I could eat and eat and eat

Options
tiggernic
tiggernic Posts: 59 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
coming to the end of my third week of changing my life style and have done very well all day but now all I can think about is food, I've had a bag of crisps which is not the end of the world and I've actually stopped myself having chocolate but after three weeks of doing so well where do these cravings come from? I'm sure there's some science behind it but I feel Like their little demons that creep up on you and leave no room for healthy thoughts just the feeling of want. The feeling is so stronge and this is the point at which I usually fall off the waggon so to speak, but while typing this out I know I want a better lifestyle more. So coffee as sub followed by a glass of water and to bed I shall go and be proud of myself in the morning lol.!

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have set your goal to loose 2 pounds a week and are not exercising. Start getting some exercise in even if it is just a walk around the block in the evening. It will help take your mind off of food and will give you some exercise calories to eat back. Also consider moving your goal to 1-1.5 pounds a week.

It looks like you do a great job with your diary. Maybe can sub in some things are are not so calorie dense for things that will let you feel like you are getting a bigger meal. And have some chocolate. I keep a bag of semi sweet morsels around the house. A 10 gram little serving is only about 50 calories and really helps to curb that need for chocolate.
  • tiggernic
    Options
    Assuming you have set your goal to loose 2 pounds a week and are not exercising. Start getting some exercise in even if it is just a walk around the block in the evening. It will help take your mind off of food and will give you some exercise calories to eat back. Also consider moving your goal to 1-1.5 pounds a week.

It looks like you do a great job with your diary. Maybe can sub in some things are are not so calorie dense for things that will let you feel like you are getting a bigger meal. And have some chocolate. I keep a bag of semi sweet morsels around the house. A 10 gram little serving is only about 50 calories and really helps to curb that need for chocolate.

I have changed my weight loss target to 1 1/2 per week now that I'm in to the third week. I try to plan my meals on a Sunday so don't have to think about what to have. I think main thing different today was the excercise from Sunday to Wednesday I've exercised or been to the park and played footy and tennis kid style but today not so much kind of fell back into me, sofa and tv.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think you are hungry because the foods you are choosing aren't very much food for the calories. Eat quite a lot more veggies and fruit and lean meat.
  • tiggernic
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    You are always thinking about and craving food because you are malnourished. Cravings are a sign of your body screaming for some food. Crisps and chocolate are not food. Food nourishes the body but crisps and chocolate have no nutritional value except empty calories. Your body will always be hungry when you eat garbage because it will never get the nutrients it needs. Try eating real, nutrient dense foods and you will find your cravings go away.
    CICO is an idiotic way to lose weight because it does not take into account the nutrients you require to live and stay healthy. It is possible to lose a great deal of weight and be sicker than when you started. Forget about the scale and concentrate on eating your fill of real food.

Sorry what is cico? What sort of food would you suggest?
  • tiggernic
    Options
    T
    I think you are hungry because the foods you are choosing aren't very much food for the calories. Eat quite a lot more veggies and fruit and lean meat.

thank you for your comment, looking back at my diary the first 2 weeks I was having hummus with carrots cucumber and peppers and wasn't hungry. So will address my meal planner
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    CICO: calories in/calories out. You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. You don't get hungry and you nourish your body by choosing foods that are nutrient dense and bulky. You nourish your soul by weighing out your chocolate and enjoying it without guilt.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Too agressive, so ood you changed it to avoid binging. if you cnat manage 1.5 then go to 1. What you can sustain is the most importnat thing.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    CICO is Calories In < Calories Out - and it's not an "idotic way to lose weight" it's how you lose weight - you eat less calories than you take in. You can lose weight just by doing that alone. Every fad diet that has had any sort of success has followed this, whether they acknowledge it or not.

MFP functions primarily under this concept.

As for always being hungry, I agree with SherryTeach. "Calorie-dense" foods sometimes leave us feeling a little empty. It's like eating 190 calories in cheese versus 190 in Rice Krispy Treats. Sure, they both will fill up our calorie allotment equally, but the Rice Krispy Treats are probably not going to last as long (for the purposes of feeling "full") than the cheese will. Even better, 190 calories in lean-meat like chicken breast might actually feel like too much food at the time.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    I'm wondering if having the majority of your calories come from skim milk, hamburgers, and chips is keeping you full?
  • tiggernic
    Options
    CICO: calories in/calories out. You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. You don't get hungry and you nourish your body by choosing foods that are nutrient dense and bulky. You nourish your soul by weighing out your chocolate and enjoying it without guilt.

Thank you for bringing me up to speed with the lingo, so 2 areas to look at
    1 bring healthy filling food in to meal planner
    2 plan a little bit of something nice
    Will readdress the shopping list
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    You are always thinking about and craving food because you are malnourished. Cravings are a sign of your body screaming for some food. Crisps and chocolate are not food. Food nourishes the body but crisps and chocolate have no nutritional value except empty calories. Your body will always be hungry when you eat garbage because it will never get the nutrients it needs. Try eating real, nutrient dense foods and you will find your cravings go away.
    CICO is an idiotic way to lose weight because it does not take into account the nutrients you require to live and stay healthy. It is possible to lose a great deal of weight and be sicker than when you started. Forget about the scale and concentrate on eating your fill of real food.

I would personally disregard this. Chocolate and crisps have the same macro nutrients as any other food. Get your protein and fats first fill up the rest with your carbs. Be happy about your food.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i also think you crave things sometimes...that time of the month, stress triggers, etc. It's a continual battle. Keep logging and try to make better choices. You can do it.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Definitely up the protein and up the veggies too. When I eat a big plate of steamed broccoli paired with 4 ounces of pork tenderloin or chicken breast, I am full for a good while. That kind of meal is high on nutrients, fills me up, and doesn't break the calorie bank. I don't know that you necessarily need a professional "meal planner" to do this. Chicken, pork tenderloin, canned tuna, sirloin steak, all types of steamed and roasted veggies, and smaller amounts of fruit, lean dairy, and whole grains. You can experiment and work out a way to get a lot of food into your calorie budget.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Edited because I see your question was already answered
  • tiggernic
    Options
    I'm wondering if having the majority of your calories come from skim milk, hamburgers, and chips is keeping you full?

Yes looking at today's diary it is a wee bit lacking. Although very enjoyable but not filling. I do realise my milk allowance is high but this is a conscious decision to have with cereal and coffee through out the day although I have started to drink black coffee to reduce the amount. (I do love my coffee). Better choices for better results
  • tiggernic
    Options
    T
    999tigger wrote: »
    Too agressive, so ood you changed it to avoid binging. if you cnat manage 1.5 then go to 1. What you can sustain is the most importnat thing.

hank you for you comments
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I like to have a piece of dark chocolate every now & then. I had 3 dark Hersey kisses today @20/cal ea. Very satisfying on the tongue. (& yea, def up the protein/fat it helps satiety).
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Bill doesn't know what he's talking about...

But use more exercise to reach your deficits, and you'll be way happier. :)
  • tiggernic
    Options
    Definitely up the protein and up the veggies too. When I eat a big plate of steamed broccoli paired with 4 ounces of pork tenderloin or chicken breast, I am full for a good while. That kind of meal is high on nutrients, fills me up, and doesn't break the calorie bank. I don't know that you necessarily need a professional "meal planner" to do this. Chicken, pork tenderloin, canned tuna, sirloin steak, all types of steamed and roasted veggies, and smaller amounts of fruit, lean dairy, and whole grains. You can experiment and work out a way to get a lot of food into your calorie budget.

Lol, when I say meal planner I mean me and a post it note to jot down ideas for tea so I don't have to think about it again, but better planning of the food I'm eating and not just using up calories thank you for you advise