WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    June is turning out to be a very busy month. I am having trouble keeping up so will have to do my best.

One of my goals for June is to be in bed before 10 p.m. during the work week..... so eeekkkk it is 10:10. Spent to much time reading!!!

Goodnight

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tuesday and could not post yesterday as we lost power until 2pm today. NO training yesterday as raining too hard and VERY windy and No power. Just walking today and rain again
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Tere – thanks for eloquently saying what I would to Alison and Pip.

Terri – coffee fudge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG can I just bathe in it?

Lisa – love the egg visual!

Heather – I need to spend more time on skinnytaste! I second it though, everything I have made from there has come out great!

Becca – you are a strong woman! I love the idea of drawing for the basket, and you all can come here to can, my kitchen is not huge, but I love to can and do it whenever I get my hands on free or cheap fruits and veggies.

Mia – glass blowing… is so cool, as a kid my folks could take me to a fair where there would be a glass blower and just leave me, I’d still be standing there watching hours later! I would love (others would too I’m sure) to see some pictures! Love the bird!!!

Sue in TX – is your granddaughter graduating from Seattle U? Cause I am leaving on Thursday to drive to Seattle for Seattle U’s graduation on Sunday.

Glimmersilver – welcome

So I am looking forward to time with my God daughter and seeing my god son graduate, but the family dynamics of this family will take all my will power and self control! So on Friday, Saturday and Sunday if you all feel tired it is because I am sucking all your good will and energy to be a calm nice person. There is a poop disturber in the group, and she is one who is Never wrong, and someone else has to take the fall for everything she does that is goofy.. and it is already starting, I got a call from the hotel verifying the cancellation of my hotel reservation…NOT – so who I ask requested the cancelation… 1 guess! Ms. Poop disturber. So they now know that she can not speak for me… I would have been frantic to drive all the way to seattle and have no where to stay. In many ways this is not a vacation but an obligation… I was hoping that it would not be that way. This is for me a huge commitment of time and money, and this woman knows it, for her power is fun, and wheedling the power and watching others jump gives her a high … The only way to fix it is not respond, then she has no power, but sometimes…I just want to deck her… Maybe she is related to Alison’s DH…

I will spend as little time with her as I can, but she poisons the situation sometimes… I only have to do 3 things with them, attend a brunch, graduation, and baccalaureate everything else is my choice, I need to remember that. I will feel obligated – but I need to own my choice in what I do and what I eat.

June goals:
    Walk every day 180 miles for the month (in May I did 175… thought maybe a higher goal would be good)
    NEW – 1 plank every day – and log them here - 6
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    do 2 fun things every week - week 1 – no traditional fun – but working hard to get all embroidery jobs done, clean up clutter inside and out, so that my doggy sitter will not have that to deal with, and the house will look nice when I get home.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Read all 4 new pages but didn't take as many notes.Know that I think and talk about you guys all the time.

Heather, congrats on getting your French retreat at a lower price!!! Looked at the place you are going in July. WOW, breathtaking! Wish I could be a little mouse and tag along.

Allison, you can tell us about your day anytime you want to and we won't even ask you to scrub the floor. If I may ask, what was his parents like when he was young? Is this a learned behavior he has from his own upbringing?

Tere, I thought I could train my husband also but after over 40 years of marriage I have decided he is untrainable.

Mia, your feelings about yourself sound oh so familiar. I think it was when I went form a 22 to a 12 that I finally realized that I was smaller. Since I haven't lost any weight in months, and I never did do anything to tone up my muscles, I need to give myself a big talking to again. I love those recycled tires. It is amazing the imagination people have and how they take something that is useless and turn it into a piece of art.

Janet Myrtle Beach, yes my daughter works inside a cave. But they have taken a small area in the cave and wallled it off to make it like an office. The cave is pretty big so there is a lot that is still cave. They share the space with Hybridge spring water which tastes to pure. When we toured the cave it was after quite a long rain and the spring was flowing quite nicely. This is where she works. You can only see part of the cave in one of the pictures.
    http://www.kentuckyunderground.com/. She loves it.

Kim, yes, please send the recipe. I might get brave and try it.

NMMargaet, when my MIL lived in a nursing home, they also would lose clothes even though we clearly had every single item of clothing marked with her name on them. But they soon found out that you did not want to mess with her. She could get quite mad. There were times I would find extra clothes in her closet.

OK, some are asking what a uterine ablation is. I had to google it myself. She has extremely heavy periods. And working in a cave with the potty (porta potty) outside the cave you don't need to be running out there very often. So this ablation, they take these 'rods', first a very small rod, take it out and then a larger one and then larger one, etc, into her cervix to gradually enlarge it so they can get their instrument in there. With the ablation, they pretty much remove the inner layer of the inside of the uterus and it takes about a month or so to completely slough it off. Lots of kotex pads :# They said her cervix was quite tough and didn't want to hardly even accept the first 'rod' to open the cervix up. So in trying to do so they punctured a hole in the uterine wall. So, no surgery. Now I know what happens if a hole is put in the wall of the colon so I really don't understand the non urgency about putting a hole in the uterus. But they said to take tomorrow off work and take it easy, the hole will repair itself. They are going to give her a prescription to take at the beginning of her period to make it not so heavy.

So that was my day. Worrying and talking to her. Tomorrow is lunch with Sunday school class ladies. Another desert offered, goody, goody :'( .

Forgot to mention a hearty welcome to jean, Kim1546 and glimmersilver. Hope I didn't miss anyone. So sorry if I did.

Talk to you later, Joyce, Indiana
  • dlevans_59
    dlevans_59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Donna, I saw this group and thought I would ask for your help. Not sure I am in the right area to post this, but this age group is right up my decade so here I am. I have been on a mission to improve my health for the last 3 or 4 months. Because part of the time I live by myself and can do what I want, I have done well in almost reaching my goal. My problem is: when I am not alone. I was never hugely overweight, but have some work injuries that nagged at me and a health assessment that revealed a 30% body fat composition. However it was all hidden by clothes right? Well when I get on MFP to log calories, or refrain from joining the rest of the family for ice cream, or margaritas (I dearly love both!), I don't get much support from my husband.
    I understand how enjoyable it its to eat and celebrate with family, but I don't want to sabotage my progress. He seems to be okay when I am working out...although I often get a 'what are you doing THAT for' look. The bottom line is the expectation from other people to eat and share what they are eating is taking its toll on me. My husband actually got angry at me one day when I was logging calories and making choices to stay within my calorie allotment for the day. Background on that is we have a daughter with an eating disorder. I understand his fear, but I am pretty sure I am not heading down that road.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi gals

Pressed for time today because we're flying down to the holiday place in a couple hours. (I forget who asked, but it's 1½ hours by plane, then 2 hours by car and ferry.) I'll be there for a month, but I won't be coming back home until after spending yet another month with my parents in New Hampshire. That means I have to pack clothes to cover everything: cool mountain hikes and hot summer days, jogging and a fancy dinner or two. And I haven't started yet...

Katla - Great about your husband going to the gym on his own initiative! Apparently you've managed to set an example and maybe he's discovered he actually likes working out!

Katla and Kim and Sylvia all mention hot weather. I shouldn't worry about how I'll manage this summer in New Hampshire, but I do. (Not that New Hampshire is famous for heat waves!) Still, heat is my nemesis, and humidity is his evil sidekick.

I'll be back in touch soon!

Penny (still at the Pole)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    morning friends~
    got about 4 hours sleep on and off last night...and it is my long day at work...
    Joyce~ 2 things.. they will probably put your daughter on Listida.. I was on that before my ablation.. it is 4 horse size pills you take 3 times a day every day you have your period. that lasted about 6 months for me, they didn't really work for me...
    and from what I know..it was the typical 50's family dad worked ,mom stayed home,,he doesnt deal with stress well he blows up,if he gets mad, he slams walls or desks..his father I guess did the same thing.. what do you call it a short fuse?
    I can tell you one thing he wasn't like this when I met him 20 yrs ago..
    I am guessing the stress of the reno, his work.he is working 10.5 hrs a day and then he comes home and does more work..
    I am going to leave him a note.. he hates them but if he is not going to listen to me without blowing up then that's what I have to do..
    we have had counseling earlier on, but he refuses now..
    he doesn't really like me being on the computer.. we shall see if he tries to take that away too >:)
    well been up since 3:15 am will throw a load of laundry in and have a cup of tea..
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Not sure what happened with my post but be assured it was worth while and witty. Lol. I am up so late that I might as well get dressed for work. Good night ,my friends. I will try this much later.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Tere~thank you for your insight and your love it truly means alot...It is so refreshing to hear from dear friends that I am worthy.. I am kind... and I am beautiful (to quote the movie the Help)
    I guess what really ticks me off is when he talks to people on the phone or to the dogs he is all nice and sweet, but gee with me he just lets loose.
    I have always been a person that has helped other people ,I truly care .. that is me.. and I am glad at least my family, and his side of the family truly care about that
  • KMHilinski
    KMHilinski Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @exermom I went to a ceramics place for the first time and I love it! I painted a soup mug (i would add pic below, but have yet to figure out how) going back to paint more as the ladies at work all want one now!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    @dlevans_59 - Donna - First, welcome to the group.

Second, my now-ex-husband was much the same way... he would sit by me with a bowl of candy, no joke. One of the many, many reasons he's now my ex. Two explanations you can give your husband, as politely as you choose to give them. The first is one from my flight attendant days.

You can't save your daughter with the eating disorder unless you save yourself, much like you have to put your own oxygen mask on first should they drop down on a plane, THEN you assist the child sitting next to you. You don't have an eating disorder, you are eating healthy foods, in healthy amounts (I assume). That's modeling important behaviors, not encouraging sick ones.

Two - does he WANT you to be around? Or would he prefer you to be dead? Hopefully, the answer is he wants you there. That's what you're trying to accomplish with eating healthier.

Maybe it's easier for us because my husband's nine years younger. He knows I'm doing this because once I hit 90 years old, I plan on being healthy enough to kick the snot out of those 80-year-old chippies that will be swarming around him like honeybees. :wink: Just saying. He's kind of hot.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Computer hack for today - I do a lot of training on computers, so please note there are always three ways to do EVERYthing. Please also note this is only for those working on PCs. I do NOT upload pictures from my phone, I'm afraid that will have to be a hack you learn from someone else!

However, if you're on your Windows computer, you can select the little thingie that looks like a turned down page above the "Reply" box at the bottom of the page.

When you select the dropdown arrow it will open up a box where you can either drag and drop a picture from a file folder that you have open next to your reply window or you can select the "Choose Files" button and go to the picture and select it. You also have the option to copy and paste a web URL for a picture into the box at the bottom... if you know how to capture just the address of the picture itself, and not the website.

I had put pictures to illustrate all these things--but it got REALLY confusing really quick. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options

smiley-happy026.gif Donna Welcome, you have come to the right place. We will enjoy everything you want to say about healthy eating and exercise so you don't have to talk to your husband about it. Things take time. Decline unwanted food by saying "no thank you" with no explanations. Wear your earplugs and Kevlar vest to avoid being hurt by mean spirited comments and advice by others. Feel welcome to vent to us. Do not be discouraged. Never, never, never give.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • JadePearl3
    JadePearl3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Need help to stay on track. Keep getting off. Any suggestions how to bust up the motivation, willpower, want power? Please help. :(
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had the best laugh at the SO last night. :D I shared the routine I did with the trainer with him. He had been adamant that whatever I did he was going to do too. I would do the exercise first then he would do it. So after I did the first one – standing leg lift – he did it. I proceeded on with half body push-ups – he counted and encouraged. On to laying down sit-ups – he counted and encouraged. When I advised him that we still has two more sets to complete he exclaimed that he could still feel the impact of the first set of standing leg lifts and that he was so proud of me and my commitment to working with the trainer and dedication to flattening my tummy…… He was so very prolific in his praise that I didn’t have the heart to talk about him too badly. :p (Yes I know that I don’t have the right names for the exercises but you get the idea.)

LisaH: Loved the broken egg! I know for me when I slip it does become an excuse for slipping the rest of the day. Now I’ll remember that I don’t want to break all the eggs.

Becca: Wonderful list!

Allison: You are most welcome! Hope you have a great day! <3

Tere in Richmond VA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

For those wanting help with willpower or won't power - logging, logging, logging is the key. When I lost weight over 18 months I missed about one day of logging. You need a strategy and a plan. I do not have willpower, but I do have a strategy. I always log, I know how much I can eat for each part of the day and I have suitable food available. I am no saint and sometimes alcohol makes me a bit more reckless, but 18 months after I attained my goal weight I am still there. I can never stop logging and do not intend to. If you're not logging you're not doing it. Similarly I have stuck to my exercise regime through thick and thin so that I can eat enough food for me not to feel deprived. This is the key for long term health and fitness. This is for ever and ever and ever. If you are not enjoying it right now you are never going to stick with it. I wish all the new people and the backsliders well, but there is no magic pil, just upping your exercise and logging everything until you find a happy balance you can live with for the rest of your life. And don't expect others to understand. Most people think I am obsessed and crazy! ! :laugh: I never mention it to friends and fsmily unless they ask, apart from DH who thinks I am obsessed, but would rather have me healthy and not the crippled mess I used to be.

DH has gone off to do the grocery shopping. I am going to weed a flower bed, do my rental accounts and then fix my nails for tomorrow's trip to London. Water the pots. Pick some broad (fava) beans for tonight to have with salmon trout.

That's it! Must get in touch with the Property Management side of my rental managers.

Love Heather in UK
    27681614.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Heather I agree with you about the logging. I do better when I log. The other thing that helps me is portion control. Also If I let myself have a treat it has to be something I will savor. Some things are easy for me like when DSIL brought home a cherry pie. Cherry pie has never been a favorite on mine so it was easy NSV to turn it down.

Michele your snail looks great. Your critters will add a touch of whimsy to your gorgeous pool area.

Today before going to visit mom I plan to go through some old photos at her home, so I can hopefully add some more photos to her room. I know the clothes issues is a problem in nursing homes. My DSIL has tried to buy her clothes and we nodded at each other in agreement how hard it is to find things that work for my mom. If I had more time a place like Savers or Goodwill would be a good place to look. Maybe when I get back to St. Paul I can look and send them to her via the mail.

:drinker:

Have a wonderful day friends!

:heart: MNMargaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

Two old men were sitting in the yard outside the old people's home one day when Tim turned to the other and said "John I'm really feeling my age today I just hurt all over, how are you feeling?"

John replied "I feel just like a new born baby"

Tim looked at him startled "A new born baby, really?"

"Yep, I have no hair, no teeth, and I think I just wet my pants."

:D
  • feelsgood2
    feelsgood2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am a 51 year old mum of 4 kids from NSW Australia. Been using MPF on and off for a couple years, enjoy Zumba and weight training. Want to drop a few more kg's and looking for great support group like this one. Also started using a FitBit to help track what I'm doing. My goals for June:

10,000 steps per day (average 70,000 per week)
    3 x Gym Classes per week.
    To be under 70kg at the end of June.

Cheers,

Caz

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

I have another doctor appt this morning, will see how far I've come since November. I think the news will be positive so I'm not anxious. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to respond to everyone today. I am thinking of all of you.

Thought for the day: “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” ~ Arthur Ashe

Have a wonderful day, my friends

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (Completed but plans have changed so needs some tweaking)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn giggle.gif)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton