No Sugar Diet

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I find it hard because i enjoy fruits so much.

How many people do you think got fat or sick from eating too many apples?

Can you give us a little bit more info as to what this diet entails in order to accurately discuss the pros and cons of it please.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1320.gif
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Has any one tried a No Sugar diet and been successful? I would like to know what diet strategy you used as reference and guidance.
    It is impossible to go on a no sugar diet, and unnecessary...
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tumblr_lvcm3ftozF1qbunx5.gif

Hey look - a community guideline:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

This thread has been cleaned up to remove some off topic posts. If you have input to the original post, please feel free to share it. Mocking a post or poster is a violation of community guidelines, as is hi-jacking a discussion. Please stay on topic and post constructively.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bhilliker wrote: »
    I just did Atkins for a couple weeks to get the sugar out of my system. I am back to eating some fruit, but if I eat any sort of bread or baked good I feel horrible. Guess it is a no grain life for me. I don't think it hurts anyone to get that junk out of their system.

That's what happens when you cut something out and then eat it again- your body is like WOW- WTF was that.
    It's like not training at all- then going and running a marathon- of COURSE you're going to have a negative reaction.
    Blaming it on the carbs is like blaming the marathon for your bad choice of not training.

Also carbs =/= junk.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a no sugar diet since carbs are broken down into sugar, and even people who eat very low carb still eat carbs in the form of vegetables and some fruits.

Some people like low carb, others definitely couldn't do it. I tried it and didn't react well, so I no longer do low carb. Try it out and see if you like it. Weight loss is due to eating fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight. Some people find it easier to create a deficit by cutting carbs, others create a deficit by eating less of everything that they enjoy and not cutting out specific foods.

Find what is sustainable for you.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I am not on a no sugar diet, I usually eat under 20g a day unless I have ice cream. I follow a low carb diet, once I reduced my intake from sweets, breads, pastas, my sugar intake also lowered.

Most of my sugar now comes from veggies and dark chocolate. Unless you were only eating meat daily it would be impossible to eat 0 sugar. It also may not be necessary depending on what your goals are. If your only goal is to eat 0 sugar then that's one thing, however it's not necessary for health or weight loss.

You should take a look at your diary and see where most of your sugar is coming form, if its sweets, candy, etc. you could try cutting back on those things and gradually reduce, while incorporating more minimally processed whole foods into your diet to reach your nutrient goals. I would find that method more sustainable than going cold turkey altogether on sugars.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have seen many arguments as to why one should cut out all sugar, and I simply not convinced. Right now, The Whole30 diet is super trendy (what half of the cool kids are doing) and you will come upon so many articles about the evils of sugar. How like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes are the root of all evil and cutting them out "will change your life." (quote from their website) http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
    So they encourage eating meat, veggies and good fats.

THEN, you come upon something like VB6 (Vegan before 6) that says that you should avoid most animal products and only have a *minimal* amount after 6 p.m. and eat vegan the rest of the day--Because it is *animal products* that are the root of all evil and they must be avoided at all cost.

Macrobiotics will tell you that grains are the center of the universe and fruit and fish should only be consumed occasionally - other animal products, never.

Paleo/caveman/CrossFit are literally Against All Grain, because, you know, THAT is what is making people fat/sick/ugly/undesirable.

The thing is, everybody is trying to push their angle. Everybody is trying to sell you something -- whether a book, clicks to their blog, pre-packaged foods, e-books, diet plans, coaching, life style.

And since there's so much competition, how is one supposed to secure a niche market? Well, tell them that your way is the way to skinny-jean-Nirvana! Demonize the others and charge for your wisdom!

I think most people feel like they have "tried" sensible eating and failed at reaching their goals, so they assume that there *must* be an unpaved path to easy (enough) weight loss. And that is the reason that so many people end up buying into these diets.

I think that if I base my diet on whole foods (for the most part), indulge occasionally, and practice moderation it is possible to achieve my goals. When I eat like that, I feel and look my best.

But my approach doesn't really sell books or gets me 10,000 IG followers so don't be hatin'

My point is, there's always going to be someone out there selling "The Answer to Fast Weight Loss" and now, avoidance diets are the cool (profitable) thing to sell.

I think that if you are generally in good health, there's no reason to deprive yourself of complete food groups (like fruits)
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Has any one tried a No Sugar diet and been successful? I would like to know what diet strategy you used as reference and guidance.

Do your research, learn about carbs/proteins/fats, digestion,insulin etc...in a long run it really helps knowing how our body functions.

Having learned all this you will realise that if you have some serious weight to lose - any adjustments to your current lifestyle/dietary habits will bring significant results, be it low carb, low fat etc....
    However - (speaking from experience) - if all you fight for is 20pounds or less then it boils down to CICO :)

The only time I lost some weight by low carbing was when I did the DUKAN diet - very low fat, no carbs, high protein - totally unsustainable. The second time around I tried to follow the ''normal'' low carb diet - but without any significant results. I turned to one of the LC forums to seek some advice on my lack of progress and all I learned was that for my stats I should introduce calorie counting, some intermittent fasting and extra activity - so here I am :)
    Nevertheless - while on the journey, I've learned a great deal about nutrition, digestion fitness etc - so the time was well spent and I can finally say that I'm not on a ''diet''
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have seen many arguments as to why one should cut out all sugar, and I simply not convinced. Right now, The Whole30 diet is super trendy (what half of the cool kids are doing) and you will come upon so many articles about the evils of sugar. How like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes are the root of all evil and cutting them out "will change your life." (quote from their website) http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
    So they encourage eating meat, veggies and good fats.

THEN, you come upon something like VB6 (Vegan before 6) that says that you should avoid most animal products and only have a *minimal* amount after 6 p.m. and eat vegan the rest of the day--Because it is *animal products* that are the root of all evil and they must be avoided at all cost.

Macrobiotics will tell you that grains are the center of the universe and fruit and fish should only be consumed occasionally - other animal products, never.

Paleo/caveman/CrossFit are literally Against All Grain, because, you know, THAT is what is making people fat/sick/ugly/undesirable.

The thing is, everybody is trying to push their angle. Everybody is trying to sell you something -- whether a book, clicks to their blog, pre-packaged foods, e-books, diet plans, coaching, life style.

And since there's so much competition, how is one supposed to secure a niche market? Well, tell them that your way is the way to skinny-jean-Nirvana! Demonize the others and charge for your wisdom!

I think most people feel like they have "tried" sensible eating and failed at reaching their goals, so they assume that there *must* be an unpaved path to easy (enough) weight loss. And that is the reason that so many people end up buying into these diets.

I think that if I base my diet on whole foods (for the most part), indulge occasionally, and practice moderation it is possible to achieve my goals. When I eat like that, I feel and look my best.

But my approach doesn't really sell books or gets me 10,000 IG followers so don't be hatin'

My point is, there's always going to be someone out there selling "The Answer to Fast Weight Loss" and now, avoidance diets are the cool (profitable) thing to sell.

I think that if you are generally in good health, there's no reason to deprive yourself of complete food groups (like fruits)

Basically, if you follow fad diets, the bottom line is that everything is toxic and you should never eat anything at all in order to be healthy and lose weight.

Well, you'd lose weight, but you'll be dead within a month.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It would be very difficult to eliminate all sugar and why would you want to anyway?
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be arguing the point that sugar should not be eliminated due to it not having an effect on weight loss. But what about the health benefits for some of us who need to cut down on the processed foods/sugar? I have a sugar addiction, I am well aware of it. No, I don't crave chocolate or candy, but rather I crave the sugar drinks like lattes and baked goods and other high carb/no nutrition treats/foods. And too much sugar has been proven to wreak havoc on our bodies by causing us to have digestive issues, high blood pressure or cholesterol causing heart disease or diabetes, acne, etc. It's been proven that Americans eat way more sugar than what is recommended, obviously sugar is natural in some healthy food; but we are talking more about the unhealthy sugar that we need to eliminate from our systems for health reasons. Maybe for us who know we have to put a stop to this, is why we want to know how people have managed to turn their diets around by either cutting down or eliminating sugar from their daily life.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be arguing the point that sugar should not be eliminated due to it not having an effect on weight loss. But what about the health benefits for some of us who need to cut down on the processed foods/sugar? I have a sugar addiction, I am well aware of it. No, I don't crave chocolate or candy, but rather I crave the sugar drinks like lattes and baked goods and other high carb/no nutrition treats/foods. And too much sugar has been proven to wreak havoc on our bodies by causing us to have digestive issues, high blood pressure or cholesterol causing heart disease or diabetes, acne, etc. It's been proven that Americans eat way more sugar than what is recommended, obviously sugar is natural in some healthy food; but we are talking more about the unhealthy sugar that we need to eliminate from our systems for health reasons. Maybe for us who know we have to put a stop to this, is why we want to know how people have managed to turn their diets around by either cutting down or eliminating sugar from their daily life.

Could you please cite the sources you used to gather this very unusual information?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Davis1818 wrote: »
    I have not found a way to eat sugar in moderation so a couple of years ago I just cut out all candy, cakes, cookies - anything with sugar. I eat plenty of fruits and so forth. Works for me

So you eat sugar in moderation then?
  • blb85
    Options

Could you please cite the sources you used to gather this very unusual information?

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2
    http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20637702,00.html
    http://www.livescience.com/36188-sugar-bad.html

It just goes without saying, it's not at all healthy to be adding a ton of sugar on a daily basis to your diet. I'm not saying that you shouldn't still eat fruits and dairy where sugar is a part of naturally; but we shouldn't be eating a ton of the processed sugar in our diets since its just empty calories and no added nutritional value for us. Sugar is an addiction that is not good for the long term.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Davis1818 wrote: »
    I have not found a way to eat sugar in moderation so a couple of years ago I just cut out all candy, cakes, cookies - anything with sugar. I eat plenty of fruits and so forth. Works for me

This statement is painfully ignorant. Fructose, what is in fruit, is a sugar...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-effects-of-sugar?page=2
    http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20637702,00.html
    http://www.livescience.com/36188-sugar-bad.html

It just goes without saying, it's not at all healthy to be adding a ton of sugar on a daily basis to your diet. I'm not saying that you shouldn't still eat fruits and dairy where sugar is a part of naturally; but we shouldn't be eating a ton of the processed sugar in our diets since its just empty calories and no added nutritional value for us. Sugar is an addiction that is not good for the long term.
    Including added sugar as part of a healthy overall diet and eating "tons" of sugar are two different things...
  • blb85
    Options
    And yet both are unhealthy either way. So I don't get what you are trying to imply.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    And yet both are unhealthy either way. So I don't get what you are trying to imply.

That's where the disagreement lies. Added sugar does not automatically equal unhealthy.
This discussion has been closed.