fannyfrost wrote: »

Lastly - Oreos are Vegan
    That settles it. I'm going vegan!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Vegan for a day? lol

sure, I'll sit on the couch and eat oreos all day for a day...for science right?

*yeah, I know you people don't really do that...just a poor attempt at humor of a hypothetical way to accomplish veganism for a day...

Cant eat oreos contains Milk and chocolate
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    IN! for this dumpster fire...well played OP. Well played...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Vegan for a day? lol

sure, I'll sit on the couch and eat oreos all day for a day...for science right?

*yeah, I know you people don't really do that...just a poor attempt at humor of a hypothetical way to accomplish veganism for a day...

I hate to tell you this, but chocolate comes from a plant. And while oreos are often dunked in milk, they don't actually contain any.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    I could never give up meat.

That is all I have to add to this.

Agree, but I do enjoy vegetarian/vegan meals from time to time.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Neither are particularly healthy or unhealthy. If you have some moral, ethical, or religious reason, I suggest you follow your heart.

Vegan nor vegetarian has not been proven healthier than being omnivorous. That said, many so called experts say we eat too much meat in the typical SAD. I try to practice moderation.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There's so much black and white thinking on this subject. You don't have to either eat an entire cow a week or just eat lentils and broccoli. There's a whole universe of ways of eating that fall somewhere between these two extremes. As far as health goes, nutrition research really hasn't found one ideal way for everybody to eat. We are omnivores and as such can get our required nutrition in a lot of different ways. Eat food you like, aim to meet your calorie and macro goals.

Fruits and vegetables are good for you and eating them regularly might help prevent a bunch of diseases. You just don't need to eliminate meat/dairy/eggs/honey to see those benefits.
    Here's an abstract of a review of a bunch of studies http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000282230000420X

All that said I think it's great if you want to try eating vegan meals for a day or more. It should give you some great ideas on how to fit a variety of veggies into your diet. Having a meatless day or two every week can also make it a lot easier to keep red meat to the recommended amounts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Vegan for a day? lol

I hate to tell you this, but chocolate comes from a plant. And while oreos are often dunked in milk, they don't actually contain any.

I thought you made chocolate from cow dung...I guess I have been doing it wrong...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    There are healthy vegan diets; there are unhealthy vegan diets.

There are healthy omnivore diets; there are unhealthy omnivore diets.

Vegan vs. Omnivore isn't a "health" dichotomy (well...some people think it is, but in reality it's not) It's usually a morality dichotomy.

I agree strongly with this post. There are healthful vegan diets, and horrendous ones. Vegan-ism is an ethics based choice.

However, I think a diet high in fruits, vegetables,beans, and whole grains is positive for health. I base that on nothing, just opinion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you can be a healthy and fit meat eater...or an unhealthy meat eater; you can be a healthy and fit vegetarian or vegan...or an unhealthy vegetarian or vegan.

One of my best friends is a vegetarian...he's fat as *kitten*. I'm a meat eater (that also happens to eat a *kitten* ton of veg and whatnot) and I'm pretty fit, healthy, and lean.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    some vegan foods-
    oreos
    lay's classic potato chips
    sweet chili doritos
    peanut butter
    biscoff cookie spread
    daiya cheese
    etc... can you see where I am going with this?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Thanks for the video. I thinking I have to go raw vegan from the paleo diet I'm currently on.

um. what?
    why would you go from one extreme of high meat to no animal products at all?

Does.Not.Compute.

The only reason you would be going vegan is for moral/ethical issues you have about eating animal products and bi products. Otherwise there is no advantage to switching.

I don't eat a lot of meat as a paleo, I eat more fruits and vegetables, so it's possible to give that up. I've read about improving eyesight on both the paleo and raw vegan lifestyles. I hear it more for raw vegan so if paleo doesn't give me better vision then it's on to raw vegan.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Vegan for a day? lol

No-most varieties of Oreos are indeed vegan and do not contain any animal products.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video. I thinking I have to go raw vegan from the paleo diet I'm currently on.

um. what?
    why would you go from one extreme of high meat to no animal products at all?

Does.Not.Compute.

The only reason you would be going vegan is for moral/ethical issues you have about eating animal products and bi products. Otherwise there is no advantage to switching.

I don't eat a lot of meat as a paleo, I eat more fruits and vegetables, so it's possible to give that up. I've read about improving eyesight on both the paleo and raw vegan lifestyles. I hear it more for raw vegan so if paleo doesn't give me better vision then it's on to raw vegan.

something wrong with your eye care professional?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    A day will not cut it bub. :)

Personal experience....I did vegan for 3 months in Jan 2013...missed cheese but felt great.
    Went vegetarian till Oct. 2014...added fish. Still felt great.
    Yesterday I started to eat chicken and turkey again. Feel great today. :)

I can tell you all my bloodwork for the past few years has been great. Personal doctor says its because of weight loss and exercise. Eating in moderation has its benefits. A little of all foods is ok. Unless you have certain health issues that need a special way of eating. There is no quick fix. Consistently eating the right amount of calories and some exercise has been the best results for me.

Stop reading the internet. :)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You could go to the eye Dr. for that.
    I have glasses from the eye doctor and would like to get rid of them for good. Even laser eye surgery doesn't last.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Looks up Blue Zones. They are areas throughout the world with the healthiest populations. They DON'T eat exactly the same diet. But they all follow the same GENERAL theme of healthy eating: they all eat a lot of veggies, fruit, beans, nuts, and seeds (plant based). Some also eat fish. Some eat more "meat". Some eat more eggs. Some eat more bread. But generally speaking, they all eat a lot of plants, and then fill in the rest with other sources of food...primarily less processed/packaged. And they don't overeat :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You could go to the eye Dr. for that.
    I have glasses from the eye doctor and would like to get rid of them for good. Even laser eye surgery doesn't last.

Eh...okay...