Lifting Knowledge Please

Options
OK, so I have been eating healthy and exercising for 101 days (gotta love that day counter on MFP). I try to stay within my macros and eat as healthy as possible. Understand, this is coming from a chocoholic, so this is a big accomplishment for me. After spending some time on the forums, I started trying to eat more protein and have invested in protein powder. My mother sees a cardiologist who has told her that it' best to try to eat things rich in protein and to eat less carbs and sugar. Our family has a history of cholesterol issues, diabetes, high liver enzymes, and are an obese bunch. So, I took that as advice to try as well. I still end up with around 100 (or so) carbs... If that makes sense. The weight is coming off SLOOOOWWWW. It's frustrating, but it's coming off and that is what matters!

When I started exercising I focused primarily on cardio (treadmill, elliptical, Arc trainer, bike... you get the idea). I got a gym membership at Planet Fitness I really like doing the 30 minute circuit. Over the last 2 months I have been incorporating the circuit into my workout routine. I workout 5-6 days a week doing cardio 4 days, and 2 day of doing both circuit and cardio. I exercise about 45 min - 90 min a day. Over the last month I have tried to do less reps but lift heavier on the circuit, which seems to be working my muscles a little harder or I feel more sore afterwards...

My question (you thought I would never get to it, huh?) is how does one decide on a lifting routine? I would like to be able to have "lifting days" where I do legs one day and arms the next, and back another, so on so forth. I just am not sure how to start, which machines to use, how often I should increase weight, etc, etc. I would really like to see what everyone else started out with, websites that will build a routine for me, advice, whatever you got. I have no direction right now and am just doing whatever.

Just remember, I am not made for these forums and will cry if you get mean. :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Oh Oh Oh pick me pick me

Okay so when I started my journey I did just cardio. Three times a week for 3 months. Then I started having knee pains. Everytime I would get on that bike, or oliptical, or whatever else, I would dread the pain and only workout for a few minutes. I came to the forums where someone sais something about squats helping. This made me do some research and I found that StrongLifts 5X5 was the routine for me. It it great for beginners to get into the habit of lifting and gain the knowledge essential for proper lifting. This program is a great gateway program to move onto other programs or make up your known when you've properly educated yourself on lifting and form. I haven't done cardio since. Oh an my knee? I taped it for 2 weeks just to be safe and the pain was completely gone after that.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Starting strength or Stronglifts 5x5 would be the obvious starting points.

Everyone starts somewhere so find a program and stick with it. Program your lifts and lift *your* program :) Go get strong!
  • kguerriere
    kguerriere Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    "madhatter2013;32824371"]Oh Oh Oh pick me pick me

.....StrongLifts 5X5 was the routine for me. It it great for beginners to get into the habit of lifting and gain the knowledge essential for proper lifting.

I also recommend StrongLifts 5x5 for beginners! Partially quoting madhatter2013 because ... TRUTH!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Oh Oh Oh pick me pick me

Okay so when I started my journey I did just cardio. Three times a week for 3 months. Then I started having knee pains. Everytime I would get on that bike, or oliptical, or whatever else, I would dread the pain and only workout for a few minutes. I came to the forums where someone sais something about squats helping. This made me do some research and I found that StrongLifts 5X5 was the routine for me. It it great for beginners to get into the habit of lifting and gain the knowledge essential for proper lifting. This program is a great gateway program to move onto other programs or make up your known when you've properly educated yourself on lifting and form. I haven't done cardio since. Oh an my knee? I taped it for 2 weeks just to be safe and the pain was completely gone after that.

Stronglifts 5X5. Researching it now! Thank you for the comment and the enthusiasm! :)
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep, SL for sure. Coming from a 40+yo mom of 5 who had no lifting experience at all. And was deathly afraid of the gym & now thinks I own it :D
    And I can lift more than my hubby!
  • IsaacKremer
    IsaacKremer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should check out Bodbot.com. It's free and provides you with some pretty good workout routines. It doesn't give you "[Insert area here] Days", but it lets you know which area you will be working on with the specific workouts. Just plug in your details, what goals you hope to accomplish, and how often you plan to workout, and it will give you a plan to get there.
  • mcr0980
    mcr0980 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh Oh Oh pick me pick me

I've had the same issues with knee pain! I play lacrosse and so run A LOT, and my knees don't enjoy that or the off-season elliptical work. I've just started lifting again, and it's already helping me feel better with that pain. How does Stronglifts 5x5 work?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    There's a sticky at the top that explains the program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • mcr0980
    mcr0980 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For OP, my lifting schedule is supposed to be like this:
    Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Quads/calves
    Wednesday: Shoulders (I hate Wednesdays...)
    Thursdays: Back (one of my faves!)
    Fridays: Triceps
    Saturdays: Biceps
    Sundays: Hamstrings

For exercises that work each area, either google it or try bodybuilding.com. I love that website, my boyfriend always sends me the links to exercises there. They show you form and explain how to do it for each gender. It's perfect! Because form is really important. I'll be honest, a lot of weeks I don't get to my Friday/Saturday workout so I'll cycle another weekday workout out to make up for it. You can also combine days, like biceps/triceps and quads/calves/hamstrings, but those workouts will be grueling to say the least (read: LEG DAY).

You don't have to follow this exactly! I also incorporate forearm strengthening a couple times a week; I have difficulties sometimes due to weak forearms/wrists. I do cardio every once in awhile but honestly lifting is a great workout on its own.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Choosing a gym routine kind of boils down to what you would like to accomplish.

Personally, I'm another vote for Strong lifts. It's simple and straight forward. The exercises target a large number of muscles. The app is very user friendly. Every planet fitness is different- does yours have Olympic bars and a squat rack? You may find it difficult to do Strong lifts without these items.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Also, there's an app you can get on your phone.....
    You can change the weights, number of lifts per set, etc..
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Personally, I'm another vote for Strong lifts. It's simple and straight forward. The exercises target a large number of muscles. The app is very user friendly. Every planet fitness is different- does yours have Olympic bars and a squat rack? You may find it difficult to do Strong lifts without these items.

I have no idea if it does. I will ask/look, when I go in tomorrow morning :)
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    There's a sticky at the top that explains the program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

perfect, thanks!
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    mcr0980 wrote: »

For exercises that work each area, either google it or try bodybuilding.com. I love that website, my boyfriend always sends me the links to exercises there. They show you form and explain how to do it for each gender. It's perfect! Because form is really important. I'll be honest, a lot of weeks I don't get to my Friday/Saturday workout so I'll cycle another weekday workout out to make up for it. You can also combine days, like biceps/triceps and quads/calves/hamstrings, but those workouts will be grueling to say the least (read: LEG DAY).

You don't have to follow this exactly! I also incorporate forearm strengthening a couple times a week; I have difficulties sometimes due to weak forearms/wrists. I do cardio every once in awhile but honestly lifting is a great workout on its own.

I might just end up copying your routine :) Everyone has given me a good start to research!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »

I have no idea if it does. I will ask/look, when I go in tomorrow morning :)

If your PF doesn't have them you can do the exercises with dumb bells, but they may not be as effective.
  • geekandgranola
    geekandgranola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great training programs for beginners online but what is your goal? Is it to lost weight only? Build muscle? Increase strength? Is there a certain body part you want to pay special attention to (for example, I do extra glute training)? There are a couple of different routes you can take for each but Stronglifts is a great place to start.

When you say the circuit do you mean the pre-organized circuit of machines at Planet Fitness? What kinds of weights and setsxreps are you doing with the circuit?

What does your cardio routine currently look like?

I have many questions! :smile:
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Another vote for SL 5x5.

If your gym doesn't have a squat rack here is a link for info on lifting with dumbbells only:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1

*edit to add that I agree with the others that have stated that a full body routine with compound moves is ideal. I would look into finding a new gym that has a squat rack or power cage if yours doesn't, but the above link will give you some good options for lifting in the meantime.
  • geekandgranola
    geekandgranola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh and what are your current macro goals?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Why do you have a day dedicated to only biceps, hamstrings, and shoulders, and even hamstrings. They are smaller muscle groups, hammies less so, but don't need a day on their own. Seems like a lot of work that could be done much more efficiently in 2-4 days doing a full body routine focusing on compound lifts. If you don't like full body I would suggest either an upper body/lower body split, or a push/pull split, you will get much more out of any of these 3 methods vs. your current routine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »

I might just end up copying your routine :) Everyone has given me a good start to research!
    Please don't, there is so much wrong with it, especially for a beginner.