For some, has avoiding fat been more effective than avoiding carbs for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got real lean on a low fat diet but I had excessive cravings and had to work out constantly. Back then the whole idea of low-carb dieting seemed ridiculous to me. I thought the idea of cutting out refined sugar was just hippy talk.

Now I keep my daily carb intake relatively low and try to avoid processed sugars as much as possible while still letting myself indulge. I increased my intake of fat significantly as well. Now I don't get cravings and eat only the calories I need to meet my goals. It has never been this easy in the 20 years I have been trying to stay fit. I can now live my life without feeling deprived.

I agree that weight loss is simply calories in / calories out, but the foods we eat vary in terms of satiation. Maybe there are people out there that can eat all the sugar and carbs they want and still remain fit. Recent studies have shown that doesn't work for most people. A handful of fitness fanatics on MFP who can burn through any kind of food is not representative of what works for the general population.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    I got real lean on a low fat diet but I had excessive cravings and had to work out constantly. Back then the whole idea of low-carb dieting seemed ridiculous to me. I thought the idea of cutting out refined sugar was just hippy talk.

Now I keep my daily carb intake relatively low and try to avoid processed sugars as much as possible while still letting myself indulge. I increased my intake of fat significantly as well. Now I don't get cravings and eat only the calories I need to meet my goals. It has never been this easy in the 20 years I have been trying to stay fit. I can now live my life without feeling deprived.

I agree that weight loss is simply calories in / calories out, but the foods we eat vary in terms of satiation. Maybe there are people out there that can eat all the sugar and carbs they want and still remain fit. Recent studies have shown that doesn't work for most people. A handful of fitness fanatics on MFP who can burn through any kind of food is not representative of what works for the general population.

What studies? Please link

Nobody here ever said they eat all the sugar and carbs they want

All I ever see is people saying they hit their macro and micro nutrient targets (the macros being protein and fats) and then can eat whatever they want to their calorie limit

I'm no fitness fanatic but I can accommodate any food within my diet if I am careful with my calories .. anybody could
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Avoiding food groups/entire macros is what made 80% of the time I spent dieting harder, mentally challenging and less efficient.
    I started adding back lots of good, nutritious carbs and healthy fats in my diet and while I wasn't even trying to lose anymore weight, I did naturally. I was feeling better, I had ridiculously more energy and a better mood/less prone to mood swings. Just because I was eating what I, what my body felt like eating (i've developped a habit of eating healthy and my cravings are as well so i never worry about accidentally falling in a pool of mcdonalds burgers), my general well-being improved and the pounds intuitively shed without needing me to be extra cautious and always so anxious about if i should eat this, or that, oh no not that. Eat. Enjoy it. Eat of everything, in moderation, and you'll be in the happiest, best shape of your life.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok, as another person with pcos, I have seen weight loss without cutting carbs. HOWEVER, if you are wanting to lose weight to regulate your cycle, and are looking to increase your fertility a large part of that is making sure you control your insulin levels as this will impact your levels of testosterone and DHEA and estrogen. I would imagine you want to lose weight for the same reasons I do which is to control the androgen hormone side effects such as excess hair etc. and we are looking to start a family.

A lot of the advice I have seen above is solid weight loss advice, but may not go a long way in helping you with the other side effects of having insulin resistance and hormones that are out of whack. Low carb, low glycemic index/load or medications are the only thing I know that will help.
  • sdraper2014
    Options
    I should also note, I have lost 40 lbs in the past and not regained my cycle by simply cutting calories. This time, doing low carb/low GI I have had my cycle all but one month since January which is when I started, and it happened pretty much right away before any significant weight loss.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You guys bashing sugar and fat can take a look at my diary entry from yesterday. I did Stronglifts 5x5 and a small amount of cycling (only about 150 calories), and even with all of what many consider "junk food" in my day, I won't gain an ounce (of fat; water is another story, but meh). Know why? Because I burned more than I consumed. That's how it works.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The fact of the matter is that people have been trying to pin down the "cause" of weight gain for many years. One day it's fat, the next day it's carbs, then it's gluten, then back to carbs again but only in the form of added sugars. Truthfully, the only thing that matters is calories, plain and simple.

You need to invest in a food scale. Get one on Amazon or Wal-Mart for $10-15. Use it to log your calories as accurately as possible. Work on finding a macronutrient balance that keeps you feeling satiated. For some, high-carb/low-fat works best. For others, low-carb/high-fat works best. For a lot of people, a more balanced approach works best.

One macronutrient is not going to impact your weight loss. It comes down to your overall caloric intake.

I use a food scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons, etc. Thats what made this all so fascinating. I measured my food the exact same way when I did eat paleo/whole 30 and lost more weight when I was eating grains and more carbohydrates. That's why I was curious if anyone else had found their macros mattered but in the way of fat rather than carbs.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eating higher fat, moderate protein, and under 100grams of carbs per day help me stay in a deficit, have clear skin, and a happy gut. High carbs and low fat cause me to struggle with keeping the deficit, destroy my skin, give me a stomach ache and a bad attitude. I believe macro needs are individual, but you definitely want to be getting good fats in your diet for overall health.
    This chart explains what those good fats and oils are and which to avoid:
    Edit: I can't get that image to show up here, so here's the link to it:
    https://eatingrules.com/Cooking-Oil-Comparison-Chart_02-22-12.pdf
  • sdraper2014
    Options
    Yeah, sugar is not the devil, and calories in vs calories out is the main cause of weight gain. But posting that it doesn't matter to do low carb to someone who very likely suffers from insulin resistance as a result of pcos isn't really helpful for their medical condition. It is just a fact that for diabetics and those with insulin resistance the number of carbs matter as it impacts their insulin response.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Yeah, sugar is not the devil, and calories in vs calories out is the main cause of weight gain. But posting that it doesn't matter to do low carb to someone who very likely suffers from insulin resistance as a result of pcos isn't really helpful for their medical condition. It is just a fact that for diabetics and those with insulin resistance the number of carbs matter as it impacts their insulin response.

or wait until there's an actual real life medical diagnosis of IR before jumping on a bandwagon?
  • sdraper2014
    Options
    Maybe the OP doesn't have insulin resistance, but since they go hand in hand and the majority of people with one have the other, something to consider.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Maybe the OP doesn't have insulin resistance, but since they go hand in hand and the majority of people with one have the other, something to consider.

And PCOS is often misdiagnosed as it's a diagnosis of exclusions .. it was for me
  • sdraper2014
    Options
    Yeah, but if the op says they have it, and a doctor diagnosed her, I am not going to undiagnosed her over the internet because she lost weight eating carbs. I will assume the diagnosis is correct and give advice in line with sound medical advice I have received for the same condition.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    IR does not automatically mean you have to eat LCHF. You can eat carbs and still lose weight with PCOS and IR. You just have to be mindful and moderate them.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Yeah, but if the op says they have it, and a doctor diagnosed her, I am not going to undiagnosed her over the internet because she lost weight eating carbs. I will assume the diagnosis is correct and give advice in line with sound medical advice I have received for the same condition.

and additionally diagnose her with IR?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The fact of the matter is that people have been trying to pin down the "cause" of weight gain for many years. One day it's fat, the next day it's carbs, then it's gluten, then back to carbs again but only in the form of added sugars. Truthfully, the only thing that matters is calories, plain and simple.
    You need to invest in a food scale. Get one on Amazon or Wal-Mart for $10-15. Use it to log your calories as accurately as possible. Work on finding a macronutrient balance that keeps you feeling satiated. For some, high-carb/low-fat works best. For others, low-carb/high-fat works best. For a lot of people, a more balanced approach works best.

One macronutrient is not going to impact your weight loss. It comes down to your overall caloric intake.

This^

Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition......it's calories, calories, calories. I'm fat because my portions are too big.

Pick something you can sustain for a lifetime. Weight loss is just half the battle.....maintenance is the other half. Maintenance is the part so may people fail at miserably.
  • sdraper2014
    Options
    Maybe she doesn't have it, I was pretty clear before maybe she doesn't, but what do you think the likely hood that she does is? 40% end up with it and the best way to avoid developing it is to manage it properly. I didn't say she had to eat low carb, I did say eating whatever she likes and not worrying about the carbs or its impact on insulin as Long as it is within your calories may not not be the best advice for someone with this condition. That is all.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What in the what is going on in this thread??

Kudos to the few in this thread wading through all the derp to give good advice.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    ^^This!!