Clean Eating Question

Options
Ok so I'd really like to give this a go since my neighbor has been doing it. She has lost 15 pounds and 20 inches in 5 weeks. If I do this and get to goal could I slowly add in a few things I used to like as long as I stay at my maintaining calorie range? I'm just wondering if I'll ever be able to eat out again or enjoy things at holidays with the family. I just wouldn't want to lose it all just to gain it all back if I'd slip into old habits if I felt I was always depriving myself. I need to lose at least 80 pounds but my goal is 100. Suggestions, opinions, and advise wanted! Thank you.

Replies

• ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Some clean eating advocates also promote the 80/20 rule, where you eat clean 80 percent of the time and can eat and drink a bit rougher 20 percent of the time. :) generally, though, if you feel so deprived just thinking about It that you're already thinking of cheating on it, it might not bethe right plan for you to hit goal with....
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat clean 90% of the time, but still allow myself to dine out and indulge in things occasionally.. usually if I'm really craving something or am out with friends, typically like 2-3 times a month. You can lose weight either way, all that really matters is making sure you have a calorie deficit. So just log your food religiously, stay in a deficit, and slowly eliminate processed foods.. this is how I did it.
  • mellymay5
    mellymay5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It isn't as hard as it sounds and after you clean your body you lose a lot of the cravings for the foods you think you couldn't live without. 80/20 allows you to still indulge on occasion but you will want real foods more often. I was amazed at how much better real food tastes after you get rid of the junk.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So, how do you guys define clean?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    And how do you define real food?
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. That's what my neighbor told me. She said that she doesn't even crave the pop anymore which I'm not a pop drinker anyway.
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you, but calorie deficit, not eating "clean" is how your neighbor lost weight. Now, eating clean might have accidentally caused a deficit, but in the end, that's all that really happened
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you don't really want to do this. You want to lose the weight like your neighbor, but you're hesitant to give up foods you love. There is no reason to - if you stay in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. If you're really serious about "clean" eating, go for it, but I wouldn't do it just because you saw someone else's results.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?
  • mantium999
    Options
    mellymay5 wrote: »
    It isn't as hard as it sounds and after you clean your body you lose a lot of the cravings for the foods you think you couldn't live without. 80/20 allows you to still indulge on occasion but you will want real foods more often. I was amazed at how much better real food tastes after you get rid of the junk.

What constitutes real and junk?
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options
    It sounds like you don't really want to do this. You want to lose the weight like your neighbor, but you're hesitant to give up foods you love. There is no reason to - if you stay in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. If you're really serious about "clean" eating, go for it, but I wouldn't do it just because you saw someone else's results.

Thanks. Yeah your right. I feel like I wouldn't be able to put my all into this diet. I was even thinking about doing a meatless Monday and maybe one clean eating meal a day and healthier snacks. And possibly later add a few days a week where I do the clean eating thing. I think that sounds more approachable
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited June 2015
    Options

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Potato chips evidently come from potatoes, good carb, right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

I think she means clean good food like veggies, fruits, and leaner meats as real food and junk as in 'junk foods' like cookies, icecream, and such. I Hope That The Cravings For Those Foods Will lesson as I go on In this journey
  • mantium999
    Options

What is a bad carb?

Expand please. Chips get their carbs from a vegetable, and fats from oils. How is this a bad carb?
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options

What is a bad carb?

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Potato chips evidently come from potatoes, good carb, right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either
  • mantium999
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

I think she means clean good food like veggies, fruits, and leaner meats as real food and junk as in 'junk foods' like cookies, icecream, and such. I Hope That The Cravings For Those Foods Will lesson as I go on In this journey

She didn't say junk, I was asking you. If I have ice cream made from "real" things like dairy, cane sugar, and maybe a fruit or berry, is that junk?
This discussion has been closed.