I can't do it :(

Options
13»

Replies

• Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Screw your family. You aren't doing it for them. You do it for yourself. I struggle too with losing weight. I should lost about 50lbs. My body just doesn't let go and I bust my *kitten* at the gym. I love sweets. Its an issue but I try hard to control it.

I've been going to the gym 3/4 times a week since October. I lost 5lbs since January. OH WOW 1 POUND A MONTH! Which is actually the most amount of weight I lost ever. (Been on and off since I was 17). Let me tell you what I did differently.

A little background story, I've been dating a fitness nut for a year. He got me into protein shakes. I started drinking muscle milk in January.

In the morning I eat 2 eggs always mixed with some fresh spinach and a cup of coffee (milk, no sugar: if you take it with sugar ween yourself off it, buy packets to help)

Between breakfast and lunch I drink 1 scoop of muscle milk mixed with 8oz of water. It had 16 grams of protein and 150 calories. Not only does it help me keep full for a while, i end up eating less a day. For lunch I always have a piece of meat. And as much veggies as possible. Seasoned and spiced up. If I have carbs it is brown rice.

Sometime after lunch I go to the gym. Drink green tea. It gives me some energy. Helps curb that appetite. And after the gym. I'll drink another muscle milk shake. It helps with recovery. It keeps me full and sometimes I'm not even hungry for dinner. Or I'll eat a bowl of cereal with a scoop of chia seeds and a scoop of flax. I loved the ancient grain cheerios and the protein cheerios are also amazing but it has 17 grams if sugar....

The weight loss is slow. But that's not really a bad thing. It will be easier to keep off

The awesome thing about the muscle milk is that it curbs my sweet tooth. With chocolate, German chocolate cake, cookies and creme, get something rich that won't make you want cake later.

Dont look at it as losing 130lbs. Look at small healthy things you can do that can help you in the long run.

As for the gym, CARDIO AND WEIGHTS! cardio doesn't have to be anything crazy. You just need to get your heart rate up. Walk on an incline for 30 minutes. Start slow and build your way up. Also building muscle will speed up your metabolism.

If I can do it, you can do it. Let's do it together!
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The first step is just doing it. The second step is to keep doing it. The third step is to never stop doing it.

You can get into it gradually. If you try and change everything all at once, you're likely to have a difficult time adapting to the change. Instead, take a few weeks to implement some lifestyle changes. Take a walk after dinner. Eat more veggies. Cut down your portions. After you feel like you've got that down, try using this site more intensively, using your food diary and trying to start a workout regiment.

A lot of it is attitude. I don't mean to sound mean about this and I realize that simply telling you to change your attitude isn't going to make you change your attitude. But if you try and see things more positively, things will go better.

It's a lot a matter of perspective. I used to get down about my weight a lot too. I would work out and be diligent with my diet and at the end of the week, I'll have lost less than a pound. If you view it like that, like all this work and that's all I have to show for it, then you're going to be down about it. Rather, something people told me that made me feel much better about it was: "You didn't gain it all in a day. Don't expect to lose it all in a day, either." That really put everything more in perspective for me, personally. I had to realize that going on a weekly basis, the change is going to be very gradual, and there's not going to be any instant gratification. However, it's a matter of working for a period and then looking back. It's a really reflective process.

Last week, I only lost .2 kg, and I was pretty down about it. But there were two things I had to remind myself of to keep myself going. First was the fact that in the previous 2 weeks, I had lost 3 kg. So even if I hadn't lost a lot -that- week, I'd still lost something, and that's something I should have been proud of. The other thing I had to keep in mind is that it's an ongoing process. Just because I'd only lost .2 kg -that- week didn't mean I was never going to lose anymore. In fact, I've lost almost another whole kilo from there. But I had to stick with it. I couldn't quit. If I had quit, I could easily have gone right back where I was. The moral here is that even if you only lose a little, or hell, even if you -gain-, slightly, quitting won't lose you any weight. Again, it's a matter of sticking with it. If you keep at your plan, no matter what the number on the scale, always think, whenever you have a tough workout or eat a less than satisfying meal, think to yourself, "I'm doing this for my health." Even if you don't get instant payoff, in the long-term, you definitely will if you're sticking with it.

One of the things that's really helped me on this site is the forums and friending people. Having people who are in the same boat as you builds a sense of comradely which can motivate you to continue. And hearing people who have been there and improved their lives can inspire you to want better for yourself. I see you have a number of posts, so you're most likely not a stranger, here. Use these tools to their full potential.

I want to say that you -can- do it. There isn't a single person out there who is incapable of losing weight. It may be more difficult for some than for others, but it is possible for anybody and everybody. But you have to start. Starting is the hardest part, but once you get started, it gets much easier down the road.

Maybe try starting with small goals. Adding onto what I said above about making small changes. So, tell yourself, I'm going to do something active today. Don't even think tomorrow and the next day and so on. Just say to yourself that you'll do it today. Then when you're finished, promise yourself you'll do the same tomorrow. End your day with that same promise.

I know I kinda went all over the place with this post. But to recap:
    Make small changes
    Set small goals
    Try to change your attitude
    Try and see it a different way
    Use this site as a resource
    Make and keep promises to yourself
    Stick with it
    Don't stop for any minor setbacks
    Just do it

You CAN do it! Best of luck! I hope to see you giving it your best effort very soon!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    <- older than you
    <- failed more often
    <- as much to lose
    <- done it
    <- got a lot of help. I got a referral from my doctor.
    <- made one small change at a time

Two things to do with your family. Set boundaries and tell them to get out of your business. Then when you are ready to make some changes, do it for yourself. Privately.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is this program available where you live?

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Atkins...Atkins....Atkins
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You CAN do it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    ^Good place to start.

Don't listen to what others have to say about your diet, because guess what, everyone has an opinion. You do you, let them do them.

Read this link, then read it again, and again. Think of this as a learning process, have fun with it. Don't make it a chore. I love reading MFP and have learned so much by spending time on here, there is no better place to start then reading this link

Here is another great link: I know it seems like a lot of reading, but it will be worth it!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    One of the most challenging ways to approach weight loss, in terms of long term success, is to hate the process. If you're hating the process and feeling discouraged, try to find changes you don't hate and that you can enjoy. Build slowly on small successes.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Your mind is limiting your body. You can get healthy if you convince your mind that this is the right thing. It won't be easy. Sometimes it'll just plain suck. You'll get hungry, cranky, sweaty, and sore, but that's ok. Every little change is a step in the right direction. Take it day by day. Start every morning being positive about this experience, "today, I will eat healthy, today I will take a walk, today I will drink water instead of soda." It doesn't have to be a huge change every day.
  • AnneLSam
    AnneLSam Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not a frequent contributor but when I am feeling the need for motivation I spend some time on here reading people's big and little success stories. It really, really helps me to get myself headed back in the right direction. I have a lot to lose as well but I am working on ten pound goals one at a time. I reached the first one and am working on another. Even if it takes a year I am determined to get to a healthy weight and MFP is one of the things I use to help me succeed. You really can do it!
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Saying you can't do it is a self fulfilling prophecy.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    Saying you can't do it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

100% true
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have to count every carb that goes in my mouth because I am a diabetic. It got easier as time goes on. I've been on my journey since December and I've lost at least 51 pounds. The longer I've been trying the less hungry I get. People say when you change your behavior after a week it becomes habit. I'm setting small goals for myself so I don't get overwhelmed because I have over 200 pounds to lose. It would be depressing if I looked at the whole picture. Don't listen to negativity from people. Just focus on yourself. :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I tried for like 7 years and the scale kept creeping up.... and then something clicked. For me, it was making a definitive decision to do this thing- and do it right. No more "I'm eating only raw foods" no more "i'm getting up at 4 am to work out for two hours before work".... i decided to do something reasonable, sustainable, and honest. I counted calories, I kept tabs on my exercise, and I made it balance out. When the scale started to go down, i felt rewarded. I kept that pattern going. If I was invited out for pizza, I planned in advance- how much pizza was I going to eat? How many calories over my goal was that? How far do i need to run/walk to make it balance out? ...that's what I did. And it worked like a charm and in about 5 months I lost 30 lbs that I was (at one point) convinced I would never lose.

You can do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is king. Your body can't keep the fat if you eat at a deficit. Cravings can be tough, but only caving will make it difficult to lose weight. People can be stupid, and carbs do not make you fat, too many calories make you fat. Punch them in the face to get out some frustration!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Every single time you say "I can't," say "I won't" instead, and see how your attitude changes.

You can't lose weight? No, you won't lose weight.
    You can't stop yourself from eating over your calorie goals? No, you won't stop yourself from eating over your calorie goals.

The only person standing in your way is you, period.
  • fiona444
    fiona444 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a bread monster I absolutely love it! But it's no good for me and I've discovered that I actually enjoy eating other things instead. I'm trying to re-train my mind to eat more good fat and cut the carbs down. Do it for yourself and don't let your families unhelpful comments put you off. Take care of yourself and don't go on a diet just change some old habits. That's what I'm attempting to do lol
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Since I started my new lifestyle earlier this year, there have been many many times I got discouraged and was ready to throw in the towel, but I continued to log every single day, and move a little more each month.

I am a carbaholic too :) One interesting thing I learned was if you only change your habits by 100 calories a day (one slice of bread).... That alone will give you about a pound loss per month.... Or 12 pounds by the end of the year. But just think, saving 250 calories a day will equal around 2 pounds per month or. 24 pounds a year..... 500 will give you a magical 1 pound per week..., 52 pounds in a year. Start small. I did and I know you can too <3