anything that you want to say about tattoos?

Options

Replies

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have 3 right now and have 2 more planned out. All of them have meaning. So what if in 30+ years they will look bad? I will still see them and remember what they looked like fresh and remember what they represented to ME. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you don't like them, don't get them but please don't hate on/preach to those of us who do. It's a personal choice.
  • errinxx
    errinxx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have over 30 hours worth of work. It's hard to count once you have a certain amount done because 10 tiny tattoos isn't the same as 10 big pieces. I'm currently working on a sleeve.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have two. One is my daughter's birthday on my forearm (numbers), and the other is my Goddaughter's name on my wrist area (Calisi). Got a appt. to get my daughter's portrait on the inside of the forearm where her b-day is in August. I also have twin boys on the way and will likely get something for them after they are born. I also plan on getting another on my leg sometime next year. They get addicting as a lot of people say, but they must have a good meaning and be done well.

pujsfxtrb37t.jpg

kopxziuf2y3s.jpg
  • djones197982
    djones197982 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    got a few all polynesion love them
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Love'em want more! :smiley:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have one hidden (my rib cage) and one visible (braille on my wrist). For me, they're an expression of something about me that I personally find tied tightly to my identity. I have a third one that I've had a few artists draw up concepts for which will take up most of my thigh. Obviously, I'm a fan.

I certainly won't judge someone for making the decision to have or not have tattoos; it's personal, like the hair cut you chose to have, the clothes you wear, or how you choose to act. Those are all things you have power over, not me. In the same regard, when someone does judge me for my tattoos, I just find it kind of laughable. If my body art actually upsets you, I think that says a heck of a lot more about you than about me.

And for the people toting out the old "it'll affect your job prospects" line; I work on behalf of a major, Christian charity; the type of people who most people think would be going "hell no you can't represent us looking like that".. they've never had an issue with it. Neither have any of my other management level positions. And honestly, a company that discriminated against people because they chose to put ink on their skin, isn't one I'd be wanting to work for anyhow.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have permanent eyeliner which is applied the exact same way a tat on any other body part is. My gift to myself when I finally hit my weight loss goal is to have my eyebrows filled in this way. My kids, who have tats tell me my permanent makeup doesn't count, but I disagree. It's all applied the same way, same techniques, same equipment. :D
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have one tattoo and I have at least 2 more planned. I think there are a lot of bad tattoos out there and some people don't take the time to really choose a good design and artist. I put a LOT of thought into my first tattoo, planned it for over a year, took time designing it myself, tweaked the design with the tattoo artist. I'm a big Disney fan so I went with Mickey!
    ktfujoqyrsi3.jpg

My next tattoos will be a sun and moon on my other ankle, representing my deceased parents, a small tree of life on the base of my neck, and a quote about the ocean (LOVE LOVE LOVE the ocean!) on my arm, with some seashells and pretty swirly things around it.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i have a rose on my ankle... i want to add a butterfly to it with my sons initials in the wings and i also want a triquetra on my inner wrist...
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I can admire them aesthetically when they're really well done. IRL, it's automatically a -3 to attractiveness in guys for me. (Go figure...)

That said, if I get a serious scar, and I have the choice of a tat or a scar? If it's anywhere but my face, I'll be getting a really nice tat over it!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    jlahorn wrote: »
    My personal experience with tattoos is that they're an attention-whoring technique. Look at me! Look at how artistic/badass/romantic/philosophical/nerdy/sentimental/etc I am! LOOK AT ME, DAMMIT!

If you express this to anyone they say, "I got this tattoo for me, not to impress anybody else." Well, if that were true, then it wouldn't be visible and you wouldn't keep telling everyone about it, would you?

I can appreciate the skill and effort that go into some tattoos, but clearly they make a terrible impression on me.

If there are people out there who have tattoos for personal reasons that are not visible to others, and that they keep to themselves - I actually think that's totally fine. Kind of cool, even. I will never know if those people exist :)

We all like attention of some type. Whether its via our car, our athletic excellence, our tattoos, our form of dress, our intellect, etc. At same time, we all vary in our likes/dislikes, so you're more than entitled to disliking this form of self-expression.

Have I told you lately that
    I_love_you.gif
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have two! I would never full cover myself in them because that's just not my style, but they are definitely an art form!
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have two big skulls tattooed on both of my upper, outer thighs. One is a skull with roses around it's head the other is a melting skull with a straight razor through its head. They're big but you can't see them unless I wear short-shorts and then you can only see the bottoms of them. I like to keep them hidden and then be like BAM.
    I also have a, ahem, lower back tattoo. It was my first tattoo when I was 18 and I was scared.
    And then there's the one between my shouulders. I'm getting it redone the old fashion way, two bamboo sticks and a lot of dots. :D
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I have 10. I, too, am intrigued by the stories behind some tattoos. I don't care if you don't have any.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I have a small paw print on my ankle since I was a vet tech pre kids. My husband and FIL HATE it and tell me how much they hate it each and every chance they get. My husband almost divorced me over it, no lie. My FIL who is a millionaire even put in his will that when he is to die my kids are to be examined by a doctor. If they have any tats on them they do not get one dime of his money! Yes, that is the truth. I told my daughter that she can't get any tats until he's dead and then use his money! LOL! I'm joking of course since she's only 9 but I would tell her that if she wanted a tat in the future. I'd also tell her not to tell her dad!
  • _Captivated_
    _Captivated_ Posts: 5,669 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have several. Love every one of them.
    I complimented a woman a couple weeks ago on her tattoo, and she said she was in the process of getting it removed because as she put it "You always regret your first tattoo." I had to correct her. Nope, I thought for 6 years about what I wanted for my first tattoo before I got it, and I have loved it ever since. All of my tattoos are meaningful to me.
    I love tattoo's, but I do believe that if you don't want one that is all good too. My boyfriend doesn't have any, but he loves mine. He actually got me my last one as a birthday present.
  • Noogsofthenorth
    Noogsofthenorth Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's refreshing to see somebody without one.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I love the "what about when you're old?!" argument. Well, I will be amongst the crowd of old tattooed people.

And I'll look like a bad-*kitten* to my future grand kids.