Whole30 - Thoughts?

Options
Hey Guys!

I am excited to be back! I struggled for a long time and now I think it is time to come home... So for the past year while I was inactive, I ate nothing but junk... I was discussing with my friend about a detox to kick off my new lifestyle, but she suggested Whole30. Apparently it is a thirty day program with a few rules, helping the body to rid itself of the grossness and train our minds to eat better. It also helps in paying more attention to labels and what foods have what in it.

I am curious to know if anyone else has tried this program. Pros? Cons?

Let us know!!!

Thanks,

Angela

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I've seen people in the Low Carb group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group talk about Whole30, but not so much here in General.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I think it's unnecessarily restrictive. Eating doesn't have to be that complicated. Why not just eat at a deficit?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great goal to incorporate more nutrient rich foods into your diet.

However, my opinion is most 'plans' which give you a list of acceptable/unacceptable foods and set arbitrary end dates for no other reason than to have a catchy title for the plan generally aren't successful in the long-term.

Better (in my opinion) to focus on incorporating those nutrient rich foods, make changes you can stick with for life, and still allow yourself a "treat" once in a while for mental health.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 was life changing for me in terms of overall health, weight loss and nutrition. I don't eat grains or dairy anyway so it wasn't a difficult process. The above poster is right about looking at the low carb forum for more information. You won't find much support here in the main forums and there's more people there that have actually done one. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • snickers061703
    snickers061703 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it today! I'm going to add an extra serving of fruit since I'm breastfeeding, but I feel really excited about losing some baby weight and lessening my sugar cravings. I started to ease into it last week, but we had two birthday parties that week. I had two pieces of cake, sweet potato fries, bread twice, and yogurt occasionally and I lost 3 pounds since last week anyway. So I was converted on that alone. Good luck to you! I found pinterest helpful with meal planning.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sometimes our bodies have an intolerance to certain foods and one effective way to know if you do, is to eliminate from your diet for 30 days. Then introduce one food at a time for 2-3 days and see if your body has any adverse reactions (usually IBS related). For example, milk and wheat are two foods I need to stay away from.
    I personally eat Paleo which usually eliminates the same foods as whole30 and have found I eat more veggies when I cut out the grains and beans. I feel better and my body functions better eating this way, so since it works for me I'm sticking with it. If one diet worked for everyone, we'd all be doing it. Finding which one works best for you ends up being trial and error.
    Just my opinion.
    Karen
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Psalm37v4 wrote: »
    Sometimes our bodies have an intolerance to certain foods and one effective way to know if you do, is to eliminate from your diet for 30 days. Then introduce one food at a time for 2-3 days and see if your body has any adverse reactions (usually IBS related). For example, milk and wheat are two foods I need to stay away from.
    I personally eat Paleo which usually eliminates the same foods as whole30 and have found I eat more veggies when I cut out the grains and beans. I feel better and my body functions better eating this way, so since it works for me I'm sticking with it. If one diet worked for everyone, we'd all be doing it. Finding which one works best for you ends up being trial and error.
    Just my opinion.
    Karen

And what if one shows no symptoms of a food intolerance?
  • Psalm17v22
    Options

And what if one shows no symptoms of a food intolerance? [/quote]

Then it's a food your body tolerates well.
    Karen
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Karen[/quote]

So since OP didn't mention any food intolerances, why should she do this plan, since that was your entire argument?
  • Psalm17v22
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Karen

So since OP didn't mention any food intolerances, why should she do this plan, since that was your entire argument?[/quote]

It's not my entire argument, it's just a reason to consider. I didn't realize I was intolerant to those foods until I cut them out and I felt better. Sometimes we don't realize we are dealing with symptoms we don't have to.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.
    Karen

I personally think it's unnecessary stress. It would be for me, anyhow. I'm on a fodmap diet for severe stomach issues. I can't have wheat, lactose, a variety of fruits/veggies are off limits, no legumes/beans pretty much, also no sorbitol/malitol/limit other things as well. I also have to make sure things aren't too greasy, too much fat or else I have severe IBS. This is absolutely necessary for me not to be so sick. If not, there is no way I'd restrict myself for no reason. It causes you to be cut off from "the real world" and it's definitely hard to be around such restrictions as a friend, etc.

I know it seems easier when there is a "plan"...and maybe that is what appeals to you about the Whole30. What are your objectives-you mention detox...so you feel like you have been having some not so healthy habits? Why not focus on food pyramid, or adding more colour or variety, and focus on moderation? Just some ideas.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    It's utterly pointless. It's low calorie, so you'll lose on it, but it teaches you nothing, so you'll gain it all back.

Also, it's not based on actual food intolerances, just on a vague moral value that idiots, sorry, the general public assigns to food.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Also, there is no such thing as a "detox" diet. You're being lied to. Quit being the diet industry's sucker.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great goal to incorporate more nutrient rich foods into your diet.

However, my opinion is most 'plans' which give you a list of acceptable/unacceptable foods and set arbitrary end dates for no other reason than to have a catchy title for the plan generally aren't successful in the long-term.

Better (in my opinion) to focus on incorporating those nutrient rich foods, make changes you can stick with for life, and still allow yourself a "treat" once in a while for mental health.

Someone brought up a really good point a few weeks ago. So many diet plans focus on what you "have" to cut out of your diet or what you need to stop eating, but people should be focusing on what you can add to your diet instead. Add more nutritionally dense foods like fruits, vegetables, and lean protein sources, and many people will find themselves fuller and able to eat more volume of food without being overly restrictive.

Yes, you still need to track your food and be in a deficit, but many people find the deficit easier to achieve when they incorporate nutritionally dense foods and somewhat limit (but not necessarily cut out) calorie dense food.

Whole30 can be very restrictive. Some people find it a way to change habits and after the end of the 30 days, they incorporate foods they had cut out in moderation. Honestly, it's not like it's a bad diet, it just may be overly restrictive for some people. Try it and see how you like it.
  • blwasson73
    edited June 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Someone brought up a really good point a few weeks ago. So many diet plans focus on what you "have" to cut out of your diet or what you need to stop eating, but people should be focusing on what you can add to your diet instead. Add more nutritionally dense foods like fruits, vegetables, and lean protein sources, and many people will find themselves fuller and able to eat more volume of food without being overly restrictive.

Yes, you still need to track your food and be in a deficit, but many people find the deficit easier to achieve when they incorporate nutritionally dense foods and somewhat limit (but not necessarily cut out) calorie dense food.

Whole30 can be very restrictive. Some people find it a way to change habits and after the end of the 30 days, they incorporate foods they had cut out in moderation. Honestly, it's not like it's a bad diet, it just may be overly restrictive for some people. Try it and see how you like it.

Great advice! We loved the food (steak, salmon, lobster, great recipes, etc when we were doing it) and didn't even come close to our calorie count because we were so satisfied by putting nutritionally solid food in our bodies. What works for one won't work for all. I learned that by cutting out grains and dairy, my asthma, acid reflux and eczema went away. If I reintroduce those items, they flare back up. There is a new Whole 30 cookbook out you could look at and see if the recipes are appealing too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »

Great advice! We loved the food (steak, salmon, lobster, great recipes, etc when we were doing it) and didn't even come close to our calorie count because we were so satisfied by putting nutritionally solid food in our bodies. What works for one won't work for all. I learned that by cutting out grains and dairy, my asthma, acid reflux and eczema went away. If I reintroduce those items, they flare back up.

Ya, the only time I am allergic to cats is when I eat too much sugar.

• blwasson73
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    blamundson wrote: »

Great advice! We loved the food (steak, salmon, lobster, great recipes, etc when we were doing it) and didn't even come close to our calorie count because we were so satisfied by putting nutritionally solid food in our bodies. What works for one won't work for all. I learned that by cutting out grains and dairy, my asthma, acid reflux and eczema went away. If I reintroduce those items, they flare back up.

Ya, the only time I am allergic to cats is when I eat too much sugar.

Great! Glad you found the cause of your problem!
  • Ay_Rene
    Ay_Rene Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input... I do not have any (at least I dont think I have any) intolerances to food, but for the past year I have been eating whatever I want in copious amounts. I did not gain much weight (I pretty much maintained my weight for the whole year with minor fluctuations) , but I hate the way I feel. I found myself including more nutrient-rich foods, it is just on top of what I was previously eating, not instead of.

I find that my mind is hungrier than my appetite, and because of the way I grew up, it literally pains me to waste food, so I force myself to clear the plate. I know it is a mental thing; I thought need hard "rules" might be the way to go. I liked that the whole30 didn't limit the serving size, it just restricted the type of food. But everyone brought up really good points about it not teaching you anything and being too restrictive... So does anyone have any additional suggestions?
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have done 2 Whole30's, I really enjoyed it and had a lot more energy and felt happier in general. I don't have any food tolerances that I am aware of either. Now I am eating what I like and counting calories which I prefer as I don't need to cut anything out and I find counting calories kind of fun!
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can just use MFP to log your food paying special attention to your macros and micros- try to fill them all as best you can. That way you will be taking good care of both your portion sizes and your nutrition.