I could eat and eat and eat

Options
2»

Replies

• tiggernic
    tiggernic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bill doesn't know what he's talking about...

But use more exercise to reach your deficits, and you'll be way happier. :)

Thank you on both counts

• tiggernic
    Options
    I like to have a piece of dark chocolate every now & then. I had 3 dark Hersey kisses today @20/cal ea. Very satisfying on the tongue. (& yea, def up the protein/fat it helps satiety).

Thank you and I do like dark chocolate haven't heard of Hersey kisses but I'm sure I could find them!
  • tiggernic
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    i also think you crave things sometimes...that time of the month, stress triggers, etc. It's a continual battle. Keep logging and try to make better choices. You can do it.

Thank you and I will
  • tiggernic
    Options
    CICO is Calories In < Calories Out - and it's not an "idotic way to lose weight" it's how you lose weight - you eat less calories than you take in. You can lose weight just by doing that alone. Every fad diet that has had any sort of success has followed this, whether they acknowledge it or not.

MFP functions primarily under this concept.

As for always being hungry, I agree with SherryTeach. "Calorie-dense" foods sometimes leave us feeling a little empty. It's like eating 190 calories in cheese versus 190 in Rice Krispy Treats. Sure, they both will fill up our calorie allotment equally, but the Rice Krispy Treats are probably not going to last as long (for the purposes of feeling "full") than the cheese will. Even better, 190 calories in lean-meat like chicken breast might actually feel like too much food at the time.

Thank you, I am happy that I asked as it has opened my eyes to were I am going wrong and I will certainly re look at how I use my calories going forward .
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I saw this or exactly what it said, but I once read that true hunger is something that builds up slowly, while emotional hunger is something more instantaneous, something that just hits you and may seem to come out of nowhere.

Now as a former emotional eater, I can see how that idea seems ludicrous. You couldn't have told me then that emotional hunger wasn't real hunger, but I think it's really a matter of hunger for something else channeled into food, which makes it feel like you're starving. As for the second part of the idea, emotional hunger used to seem to build for me, but looking back I can see it differently. The hunger would hit in situations where I couldn't eat, and then I would feed it (pun not intended, but appreciated anyway!) by thinking about what I was going to eat.

Forgive me if I'm way off here. I think it was what you said about demons that made me think of all this. Anyway I think the idea is that if you can recognize when you're truly hungry vs. emotionally hungry, you can make better choices (and even more so if you can figure out what you're really wanting when you're emotionally hungry).
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Obviously, everyone seems to have their own ideas about the "best way" to lose weight. I think the only universally accepted idea is that you have to find a way that works for you in the long term. Your diet and exercise habits have to be sustainable for years to come. You are going to have ups and downs, times where you completely succumb to temptation, and you just have to pick yourself up and start again the next day.

When I was younger, I got so caught up in doing it the "right" way that I was either paralyzed or I did too much too soon and gave up. I have found that--for me--making one change at a time is the best way to go. First, I started walking. Then, a few months later, I started counting calories. I was shocked at what I saw, so after a few weeks I started improving my diet (fewer carbs, more protein works for me). Only recently have I started adding in running.

You've started, that's the most important thing. It will all get better from here. Try to be patient. I also recommend reading the Success Stories for inspiration, motivation, and valuable diet and exercise information.
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too this week, but could swear it's PMS.
  • tiggernic
    Options
    I can't remember where I saw this or exactly what it said, but I once read that true hunger is something that builds up slowly, while emotional hunger is something more instantaneous, something that just hits you and may seem to come out of nowhere.

Now as a former emotional eater, I can see how that idea seems ludicrous. You couldn't have told me then that emotional hunger wasn't real hunger, but I think it's really a matter of hunger for something else channeled into food, which makes it feel like you're starving. As for the second part of the idea, emotional hunger used to seem to build for me, but looking back I can see it differently. The hunger would hit in situations where I couldn't eat, and then I would feed it (pun not intended, but appreciated anyway!) by thinking about what I was going to eat.

Forgive me if I'm way off here. I think it was what you said about demons that made me think of all this. Anyway I think the idea is that if you can recognize when you're truly hungry vs. emotionally hungry, you can make better choices (and even more so if you can figure out what you're really wanting when you're emotionally hungry).

Thank you for your comment Ive read it a couple of times over and when I think back to last night it was a sudden feeling that was so overwhelming it was a want not a need. So I guess together with picking filling food I need to. ID the want which I think is going to be a lot harder than the food.
  • tiggernic
    Options
    kerricus wrote: »
    Obviously, everyone seems to have their own ideas about the "best way" to lose weight. I think the only universally accepted idea is that you have to find a way that works for you in the long term. Your diet and exercise habits have to be sustainable for years to come. You are going to have ups and downs, times where you completely succumb to temptation, and you just have to pick yourself up and start again the next day.

When I was younger, I got so caught up in doing it the "right" way that I was either paralyzed or I did too much too soon and gave up. I have found that--for me--making one change at a time is the best way to go. First, I started walking. Then, a few months later, I started counting calories. I was shocked at what I saw, so after a few weeks I started improving my diet (fewer carbs, more protein works for me). Only recently have I started adding in running.

You've started, that's the most important thing. It will all get better from here. Try to be patient. I also recommend reading the Success Stories for inspiration, motivation, and valuable diet and exercise information.

Thank you for you comments and with the support from here I am hopeful this time to make the changes in my life for life
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I get those weeks where I just want to eat! I find it is linked to my 'cycle'; there are two weeks I can count like clock work where I will just want to eat and eat. Knowing that has made it much easier to control it! And it isn't just 'food' I want, it is sugar and ice cream and chocolate and all the naughty things that are calorie loaded!

The thing that helps me most is pre-planning EVERYTHING when I am in these moods. Saying 'I will eat X at X time' and forcing myself to stick to it. If I feel like I can't control the craving, I will go for a run or do something active to take my mind off it, preferably out of the house and away from food. I also try to leave calories left over, so if I do give in and have a double chocolate chip cookie, it is not the end of the world!

Another thing that helps me during these times is to balance out my calories throughout the week rather than the day; so if I over eat by 500 calories one day, I will stick to my normal daily plan, but try and go for an extra long run to burn an extra couple of hundred that day, and the next, to get rid of it.

Good luck :)
  • tiggernic
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/dispatch/mobile/user/NoIdea101NoIdea/profile/NoIdea101NoIdea
    thank you for your comments. I do find planning is a major part of staying in control as it is a lack of control that usually sees my hard work go to waste
  • lorislosingit
    lorislosingit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiggernic! Sometimes, I just need to feel "full". Maybe it's mental, I don't know. That's when I need to eat a big bowl of salad (with heftier greens in it- like kale or cabbage) - I feel full, but I don't blow my calorie budget. Other foods that help are baked beans, avocados, sweet potatoes - stuff like that. I'm working on keeping that stuff on hand at all times, so if I'm still hungry, I'll make healthier choices.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Definitely up the protein and up the veggies too. When I eat a big plate of steamed broccoli paired with 4 ounces of pork tenderloin or chicken breast, I am full for a good while. That kind of meal is high on nutrients, fills me up, and doesn't break the calorie bank. I don't know that you necessarily need a professional "meal planner" to do this. Chicken, pork tenderloin, canned tuna, sirloin steak, all types of steamed and roasted veggies, and smaller amounts of fruit, lean dairy, and whole grains. You can experiment and work out a way to get a lot of food into your calorie budget.

I just wanted to say that this has helped me so much. I eat 4oz of lean meet and fill the rest of my plate with veggies and I not only have so much more energy than I did before but I feel brighter. I would suggest eating small meals over the day. I eat 4 times a day about 3 hours apart. 4 oz of chicken 1/2 cup rice 2/3 cup of mixed veggies the norm for me. After 3 or 4 hours I'm not hungry but it is time to eat again. Always having energy and never being hungry, who can complain. Yesterday my mom cooked bacon. I was able to just enjoy the smell and had no desire to have a piece.

As for exercise, establish that habit as soon as you can. It can definitely help your emotional outlook.
  • Rachel_Virginia_
    Rachel_Virginia_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    chocolate chip and white chocolate macadamia nut cliff bars. taste like a candy bar super filling because of the protein :)