscle in my back, abs, shoulders, and left arm. My doctors work and teach at Harborview Medical Center which is part of the University of Washington (one of the top medical schools in the US).

You see that body in my picture? I don't drink alcohol. I got that body because of high carbs paired with limited mobility due to an accident I had 12 years ago. I have to lose over 200 lbs. I've managed to lose 40 lbs by changing my eating habits. I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs. I get more than enough carbs from fruits and green & purple vegetables. I don't miss French bread, white pasta, or white rice (the foods I used to eat before). I don't miss American processed food or fast food either.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't understand people's negativity towards low carb. I think it's a fantastic way to lose weight. For me eating low carb had cut my cravings for food. I'm so satisfied with the meals I eat and am still losing. It's helped my hypoglycaemia. For me, eating high carbs and low fat always set me up for failure as id be ravenous all day long. Lchf has helped me stick to my calorie deficit. Yes you don't need to limit carbs to lose weight, but it does help people who struggle eating carbs.

the only negativity is being directed at people that think that low carb is not CICO or the ones claiming carb addiction.

If you want to do low carb then by all means do it; just don't tell me that it is superior to any other method of calorie deficit, or that it somehow does not adhere to the basic principles of math and science.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Of course there are many different eating styles that fit different lifestyles and body types in this world.

There are a few CICO fanatics on this forum that push Calories In, Calories Out in every post and lambast anyone who asks about low carb or other eating styles. That's not right. That's just pure juvenile-styled bullying and many of the CICO folks doing this are over the age of 18 and from the US. Triple shame on them! We live in a democracy that allows us to live our lives how we want (a basic lesson all Americans learn in elementary school).

If someone wants to eat a non-mainstream diet (like low carb, gluten free, kosher, halal, vegan, vegetarian, etc), that is their right. The original poster didn't ask about CICO. She asked about how to go low carb and those pro-CICO types come in and bash her. I've seen this happen on other low carb posts too. Enough is enough. Let people choose their health habits. Let's keep this on-topic about low-carb since that is what the original poster asked about.

I'm living proof that not everyone in America can eat what they want and be slim (like the CICO fanatics). I have watch what I eat and for me that means high-protein, limited carbs, no white carbs (like refined flour or potatoes). Low carb is helping me lose weight and get my strength back. Low carb also helps me deal with a problem that all obese people deal with: hunger pangs. The only way an obese person can fight hunger is by eating fiber. Another thing: I can stand up straight and walk instead of being chair-bound or bed bound like I was for the last decade of my life.

You see that body in my picture? I don't drink alcohol. I got that body because of high carbs paired with limited mobility due to an accident I had 12 years ago. I have to lose over 200 lbs. I've managed to lose 40 lbs by changing my eating habits. I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs. I get more than enough carbs from fruits and green & purple vegetables. I don't miss French bread or white rice (the foods I used to eat before).

So are you saying that CICO does not apply to everyone and that I can eat in a calorie surplus, go low carb, and lose weight?

and you got the body in the picture from overeating, carbs had nothing to do with it, no matter how much you think they did.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

There are a few CICO fanatics on this forum that push Calories In, Calories Out in every post and lambast anyone who asks about low carb or other eating styles. That's not right. That's just pure juvenile-styled bullying and many of the CICO folks doing this are over the age of 18 and from the US. Triple shame on them! We live in a democracy that allows us to live our lives how we want (a basic lesson we all learned in elementary school).

Where has ANYONE bashed her?

Specific examples please.

Pointing out that low-carb is not absolutely necessary isn't bashing.
    I'm living proof that not everyone in America can eat what they want and be slim (like the CICO fanatics). I have watch what I eat and for me that means high-protein, limited carbs, no white carbs (like refined flour or potatoes). Low carb is helping me lose weight and get my strength back. Low carb also helps me deal with a problem that all obese people deal with: hunger pangs. The only way an obese person can fight hunger is by eating fiber. Another thing: I can stand up straight and walk instead of being chair-bound or bed bound like I was for the last decade of my life.

Bold is simply lol-worthy. WTF???

You see that body in my picture? I don't drink alcohol. I got that body because of high carbs paired with limited mobility due to an accident I had 12 years ago. I have to lose over 200 lbs. I've managed to lose 40 lbs by changing my eating habits. I have lost 7 more pounds for a total of 47 lbs. because I cut white rice and limit my portions of grain-based carbs. I get more than enough carbs from fruits and green & purple vegetables. I don't miss French bread or white rice (the foods I used to eat before).

No...you got it by eating more calories than your body burned. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, and certainly major medical issues can and do affect the number of calories your body burns on an average day, sometimes significantly. But the point of CICO still stands.

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Has the OP ever come back and answered how tall she is?

I am concerned, with a weight of 119, if she even needs to lose weight at all.

A recomp might be what she needs, not low carb or any diet at all.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Ok, run this experiment on yourself:

eat the right calories
    lower you carbs to 70 grams a day
    eat 500 calories over maintenance for four months
    record monthly weight
    report back with results

FYI - the human body is far more complex than a car engine.

Maybe you will finally get a taker...