Is Diet Coke actually Satan?

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    I've always had a suspicion that Diet Coke and diet beverages in general probably weren't that great for me.

But lately, a number of articles / studies are claiming it does all kind of crazy things to our internal chemistry and and even metabolism. It's slowly killing you) -- -- and just as associated with all the evils of obesity and poor diet.

But is it more ambiguous than that? Could it be it's just that people who drink Diet Coke are making decisions to consume more calories? Or are these artificial sweeteners really causing an insulin ambulance that makes you hungrier and slows your metabolism?

I'm interesting in cutting through a lot of the alarmist stuff that kids the news cycle. Sure, it may not be great for you -- but is this calorie-less beverage really affecting your bottom line and calories out if you're eating right and staying on track otherwise?

Not a huge fan of diet beverages anyway (I tend toward fruit juice and seltzer). But actually curious if these claims make any sense at all the folks here with their chops in nutrition and biology.

Unfortunate thread title because you won't get focus on your questions.

From my point of view it is certainly more in the ambiguous camp. All those epidemiological studies? It's just likely that it's weakly associated with people that make poor dietary choices more often than people that are more conscious of their diet.

Is it bad? Not in normal use, but can be in high excess. (As can seltzer and fruit juice - in high excess it's to much cals, etc)

There is some new evidence on possible gut flora interactions but I'm finding it very very tenuous and the articles read so far are full of "magical" thinking.

I love when you post exactly what I'm thinking when I can't find the words for it first thing in the morning.

Lately my diet drink of choice has been diet Dr. Pepper. Funny thing, though. I don't drink much at all a day. We've been buying the 20 ounce bottles and one has been lasting 4-5 days. We don't really drink diet sodas as a beverage, just as a little hit of something sweet. When I'm thirsty, I chug water.

LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper but it is harder to find the caffeine free stuff. Almost impossible to get caffeine free Diet Mountain Dew unless it is in the 2 liter, which is so much more than I would drink before it goes flat. (I am sensitive to caffeine so I have my one cup of coffee in the morning and no more unless I have a cup of tea)

Wait.

Caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper actually EXISTS?!?!?!?!?! That's like a mythical unicorn of happiness.

I've never even seen it.

The caffeine is one of the reasons I don't drink a lot of it, I have to watch how much of that stuff I get thanks to my migraines.

When I drink diet Canada Dry, I tend to have a bit more than 3-4 ounces. Sometimes quite a bit more.

Yep! It has gold outlines around the lettering/logo.

It pays to have worked in a grocery store for almost 16 years...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I've always had a suspicion that Diet Coke and diet beverages in general probably weren't that great for me.

But lately, a number of articles / studies are claiming it does all kind of crazy things to our internal chemistry and and even metabolism. It's slowly killing you) -- -- and just as associated with all the evils of obesity and poor diet.

But is it more ambiguous than that? Could it be it's just that people who drink Diet Coke are making decisions to consume more calories? Or are these artificial sweeteners really causing an insulin ambulance that makes you hungrier and slows your metabolism?

I'm interesting in cutting through a lot of the alarmist stuff that kids the news cycle. Sure, it may not be great for you -- but is this calorie-less beverage really affecting your bottom line and calories out if you're eating right and staying on track otherwise?

Not a huge fan of diet beverages anyway (I tend toward fruit juice and seltzer). But actually curious if these claims make any sense at all the folks here with their chops in nutrition and biology.

From my point of view it is certainly more in the ambiguous camp. All those epidemiological studies? It's just likely that it's weakly associated with people that make poor dietary choices more often than people that are more conscious of their diet.

Is it bad? Not in normal use, but can be in high excess. (As can seltzer and fruit juice - in high excess it's to much cals, etc)

There is some new evidence on possible gut flora interactions but I'm finding it very very tenuous and the articles read so far are full of "magical" thinking.

I love when you post exactly what I'm thinking when I can't find the words for it first thing in the morning.

Lately my diet drink of choice has been diet Dr. Pepper. Funny thing, though. I don't drink much at all a day. We've been buying the 20 ounce bottles and one has been lasting 4-5 days. We don't really drink diet sodas as a beverage, just as a little hit of something sweet. When I'm thirsty, I chug water.

LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper but it is harder to find the caffeine free stuff. Almost impossible to get caffeine free Diet Mountain Dew unless it is in the 2 liter, which is so much more than I would drink before it goes flat. (I am sensitive to caffeine so I have my one cup of coffee in the morning and no more unless I have a cup of tea)

Wait.

Caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper actually EXISTS?!?!?!?!?! That's like a mythical unicorn of happiness.

I've never even seen it.

The caffeine is one of the reasons I don't drink a lot of it, I have to watch how much of that stuff I get thanks to my migraines.

When I drink diet Canada Dry, I tend to have a bit more than 3-4 ounces. Sometimes quite a bit more.

Yup. I usually have to get it in the cans, which I don't like because I want to be able to re-seal it, but it is definitely out there!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Wait.

I've never even seen it.

Yup. I usually have to get it in the cans, which I don't like because I want to be able to re-seal it, but it is definitely out there!

That would explain why I don't know about it. I never even look at canned soda. Thanks! (you too, Malibu!)

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you would sell your soul for it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Nope. Satan is a mythical figure appearing in the texts of the Abrahamic religions. Diet Coke is a soft drink.

LOL touche
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is the nectar of the gods.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    diet coke is the debil!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    OP-I lost almost 60lbs, improved my health and blood panels, and I've now been successfully maintaining for 2 years. I drink diet soda every.single.day.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP made a spelling mistake and is asking if diet Coke is actually Santa?

I see adverts with Santa drinking lots of Coke around Christmas time.

True story.
  • NikolaiImhof
    NikolaiImhof Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    lol this is a troll thread right?

That would be my guess.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    No, Satan is sugar, and that's what everyone in hell will be eating and drinking forever, and without an "insulin ambulance*" in sight. :naughty:

*In the OP, I believe the term "insulin imbalance" was meant. Either way, still works for hell.

You'll have to pry my cherry coke zero from my cold dead hands. Just saying ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I drink Diet Coke, it does not make me want to eat more, nor does it make me want more sweets.

While that may be true for you it doesn't follow that's the same case for everyone.

FTFY

FTFY.

Artificial sweeteners may increase weight gain or slowc weight loss in some individuals because poorer choices are made elsewhere in their diets, or because they become our remain addicted to sweetened foods and consume more such foods with caloric impact. Affect all? No, but for sure some.

As for physical impacts it's early days but sufficient research exists to warrant caution.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/health/artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-obesity-epidemic-scientists-say-1.2769196

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24862170
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If sugar is the devil, are all my calories removed if I go to confession? That might be a fair trade if it works.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    large.jpg

Case. Point. Made.

definitely

Satan can't be Diet Coke, or else why would they tell you to share one with him
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Typical family didn't actually read all the labels. Yes I was a diet soda person didn't matter if it was coke or pepsi. Then my daughter got her chemistry degree and does research. We have gone more organic and we don't touch any diet beverage or artificial sweetener.

I don't have a degree but I did my own research and also by using my common sense, I figured out that being able to taste the artificial sweeteners in diet foods and drinks is disturbing and seriously not good at all.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Wait, I drink MUG....does that mean I am not part of this demographic????/Am I left out again!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My brothers Urologist claimed the caramel color can cause kidney stones. Kidney stones don't kill you, they just make you writhe in pain, puke your guts out and pee pink.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Charlie003 wrote: »
    Wait, I drink MUG....does that mean I am not part of this demographic????/Am I left out again!

yes