Organic...

Options

Replies

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    http://agriculturesociety.com/tag/monocropping/
    It is important to educate on the differences in organic farming practices as opposed to conventional: mainly monocropping. Crops grown in this style need synthetic pesticides and fertilizers as poor soil quality leaves malnourished plants extremely vulnerable to pests and disease. Crop rotation allows the soil to rest and regenerate nutrients through cover crops. It is a more ecologically efficient system. Plants grown in the ideal soil don't need much more than weeding and water.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    It is important to educate on the differences in organic farming practices as opposed to conventional: mainly monocropping. Crops grown in this style need synthetic pesticides and fertilizers as poor soil quality leaves malnourished plants extremely vulnerable to pests and disease. Crop rotation allows the soil to rest and regenerate nutrients through cover crops. It is a more ecologically efficient system. Plants grown in the ideal soil don't need much more than weeding and water.

What type of soil would prevent cabbage worms (moths)? I rotate, I compost, I test and nourish my soil. I still have to cover the brassica.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Plants grown in the ideal soil don't need much more than weeding and water.

Tell that to the potato beetle. We've got great vegetable growing soil around here but our community plot is also overrun by mice, rabbits, transients, and the potato beetle. Natural selection takes no prisoners, and there's a vital struggle going on both sides. I take the beetle out on sight, but it's a long growing season and I'm not out there all day.

I deal with my community garden losses by calling them "donations".
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I strongly feel that the organic fair trade non GMO buy local movement is fueled by ignorance, bulls*&t propoganda and first world problems. It's a social construct meant to tell other people that you think you're better than them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I strongly feel that the organic fair trade non GMO buy local movement is fueled by ignorance, bulls*&t propoganda and first world problems. It's a social construct meant to tell other people that you think you're better than them.

This sounds a bit paranoid. Do you really think anyone chooses or suggests organic eating to belittle you?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would rather be safe than sorry. I eat as much organic as I can, mainly with meats, dairy, and fruits/vegetables. It's alarming to see an organic piece of fruit next to a conventional piece of fruit, the conventional looks like it is on steroids...why risk it if you don't know what you're putting into your body? I must say that I feel better when I eat organic, my skin has improved, and I feel energized rather than drained. So I will spend the extra money so that one day I at least won't have to say to myself, "I wish I would have done this or that."

fkE8z.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

+1
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

This is common practice now in both organic and conventional farming. At least, that's what I've observed and experienced with the farmers I am in contact with.

ETA: I also agree with jgnatca above. There are more quarantined plant pests and diseases than you think.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

This is common practice now in both organic and conventional farming. At least, that's what I've observed and experienced with the farmers I am in contact with.

She speaks for the Texas panhandle and I for north Louisiana...when I say this. Corn and cotton are particularly hard on soils "monocropped".

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ITT: Appeal to nature fallacy.

To people claiming that grocery store organic tastes better/is more nutritional (I am keeping it separate from local crops, I think that is a totally different argument), studies have been done that say that little to no difference can be found. http://foodscience.missouri.edu/news/organic-milk.php http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/3/680.full and http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html

What happens most often is that people get tricked into thinking more expensive = better tasting. Look at wine, if you put a cheap wine into an expensive bottle it will be rated higher than that same wine in a cheaper looking bottle. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

Organic is a marketing term to make you buy more expensive food for no practical reason. Much like the term "all natural" it serves no purpose for most people.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ITT: Appeal to nature fallacy.

To people claiming that grocery store organic tastes better/is more nutritional (I am keeping it separate from local crops, I think that is a totally different argument), studies have been done that say that little to no difference can be found. http://foodscience.missouri.edu/news/organic-milk.php http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/3/680.full and http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html

What happens most often is that people get tricked into thinking more expensive = better tasting. Look at wine, if you put a cheap wine into an expensive bottle it will be rated higher than that same wine in a cheaper looking bottle. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

Organic is a marketing term to make you buy more expensive food for no practical reason. Much like the term "all natural" it serves no purpose for most people.

This is assuming that people only buy organic for taste. Many, maybe even most, eat organic because they believe it either is or could be better for their health or the environment.
  • explosivedonut
    Options
    If you read my post and the articles I linked, you would see that studies have shown that nutritionally they are the same. As for the environment, I think the "mega farms" we have, organic or otherwise, are probably not great for our environment. Are non-organic farms worse? I don't know, I would like to see some scientific literature on that.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Tell that to the potato beetle. We've got great vegetable growing soil around here but our community plot is also overrun by mice, rabbits, transients, and the potato beetle. Natural selection takes no prisoners, and there's a vital struggle going on both sides. I take the beetle out on sight, but it's a long growing season and I'm not out there all day.

You sure took my sentence out of context. I was talking about plants not needing chemicals...
    Re your garden: Keep manually removing the beetles. Straw mulch is the best for potatoes and planting them near beans hampers the emergence of more larvae.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

You sure took my sentence out of context. I was talking about plants not needing chemicals...
    Re your garden: Keep manually removing the beetles. Straw mulch is the best for potatoes and planting them near beans hampers the emergence of more larvae.

I can guarantee that all the manual picking, straw, and beans won't deter the onslaught of the beetle. Hence the need for chemicals. Water's a chemical too and you don't doubt it's efficacy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    If you read my post and the articles I linked, you would see that studies have shown that nutritionally they are the same. As for the environment, I think the "mega farms" we have, organic or otherwise, are probably not great for our environment. Are non-organic farms worse? I don't know, I would like to see some scientific literature on that.

Again, I don't think many people think they are more nutritious. They think the pesticide residue is, or may be, harmful.
  • explosivedonut
    Options
    Really? Cause looking at this thread, a lot of people are talking about taste or nutrition.
  • miriamtob
    edited June 2015
    Options

I can guarantee that all the manual picking, straw, and beans won't deter the onslaught of the beetle. Hence the need for chemicals. Water's a chemical too and you don't doubt it's efficacy.

I farmed organically on a commercial farm in humid central virginia, with every known garden pest, fungus, and disease. Grew beautiful veggies without synthetic chemicals. I'm sure the chemical companies would love for you to think you need their products as much as water. Good luck with your community plot. I'm done with this thread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Really? Cause looking at this thread, a lot of people are talking about taste or nutrition.

I think a bit of that discussion in this thread was more about local than organic. But yes, there are people who say they can taste the difference.

ETA: I was reading through your links posted above, but I didn't see any data on taste preferences.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

lol +1
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    OP's question was "Do you think eating organic is important?" I would say mostly yes because I wish to ingest as little pesticides and chemicals as possible, FDA rated safe or otherwise. That being said, it is a personal choice and no one should try to impose their opinions on others.

I subscribe to the theory that you should eat as well as you can afford and, for me, that usually includes organic produce. It doesn't make me feel that I'm better than others because I do, it makes me feel better about what I'm putting into my body. Not everyone can afford the higher prices of organic foods, including me. There are times I just refuse to pay $8.50 lb for asparagus or $5.00+ lb for grapes. In that case I will choose less expensive items. When on sale, sometimes the organic items are actually cheaper, so it's good to pay attention.

I didn't read this entire thread so not sure if others have mentioned the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen list. Here's a list of the pesticide loads in food and which have more or less.

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php