Is a 1200 calorie day really realistic???? Is that what most of you are doing????

Options

Replies

• kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist would never recommend under 1500 for a healthy and sustainable diet.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1/2" and have been doing 1200 calories for over three months with body-weight strength training and running. I eat back some of the exercise calories, but may indulge a little on a night out.

Lean protein, fiber, and veggies. Down almost 18 pounds.
  • p_lady08
    p_lady08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks kgracesch, because I am at 1900 calorie and workout 2-3 times a week. I am still losing 1 to 1.5 lbs a week.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Is it realistic? Yes, but . . . . Is it appropriate? Maybe.

My height is 5'1.5, and I'm mostly sedentary. I started with about 1500 calories a day (?1450?), and 85 pounds to lose. As I lost weight, I let the app recalculate my calorie goals, down to 1320, and - eventually - down to 1200. So I've only been at 1200 for 2 months, and I'm (almost!) within 20 pounds of my goal weight.

I have had a number of days where reaching 1200 calories was actually a little hard for me. If I get busy or super-focused on something, I tend to not eat. I also learned where my calories were all being spent (bread, milk/cheese, and dried fruit), and curtailed those in favor of more fresh produce.

For myself, I'm pretty well accustomed to 1200 calories, now, and still get not only plenty to eat but plenty of "treats" as well, but I wouldn't recommend a goal/limit for someone with more than 20 pounds to lose, to say nothing of gender differences, activity differences, height differences, etc. Those all need to be factored in.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I did it for 9 months.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    start lifting heavy *kitten* and you won't need to go that low in calories lol
  • mom2wilkoh
    mom2wilkoh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The first couple of days it was really hard sticking to 1200 calories, but now it's hard for me to even reach 1000 calories. It's pretty simple to stick to a low calorie diet as long as you stay away from candy, junk food, soda, and white breads. I have been eating low fat, reduced fat, low sugar, organic types of things for the past week and feel pretty good. I've already lost 4.5 lbs.
  • amyaronson
    amyaronson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 for a week and felt great, but then I started feeling hungry all the time, dizzy, and cranky. I changed from losing 2 lbs a week to one, and now I'm set at 1380 and feel great. It's amazing that 180 calories can make all the difference. I think if you don't have a set deadline for when you want to be your goal weight, you should take it slower and not lose your mind being so hungry all the time!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 250 lbs, female.

When I started 3 years ago, I started at 232 lbs. I started on livestrong.com who suggested 1600 calories/day or something like that. I lost weight, but was tired, cranky, horrible mood swings and hungry all the time. I hid from my friends because I knew I couldn't see them without having to go over my calories for the day. With every pound I lost, that calorie goal dropped dramatically and me feeling motivated from seeing results worked out longer and harder without eating any of my exercise calories back.

Around 200 lbs, my calorie goal dropped to 1200 and I was literally shaking all the time and terrified that if I went over, I would never lose weight. I joined MFP because I liked the community better and they suggested with my activity level that I consume around 1500 calories per day.

6 months later, I had lost 50 lbs. It was great. I could shop without paying the fat tax on clothes. People treated me better. My (now ex)boyfriend stopped cheating on me for awhile (like 2 weeks).

Then winter came and I couldn't stay warm, I was shaking all the time, hallucinating, my mood swings got progressively worse. And then I landed in the hospital. When I got out, I had lost my job and could no longer afford food, my gym membership and all of my efforts went to finding work. I found a job at a fast food establishment and decided to go back to school.

I struggled to avoid the freshman 15 and in that process gained 60 lbs.

Fast forward to today. Trying to lose it all again. Better educated, more prepared to do this without literally starving myself. MFP suggests 1630 calories for me. It's not enough for me.

I've set my goal to 1800, however, I find that is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM I can eat to not have the shakes. Most days I eat between 2300 and 2500 calories. I've been losing. Not as fast as I did the first time, but I don't feel as crappy and I don't hide from my friends in fear of going over my calorie goal.

I'm sorry for writing all of this. It has just occurred to me that no one is going to read this or give a crap.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd not survive on 1200 a day and I have no idea how others do it. Your body needs fuel. I'm on 1790 a day and losing no problem!

This is very dependent on age(and present weight)....at 50 years old, this may change for you

• farfromthetree
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 250 lbs, female.

When I started 3 years ago, I started at 232 lbs. I started on livestrong.com who suggested 1600 calories/day or something like that. I lost weight, but was tired, cranky, horrible mood swings and hungry all the time. I hid from my friends because I knew I couldn't see them without having to go over my calories for the day. With every pound I lost, that calorie goal dropped dramatically and me feeling motivated from seeing results worked out longer and harder without eating any of my exercise calories back.

Around 200 lbs, my calorie goal dropped to 1200 and I was literally shaking all the time and terrified that if I went over, I would never lose weight. I joined MFP because I liked the community better and they suggested with my activity level that I consume around 1500 calories per day.

6 months later, I had lost 50 lbs. It was great. I could shop without paying the fat tax on clothes. People treated me better. My (now ex)boyfriend stopped cheating on me for awhile (like 2 weeks).

Then winter came and I couldn't stay warm, I was shaking all the time, hallucinating, my mood swings got progressively worse. And then I landed in the hospital. When I got out, I had lost my job and could no longer afford food, my gym membership and all of my efforts went to finding work. I found a job at a fast food establishment and decided to go back to school.

I struggled to avoid the freshman 15 and in that process gained 60 lbs.

Fast forward to today. Trying to lose it all again. Better educated, more prepared to do this without literally starving myself. MFP suggests 1630 calories for me. It's not enough for me.

I've set my goal to 1800, however, I find that is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM I can eat to not have the shakes. Most days I eat between 2300 and 2500 calories. I've been losing. Not as fast as I did the first time, but I don't feel as crappy and I don't hide from my friends in fear of going over my calorie goal.

I'm sorry for writing all of this. It has just occurred to me that no one is going to read this or give a crap.

I read it, I give a crap :) Sounds like you know what you are doing this time..when I read about the shakiness I was going to tell you to up your protein but, your protein seems to be good. I used to get shaky when I had blood sugar issues...have you had that checked out??

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very realistic if you eat healthy and filling foods.
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    1200 is a little low for me, I can manage on 1300 though as long as I plan my meals for the day. I do better if I exercise as the extra couple of hundred calories really helps. I don't always manage to stick to 1300 calories on the odd day but still lose if I stick to it the rest of the week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, and others, you might benefit from reading this thread and the links provided in the OP. There is a lot of good info in there. It isn't sugar coated, which is my favorite part...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

Anecdotally, I am 5'2, and have lost about 30 lbs and am transitioning into maintenance. I also was set at 1200 cals because I put in that I wanted to lose quickly. I was constantly over cals, but still losing. I started reading the forums, understood more about TDEE and setting reasonable goals to preserve muscle mass. I upped my cals to 1500 (net, I always eat back my exercise cals) and kept losing about 1 lb/week. When I had lost about 15 lbs, I changed my goal to about 1700 net, about the same time I got a FitBit, and continued to lose weight predictably (just under half pound/week), and I eat back all my FitBit adjustments.

Can people do 1200 cals/day? I guess. Do you really want to? If you can eat more and lose weight, why wouldn't you want to? I never understood why some people wear the 1200 cals as a badge of honor.

• las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Info: Age, 25; Height, 6'0": SW:207; CW: 189; GW: 155.

For me, 1200 calories every day was not sustainable for very long. I was able to stick to it for maybe 2 months, but not after I began exercising. 1200 calories was impossible to maintain when working out every day. I was dissatisfied and tired so I decided to modify my calorie goals by listening to my body. Since then, I have developed a kind of adjustable plan so that I feel as satisfied as possible at the end of each day.

After some experimentation, I decided on a range of 1200-1800. It all depends on what my body is telling me. I wake up with the loose aim of consuming 1200 calories (more as a mind trick to prevent over eating). Some days, I feel ravenous. Rather than fight my body by trying to maintain that 1200 calorie limit (a recipe for disaster), I increase my calorie intake in one of two ways:

(1) I consume up to 1800 calories, but hold myself to stopping if I feel satisfied before that limit.
    (2) I aim for roughly 1200 NET calories by eating 80% of my workout calories ( since exercise equipment is always overestimating).

Simply put, to maintain weight loss I work out every day, I listen to my body and endeavor to eat only healthy, nutritious food. I may be doing it wrong, but I feel great! :wink:
  • Jmorales9
    Jmorales9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a question (which may be silly): If MFP recommends that you do 1200 calories, is that to eat 1200 (then workout) or is that 1200 net what you eat with your exercise?
    I've seen some mixed responses on here.
  • farfromthetree
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back. So that 1200 calories is BEFORE exercise. If I burn 200 calories, I add that to the 1200. If you are in "weight loss" mode I would be careful how many exercise calories you eat back.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    start lifting heavy ***** and you won't need to go that low in calories lol

I don't see how exercise helps though.

If you have to eat X calories to lose Y amount of weight each week, and you exercise and eat it back, you're back to the same X calories. So why go through the discomfort of exercise on top of it just to end up where you started?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

If you have to eat X calories to lose Y amount of weight each week, and you exercise and eat it back, you're back to the same X calories. So why go through the discomfort of exercise on top of it just to end up where you started?

lol idk just ask all the heavy lifters on here who can lose weight on 1.8k-2.5k a day or recomp on 2.5-3.2k a day and you'll have your answer

that is actually a pretty wild question, you basically asked "why not just put in as little effort as possible"
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

To preserve lean muscle.
    To improve cardiovascular health.
    Because many people enjoy it.

Also MFP is designed to include your calorie deficit into your baseline. If you exercise and eat it back, you aren't back to zero deficit, you are back to the deficit that MFP set up for you to lose weight based on the stats you entered when you set up your profile...