Is Diet Coke actually Satan?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yes. It's Diet Pepsi all the way.

When I was type 2 diabetic I groaned inwardly when my daughter would pontificate about the dangers of pop. I never convinced her that sugar pop was far worse for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    MjAxMi04MTJjNmE2ZDIwMWFlYjRh.png
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    It's satan because it's disgusting. As soon as it hits your mouth it foams to bubbles, yuck, so unenjoyable.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Why yes, yes it is >:)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    It's satan because it's disgusting. As soon as it hits your mouth it foams to bubbles, yuck, so unenjoyable.

Wait, isn't this the whole point of soda?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member

I thought the carbonation is what made it soda?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »

I thought the carbonation is what made it soda?

Well I guess we thought wrong. Carbonation = satan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    tumblr_mkyd0uUW811racqsfo1_500.gif
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    I've been reading up on the theory that suggests soda is a drug not a food, based on its ingredients or combination thereof: caffeine, aspartame (or sugar, or whatever), phosphoric acid, potassium citrate, etc. In fact, anything that interacts with the brain: coffee, chocolate, alcohol, cigarettes, etc., could be lumped into this category under this theory.

For the most part, no judgement call is made as to whether these drugs are good or bad--especially since things change with the method of consumption, the amount you consume, and the combination of different things consumed. There are findings suggesting there are benefits and precautions with everything depending upon all of the above. And, to complicate things further, things that are beneficial to the brain (like coffee and doughnuts in the morning), could actually be considered detrimental to the body.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    The thing about found "links" is...

... I'm well aware of the nature of links. My choice of one news article to introduce the subject was one made of a desire to be brief, not to convince.

One can choose to look at artificially sweetened products as benign from the strict perspective of caloric content. For a majority of members at MFP that might be ok, provided they are using diet beverages as one component of an overall calorie intake reduction strategy. But for some continuing to feed an addiction to sweet things leads to poor outcomes and they'd be better breaking off breaking their habit or learning to moderate. Feeding a sweet tooth doesn't seem to me to be a good way of doing that.

But to assume or promote artificially sweetened products as benign overall, based on what I've read out simply out of personal curiosity, that's a bridge too far for me to cross.

Disclaimer: I'm not a regular soda drinker or addicted to sweets but if I'm going to have a soda, regular please.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2015
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    This is why I drink beer ;)

Always a good policy. I don't get enough, I need to up my intake.
    Caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper actually EXISTS?!?!?!?!?! That's like a mythical unicorn of happiness.

I've never even seen it.

I've never either. Damn, I have to find it.

I just discovered Caffeine Free Coke Zero. I like Zero, but of all the cases and bottles of det in my local supermarket, there will be one case and no bottles of the caffeine free stuff. In my area apparently caffeine free is taboo. Shame, I wouldn't mind having some with dinner.

• quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    LLduds wrote: »
    My cousin smokes a pack a day but doesn't keep diet soda in her house because aspartame will kill you.

My best friend is the same....she lectures me about diet soda, but she smokes....
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    Replace all diet drinks with fruit juice. Let us know how that goes in 5 weeks, weight wise.
    Um, no one is saying drink juice instead of diet coke. Matter of fact they say stay away from juice. Now, drink water instead of diet coke and let me know how it goes in 5 weeks. That's an experiment I could get behind. Note, I do not drink pop at all, diet or not, cause I do not like it, and I don't drink juice cause it is not worth the calories/money to me
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    bzgl40 wrote: »
    Replace all diet drinks with fruit juice. Let us know how that goes in 5 weeks, weight wise.
    Um, no one is saying drink juice instead of diet coke. Matter of fact they say stay away from juice. Now, drink water instead of diet coke and let me know how it goes in 5 weeks. That's an experiment I could get behind. Note, I do not drink pop at all, diet or not, cause I do not like it, and I don't drink juice cause it is not worth the calories/money to me
    Actually, yeah, someone, OP, I believe, made a comment about juice being better for you.
    I gave up all pop for a year before when younger. Did nothing for weight, nor insomnia (what I was looking to treat).
    I drink diet pop pretty regularly and lose weight just fine.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    bzgl40 wrote: »

Meh, I cut out diet soda as an experiment for several months, a while back, and nothing magical happened. Didn't affect my weight at all, didn't affect my health at all. I did get pretty bored with just drinking water all the time though. I don't drink coffee, flavored waters, juice or milk, and I hadn't discovered tea at that point, so the ONLY thing I was drinking was plain water. After a few months I said 'screw this' and went back to drinking diet soda. Surprise surprise-nothing happened when I restarted drinking it. No weight changes and no health changes.

My sister also cut it out for a while because she got caught up in the hype that somehow diet soda hindered weight loss. Cutting it out didn't do anything magical for her either and she's back to drinking it again :p
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2015
    As long as you chase it with a mentos you'll be fine.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    The world needs diet Brio, or any diet Chinotto really. That's my unicorn of happiness.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I drink Diet Mtn Dew, and as far as I can tell, it has not hindered my weight loss. I don't know if it does increase cravings or not, but here's the thing: we're fully in control of our actions, and just because we have a craving, doesn't mean we have to give into it.
    I tend to think that it is associated with obesity because drinking a lot of soda is generally associated with an unhealthy lifestyle, which often leads to obesity.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    My brothers Urologist claimed the caramel color can cause kidney stones. Kidney stones don't kill you, they just make you writhe in pain, puke your guts out and pee pink.

And my uncle the surgeon thought that aspirating peanuts in small children causes poisoning. He was wrong. It's medical folklore.