No Sugar Diet

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Saying that diabetes and obesity, as well as feeling like crap, simply because you ate some "processed sugar" is like saying that people fall and drown in pools because Nicolas Cage is appearing in films.

ez6rkwhg6o50.png

Correlation =/= causation.

I don't know man..have you seen some of his movies lately????

Please note: It's people FALLING into pools and drowning, not jumping in and committing suicide.

LOL ..

I think they are so mind numbed from his movies that they just fall in like zombies.

skyler-in-the-pool.gif
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.

What do you generally eat on a daily basis then, without dairy, gluten, and sugar? I'm genuinely curious, is it meat and low-carb vegetables only?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.

http://www.amazon.ca/JJ-Virgins-Sugar-Impact-Diet/dp/1455577847

"Drop 7 Hidden Sugars, Lose Up to 10 Pounds in Just 2 Weeks"

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

Anything that says "Lose XX lbs in x weeks!" is always pure *kitten* and is just trying to sell you their product to make more money.

I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor is on consignment.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Anything that says "Lose XX lbs in x weeks!" is always pure *kitten* and is just trying to sell you their product to make more money.

you probably lose 5 in water weight so it is not outrageous but total BS, yes...I agree.
  • mommy2TandN
    mommy2TandN Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I am not a fan of the author's push about losing weight quickly, either. And my reason for doing the diet is much more about getting my glucose down than it is losing weight. I have a lot of diabetes in my family, with both grandparents on my dad's side dying of heartacks in their 40's. I'm certain they had undiagnosed diabetes, based on my memories of them and the symptoms they showed. And diabetes does lead to increased risk of heart attacks. And I had gestational diabetes about 14 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. So anything I can do to get out of the pre-diabetes range is good. My doctor actually recommended this book to me because another of her patients started following the diet on her own and had great success. She isn't making any money off this book. They sell some health books (including cookbooks) at the doctor's office and this isn't even available there. The original poster asked for diet plans to follow that limit sugar, and although this one doesn't get rid of all sugar, it does limit them in a way that doesn't cause as much withdrawal.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Even if you were to cut carbs because of sugar, the body would just take fat and protein and turn it into glucose. Although cutting carbs and sugar is a really good idea! Just lower it until it works for you.
  • mommy2TandN
    mommy2TandN Posts: 7 Member
    Options

What do you generally eat on a daily basis then, without dairy, gluten, and sugar? I'm genuinely curious, is it meat and low-carb vegetables only?

I do eat a lot of grass fed meat and low carb veggies. But I also use unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened coconut milk, and I can get away with eating goat cheese without getting sick. To replace regular flour, I use almond flour, coconut flour and alternatives like that. There's a bakery near me that is dedicated gluten free, so that's helpful. I do eat some fruit, too. Yesterday, for a snack, I had a pear with a couple ounces goat cheese. I always eat whole fruit (more fiber) instead of juices. I try to eat my sugars with protein because it slows the digestion and doesn't spike insulin as much. Tonight for dinner, I'm making mediteranean chicken kabobs with brown rice. For lunch, I haf a homemade bean and bacon minestrone soup. There's really a lot I can eat when I use substitutions and make everything myself at home. It is very time consuming and expensive though, but worth it since I'm feeling lots better.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect. and you can become insulin resistant. Other things that can happen from eating these kinds of foods are:

its very bad for your teeth
    can over load your liver
    fatty liver disease (i have that)
    sugar can give you cancer
    sugar promotes fat, due to the effet on the brain and hormones
    highly addictive
    leading contributor to obesity
    raises cholesterol and risk heart disease

info from my dietitian and this website
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

No reputable dietitian would ever put someone on a 'no sugar' diet because unless you aren't eating fruits and vegetables, you are eating sugar. Chances are you saw a NUTRITIONIST who fed you this bologna. You've been seriously brainwashed.

You don't become insulin resistant simply by eating bread, sugar, and alcohol. It's much more complicated than that.

You don't get cancer from eating sugar, either.

Sugar doesn't cause obesity. Obesity is caused by overconsumption of ALL types of food.

You have fatty liver disease because you are almost 250 lbs overweight; not because you ate sugar.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect. and you can become insulin resistant. Other things that can happen from eating these kinds of foods are:

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

No reputable dietitian would ever put someone on a 'no sugar' diet because unless you aren't eating fruits and vegetables, you are eating sugar. Chances are you saw a NUTRITIONIST who fed you this bologna. You've been seriously brainwashed.

You don't become insulin resistant simply by eating bread, sugar, and alcohol. It's much more complicated than that.

Sugar doesn't cause obesity. Obesity is caused by overconsumption of ALL types of food.

You have fatty liver disease because you are almost 250 lbs overweight; not because you ate sugar.

yea well

tumblr_lvcm3ftozF1qbunx5.gif
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

yea well

tumblr_lvcm3ftozF1qbunx5.gif

9q8tv9tarsr9.gif
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have seen many arguments as to why one should cut out all sugar, and I simply not convinced. Right now, The Whole30 diet is super trendy (what half of the cool kids are doing) and you will come upon so many articles about the evils of sugar. How like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes are the root of all evil and cutting them out "will change your life." (quote from their website) http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
    So they encourage eating meat, veggies and good fats.

THEN, you come upon something like VB6 (Vegan before 6) that says that you should avoid most animal products and only have a *minimal* amount after 6 p.m. and eat vegan the rest of the day--Because it is *animal products* that are the root of all evil and they must be avoided at all cost.

Macrobiotics will tell you that grains are the center of the universe and fruit and fish should only be consumed occasionally - other animal products, never.

Paleo/caveman/CrossFit are literally Against All Grain, because, you know, THAT is what is making people fat/sick/ugly/undesirable.

The thing is, everybody is trying to push their angle. Everybody is trying to sell you something -- whether a book, clicks to their blog, pre-packaged foods, e-books, diet plans, coaching, life style.

And since there's so much competition, how is one supposed to secure a niche market? Well, tell them that your way is the way to skinny-jean-Nirvana! Demonize the others and charge for your wisdom!

I think most people feel like they have "tried" sensible eating and failed at reaching their goals, so they assume that there *must* be an unpaved path to easy (enough) weight loss. And that is the reason that so many people end up buying into these diets.

I think that if I base my diet on whole foods (for the most part), indulge occasionally, and practice moderation it is possible to achieve my goals. When I eat like that, I feel and look my best.

But my approach doesn't really sell books or gets me 10,000 IG followers so don't be hatin'

My point is, there's always going to be someone out there selling "The Answer to Fast Weight Loss" and now, avoidance diets are the cool (profitable) thing to sell.

I think that if you are generally in good health, there's no reason to deprive yourself of complete food groups (like fruits)

+1
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    5246be41c3519.gif
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    5246be41c3519.gif

You, sir, have a dirty mind. :#
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    5246be41c3519.gif

You, sir, have a dirty mind. :#

whoops, that's not a cat gif
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    Even if you were to cut carbs because of sugar, the body would just take fat and protein and turn it into glucose. Although cutting carbs and sugar is a really good idea! Just lower it until it works for you.

and you know the cool thing about your body making glucose out of protein? It makes as much glucose as you need and not an excess. Much lower risk than ingesting carbs in dosages that might be harmful to health and weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

I'd bet dollars to sugar laden donuts (that I eat in moderation) that this dietitian is a nutritionist. I will go double or nothing that it's actually a naturopath...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    JoshLibby wrote: »

and you know the cool thing about your body making glucose out of protein? It makes as much glucose as you need and not an excess. Much lower risk than ingesting carbs in dosages that might be harmful to health and weight.
    The way I understand it, gluconeogenesis a stress response to starvation...
This discussion has been closed.