Is Diet Coke actually Satan?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I drink Diet Coke, it does not make me want to eat more, nor does it make me want more sweets.

While that may be true for you it doesn't follow that's the same case for everyone.

Did I speak for everyone?? No??? OK then.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    My brothers Urologist claimed the caramel color can cause kidney stones. Kidney stones don't kill you, they just make you writhe in pain, puke your guts out and pee pink.

And my uncle the surgeon thought that aspirating peanuts in small children causes poisoning. He was wrong. It's medical folklore.

It ain't.
    There is an increased risk with caramel colors, and with tea, and a whole bunch of things.
    But in reality it's a very small small risk when you drink in moderation. As usual.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Mtn Dew, and as far as I can tell, it has not hindered my weight loss. I don't know if it does increase cravings or not, but here's the thing: we're fully in control of our actions, and just because we have a craving, doesn't mean we have to give into it.
    I tend to think that it is associated with obesity because drinking a lot of soda is generally associated with an unhealthy lifestyle, which often leads to obesity.

Yes. This is exactly what the medical studies on the subject state, if one reads the articles rather than merely scanning the headline (which is all that so many people do nowadays.) In other words, they claim that correlation does equal causation, which is bad science verging on voodoo.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    The thing about found "links" is...

... I'm well aware of the nature of links. My choice of one news article to introduce the subject was one made of a desire to be brief, not to convince.

One can choose to look at artificially sweetened products as benign from the strict perspective of caloric content. For a majority of members at MFP that might be ok, provided they are using diet beverages as one component of an overall calorie intake reduction strategy. But for some continuing to feed an addiction to sweet things leads to poor outcomes and they'd be better breaking off breaking their habit or learning to moderate. Feeding a sweet tooth doesn't seem to me to be a good way of doing that.

But to assume or promote artificially sweetened products as benign overall, based on what I've read out simply out of personal curiosity, that's a bridge too far for me to cross.

Disclaimer: I'm not a regular soda drinker or addicted to sweets but if I'm going to have a soda, regular please.

If feeding your sweet tooth with artificial sweeteners keeps you from eating stuff that actually has calories then it's only positives.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    In other words, they claim that correlation does equal causation, which is bad science verging on voodoo.

Funny side note: voodoo actually works. That is, only if you truly believe in it. If you believe stabbing a doll that resembles yourself will hurt, it will actually hurt. The placebo effect can be very strong. That's why I believe beer is the healthiest substance known to man ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    It is................................................if you like Diet Pepsi better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Every time I see this thread, I take a swig of Coke and smile.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    In other words, they claim that correlation does equal causation, which is bad science verging on voodoo.

Funny side note: voodoo actually works. That is, only if you truly believe in it. If you believe stabbing a doll that resembles yourself will hurt, it will actually hurt. The placebo effect can be very strong. That's why I believe beer is the healthiest substance known to man ;)

But you're supposed to be stabbing someone else in secret. :) No placebo effect there!
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options

It sure does. This is why I wrote "voodoo" (i.e. the pop-culture superstition) rather than "Vodoun" (the actual religion).

This IMO is why junk science is dangerous and not just pernicious. Because in the right gullible person, belief can potentially feed the Nocebo Effect.

• ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    But you're supposed to be stabbing someone else in secret. :) No placebo effect there!

You could test it by making a doll of someone else and stabbing them in secret. You'd know it worked because the very next bad thing that happened to them was certainly caused by your actions :)
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke I don't think it affects my diet I think sometimes it helps. When I'm hungry and it's half an hour until lunchtime I drink some of the sweet nectar and I'm fine - my PT however, thinks it is satan and describes it as toilet cleaner
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Parents: I am just wondering but would you allow your little boy or girl to drink diet soda every day?

Parents who would allow: I'd like to suggest you do a long term study on the effects (if any) for drinking diet soda in children. For the sake of proving your point of course, that diet soda is harmless.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Parents: I am just wondering but would you allow your little boy or girl to drink diet soda every day?

when I was a kid I drank coke, jolt, mountain dew, diet coke etc…..did I drink it every day, no, but I drank it regularly and came out fine.

and nice straw man about letting kids drink diet soda everyday….why don't you just ask if people would feed their kids a diet of 100% twinkies every day too …

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I wouldn't allow my child to drink any kind of soda every day. It is reserved for a treat or when eating out. When they were old enough to spend their own money and make their own choices I let them do their thing.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Parents who would allow: I'd like to suggest you do a long term study on the effects (if any) for drinking diet soda in children. For the sake of proving your point of course, that diet soda is harmless.

Mine are allowed to drink what they want. They usually choose juice or water. *shrug*
  • tanklifetj
    tanklifetj Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a can of diet coke now and then after work. Moderation is the name of the game. If you gulp down 64 oz a day you're going to have a bad time, like with any other sodium rich food.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    soo where did we land on that whole satan thing
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    soo where did we land on that whole satan thing

Hell?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

You could test it by making a doll of someone else and stabbing them in secret. You'd know it worked because the very next bad thing that happened to them was certainly caused by your actions :)
    Double blind study issue? I can see that.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

when I was a kid I drank coke, jolt, mountain dew, diet coke etc…..did I drink it every day, no, but I drank it regularly and came out fine.

and nice straw man about letting kids drink diet soda everyday….why don't you just ask if people would feed their kids a diet of 100% twinkies every day too …

Yeah, I didn't want to mention this, but you died five years ago. This is actually a forum for people that can see dead people...'s posts.