Under eating??

Options
13»

Replies

• lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sheltol wrote: »
    So why doesn't anyone see anything wrong with the fact that a 320 pound male is eating ~1500 calories and not losing weight? With exercise? So lets just say he burns 300 calories exercising leaving his body 1200 calories to function on. That's on the low range for a female. I see multiple posts that starvation mode doesn't exist. I dont care what you call it adaptive thermogensis, fat adaptation, metabolic damage but a prolonged period at this extreme of a calorie deficit is forcing muscle loss which will further the cycle of making it more difficult to lose weight. The goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and lose weight not the other way around.
    I agree with this post - in addition, I don't see any calcium rich foods in this meal plan - cheese or fat free yoghurts. There is no fruit either other than the banana which is the highest fruit in sugar content. As with all the other posts - add treats. I have been following the slimming world plan as well as tracking on here (completely OCD) for two years - I may have only lost 2 stone but its the first time I have lost and it is staying off more or less. I have stopped losing weight since I have been walking (fast pace) for the last 12 weeks - been doing around 35k a week and I wonder too if I am not eating enough.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    So why doesn't anyone see anything wrong with the fact that a 320 pound male is eating ~1500 calories and not losing weight? With exercise? So lets just say he burns 300 calories exercising leaving his body 1200 calories to function on. That's on the low range for a female. I see multiple posts that starvation mode doesn't exist. I dont care what you call it adaptive thermogensis, fat adaptation, metabolic damage but a prolonged period at this extreme of a calorie deficit is forcing muscle loss which will further the cycle of making it more difficult to lose weight. The goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and lose weight not the other way around.
    I agree with this post - in addition, I don't see any calcium rich foods in this meal plan - cheese or fat free yoghurts. There is no fruit either other than the banana which is the highest fruit in sugar content. As with all the other posts - add treats. I have been following the slimming world plan as well as tracking on here (completely OCD) for two years - I may have only lost 2 stone but its the first time I have lost and it is staying off more or less. I have stopped losing weight since I have been walking (fast pace) for the last 12 weeks - been doing around 35k a week and I wonder too if I am not eating enough.

NO. You are eating too much.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So why doesn't anyone see anything wrong with the fact that a 320 pound male is eating ~1500 calories and not losing weight?

I didn't see him say that he wasn't losing weight! I assumed he's new and not weighing.

Yeah I've been losing wieght, about 20ish lbs in the last 3 weeks...gotta keep going tho!

If you're full, DON'T SWEAT IT. You're totally fine. Your weight loss will decrease as you lose weight, and this is normal because your metabolic rate decreases with weight. (My RMR is BARELY over 1300. If I don't go out and do things to be active, I burn less than 1500 cal a day. Really.) Don't sweat that, either.

Do some walking and lifting now to preserve muscle mass. Start with lifting just 2x per week. The most you should ever do is 3x per week--and the most you should do is 45min at a time. 3x per week at 30min each is enough to get a six pack if you do it well (and lose enough weight). :D Really! So you don't have to be a gym rat to show a lot of improvement. That might make you hungrier. Eat a little more, then!

Add cardio exercise as your joints can handle it for health. (I wince when people tell big guys or gals to start running. The chances of injury for someone really out of shape are high no matter what, and when you add on the weight you're pounding your joints with with every step...um, NO.) You can do WHATEVER cardio works for you. Running is just awful for me, but I like HIIT and circuit training, video-type. Again, that might make you hungrier. Eat a little of it back.

You can be in excellent health--not just decent, but excellent--with just 2.5 hours a week of exercise.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well I do exercise, 4-5 times a week on a recumbent exercise bike, for about half an hour. Says I burn about 300-400 calories maintaining about 140 heart rate averaged. I like your idea of not sweating it, I can't help but feel like if my body was starving, and I was getting under nourished, I'd probably feel some bad side effects of it.