For some, has avoiding fat been more effective than avoiding carbs for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Being attracted to whole, healthy foods is an acquired thing. Human nature wants to eat what it wants to derive pleasure from it. That's OK to a degree, but just read the labels and see all of the chemicals and crap that is filling up processed foods. The nitrates and nitrites are cancer fiends and are best left out of your body. Spicy meats have the nitrites/nitrates in them. Some say rice is bad but I use whole grain brown rice and quinoa with 3 oz chicken for lunch most days. It helps on the days I have trouble with getting in enough calories. Peanut butter helps, too.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    Avoiding anything doesn't make you lose weight better or faster. Eat a calorie deficit. Try to meet your macros. Enjoy life.
    That's just the point; how can you enjoy life if you are unhealthy from eating manufactured garbage?

Well, I'd argue with this point, but it really just isn't worth it. Maybe someone else will.

D6kOFM5.gif
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You guys bashing sugar and fat can take a look at my diary entry from yesterday. I did Stronglifts 5x5 and a small amount of cycling (only about 150 calories), and even with all of what many consider "junk food" in my day, I won't gain an ounce (of fat; water is another story, but meh). Know why? Because I burned more than I consumed. That's how it works.

Let me guess...you don't have PCOS.

PCOS doesn't break the laws of physics.

It's more like chemistry, actually.

Chemistry obeys the laws of physics too. Everything does. Energy can't be created or destroyed, every action requires energy. Nothing on this planet can change that.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    emmaps55 wrote: »
    Proving that CICO is worthless when it comes to real health and helpful advice.

No, actually, it's the ONLY thing that works. You prefer lying to people?
    CICO works if weight loss is the only goal.

Thankfully it's shown that losing weight improves your health. All in one wash.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You guys bashing sugar and fat can take a look at my diary entry from yesterday. I did Stronglifts 5x5 and a small amount of cycling (only about 150 calories), and even with all of what many consider "junk food" in my day, I won't gain an ounce (of fat; water is another story, but meh). Know why? Because I burned more than I consumed. That's how it works.

Chemistry obeys the laws of physics too. Everything does. Energy can't be created or destroyed, every action requires energy. Nothing on this planet can change that.
    GARBAGE IN/GARBAGE OUT is also a law of physics. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

I wouldn't recommend eating out of a garbage can. That's unsanitary.
    Foods made with "processed" oil, white sugar, flour, rice, ect? Those aren't garbage, and can be incorporated into a balanced intake.

Edit: additionally, I would recommend you make your own thread on this topic at this point. You continue to hijack the OP's post to post this kind of commentary. Your best bet is to make your own post, so people can continue to discuss the original topic on hand here.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

You mad bro?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Why are you yelling?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Garbage sources in/garbage (mis)information out. The way of the avi-less warriors
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Currently I am an apple. Perhaps later this afternoon I will be a marshmallow. For dinner, I shall be chicken buffalo dip.
    image.png?w=400&c=1
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Currently I am an apple. Perhaps later this afternoon I will be a marshmallow. For dinner, I shall be chicken buffalo dip.
    image.png?w=400&c=1

Yeah, well:

tumblr_lxyusdfE0u1qdhswoo1_500.jpg
  • stevencloser
    Options
    emmaps55 wrote: »
    Rabbitjb -- perhaps we are dealing with semantics. I will agree that CICO is a 4 Laws of Thermodynamics fact when it comes to machines -- but when it comes to weight loss it is almost meaningless, because so many factors (which you yourself mention: hormones, bacteria, medicine etc) affect how our bodies respond.

74% of variation in basal metabolic rate is accounted for by lean body mass, fat mass, height, and gender, in that order (with lean body mass by itself being over 60%). Some of the rest is accounted for by "after burn" from regular exercise--really, no more than 15% at most is down to individual differences that aren't easily predictable.

Something like 90% of the calories burned in exercise break down to distance, speed, time, and weight.

This ends up being a "slosh" of no more than 300 calories a day, excluding REALLY EXTREME DISORDERS that few people have (and almost all of those disorder cause weight loss rather than gain).

Proof of that.
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11869-012-0193-4

It's measured in Joule in that thing for some reason, but anyway. The highest TDEE they found out of over 200 groups with a total of over 6000 participants was 3200-ish in a guy, and 2500-ish in a woman. Wish you could see more than just the abstract for free, maybe they list the lowest they got too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

image.png?w=400&c=1

Yeah, well:

tumblr_lxyusdfE0u1qdhswoo1_500.jpg

Only if I were kosher. Mmm. I usually prefer to be chicken sausage (also an option for dinner).
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Why are you yelling?

mvkehh26leuq.jpg
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I believe one also has to take genetics into focus as well as what or what not to eat. Some people have the genes of a jackrabbit and can eat Yorkie bars and still stay thin. Others, like me, LOOK at a Yorkie and gain 3 lbs. My father was obese, his mother was obese, I blimped out first and over the years my sister and brother followed the genetic pattern. Some of us can eat processed foods and others can't tolerate them. I know someone that can't eat anything processed or she gets sick. She eats only whole foods and is leaning towards vegetarianism. Every body is unique and has different needs. The only way to be successful is to follow certain rules and observe how the body responds.

Actually, they don't. Numerous studies have shown that people who think they don't eat anything and gain weight are lying to themselves--both about how much they eat and how active they are. Studies which involve feeding people don't show this variation.
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    MamaBirdBoss: "This is the FIRST TIME you've ever done what actually works: consistently eating a deficit. Why look for magic unicorn farts when the answer is right in front of you?"

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I never said this is the first time I have consistently eaten at a deficit. In fact, I have done that many times before. And I have lost some weight, albeit incredibly slowly and never to what the deficit said I should.

What I said was this is the first time I have done these additional other things (no grains, no processed foods, and probiotics) and finding that -- despite being a decade older and in menopause -- weight is coming off much faster than it ever has before and far more than the deficit would indicate.

Sounds like a magic unicorn fart to me!

• sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For sure, I use a combination of cico and low carb/low GI diet. It would be useless to do one without the other to address all of my symptoms. If she is lucky she won't have any of the more obnoxious side effects, but I am willing to bet some of them are what prompted her to get diagnosed, it was for me!

Still didn't stop me from having a bite of chocolate cake at lunch today though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

Might want to check out the Clean Eating group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

image.png?w=400&c=1

Oh, dear. I had some piggie and some veggies for lunch. Am I a pig or a vegetable? Thank goodness I didn't have those nuts I almost had.

And WHY am I being insulted!