Revamped my idea of a good routine! Crique me please :)

Options
MFD7576
MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
Hey guys! *Waves*

I was that guy askin for help yesterday: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10182403/someone-review-my-weekly-gym-routine/p1

So I did some thinkin and I had an idea...

The general consensuses is that maybe I should lose weight before I build muscle, not do them at the same time equally.

So here my proposal, I do Couch to 5k M W F rather than Push Pull Legs. My girlfriend and I are there for about an hour so I have a half hour left over waiting for her to finish up. This is where I could throw in a couple reps on general lifting or pulling. That way I can use C25k to shed the pounds, and the weight training to quench my thirst to lifting big things and putting them down *lunk alert*

What do you guys think? Any ideas for what is moderate intensity to do while I am waiting? Is this a bad idea too? lol

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Depends on your nutrition. One of the biggest factors in either losing weight or building (bulking) is more in your approach to calories in than anything else. Though lifting while eating at a deficit is helpful in limiting the amount of muscle lost.

I've done Stronglifts and now NROLFW while on a deficit, lifting 3 days a week. During NROLFS, I have also made it through the couch to 5k program and now jog 3 non-llifting days a week. You can figure out your routine based on your goals. Just make sure your nutrition follows suit in order to each said goals.
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Well the nutrition part is kind of assumed, and I don't mean that is a snobby way. I'm doing my best to stay under goal in all categories unless of course I needs to meet or exceed. I know everyone's journey is different, I just want some advice at what challenges I might face. No one likes surprises
  • millej49
    millej49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I want to begin by stating that the majority of the advice is hyperbole, or based on credible sources that I forgot to write down when i first saw them.

I'd definitely say that losing weight before building muscle is a good idea, because to build you have to have a calorie surplus. And since you can't tell your body to ONLY make muscle with the surplus you'll end up having more fat to cut in the long run.

As far as cardio, a friend of mine recently started 3-4 days a week of running on the treadmill (30 min), and he has dropped around 2% BF so far (don't know how long it's taken though). I've seen a couple places saying that low intensity cardio would be better than high intensity because you'll burn more fat than carbs, but I don't have any science to back that up, so grain of salt.

Now...weight lifting (Tim Allen grunt here)...you definitely still want to lift. There is a difference between lifting and bulking...Without going into too much anatomy you have different types of muscle fibers, some are bigger some are smaller. The smaller ones generally are better at slow endurance motions, and will help with your running, but will also not consume a lot of calories because they are trying to expand quickly.

A good rep/set range for lifting while cutting that I use is 12 reps/3 sets.

Hope this helps, and if you notice anything I said that is specifically wrong, please tell me. I'm no expert, and I can only learn if I know what I don't know.
  • MFD7576
    Options
    millej49 wrote: »
    I want to begin by stating that the majority of the advice is hyperbole, or based on credible sources that I forgot to write down when i first saw them.

I'd definitely say that losing weight before building muscle is a good idea, because to build you have to have a calorie surplus. And since you can't tell your body to ONLY make muscle with the surplus you'll end up having more fat to cut in the long run.

As far as cardio, a friend of mine recently started 3-4 days a week of running on the treadmill (30 min), and he has dropped around 2% BF so far (don't know how long it's taken though). I've seen a couple places saying that low intensity cardio would be better than high intensity because you'll burn more fat than carbs, but I don't have any science to back that up, so grain of salt.

Now...weight lifting (Tim Allen grunt here)...you definitely still want to lift. There is a difference between lifting and bulking...Without going into too much anatomy you have different types of muscle fibers, some are bigger some are smaller. The smaller ones generally are better at slow endurance motions, and will help with your running, but will also not consume a lot of calories because they are trying to expand quickly.

A good rep/set range for lifting while cutting that I use is 12 reps/3 sets.

Hope this helps, and if you notice anything I said that is specifically wrong, please tell me. I'm no expert, and I can only learn if I know what I don't know.

Awesome stuff man, Ill be keeping this in mind all the way, What you say makes absolute sense, Im excited to get it all going in practice now.

More input greatly appreciated!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    This is where I could throw in a couple reps on general lifting or pulling...and the weight training to quench my thirst to lifting big things and putting them down *lunk alert*

What do you guys think? Any ideas for what is moderate intensity to do while I am waiting? Is this a bad idea too? lol

I'll defer to the experts, but for the general lifting I would focus on the major compound lifts (Squat, Press, Row and Deadlift). Start a modified full body progressive beginner's routine. If you start light this will give you time to get your form right.

• millej49
    millej49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OP if you want you can add me so you can ask any questions that arise. I'll constantly repeat I'm no expert but been doing this a while, and read a lot of studies and stuff to make sure I'm up to date. Also, exactly what loulamb said, that bloke is spot on!
  • MFD7576
    Options
    Any last minute input? Still interested
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Terrible idea. Strength training focus should not be religated until after losing weight. At the bare minimum, 2x week full body with compound movements. 3 would be better. Supplement with cardio as desired.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Depends on your nutrition. One of the biggest factors in either losing weight or building (bulking) is more in your approach to calories in than anything else. Though lifting while eating at a deficit is helpful in limiting the amount of muscle lost.

I've done Stronglifts and now NROLFW while on a deficit, lifting 3 days a week. During NROLFS, I have also made it through the couch to 5k program and now jog 3 non-llifting days a week. You can figure out your routine based on your goals. Just make sure your nutrition follows suit in order to each said goals.

Did you have any problems progressing with the programs on a deficit?
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    About the only thing that I can think of that would be worse than running on a treadmill at the gym would be walking on a treadmill at the gym. Good luck with that.

C25K won't do anything to help you shed pounds. Not a damn thing. Any calories that you burn (and it won't be many) you will earn back on your couch that night or during your "reward snack". Do you know anyone training for their first marathon? Look at their belly.

That being said, as @rybo says above, 2 or 3 times a week full body compound lifts. You can squeeze that into a half hour.

At the bare bare minimum, do a set of pushups and deadlifts after your treadmill walks. If you can do 30 pushups with good form, then you should do bench presses. If you can't, be prepared to be amazed at how quickly you'll get there. Add in lat pulldowns or pullups/chin-ups, and you've basically hit every muscle. And if you can't bench 225 pounds, you have no business doing a push/pull/legs split.

Starting Strength or Stronglifts 3x/week would be a great alternative to C25K, but they would take-up all of your allotted gym time.

Happy Hunting!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    About the only thing that I can think of that would be worse than running on a treadmill at the gym would be walking on a treadmill at the gym. Good luck with that.

C25K won't do anything to help you shed pounds. Not a damn thing. Any calories that you burn (and it won't be many) you will earn back on your couch that night or during your "reward snack". Do you know anyone training for their first marathon? Look at their belly.

Happy Hunting!

Where exactly did he say he was going to eat a reward snack on the couch?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The general consensuses is that maybe I should lose weight before I build muscle

Awful idea frankly.
    The main benefit of strength/weight training in a deficit is to preserve your existing muscle mass. Far easier to maintain what you have than risk losing it and have to rebuild.

As a young male you are well placed to at least maintain your muscle mass - if your training is good, deficit is low (slow rate of weight loss), adequate protein and you haven't many training years under your belt there's a reasonable chance of adding muscle.

Assuming you are new to weights I would recommend 3 x week, full body, focussed on the main compound lifts. (Plenty of well known programs about.)

Cardio to taste and to progress towards your fitness goals NOT to create an excessive deficit. Fuel your exercise.
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Happy Hunting!

Those were my words not his. Do you think people lose weight training for an athletic event? The goals are in conflict.
  • Azexas
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Happy Hunting!

Those were my words not his. Do you think people lose weight training for an athletic event? The goals are in conflict.

There is nothing in either op about him eating reward snacks. That's where I'm confused with your statement.
  • MFD7576
    Options
    On top of that, Ive never heard of any credible source that says a threadmill wont help you lose weight. Its not about the calories burned as much its about your heart rate being in the optimal range for weight burn. You can do anything for half hour or an hour a day with your heart at above 120 (as opposed to 70 resting) and you will burn fat. Give me peer reviewed and credible resources to back your claim and Ill take you seriously @kozykondition1
  • Azexas
    Options
    On top of that, Ive never heard of any credible source that says a threadmill wont help you lose weight. Its not about the calories burned as much its about your heart rate being in the optimal range for weight burn. You can do anything for half hour or an hour a day with your heart at above 120 (as opposed to 70 resting) and you will burn fat. Give me peer reviewed and credible resources to back your claim and Ill take you seriously @kozykondition1

Also- as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight regardless if you exercise or not.
  • MFD7576
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Deleted. Misunderstood sij.
  • MFD7576
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The general consensuses is that maybe I should lose weight before I build muscle

Awful idea frankly.
    The main benefit of strength/weight training in a deficit is to preserve your existing muscle mass. Far easier to maintain what you have than risk losing it and have to rebuild.

As a young male you are well placed to at least maintain your muscle mass - if your training is good, deficit is low (slow rate of weight loss), adequate protein and you haven't many training years under your belt there's a reasonable chance of adding muscle.

Assuming you are new to weights I would recommend 3 x week, full body, focussed on the main compound lifts. (Plenty of well known programs about.)

Cardio to taste and to progress towards your fitness goals NOT to create an excessive deficit. Fuel your exercise.

This kinda goes against good advice given in my past thread. I was told Ill only get noobie gains but they will hault after a little while. Biggest goal is to get ride of a gut at the moment. I don't know what to do :/ Rather conflicting to me really :/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Awful idea frankly.

I weight 270 and Im 36% body fat. Im considered obese for all intents and purposes. I don't plan to slim down to nothing, but I think it would help me in the long run if I lose the weight now. There are some fat strong people out there and I don't want to be one of those lol. Maybe I am missing your credibility in the area though. If I am then I am sorry.

Asking for advice and then questioning my credibility is pretty rude young fella. I guess you are seeking confirmation and not advice.

I was strong, fat and fit for best part of 20 years before losing my blubber, while maintaining my muscle mass, increasing strength and hitting new fitness peaks.

You seem to have missed that I said maintain a calorie deficit BTW.

Good luck on your journey.
  • MFD7576
    Options

Awful idea frankly.

I weight 270 and Im 36% body fat. Im considered obese for all intents and purposes. I don't plan to slim down to nothing, but I think it would help me in the long run if I lose the weight now. There are some fat strong people out there and I don't want to be one of those lol. Maybe I am missing your credibility in the area though. If I am then I am sorry.

Asking for advice and then questioning my credibility is pretty rude young fella. I guess you are seeking confirmation and not advice.

I was strong, fat and fit for best part of 20 years before losing my blubber, while maintaining my muscle mass, increasing strength and hitting new fitness peaks.

You seem to have missed that I said maintain a calorie deficit BTW.

Good luck on your journey.

I also deleted that comment because I did not mean the intention of it. I understand and am listening to what you say. You made sense, it all just isn't clicking for me yet.