Yes, this is GROSS but can POO SWAPPING become an answer to our ''fat battle prayers''???

I've come across this idea some time ago and here is a link that sheds some light on the concept:

http://www.emaxhealth.com/8782/thin-people-poop-may-become-obesity-cure

Before the debate starts and I get accused of spreading some ''woo science'' around, I want to assure you that I follow the classic principle of CICO along with moderate but regular and consistent exercise regime. I am more than happy with results and I am not going to change much (though I think I should start lifting:))
HOWEVER - I always wondered, how comes that two siblings, following the same diet with similar activity level can be remotely different in terms of weight. For some time I was attached to the theory of ''body types'' which made sense to me, but as soon as I had mentioned it here I got told off:)

I'm sure that all of you know people who seem to be eating a lot but stay skinny and vice versa - the others ( like myself) keep absorbing fat from air :)))

This is how I came across that theory that it might be due to more or less ''efficient'' bacterias living in our guts and swapping them over could solve our ''fat issues'' forever???

Have you heard of it? What do you think? Any professionals out there with some scientific/medical background to support/discredit the idea???

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    ehh.... I don't believe all the hype with it. It's interesting research, I will say that. But I want to know was standing around a lab going " I wonder what will happen if I take poop from Person A and put it in Person B" :D
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Never done much research on the topic, but I have heard several fairly reliable source speak highly of the positive effects of "efficient" gut bacterias.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    I don't care what the results are. I am not poo swapping with anyone. I will just have to suffer.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm sure that all of you know people who seem to be eating a lot but stay skinny

For years, I was one of those. People saw me eating (mainly my coworkers) and kept commenting on how much I ate, but what people didn't see was the massive amount of exercise I was doing. I was cycling 10,000 km/year + walking a lot + skiing and snowshoeing in winter + weight lifting and taking yoga classes. I cycled to and from work ... I walked at lunch ... and I spent hours each evening and on the weekend being active.

So ... next time you assume that someone is just magically skinny, you might inquire what they did on the weekend. :)

And as for this idea ... no thank you.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I don't know what it is, but am fairly confident that it will not be the answer to anything for me.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    zpq1v9ioy5b0.jpg

I don't want anyone's poop anywhere near me, nor will I be offering up my poop to anyone else.
  • Kalikel
    zpq1v9ioy5b0.jpg

I don't want anyone's poop anywhere near me, nor will I be offering up my poop to anyone else.

Oh, I will. If anyone wants my poop, it's yours for the low, low price of 9.99, plus shipping. Free local delivery!
  • missiontofitness
    Kalikel wrote: »
    zpq1v9ioy5b0.jpg

Oh, I will. If anyone wants my poop, it's yours for the low, low price of 9.99, plus shipping. Free local delivery!

I think there are already businesses where you can have poop delivered to people's doors...except it's cow poop, and you usually do it to someone you don't like.
  • Kalikel
    zpq1v9ioy5b0.jpg

I think there are already businesses where you can have poop delivered to people's doors...except it's cow poop, and you usually do it to someone you don't like.
    Lol! I would never waste money on something like that when it could be given to people who need it, BUT it's kind of funny to think about. A little crazy, but funny. :)
  • missiontofitness
    zpq1v9ioy5b0.jpg

Lol! I would never waste money on something like that when it could be given to people who need it, BUT it's kind of funny to think about. A little crazy, but funny. :)

Haha, I'd also wonder how legal that is...and those poor mailmen/FedEx drivers!
  • Kalikel
    edited June 2015
    zpq1v9ioy5b0.jpg

Haha, I'd also wonder how legal that is...and those poor mailmen/FedEx drivers!
    I sell my clothes on eBay (I go through them so fast!) and the post office always asks if it contains hazmat...I wondering that includes poo!

Someone bought some that I must mail tomorrow. I'm going to ask. :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    I've been reading about this recently - there's some very interesting research going on. There's a nice little TED talk here : https://www.ted.com/talks/rob_knight_how_our_microbes_make_us_who_we_are? .

I'm hoping that if gut flora proves to be the answer (or at least, the answer for a group of people whose gut flora is disordered), there might be some way to improve it other than faecal transplantation (other methods are being looked at, I believe). It might not be a "forever" answer though, as perhaps certain illnesses or courses of antibiotics could interfere with the bacteria.
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    I have read several studies regarding this in the last year or so, super interesting reading.
    Here is a similar one with dogs http://m.phys.org/news/2014-12-explores-role-gut-bacteria-obesity.html
    Poo swapping sounds so gross...fecal transplants not so bad. Seriously though, with the number of insane things people do in the name of weight loss is it really beyond imagining?
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Agree the research is fascinating but I suspect that considering obesity can be the result of of a multitude of problematic contributors - cultural, psychological as well as physical. it won't be an all encompassing obesity solver in much the same way that the discovery of Leptin turned out not to be.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    I think its something to do with the flora and fauna of the digestive system that's why the twins are so distinct if I'm not wrong. The poo swapping idea seems extremely disgusting to most but then again if you think about it we ingest far worse things - the prawns we eat have their digestive sacs still attached with naturally, their poo, and we eat that. When we eat soft shell crab, anchovies, or use fermented sauces made from things like fish, we are ingesting their poo and innards and everything all ground up and rotted. We eat plenty of insects and rodents from the factory processes that allow for a percentage of these things to fall into our foods and drinks in factories because the industry is very practical about 'accidents' - you can't throw away millions of dollars of stock just because a cockroach fell into your soda vat and dissolved into the mixture, which you drink. We ingest mouldy cheese, many with insects having crawled around it no matter how 'hygenic, none of which we can vouch for anyway so we eat away in bliss.

So I guess its about perspective.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Well dogs like to eat poop and a lot of them a pretty thin, so it must work. Right?
  • missiontofitness
    Well dogs like to eat poop and a lot of them a pretty thin, so it must work. Right?

Oh god. If you had to eat poop to do this.....I'm gagging.

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Have any of you seen the movie called 'The Human Centipede'? I was never the same again. Have PTSD.
  • missiontofitness
    faithyang wrote: »
    Have any of you seen the movie called 'The Human Centipede'?

r1zau8h1wzcy.jpg

WHY.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Koala's feed their infants poop to make sure they get the appropriate bacteria to be able to digest Eucalyptus leaves properly. Other animals do it if they have a nutrient deficiency; it's not unknown in nature.

Getting proper gut flora by poop transplant in humans is actually done, just not orally (bleuargh). Gastroenterologists jokingly call them transpoosions, and do it to help with a variety of gut disorders. What I would like to know is, how do you know if someone is a worthy donor, and how to you convince them to donate O_o

In regards to your question though, I don't think it's even part of an answer, unless a person is habitually eating because of constant nutrient deficiency due to poor gut absorption.