Insulin resistant

Options
124»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Neither do I. How about yogurt and a low-GI fruit for breakfast? I like cottage cheese and fruit, but I don't think you have that where you are.

Fruit = carbohydrate = not the friend of Insulin Resistance.

Don't be duped by "low GI" fruit which is high FI (fructose).

Duh. People with insulin resistance can have SOME carbs. A serving or two of fruit can absolutely fit into a diet of 75-100G carbs/day.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Neither do I. How about yogurt and a low-GI fruit for breakfast? I like cottage cheese and fruit, but I don't think you have that where you are.

Fruit = carbohydrate = not the friend of Insulin Resistance.

Don't be duped by "low GI" fruit which is high FI (fructose).

Duh. People with insulin resistance can have SOME carbs. A serving or two of fruit can absolutely fit into a diet of 75-100G carbs/day.

ETA: I get the bulk of my carbs at breakfast, so I can afford to have some fruit at that time. I am NOT snacking on fruit throughout the day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It is good to hear from other people that are still eating and enjoying some regular foods!

I have been reading many books and had a look at the GI value of many foods. I will have a look for this book also - thank you! I am feeling dizzy and weak again today. I am not sure if my blood sugar levels may be high or perhaps could they also dip low because of the metformin and restricted carbs?

My doctor did not tell me to buy a home blood glucose monitor however I am thinking of buying one. Is this useful for insulin resistance or is it really only used for diabetics? I am treating myself like a type 2 diabetic as from the books I have read they are both very similar and insulin can lead to type 2 diabetes. Is this extreme of me to think like this?

Op, I am sorry but you are getting lots of nonsense replies on this thread. If you have questions, go back to your dr. If you do not think your dr is qualified to answer, get an appointment with an endocrinolgist. Get a second or third opinion. Insulin resistance does not mean low carb, does not require monitoring blood glucose and most certainly does not require avoiding white, or any other color, food or avoiding fruit. There is a lot of pseudo-science in the replies, and an ocean of nonsense and fad diets in the web. Your dr wants you to lose weight, and balance carbs throughout the day, which is in principle what works for insulin resistance. If you are havign trouble adjusting to meds, let him know. If you need more flexibility in your diet, ask for a reference to a dietician, or see if the hospital/clinic has sample plans for managing diabetes and prediabetes. You can also check diabetes.org for advice on how to build your menus.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. It is good to hear from other people that are still eating and enjoying some regular foods!

I have been reading many books and had a look at the GI value of many foods. I will have a look for this book also - thank you! I am feeling dizzy and weak again today. I am not sure if my blood sugar levels may be high or perhaps could they also dip low because of the metformin and restricted carbs?

My doctor did not tell me to buy a home blood glucose monitor however I am thinking of buying one. Is this useful for insulin resistance or is it really only used for diabetics? I am treating myself like a type 2 diabetic as from the books I have read they are both very similar and insulin can lead to type 2 diabetes. Is this extreme of me to think like this?

Op, I am sorry but you are getting lots of nonsense replies on this thread. If you have questions, go back to your dr. If you do not think your dr is qualified to answer, get an appointment with an endocrinolgist. Get a second or third opinion. Insulin resistance does not mean low carb, does not require monitoring blood glucose and most certainly does not require avoiding white, or any other color, food or avoiding fruit. There is a lot of pseudo-science in the replies, and an ocean of nonsense and fad diets in the web. Your dr wants you to lose weight, and balance carbs throughout the day, which is in principle what works for insulin resistance. If you are havign trouble adjusting to meds, let him know. If you need more flexibility in your diet, ask for a reference to a dietician, or see if the hospital/clinic has sample plans for managing diabetes and prediabetes. You can also check diabetes.org for advice on how to build your menus.

Did you see where she's living? Her medical care isn't optimal.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

She is living in Chile, not some 3d world country. She said she also has private medical insurance, so can afford a dr. According to WHO, Chile does not rank bad at all regarding medical care: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

It sounds like you are taking charge of your health and a great idea!

Insulin resistance and often times type 2 diabetes can be reversed

I did it.

It took a year and a half from an initial blood glucose test of a little over 300 to fasting glucose of 85.

Carbs were limited to 60-80, vegetable based foods. No sugar or white rice/ potatoes. I had fruit in the morning and had time to burn it off.

It was explained to me that blood glucose meter checks are for a quick snapshot. A1C tests are for a 90 day look at how much glucose is in your blood on average. They kept it very simple for me. It is probably more complex than that.

So I exercised doing cardio specifically to burn the glucose out of my blood on a regular basis. I did some higher intensity cardio to target that fuel source.

It did lower my A1C progressively to the mid 5's. It helped me lose a bit over 100 pounds.

I had a very specific nutrition plan and exercise plan to target those key goals and it worked very well for me.

Hopefully you can work with a Dr and maybe nutritionist and trainer as I did and get a strategy for health tailored just for you by professionals taking care of you personally.

On regular foods: I do eat more carbs at times when I have a fuel need for them. If I am going to run a 5K with some friends I will snarf down a Quest bar and a kiwi fruit or something like that. It never runs my blood sugar up. It just gets burned up as fuel. They are not bad when I use them properly.

Best wishes on your journey.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

She is living in Chile, not some 3d world country. She said she also has private medical insurance, so can afford a dr. According to WHO, Chile does not rank bad at all regarding medical care: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000

Particular town might matter. Since another poster knows exactly where she's living and seemed to think it's an issue, how can we know?

An issue might also be the distribution of the other nutrients she's eating, since she was cutting her fats so low. Carbs for people with insulin issues without protein or fat can be problematic, from what I understand, thus the advice to cut carbs for a quick and dirty way for her to address her issues in the absence of decent medical input on the issue.

• toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance 3 years ago and have lost 101 lbs using the Insulin Resistance diet book. Before you commit yourself to ANY diet please read that book!

The diet taught me how to eat a 7 protein 15 carb ratio that doesn't exceed 30 carbs at any meal. Essentially, it just taught me how to portion control and eat healthy foods. I've maintained my weight of almost 2 years and it's a diet that you can sustain the rest of your life.

With the help of MFP and a food scale, you can easily reach that ratio everyday. After you start to identify what 30 carbs looks like, you can stop weighing food.

Few Examples of meals: (Choose a protein and carb)

Breakfast:
    Protein: Turkey Sausage, Egg and Egg Whites, Left over dinner meats, deli slices, Bacon
    Carb: 1 package of instant Grits, 1 cup of chex Cereal with almond milk, 1 package of oatmeal (1 cup), 5 ounces of sweet potato

Lunch
    Huge salad with meat and fruit topping
    Left over dinner

Dinner:
    One serving of meat of your choice
    Carbs: Small portion of mac and cheese w/ side salad, half a baked potato or 5 ounces of sweet potato,

Snacks:
    Protein: Jerky, Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Nuts
    Carbs: Fruit, Quest Bar, Chex mix

I also add veggies to EVERYTHING! Even though they do add a few carbs to your meal, the fiber is good to have in your diet.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options

OMG, are you a doctor? Do you have diabetes?
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=satah+hallberg is the link to to the youtube video by Dr. Sarah Hallberg
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=satah+hallberg is the link to to the youtube video by Dr. Sarah Hallberg

Fantastic talk. And it works, who knew?
  • tinahagar498
    tinahagar498 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the video link! I just want to say that I live in Antofagasta Chile and that Chile as a whole is a very poor country. As in many countries, it is a small percentage of people who have all the money. The minimum wage here is $200.000 chilean pesos. Imagine $200 every month as your pay for working 35-40 hours per week! It is very bad. To rent a single bedroom in someone else's house here costs from $130.000 CLP per month! You either pay for basic health insurance which we have or you use the public health system which really is appalling. I waited 3 hours outside in the cold a few weeks ago! I absolutely do not have much money, certainly not to pay for a dietician, endocrinologist or second opinions. We had to pay for my blood tests on a credit card. My medications cost $35.000. My options are limited here and so I am trying to make the most of the information and resources around me. Of course if I am referred to someone else by my doctor in a couple of weeks then I will have to pay but due to how much we struggle even just to pay our rent I don't have the ability to make appointments to see lots of people.
    It is true that I am getting a lot of conflicting information from people and books. It honestly seems that there is no real science for it as everyone is different. Eating low carb will prevent a rise in blood glucose levels it seems and therefore prevent high levels of insulin being released. At the moment though I am not so convinced this is working for me and I was hoping that the metformin would help to normalise my insulin levels a little to give me a head start. Perhaps when I go back to the doctor he will prescribe a higher dose. Of course I will ask all of these questions and more. I guess I was just impatient and tried to reach out to people who may be experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately although I am very thankful for everyone's experiences that they have shared with me, my posts have also caused some negative comments on here which is a little sad.

Thanks once again to everyone who has shown support.
    Tina.