Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.)

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @JessiLynnFit Do you suggest the audio book or the book itself. I know sometimes things get and stay in my head far more if I'm listening to it. But I do love my books. ;)

Can you offer any advice as to which you might recommend to be better? Or perhaps it doesn't matter?

Thanks for any help you can share. I emailed my Therapist and asked her if she was familiar with it (Rational Recovery)....awesome she is and feels it's positive! Looking forward to discussing it more with her in the a.m.

The more I read on this on the web the more excited I am in feeling I have hope of taking charge and getting my life back.

Thanks so much Jessi for bringing up what's been working for you as now I feel I see light in the tunnel!! <3
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    gwenpally wrote: »
    I hear you!! I'm guilty of yoyo-ing over the years (about 15) and binge-eating is defs something I need to change for life! I can do quite well for a few days then I'll allow myself a treat and there's just no stopping me. It's like I can be good again when all the treats are gone, but I'll wait til then. Doesn't help that I'm an emotional eater and as a female, I get emotional a lot. Unfortunately I can offer no solutions either but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Also, welcome Good Thymes. I'm new-ish as well (again). Going to do better this time though!

omg, you could be my twin. i've lost thousands of pounds over the years..... all the same 15ish! to be able to STOP after one treat would be like nirvana! welcome! (again)
  • atj110
    atj110 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from an ED that is more restrictive. I was diagnosed with bulimia first and then after attempting to recover and relapsing a few times, I sought professional help again and that diagnosis was changed to OSFED. My biggest addiction is purging in all ways possible, so years of that has caused binges to be more frequent. So I empathize with what a lot of people have posted so far.

I just want to point out that EDs are a form of mental illness so if shaming personally works then those feelings are valid, but no on is a disgusting person for simply having an ED since regardless of the diagnosis, this isn't something we chose. x
  • JessiLynnFit
    JessiLynnFit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @Hearts_2015 I'm just seeing this now... I'm so incredibly happy that you're getting the book and that your therapist is familiar with it. I would honestly get both... Read the book and listen to it in your car. I didn't know there's an audio I'm going to get it. I reread the book still it's good to refer back. The book also talks about how habits form which has been a HUGE help. Please let me know how you're doing with it!!! I also started a blog about using it it's girloutoftherut.wordpress.com but it's not that interesting lol
  • JessiLynnFit
    Options
    @Hearts_2015 here is the link to the AVRT page just for overeaters:
    https://rational.org/index.php?id=68
  • msfoxy_25
    msfoxy_25 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I struggle with bulimia and i know how frustrating binge eating can be. Honestly going to treatment was one of the best things for me. It helped me establish a routine, eating only at set times. You should look into the meal exchange system. Maybe try to talk to a nutritionist and get on a meal plan. Also therapy and fining your binge triggers will help immensely. As for what you can do until then.....i'm sure you have heard these before but here goes. Water, drink a cup before and after each meal. Set meal times, you can only et during those times. No going into the kitchen, snacking or buying foods if it is NOT those meal times. No "diet" foods, these are less filling and can leave your body craving more shortly after having eaten them. DO NOT make food illegal, what I mean is if you say "i'm cutting back on breads so I can't have bagels, rolls, biscuits" your going to binge on bagels, rolls and biscuits. Allow everything in moderation. I suggest not buying binge food for a little while, it's hard at first but eventually you will be able to bring those foods back into your house when you have more control. DISTRACTIONS! Stay busy, clean, exercise, read, make a blog, do art/crafts, if you have kids spend more time with them. When you crave something tell yourself "I will have that later, I just ate X hours ago and I can eat at X time. I'll have it then." Watch a movie or something to pass the time.
  • mcaffee91
    mcaffee91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with BED my whole life, I found such comfort in filling myself with things that made me happy. I still struggle with it and reading some of your stories makes me feel not so alone in this internal battle I feel every single day. I have gone as far as not buying any food I can binge on and giving my credit cards and cash to family so I couldn't go buy $20 in fast food to go home and binge on. I am still struggling but 1 week along without a binge and feeling very good about it. Thank you for your stories and kind words!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm joining late but I am SO glad there's a name for this insidious disease. I have put on 40 lbs over the past years and it is all due to bingeing. I can easily eat an entire large pizza in one sitting and have no problem putting down ice cream and 2 sodas after.

2 lbs of M&M's? Done it.

Entire bags of Oreos with milk? Guilty.

I am so relieved that I am not alone.....
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I'm joining late but I am SO glad there's a name for this insidious disease. I have put on 40 lbs over the past years and it is all due to bingeing. I can easily eat an entire large pizza in one sitting and have no problem putting down ice cream and 2 sodas after.

2 lbs of M&M's? Done it.

Entire bags of Oreos with milk? Guilty.

I am so relieved that I am not alone.....

@Starfish1125 You're absolutely not alone! Glad you found the thread :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    mcaffee91 wrote: »
    I have struggled with BED my whole life, I found such comfort in filling myself with things that made me happy. I still struggle with it and reading some of your stories makes me feel not so alone in this internal battle I feel every single day. I have gone as far as not buying any food I can binge on and giving my credit cards and cash to family so I couldn't go buy $20 in fast food to go home and binge on. I am still struggling but 1 week along without a binge and feeling very good about it. Thank you for your stories and kind words!

@mcaffee91 Great job!!! :)
  • VanillaGorilla808
    VanillaGorilla808 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I struggled on and off for a while, nearly becoming hospitilized for it, eventually I convinced my mind that food was doing good because it was fueling my body and building muscle and with that I eventually broke free. Dont give up, reach out to someone
  • wendy75_512
    wendy75_512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with this for many years. I have recently gained control of this, but recently I just don't eat at all. Scared to eat, but more afraid of a new problem that's developing. Feel free to add me.
  • aektroop
    aektroop Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have gained 17 pounds in the past 2.5 weeks from bingeing. No joke. Even my dr said it was an "impressive" gain but not in a good way at all! Taking control back today. Ugh. I was doing so well before!
  • kittyplunkett
    kittyplunkett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    saladfairy wrote: »
    I began binge eating around the age of 14, when I first tried to diet (i.e. starve myself). I would cycle days barely eating and days where I couldn't control myself. it turned into bulimia about 2 years ago, which got progressively worse until a few months ago. I hardly ever purge anymore, but the bingeing is a daily struggle! Slowy, *slowly* growing past it.

same thing happened to me. EXACT same thing. I stopped purging... but I still am bingeing....... slowly stopping. It's so frustrating. Yet, so warming to know you aren't the only one. Thank you for this
  • JessiLynnFit
    Options
    @Hearts_2015 hope it's going well !!!!
  • JessiLynnFit
    Options
    @aektroop don't give up
  • amandahugndkiss
    amandahugndkiss Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So glad i found this thread just skimmed a couple pages as i an getting read to work out, but will come back to you all later. I have struggled with binge eating for add long as i can remember, its so good to know it's not just me.
  • sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @JessiLynnFit it's been 10 days I didn't binge, the book "brain over binge" has help me more than I could expect, I also have the brain over binge workbook ... these two books help me understanding a lot of things and avoiding me from bingeing. so thank you so much to have speak to us about this book
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    sothgo wrote: »
    @JessiLynnFit it's been 10 days I didn't binge, the book "brain over binge" has help me more than I could expect, I also have the brain over binge workbook ... these two books help me understanding a lot of things and avoiding me from bingeing. so thank you so much to have speak to us about this book

@sothgo
    So glad you're having so much success with the Book and Workbook. :) I hadn't realized there was a workbook as well. May I ask where you purchased them? I'm having a tough time finding it locally. Even Barnes and Noble doesn't carry it.

I think I'll just go ahead and order it this week from Amazon but didn't see the workout on the site. I think I'll prowl the Net to see if I can find the workout. I had hoped it came in audio as well but can't seem to find that either. Sometimes when I sit and listen or do whatever I'm doing at the time I listen to that sort of thing, although I love books as well, both would be nice to have. :)

@JessiLynnFit did you find the book on tape (CD), I did see the download but I don't have an iphone. You're sweet to ask after me... Sorry I haven't popped in on this thread in a bit I'm a bit under the weather..but I'll be checking in.

Welcome newcomers....this is a great thread, it makes me not feel like "I'm the only one out here" as many of you have also shared. So many ppl have shared tips and tricks and books etc.

Hope you're all doing great today!
    Hearts <3
  • sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @Hearts_2015
    I found it on the website brainover binge
    http://s517416068.onlinehome.us/?page_id=12
    I print the book after buy it
    it's exercices to do and it really helps me since even if I Really liked the book it was not enough for me.