Strength training for weight loss

Options

Replies

• Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    I noticed from a lot of the message boards people only seem to do cardio and control their calorie intake/diet. How come a lot of people don't strength train as well as cardio?

What do you guys do when you exercise? what is your routine? I'm always looking for tips as well as sharing what I do.

I just do cardio. Elliptical once in the morning and then at night. I don't weight train because I hate it, maybe when I get down to 135 I'll start focusing more on that....but knowing myself i won't maintain it so why bother.

funny i love the weight training part. i hate the cardio. haha
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I noticed from a lot of the message boards people only seem to do cardio and control their calorie intake/diet. How come a lot of people don't strength train as well as cardio?

What do you guys do when you exercise? what is your routine? I'm always looking for tips as well as sharing what I do.

I just do cardio. Elliptical once in the morning and then at night. I don't weight train because I hate it, maybe when I get down to 135 I'll start focusing more on that....but knowing myself i won't maintain it so why bother.

If you notice, I said cardio bites, its all about the lifting, but I do both as well....and STILL the cardio bites! I just enjoy the lifting more :smiley:
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

If you notice, I said cardio bites, its all about the lifting, but I do both as well....and STILL the cardio bites! I just enjoy the lifting more :smiley:

I think i have quite a bit of muscle under this layer of fat. i know girls that are my weight and they look a lot heavier than me... i wonder what i'd look like if i burned all this fat off haha. I can do 190 on the leg press and I'm going to try and increase the weight. i cant remember what this machine is called but you sit and push your legs outward. i did 230 on that.

never going to find out how my muscles look if i dont do cardio :(
    i used to have so much more stamina. i'd do cardio for an hour on the arc trainer and then go biking with friends or play some sports. but now im struggling with 20 minutes on the arch trainer. But ill get there :)
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

What do you hate about Cardio?
    I just feel like it's a waste of time for me and painful, I used to go to the gym to lift idk if I did too much too fast but it wasn't fun, you have to count do reps ehhh. With cardio, breathe, I put on my music and just forget about it
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    cardio makes you hungry and you either burn the extra food or store it in fat. strength training makes you hungry and builds muscle
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I never lifted weights for weight loss... I lifted weights to maintain my muscle mass and get newbie gaines during loosing weight.. weight training is another aspect in fitness and training for body composition but no weight loss IMHO..

I used to do loads of cardio for high calorie burns for the weight loss... been recomping since Feb so my cardio has been decreased to one time a week (but I do run every morning but only because I get my daily energy kick in after running.. or I would be a slug through out the day)..

My main goal is to a healthy weight/healthy body fat % (i have a scale that measures it) I also want to be fit. i think i'd be happier if i was fit than if i was just skinny with no muscle.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options

What do you hate about Cardio?
    I just feel like it's a waste of time for me and painful, I used to go to the gym to lift idk if I did too much too fast but it wasn't fun, you have to count do reps ehhh. With cardio, breathe, I put on my music and just forget about it

i like to be able to push my body and i love the soreness feeling. when i'm sore i know i did something right. with cardio i cant seem to get my mind off the time, i gasp for air tho i'm getting better. I should be more clear tho. i LOVE biking OUTSIDE. i should avoid the cardio at the gym and live on a bike haha. I'm thinking of getting a fitbit and i'll be able to measure my heart rate outside of the gym. this way i know im getting a good work out.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do zero cardio and have had great results from weight lifting alone. Dropped body fat from 31% to 19% in the space of 6 months last year through weight lifting and diet alone. This year I've packed on 15lbs during a bulk cycle and am just starting back into a cut to see how much muscle I've built. For me, cardio is about cardiovascular health and mine probably sucks but I can lift heavy *kitten* weights and my body shape has changed dramatically. Now pass me those dumbbells...and not the pink ones either ;) Oh and I am currently following the Power Muscle Burn progaramme doing a 5 day split and changing it up to the PHUL program next week to change things up a bit. Whatever you decide to do though, it's all about consistency!
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    TomfromNY wrote: »
    cardio makes you hungry and you either burn the extra food or store it in fat. strength training makes you hungry and builds muscle

i had this problem of always being hungry. now i take a vitamin and i also started drinking muscle milk as a snack (1scoop,150 cal) it helps my chocolate cravings, it satisfies my hunger. and helps me eat less later. I struggled to drop pounds and once i started drinking muscle milk i finally lost 5 lbs.
  • Cocoa1020
    edited June 2015
    Options
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    Personally, I do zero cardio and have had great results from weight lifting alone. Dropped body fat from 31% to 19% in the space of 6 months last year through weight lifting and diet alone. This year I've packed on 15lbs during a bulk cycle and am just starting back into a cut to see how much muscle I've built. For me, cardio is about cardiovascular health and mine probably sucks but I can lift heavy *kitten* weights and my body shape has changed dramatically. Now pass me those dumbbells...and not the pink ones either ;) Oh and I am currently following the Power Muscle Burn progaramme doing a 5 day split and changing it up to the PHUL program next week to change things up a bit. Whatever you decide to do though, it's all about consistency!

thats great! to each their own right?
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Exactly! What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone plus it totally depends what sort of look you're wanting to achieve. For me, it's all about looking like I lift and I love the whole process. Lift big, eat big, that's my motto. And maintaining at 2500cals can't be all bad right?!? :)
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Cardio burns a lot of calories.

Not the way I do it.

how do you do your cardio?
  • Cocoa1020
    Options

Exactly! What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone plus it totally depends what sort of look you're wanting to achieve. For me, it's all about looking like I lift and I love the whole process. Lift big, eat big, that's my motto. And maintaining at 2500cals can't be all bad right?!? :)

I would love to eat 2500 cal's to maintain hahaha if i do that, ill be the size of a house :(
  • Cocoa1020
    Options

I would love to eat 2500 cal's to maintain hahaha if i do that, ill be the size of a house :(

also i could never create enough of a caloric deficit with just diet alone. I eat pretty healthy. there's nothing major i should cut out from my everyday diet. the cardio helps me burn those calories.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

also i could never create enough of a caloric deficit with just diet alone. I eat pretty healthy. there's nothing major i should cut out from my everyday diet. the cardio helps me burn those calories.

Why would you have to cut anything out to achieve a deficit? Just eat less of everything, weigh and log to be certain of your deficit and the weight loss will follow.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do both, strength at least 3 times a week. I don't track it, though. I'm following the 6 month plan in the new rules of lifting for women.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All forms of exercise have their benefits. I do mostly weight training and flexibility training and hiit a few days a week. But overall, i do each to complement the others.
  • jamileed
    jamileed Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do 20 mins of cardio & 5 mins stomach crunchs. Then 15 mins of strength training with 5 lb dumbbells. Then I stretch. I sweat so bad. I feel sore all day mostly in my legs.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My routine varies, but in the past I've used both strength training and cardio for weight loss. Currently, at the bare minimum, my goal is to hit the gym every other day. It doesn't matter if I do cardio or strength training, as long as I do something. Last month, I did no cardio, lifted every other day, ate at or above maintenance, and dropped 10 lbs and inches around my hips and waist [MFP recommended I recheck my stats because the loss was more than what was projected]. I was really surprised because as I stated before, I was eating above maintenance and doing no cardio with a sedentary lifestyle. Right now, I'm maintaining until I get my diet under control.

So, at the moment my routine is still just lifting every other day. I have been too lazy/sleepy to do cardio. I'm starting to dislike strength training as well, but I love the muscle definition I see..... :neutral:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My routine varies, but in the past I've used both strength training and cardio for weight loss. Currently, at the bare minimum, my goal is to hit the gym every other day. It doesn't matter if I do cardio or strength training, as long as I do something. Last month, I did no cardio, lifted every other day, ate at or above maintenance, and dropped 10 lbs and inches around my hips and waist [MFP recommended I recheck my stats because the loss was more than what was projected]. I was really surprised because as I stated before, I was eating above maintenance and doing no cardio with a sedentary lifestyle. Right now, I'm maintaining until I get my diet under control.

So, at the moment my routine is still just lifting every other day. I have been too lazy/sleepy to do cardio. I'm starting to dislike strength training as well, but I love the muscle definition I see..... :neutral:

You cant lose weight eating above maintenance (true maintenance levels). You can lose weight eating above the projected maintenance that MFP indicates as its just a basic calculator.

The mere definition of maintenance is the level of calories required to maintain. So if you lost, you were in a deficit.

Ex - MFP suggesr i maintain at 2800 calories but tracking has suggested i am at 3000 or a bit over. It just means the algorithms that MFP uses isnt an accurate number for me.