low carb ??? anyone try this before

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    vgrezzy wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition that would warrant low carbs, I wouldn't go below 40-50% carbs. your body needs carbs for lots of energy, and fats and proteins are too difficult for your body to digest, so having too high fat% or protein% can harm your liver & back you up

Your body doesn't need carbs and a low carb diet is completely appropriate and healthy, if that is what one so chooses. Your body digests protein and carbs just fine. Your body also can function just fine without the presence of carbs, it's called ketosis. If you have a healthy liver and kidney....there is nothing unhealthy about low carb.

Low carb is not for everyone, but the fear mongering is totally not cool.

Correct. You don't need carbs to live, at all.

I've done a low-to-moderate carb diet for about three years. These days I am around 75-100G most days, so not super low, but much lower than the SAD. I do not feel tired, lethargic, weak or dizzy. For me, it is pretty sustainable. I have pizza and paella a couple of times a year, but other than that I pretty much stay on track. Yes, I have medical reasons for doing this.

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it was interesting that an obesity doctor who is herself not insulin resistant would choose to eat very low carb...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Yup, hypoglycemia? Not dangerous at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    For people who are low-carbers.

Could you please enlighten me on where you get your Vitamin K from?

Also, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Potassium?

Low-carb and "zero-carb" aren't the same thing.
    Many low-carb folks do eat veggies, nuts, and other foods containing these vitamins.
    In addition, some meats, fish, and dairy contain potassium and vit K. Eggs have vit E, potassium, and K.

So where to low-carbers get vitamins?
    From eating food.

That would be more of a concern for very-low-carb eating plans, sub 10g. I can't speak for them.

Ha, I couldn't tell you where I get my vitamin k from, so I had to google it. Brussel sprouts and asparagus to the rescue! I would imagine most people who incorporate a variety of vegetables in their diets would hit their micros (no matter if they're high carb, low carb, or whatever).

These are a few of my favorite things....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

Low-carb and "zero-carb" aren't the same thing.
    Many low-carb folks do eat veggies, nuts, and other foods containing these vitamins.
    In addition, some meats, fish, and dairy contain potassium and vit K. Eggs have vit E, potassium, and K.

So where to low-carbers get vitamins?
    From eating food.

That would be more of a concern for very-low-carb eating plans, sub 10g. I can't speak for them.

Ha, I couldn't tell you where I get my vitamin k from, so I had to google it. Brussel sprouts and asparagus to the rescue! I would imagine most people who incorporate a variety of vegetables in their diets would hit their micros (no matter if they're high carb, low carb, or whatever).

These are a few of my favorite things....

Mine, too. Now I have to make br sprouts with supper. Yum!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Br Sprout SLAW!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Br Sprout SLAW!

I had to look that up. That looks de-friggin-licious.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I always want to know where some folks on here get their micros (especially when they go days and days and days without a single plant food in their diets, except maybe weekly marinara sauce). Most folks don't oblige. ETA Does your chow have substantial C E K and potassium?

My 'chow' contains 173mg of Vitamin C, 133 IU of Vitamin E, 152mcg of Vitamin K, and 3565 mg of Potassium.

So yeah, I get all of my micros.

All of them? Cool. How does it taste?

I just input my day into spark people and I'm doing pretty darned well too. After my green smoothie this afternoon I'll be doing just about spot on.

Yup! All of them!

It tastes like bland protein powder and oats. I don't do it for the taste. I do it because I have severe restrictions on what I can eat and no money. My regular grocery bill is easily $500/month (I've worked for 4 years to cut it down - no luck). This stuff is less than $200/month.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have food sensitivities and/or money to spend on food.

j77g2vca8apd.png
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition that would warrant low carbs, I wouldn't go below 40-50% carbs. your body needs carbs for lots of energy, and fats and proteins are too difficult for your body to digest, so having too high fat% or protein% can harm your liver & back you up

Your body doesn't need carbs and a low carb diet is completely appropriate and healthy, if that is what one so chooses. Your body digests protein and carbs just fine. Your body also can function just fine without the presence of carbs, it's called ketosis. If you have a healthy liver and kidney....there is nothing unhealthy about low carb.

I've done a low-to-moderate carb diet for about three years. These days I am around 75-100G most days, so not super low, but much lower than the SAD. I do not feel tired, lethargic, weak or dizzy. For me, it is pretty sustainable. I have pizza and paella a couple of times a year, but other than that I pretty much stay on track. Yes, I have medical reasons for doing this.

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it was interesting that an obesity doctor who is herself not insulin resistant would choose to eat very low carb...

Why do you think that eating low carb would cause hypoglycemia? What would the mechanism for that be?
  • Acg67
    Options

Why do you think that eating low carb would cause hypoglycemia? What would the mechanism for that be?

No one claimed that...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It was certainly suggested, wasn't it?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options

I always want to know where some folks on here get their micros (especially when they go days and days and days without a single plant food in their diets, except maybe weekly marinara sauce). Most folks don't oblige. ETA Does your chow have substantial C E K and potassium?

My 'chow' contains 173mg of Vitamin C, 133 IU of Vitamin E, 152mcg of Vitamin K, and 3565 mg of Potassium.

I just input my day into spark people and I'm doing pretty darned well too. After my green smoothie this afternoon I'll be doing just about spot on.

Yup! All of them!

It tastes like bland protein powder and oats. I don't do it for the taste. I do it because I have severe restrictions on what I can eat and no money. My regular grocery bill is easily $500/month (I've worked for 4 years to cut it down - no luck). This stuff is less than $200/month.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have food sensitivities and/or money to spend on food.

j77g2vca8apd.png

Cool! If only it tasted good too. Thanks for sharing the photo!

PS: could you tweak the B6 down if you wanted? It's not good to get too too much B6 day after day if memory serves.
  • Acg67
    Options

Not really, try rereading things
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

cheers
  • Acg67
    Options

cheers

This is why these threads are the best, people's inability to grasp simple concepts

person A makes a claim

person B says it's true and repeats it

Person C makes a claim, that if person A and B are correct, would also be true

Somewhere along the line reading comprehension breaks down and person B and D totally let things go over their heads
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

cheers

This is why these threads are the best, people's inability to grasp simple concepts

person A makes a claim

person B says it's true and repeats it

Person C makes a claim, that if person A and B are correct, would also be true

Somewhere along the line reading comprehension breaks down and person B and D totally let things go over their heads

Thanks for the insult. You're a pal for sure!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I low carbed for a little over a year. I lost 40 lbs but ultimately found the diet unsustainable and gained everything back. There's just too much delicious food out there that has a lot of carbs and since calorie restriction is the real key to weight loss and maintenance, I can't see the point of living with an unnecessary dietary restriction.

If other people want to only eat Kosher, Halal, vegan, organic or low carb foods - good for them I guess. For me, life's a banquet and our time on this earth is short. There are already enough external realities that put limits and restrictions on my life so I sure as hell am not adding one of my own.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I low carbed for a little over a year. I lost 40 lbs but ultimately found the diet unsustainable and gained everything back. There's just too much delicious food out there that has a lot of carbs and since calorie restriction is the real key to weight loss and maintenance, I can't see the point of living with an unnecessary dietary restriction.

If other people want to only eat Kosher, Halal, vegan, organic or low carb foods - good for them I guess. For me, life's a banquet and our time on this earth is short. There are already enough external realities that put limits and restrictions on my life so I sure as hell am not adding one of my own.

You---- I Like !!!
  • Acg67
    Options

So since it seems that your intention was unclear to some with your reference to hypoglycemia, care to clarify?

Not sure how it was unclear. It's a true statement according to the bolded quotes, unless of course the bolded quotes are false
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Yup! All of them!

j77g2vca8apd.png

Cool! If only it tasted good too. Thanks for sharing the photo!

PS: could you tweak the B6 down if you wanted? It's not good to get too too much B6 day after day if memory serves.

You can probably modify it to make it taste good - add vanilla, chocolate, whatever you wanted. I usually don't bother. It doesn't taste BAD, it's just bland. It goes down. It doesn't make me choke.

I'm not sure about lowering the B6 with the multivitamin I use. As far as I'm aware, there is no upper limit on how much you should consume a day before it becomes a problem. I'm using recommended intakes from the US.
This discussion has been closed.