Grains and Carbs

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fair enough, on the other hand, you don't have to low carb to handle IR, either.

Indeed, but it's a viable approach and works better than energy restriction alone, as does intermittent calorie reduction. Obese men showed double the improvement in 4 weeks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    spirit7125 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I had been struggling with no weight loss for months, despite hitting it hard at the gym and tracking on MFP..until I cut out bread and most grain-based foods. I don't feel hungry ever, even though I usually eat a lower calorie intake than before and I am losing weight despite eating a higher percentage of fat. Most of my carbs now come from vegetables and berries. I feel less bloaty too...anyone else out there with similar stories? Oh, and I have lost 5# since starting this 3 weeks ago.

That sounds like my kind of deficit. When I was losing I cut back on refined grains, and added sugars. I guess I created a deficit, because I lost weight.
    And yes, I felt less bloaty too!

Sounds like you're eating "lower carb". Well done on the loss.
    And there's nothing wrong with doing it this way, if it's easier to comply, and you're more satiated, and you're losing weight more power to you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    congrats...you are filling up on fats and protein which keep you feeling fuller longer...most of us here do that anyway without going "low" carb.

I did low carb...I always felt empty and didn't have energy to even do Zumba...so not for me.
  • spirit7125
    spirit7125 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well I guess it's not really "low" carb, more like less than 30% of calories...thank you for replying
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fantastic how a caloric deficit works.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

yes, and how well it screws with our MBR
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well I guess it's not really "low" carb, more like less than 30% of calories...thank you for replying[/qu
    Hi all,
    I had been struggling with no weight loss for months, despite hitting it hard at the gym and tracking on MFP..until I cut out bread and most grain-based foods. I don't feel hungry ever, even though I usually eat a lower calorie intake than before and I am losing weight despite eating a higher percentage of fat. Most of my carbs now come from vegetables and berries. I feel less bloaty too...anyone else out there with similar stories? Oh, and I have lost 5# since starting this 3 weeks ago.

i eat low carb, and i definitely do not get the cravings I used to get. I am more calm. Furthermore, giving up carbs settled my digestion (no bloating, gas). I can eat tons of raw veggies, and i am perfectly fine.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Fair enough, on the other hand, you don't have to low carb to handle IR, either.

Indeed, but it's a viable approach and works better than energy restriction alone, as does intermittent calorie reduction. Obese men showed double the improvement in 4 weeks.

Too bad your link doesn't support your assertion, which of course isn't surprising.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Eating between 150 and 200 gr of Carbs every day and lost my 92 pounds just fine!

Losing weight is all about your deficit. That's all...maybe to simple for some...and very disappointing that there isn't any magic to it.
    I know, but that's life.
  • dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    eliskipp wrote: »
    these foods (even fat) tend to be lower-calorie per oz. than the carbs you're going to eat, which makes it easier to maintain a calorie deficit.
    Whaaaa?

1 oz of butter is like 200 kcals
    1 oz of rice or potato is like 32 kcals
    even a slice of bread is only 80
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

yes, and how well it screws with our MBR

Master Boot Record? Malaysian Book of Records?

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you who responded with support instead of sarcasm. I agree that Web MD isn't the best resource...it was just a reference to the original work. I will start looking at original research on the topic and post anything good I find. Thank you again!
    I am so sorry people don't know how to respond non-aggressively but you definitely aren't alone in your approach. Thanks for sharing -- it was a pleasure to read your post. :smile:
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Spirit - congrats on your weight loss. I've been back to low carb for the past 7 weeks or so and lost 20+ pounds (219->197, at 6 feet). I agree that getting rid of bread and other starches and sugars will help.

I disagree with a lot of the 'pro-grain' and 'anti-low-carb' responses here. For many people, cutting out carbs is not simply a matter of being in a 'calorie-deficit' or even that fat 'makes you feel full'. I really think that by reducing grains and carbs, you better control your insulin and your metabolism starts to burn body fat and prevents additional fatty acids from being stored in your fat cells - replacing those carbs with fat accelerates this process.

So when people say 'you are losing body fat because you are in a calorie-deficit', they are confusing cause and effect. I would phrase it as 'you are in a calorie-deficit because your metabolism is burning body fat'. Reducing the carbs is causing your metabolism to burn body fat and as a result you are less hungry and have more energy (which results in the calorie-deficit).

Good luck.
  • Acg67
    Options
    TomfromNY wrote: »
    Spirit - congrats on your weight loss. I've been back to low carb for the past 7 weeks or so and lost 20+ pounds (219->197, at 6 feet). I agree that getting rid of bread and other starches and sugars will help.

I disagree with a lot of the 'pro-grain' and 'anti-low-carb' responses here. For many people, cutting out carbs is not simply a matter of being in a 'calorie-deficit' or even that fat 'makes you feel full'. I really think that by reducing grains and carbs, you better control your insulin and your metabolism starts to burn body fat and prevents additional fatty acids from being stored in your fat cells - replacing those carbs with fat accelerates this process.

So when people say 'you are losing body fat because you are in a calorie-deficit', they are confusing cause and effect. I would phrase it as 'you are in a calorie-deficit because your metabolism is burning body fat'. Reducing the carbs is causing your metabolism to burn body fat and as a result you are less hungry and have more energy (which results in the calorie-deficit).

Good luck.

Despite what you may think, that is not correct. Holding calories and protein constant, fat loss isn't significantly different between low carb or higher carb diets, at least in ward trials, save for kekwick and one of the rabst studies and one other that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Where on earth did you come up with the logic for the 3rd paragraph?
  • TomfromNY
    edited June 2015
    Options

Despite what you may think, that is not correct. Holding calories and protein constant, fat loss isn't significantly different between low carb or higher carb diets, at least in ward trials, save for kekwick and one of the rabst studies and one other that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Who said to hold calories constant? I'm saying that for many people who restrict carbs, they will burn more body fat which will result in a calorie deficit. For many people who are sensitive to carbs, eating a lot of carbs will cause them to store body fat, which will result in either more eating or decreased energy expenditure (calorie surplus).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Good luck.

How does reducing carbs cause your metabolism to burn more fat and how does that result in more energy? I am confused.
  • TomfromNY
    Options
    Insulin causes fat to be stored rather than used for energy. Starches raise your insulin. Here are a couple of quotes from wikipedia on the effects of insulin:

Increased lipid synthesis – insulin forces fat cells to take in blood lipids, which are converted to triglycerides; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
    Increased esterification of fatty acids – forces adipose tissue to make fats (i.e., triglycerides) from fatty acid esters; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
    Decreased proteolysis – decreasing the breakdown of protein
    Decreased lipolysis – forces reduction in conversion of fat cell lipid stores into blood fatty acids; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Living lean, I understand that fat doesn't make you fat, but at 9 calories per gram compared to 4 for carbs and protein, it can add up quickly if you're not tracking it, which I am tracking...everything, but I know it can be easy to miss items, thank you ruggedshutter :-). I do not weigh my foods, but do use measuring cups/spoons and go by the standard "deck of cards=4oz" guideline for proteins. You are on the money about the bloating as well, so thank you.

My request was more referring to the fact that I am not hungry, compared to how I felt before, when I was eating a higher percentage of carbs and felt ravenous at mealtimes. I am thinking that the increase in fat, which slows digestion and therefore increases satiety for longer periods of time, may have a lot to do with it. That, coupled with the reduction in carbs probably helping to balance out my insulin/blood sugar levels. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. There is some research to show that it's not just a numbers game of calories in and out http://www.webmd.com/diet/20120626/all-calories-not-created-equal-study-suggests

Thank you!

Issue is, the article is oversimplifying things. CI can impact CO - but CICO that does not negate the fact that it is a numbers game in its simplest form.

There are a myriad of things that impact calories out based on what you eat (and the macro mix you have). Some people do better on lower carb as they have some degree of insulin resistance which impacts TDEE. Some people do better on higher carbs as it increases their energy/improves their workouts. Some people do better on lower carbs as it helps with adherence to a calorie deficit (and vice versa). Also there is TEF to consider as well as higher fiber carbs v lower fiber carbs.

Also, when you reduce carbs, you lose water weight. That, and the fact you have less food in your stomach is why people see a big drop in weight when they start dieting, as carbs are usually decreased.

If you have found a way to be in a deficit and be more satiated and have good energy as well as have better adherence - then keep doing what you are doing. At the end of the day, the most successful way of eating will be the one you can stick to.
  • Acg67
    edited June 2015
    Options

Who said to hold calories constant? I'm saying that for many people who restrict carbs, they will burn more body fat which will result in a calorie deficit. For many people who are sensitive to carbs, eating a lot of carbs will cause them to store body fat, which will result in either more eating or decreased energy expenditure (calorie surplus).

If you don't hold calories constant, doesn't that confound things?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Insulin causes fat to be stored rather than used for energy. Starches raise your insulin. Here are a couple of quotes from wikipedia on the effects of insulin:

Increased lipid synthesis – insulin forces fat cells to take in blood lipids, which are converted to triglycerides; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
    Increased esterification of fatty acids – forces adipose tissue to make fats (i.e., triglycerides) from fatty acid esters; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
    Decreased proteolysis – decreasing the breakdown of protein
    Decreased lipolysis – forces reduction in conversion of fat cell lipid stores into blood fatty acids; lack of insulin causes the reverse.

You do know protein is highly insulinogenic, right?

So if you have any circulating insulin, you cannot burn any fat? It can only be stored? Hmmmm