I'm very weak. What can I do at home to be stronger?

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
I have severe anxiety thus can't go to a gym. I have pretty bad weakness in my shoulders, arms, legs...surprisingly weak. I'm overweight (5'2/190) and just starting to move after pretty bad eating/not moving/depression. So, I feel good at moving, happier and would like to feel a bit stronger.

I don't have gym set up or weights but heard someone talking about kettlebells? Are these something useful for at home? What else might be good to have at home? Any youtube or dvds of something that might help? Or a plan of what to do each day and to increase etc? Any help appreciated!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I now walk at least a 1/4 mile daily and it has helped gain better mobility and I have lost some weight. I even did it at night in 14F degree temps in the winter. Just moving a little will lead to more moving all day I found. Best of luck. An old person many years ago that they do not bury people that still wiggle daily so I try to remember to wiggle some daily. :)
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A couple good bodyweight strength programs are You Are Your Own Gym, and Convict Conditioning. They are both books, and YAYOG has a nice phone app that helps you keep track of the strength progressions. You can do both programs with little or no equipment.

If you have a little bit of a budget, a suspension trainer, like the TRX, is a decent beginner strength program.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do kettlebells you need to master proper form to avoid injury. Google Pavel Tsatsouline for a start.
    Next you need someone to teach you proper form. I suggest you engage the services of someone with rkc certification. Otherwise do the at home version of strong curves.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Was also going to suggest bodyweight training, You Are Your Own Gym/Body By You (both by the same author, YAYOG is marketed towards men and BBY towards women) and Convict Conditioning. Walking won't make you stronger but a combination of bodyweight training and walking would be a great way to overall better fitness.
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i do fitness blender, millionaire hoy hiit, tone it up , blogilates by cassey ho on youtube :smiley:
  • Gretchenmaust
    Gretchenmaust Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We're about at the same point. I bought Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" DVDs and have been doing the 2-mile walk at least 5 times per week since January. The routine uses 2 lb weights for about 1/3 of the walk and has really made me feel stronger. The "walk" includes kicks, knee lifts, side steps and kick backs, so it isn't terribly boring. The 2-mile walk takes 30 minutes.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Type in "Woman's calisthenics routine" into You Tube and follow a routine you like in your house. Pause the video etc for rests and to work on technique. Good luck.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you are not seeing a therapist yet for your anxiety go make an appointment. With the recent advancements in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy you could get that anxiety under control within six month or a year depending on the severity. Even if you don't think you are ready for that, find a therapist that you can call when you are ready.

If you are as weak as you imply, forget the hardcore stuff and focus on light weights first. Go to Target or Walmart and pick up a few pairs of light dumbells (2,5,10 pounders, etc). With your anxiety it is best to do something you can handle.

Go to YouTube and search for "beginner weight lifting". Watch at least 5 videos until you get a good idea of what you need to do. Buy a book on weight training for beginners. Here's a good example: http://amzn.com/B001GIJRPE

Be prepared to feel pain from the workouts. If you do a workout and don't feel pain in the next 48 hours you may be taking it too easy. If that's okay with you just keep going at that pace. Don't fear the pain. It is actually a pain you can look forward to. Don't push yourself too hard. Some pain is good but if you are in too much to do anything that could slow your progress.

Lastly and most important, don't worry about failing. Try to be consistent in your approach but if you miss a workout it is not the end. Just keep going. Everyone from novice to pro experience failure. The ones who do well are those that just keep doing it.

At your level, the time commitment should not be an issue. Even 20 minutes will be enough to see progress. The frequency of your workout will vary depending on who you ask. Shoot for 3 times per week for weight training with 5 days per week for cardio. If that sound like too much start smaller and work up to that schedule - it gets easier over time.

Good luck
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I started off very weak as well thanks to illness/medical conditions. Exercise should help some with your anxiety issues, enough that you could seek out some therapy. I second the recommendation for cognitive behavioral therapy.

If you don't feel up to walking outside, you could do Leslie Sansone stuff on You Tube.

For strength training, since you are starting from scratch, I'd start with body weight stuff before starting with weights. In addition to those recommended above, there's a Beginner's Bodyweight program from Nerd Fitness that will help. That one is available on their website.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Seeking help for your anxiety would be a first step. But you asked about strength training so here's some suggestions. I'm not sure how weak you are so even weights might seem overwhelming at first. A couple of questions...Can you get up off the floor from a sitting position easily without assistance? Can you sweep and mop floor without feeling exhausted and needing a break? If you can't then you might start with those skills first then move on to weights. Getting off the floor: use a chair for support and both hands, then move to one hand, then just pushing off the floor. Sweeping and mopping: increase the distance and length of time every day (Side benefit your house is cleaner). One piece of equipment would be a resistance band as you control the amount of pull. I started with standing on the middle of the band, then grabbing the handles and using my arms to pull the band up in different directions. As one gentleman said "walking" in whatever distance you can and increase that distance every week by even a small amount. Good luck to you and your welcome to add me to your friends if you want.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises. TRX. Pushups, planks on your knees and then with knees up. Yoga. Yes yoga. It will help build your strength and help with your anxiety.

Also, if you're not currently seeing a therapist do consider it if it's affordable. Seeing somebody in regards to my anxiety was a life changer. I have for the most part been "stable" for 2 years now and take meds just for maintenance. I say most part because I have had some setbacks recently but that's due to other life issues.

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Short and simple to answer your post question....Lift heavy objects throughout the day. Anything you can find, repetitively. Rest when needed. If that's too much, look into calisthenics.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I really like You Are Your Own Gym and 7 Minute workout apps. You could also get a stability ball and follow a half hour routine with it. It's more challenging than most people would assume.

ETA: I second the yoga suggestion. It also helps with flexibility and balance and that will carry over into your other exercising routines.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Thank for all the great suggestions! I am making a list and writing down all the advice . Even the housecleaning one. No, I'm pretty tired after hand scrubbing and mopping our floors-we have 4 kids who like to get rice krispies stuck to them (haha!)

Thanks for the suggestions of seeking help which I have. I've been on medication for 12 years, get CBT when I can, seen countless therapists. This increase in anxiety is related to weight gain, appearance changes (I still have social anxiety, some agoraphobia, generalized anxiety with panic attacks though which is pretty stable ) and it's been improving with exercise. Surprisingly! I feel so much better. I want to exercise because I feel great after! I wish I have had support for the last chunk of my life of trying to exercise for anxiety/depression. All the Drs say it but it takes practical help to actually start and MFP has been that support for me. And doing things within the confines of your disability(ies) (like not leaving house much, or whathaveyou). So grateful!
  • LiftAndBalance
    Options
    That sounds like you're already on a really good way!! :)
    Fitness Blender is another great resource and Nia Shanks also has a bodyweight only programme.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I started with resistance bands. They are fairly inexpensive and there are LOTS of videos on youtube with different exercises. They come in difference resistances so that you can start out light and then move up in tension. Check Amazon...they sell them individually or as a set.

I now use free weights but I still lift light...VERY light due to joint and hernia issues.
  • dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Get one of those pull up bars that go over the door way. Put it over the doorway to your bathroom. Every time nature calls, try to do some pull ups. when it comes to therapists, it's good to shop around. Find someone you really like and stick with them for a while. It's probably the best thing you can do for your health right now if your having severe anxiety issues. If you want to get stronger you will need to start doing some strength training. Pistol Squats and one handed push-ups will only take you so far. If you want to be a full on beast then you need to start a solid strength training program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. All these things take a lot of focus and dedication. Anxiety will only get in the way of that.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @bbontheb I have always admired Kathy Smith. I have used several of her dvds for years and always enjoyed them and appreciated her advice. She also has audio walking workouts that are fun. She may have something that will interest you.

http://www.kathysmith.com/
  • LiftAndBalance
    Options
    dbomb76 wrote: »
    Get one of those pull up bars that go over the door way. Put it over the doorway to your bathroom. Every time nature calls, try to do some pull ups. when it comes to therapists, it's good to shop around. Find someone you really like and stick with them for a while. It's probably the best thing you can do for your health right now if your having severe anxiety issues. If you want to get stronger you will need to start doing some strength training. Pistol Squats and one handed push-ups will only take you so far. If you want to be a full on beast then you need to start a solid strength training program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. All these things take a lot of focus and dedication. Anxiety will only get in the way of that.

Seriously? Pull-ups, pistol squats and one-handed push-ups for someone who describes themselves as very weak? I lift weights, currently doing one of Nia Shanks' programmes, and wouldn't consider myself weak anymore in most lifts but I still can't do a single one of these exercises. In addition, bodyweight training is much harder for someone who's overweight because more weight to lift.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    dbomb76 wrote: »

Did you read the OP?

If I stopped to do pullups on my way to the bathroom...I would pee my pants

Can those pushups be off the wall?

There is just response to pistol squats for a beginner that has weakness issues...chair squats might be a better place to start.