Strength training for weight loss

13»

Replies

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited June 2015
    psulemon wrote: »
    You cant lose weight eating above maintenance (true maintenance levels). You can lose weight eating above the projected maintenance that MFP indicates as its just a basic calculator.

The mere definition of maintenance is the level of calories required to maintain. So if you lost, you were in a deficit.

Ex - MFP suggesr i maintain at 2800 calories but tracking has suggested i am at 3000 or a bit over. It just means the algorithms that MFP uses isnt an accurate number for me.

3000 calories? I would love to have your stats. Well, that makes sense, but I just don't know how far I want to stray and test to see what my actual maintenance level is.

Yes, there are no special snowflakes, lol. In my mind since I was/am so out of shape, I just concluded that my body was burning a lot of calories after my [hard and horrible] strength training sessions. If my taste buds didn't prefer pizza and burgers, this weight loss thing would be so much easier.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    psulemon wrote: »
    You cant lose weight eating above maintenance (true maintenance levels). You can lose weight eating above the projected maintenance that MFP indicates as its just a basic calculator.

The mere definition of maintenance is the level of calories required to maintain. So if you lost, you were in a deficit.

Ex - MFP suggesr i maintain at 2800 calories but tracking has suggested i am at 3000 or a bit over. It just means the algorithms that MFP uses isnt an accurate number for me.

3000 calories? I would love to have your stats. Well, that makes sense, but I just don't know how far I want to stray and test to see what my actual maintenance level is.

Yes, there are no special snowflakes, lol. In my mind since I was/am so out of shape, I just concluded that my body was burning a lot of calories after my [hard and horrible] strength training sessions. If my taste buds didn't prefer pizza and burgers, this weight loss thing would be so much easier.

Male, 32yo, 5'11, 173lbs, desk job and i work out 6hrs a week (3 weight training, 1.5 - 2 hrs of hiit, 1 - 1.5 of yoga).

Also, its not hard to find your real maintenance calories. Just track intake and weight loss for 4 to 8 weeks. I eat 2500 a day, lose 1 lb per week, so the math is 2500 + (3500/7) = 3000.

• TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    I do both, but neither for weight loss. What I do is:
    - Eat less for weight loss
    - Strength train for preserving muscle and to be stronger for all the other stuff
    - Run for cardio-vascular health
    - Throw in cycling/hiking/ice-skating/swimming etc for family fun on weekends
    - And almost daily walks on the river bank, for my sanity :)

THIS to a tee.

My nutrition is what guides my weight loss. I strength train for (a) variety and (b) for building and preserving muscle. Run because...FUN and HEALTHY! Other to just enjoy life...and I walk to work everyday because it's the only alone time I get to listen to music/podcasts/my thoughts and not someone saying "Doll, where is the...I need you to...Can you..."

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    I hate cardio, but I do it. I have 2 3-4 mile runs per week and a long run on Saturdays. Other than that my workouts are lifting.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I probably do a third of the cardio I use to do and I weight train 3x more than I use to.... I wish I would have started my weight loss journey doing more weights than cardio... better late than never I guess...
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Cardio<weight training.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    I do weight training 4 times a week for an hour at the time. I do cardio for at least an hour 5 days a week.