adipex - diet pill

Options

Replies

• TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JaneLane33 wrote: »
    I've never taken it and probably never will. I'm already a slightly anxious person anyway so I imagine it would make me climbing the walls anxious.
    I also wanted to say the the name reminds of the adipose Doctor Who episode. so all I can think of is super cute little aliens. The Fat Just Walks Away

ADIPOSE!

4gtrehznzgof.jpg
  • TNoire
    Options
    On a serious note since im one of the people that took the drug and experienced super $#$KJ# attitude, high blood pressure and lost 156lbs total then gained it back. Still fighting to bring my blood pressure down almost 5 years later. (had my math wrong earlier sorry)

All I have to say whatever you decide to do, its up to you, listen or don't listen, so many of us that have posted in this forum have been on it we have experienced bad results. Some of us like myself still fighting those bad results to this day.

Like it was said in a earlier post: Those that are supporting the choice to take it are those that are on the drug currently and having success but haven't experienced the failure that comes with going off it. It's not easy once your body don't have that speed anymore to keep everything running on a "HIGH" level.

Just warning you and telling you, if I was you, run away from it NOW before you disappoint yourself in the results later. Cause its not something you can stay on forever.

The healthy lifestyle has to start from square one and be a life change for the rest of your life, but YOU have to start it.

I used to be 135lbs in shape, doing sports and weights, then when i graduated high school in 2000 I quit my habit of smoking and replaced it with junk and fast food and being lazy. 200lbs gained, sure at one point i lost 156 that was to meds to boost me along with some of it. Now after all this time, back at it, 85 down with 115 to go, make your choice a wise one. Starting from almost square 0 SUCKS ! I don't wish anyone to be back at the starting line like I had to do, I kick myself but i can't change it, I can just press forward and do what i need to do now to keep this life time change.
  • tflyswagg
    tflyswagg Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    tflyswagg wrote: »
    Healthnut050, it is not natural it is very strong and it is a prescription. Like prettyleelee said one would need to have good blood pressure and I do eat right and drink plenty of water. I haven't been very active but I'm ready to start back up on my exercise, which has never been am issue for me. @prettyleelee where did you get that number from far as calories? My personal trainer who made my meal plan started me at a higher number, basically you keep it consistent for a period of time and then take.it down a little and kedon't t consistent for a while and so forth. He said thats why people hit a platue BC they don't give them self to to decrease. Any lower than 1200 your body will go into survival mode and store fat. That's why fad diets don't work or people will try one diet and then switch to another, you have to stay consistent that's why if you ever see people who are successful a lot of times the meals they eat are repetative. It made so much sense after I realized a few months ago I was doing a 1200 calorie diet and people on MFP kept saying It wasn't enough, I thought if I was more active than the calories I was consuming I would lose but in the end it made me gain 15 lbs:/
    tflyswagg wrote: »
    My personal trainer who made my meal plan started me at a higher number, basically you keep it consistent for a period of time and then take.it down a little and keep it consistent for a while and so forth. He said thats why people hit a platue BC they don't give them self to to decrease. Any lower than 1200 your body will go into survival mode and store fat. That's why fad diets don't work or people will try one diet and then switch to another, you have to stay consistent that's why if you ever see people who are successful a lot of times the meals they eat are repetative. It made so much sense after I realized a few months ago I was doing a 1200 calorie diet and people on MFP kept saying It wasn't enough, I thought if I was more active than the calories I was consuming I would lose but in the end it made me gain 15 lbs:/

I am not sure this is true while talking toy doctor and many others 1200 is a good number and the more you work out the more you should eat due to your body wanting more fuel. If you work out more and do not eat more you than end up gaining because than you are storing fat.

True, you do need to fuel your body. 1240 may be a good number I'm saying you would start off higher than that for a period of time and take.it down to a lower number and so forth to avoid a platue but if you start off at the 1240 to begin with your not leaving yourself room to lower it bc you don't want to go below 1200. &- yes, if one doesn't have enough they may be losing for the moment but when I said survival mode I mean if you were to lose 30lbs from eating less than 1200, its not going to stay off. Same concept as drinking enough water. If you don't drink enough your body holds onto it and stores it bc it doesn't know when it have some again. Once you drink enough consistently your body will send a signal to release it all bc your well hydrated.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It appears that the only people who support this drug are the ones who are currently on it. They haven't stopped yet long enough to see it doesn't help you "change your lifestyle". Then you have the people who don't support it, who are former users. I know a few people who took it. They all lost weight, turned into complete psycho *kitten* from hell and gained the weight back plus more when they stopped. (just like all of the stories you're hearing by non supporters) Sounds like a great drug!

+1, and emphasis on the bolded. I was insane for a little while after coming off of it until I got on antidepressants. It was a horrible time, and looking back on it, I feel so stupid for even taking it. I was pre-nursing at the time, and had taken nutrition courses and all of my science courses but STILL decided taking an amphetamine was a good idea.
  • TNoire
    Options
    It appears that the only people who support this drug are the ones who are currently on it. They haven't stopped yet long enough to see it doesn't help you "change your lifestyle". Then you have the people who don't support it, who are former users. I know a few people who took it. They all lost weight, turned into complete psycho *kitten* from hell and gained the weight back plus more when they stopped. (just like all of the stories you're hearing by non supporters) Sounds like a great drug!

+1, and emphasis on the bolded. I was insane for a little while after coming off of it until I got on antidepressants. It was a horrible time, and looking back on it, I feel so stupid for even taking it. I was pre-nursing at the time, and had taken nutrition courses and all of my science courses but STILL decided taking an amphetamine was a good idea.

Like i said i kick myself too but we can't go back, all we can do is go forward, we got this @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt !! What matters is now and what we do with what we have and go into the future with it, we can't give up!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You still need to address you own eating habits regardless if you're on it or not. What I find is when people start using weight loss drugs to achieve weight loss, they can't seem to get off them because they still have no idea how to eat correctly. The drug just helps them to reduce eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. Learning portion control is the answer, and sometimes there are underlying issues that need to be addressed.
  • TNoire
    Options
    I found this in the other thread that someone directed you too:

Side Effects:
    Chest pain
    decreased ability to exercise
    dizziness
    fainting
    fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
    headache
    numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
    swelling of the feet or lower legs
    trembling or shaking of the legs, arms, hands, or feet
    trouble breathing
    trouble with thinking, speaking, or walking
    weakness
    Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
    difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
    dry mouth
    false or unusual sense of well-being
    hives or welts
    inability to have or keep an erection
    increased in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
    increased interest in sexual intercourse
    itching
    loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
    redness of the skin
    skin rash
    unpleasant taste
    Seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
    severe mental changes

Im sure there is more, but think about it!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You got some good advice, but I'll tell you personally it helps in the short term but not so much the long term. Find something you love to do that isn't going to injure you in the long term. I used to run, but because I did it too much I injured myself past the point of healing so I lift heavy and hike these days. As for the food, it's a process. You'll learn what you need over time. Just keep at it. Best advice I can give? Fat+Fiber+Protein=success. :)
  • treadmills_and_dinosaurs
    Options
    bump
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I've been working out and eating the correct amount of food for my body for about 3 years now, so I think it's safe to say I've developed good habits.

Diet pills make you not hungry, they make it easy to pass on foods that are highly palatable. When you stop taking them, and your appetite is back to normal...what have you learned?

This is exactly my point.

It's not the habits that matter - they are formed within 6 weeks. You'd have the habits down cold on a course of diet pills for 6 months.

It's the hunger that comes back that does you in.

So the whole argument of "pills don't work because you haven't learned how to eat properly" is probably bogus.

Pills don't work because as soon as you get off of them the hunger comes back and your willpower breaks down eventually.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I've been working out and eating the correct amount of food for my body for about 3 years now, so I think it's safe to say I've developed good habits.

Diet pills make you not hungry, they make it easy to pass on foods that are highly palatable. When you stop taking them, and your appetite is back to normal...what have you learned?

It's not the habits that matter - they are formed within 6 weeks. You'd have the habits down cold on a course of diet pills for 6 months.

So the whole argument of "pills don't work because you haven't learned how to eat properly" is probably bogus.

Pills don't work because as soon as you get off of them the hunger comes back and your willpower breaks down eventually.

I hate to say it, but this sounds like a very defeatist viewpoint. That hunger is a fixed and immovable thing and that without something to permanently silence it, people are powerless against it. For a certain number of people this may well be true. For the larger portion of people, I believe it is not.

And really, the two scenarios you put up above are more complementary than opposite. There is nothing to prevent a person using a suppressant and learning and to adapt and manage hunger. It is just that it is less likely, because the mindset going in is the same as any fad or crash diet: "this will be a temporary thing and I can go back to the same habits as before when I'm done."

The other problem is that in the "real world" medically, doctors do not give good support for transitioning off the pills. You're on them, you get to a stopping point, and you're off them. And again back to the previous habits.

The "Fed up" documentary also falls into this defeatist mindset, which is unfortunate. The people watching it are either overweight or concerned about someone who is overweight. The message that you are unlikely to change that because the statistics are against you will ultimately lead many to the conclusion they should not even try.

I, for one, refuse to be defeated.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    i recommend getting an activity tracker, be more active, set your goal to lose no more than 2 pounds per week, and stay within your calories.

all you are doing right now is hurting yourself and setting yourself up for failure, and most likely will wind up gaining the weight back and then some.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

I hate to say it, but this sounds like a very defeatist viewpoint. That hunger is a fixed and immovable thing and that without something to permanently silence it, people are powerless against it. For a certain number of people this may well be true. For the larger portion of people, I believe it is not.

And really, the two scenarios you put up above are more complementary than opposite. There is nothing to prevent a person using a suppressant and learning and to adapt and manage hunger. It is just that it is less likely, because the mindset going in is the same as any fad or crash diet: "this will be a temporary thing and I can go back to the same habits as before when I'm done."

The other problem is that in the "real world" medically, doctors do not give good support for transitioning off the pills. You're on them, you get to a stopping point, and you're off them. And again back to the previous habits.

The "Fed up" documentary also falls into this defeatist mindset, which is unfortunate. The people watching it are either overweight or concerned about someone who is overweight. The message that you are unlikely to change that because the statistics are against you will ultimately lead many to the conclusion they should not even try.

I, for one, refuse to be defeated.

I work in a wellness clinic and have a lot of acquaintances who are HCPs in weight loss clinics and this describes the set up to a tee. They do a physical exam and then prescribe adipex. That's it. I've only ever heard of one clinic in the U.S. that addresses hunger and eating habits and being cognizant of biofeedback that contributes to food choices. And (shocker) they don't prescribe adipex there.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    doesn't anybody just run a good ole ECA stack anymore
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    doesn't anybody just run a good ole ECA stack anymore

Just EC here...
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

The reality is that most people - between 80% and 95% - who attempt weight loss fail long term. If we are going to fix this, we have to understand why.

Again, if this were an issue of "habits", then habits should be relearned within about 3-10 weeks. If you are on phentermine or similar appetite suppressant for 6 months this should be plenty of time to learn new habits.

It's not the habits that are the problem.

• Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.

Pretty sure most of us know what a calorie is... I've been watching what I eat/etc for well over a month, before my doctor prescribed Phentermine, even lost 11lbs, before the appointment. >_>;

For me, it is an appetite suppressant, that is all, because feeling like you're starving ALL THE TIME IS SUPER AWESOME. /thumbs up! /sarcasm

So when my doctor suggested it, to help re-train my body, I was like, "Why not? Surely it is better than feeling miserable all the time." Since then I have lost another 5lbs, because I DO watch what I eat, and now with the suppressant part, I don't feel like a dying whale, lost in an ocean of empty calories. I don't reach for quick foods, anymore, I take the time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner, even plan my snacks. For the first time, in years, I wake up, and feel like I have the energy to actually take on the world.

Don't judge people, because they needed a little extra help... You don't know anything about us, about our personal lives, about what we need to actually do to get into being healthier human beings. The fact is we're all on the right track, as long as what we're doing works for us, that's all that matters.

Also, thank you, although your good luck is not needed, it is appreciated.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.

Pretty sure most of us know what a calorie is... I've been watching what I eat/etc for well over a month, before my doctor prescribed Phentermine, even lost 11lbs, before the appointment. >_>;

For me, it is an appetite suppressant, that is all, because feeling like you're starving ALL THE TIME IS SUPER AWESOME. /thumbs up! /sarcasm

So when my doctor suggested it, to help re-train my body, I was like, "Why not? Surely it is better than feeling miserable all the time." Since then I have lost another 5lbs, because I DO watch what I eat, and now with the suppressant part, I don't feel like a dying whale, lost in an ocean of empty calories. I don't reach for quick foods, anymore, I take the time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner, even plan my snacks. For the first time, in years, I wake up, and feel like I have the energy to actually take on the world.

Don't judge people, because they needed a little extra help... You don't know anything about us, about our personal lives, about what we need to actually do to get into being healthier human beings. The fact is we're all on the right track, as long as what we're doing works for us, that's all that matters.

Also, thank you, although your good luck is not needed, it is appreciated.

pretty mean-spirited and snarky reply there...

I'm someone who has used stimulants to lose weight before, and even used them to starve myself down to a very unhealthily low BMI

I gained all that weight back eventually

then I learned how to eat properly and exercise (i.e. LIFT HEAVY YO) and made good lifestyle changes

what everyone is trying to tell you is that the pills will help in the short term, but in the long term they will do more harm than good

but if you want to keep being defensive and lashing out at people who are trying to help you, then...well we certainly can't stop you. you'll learn eventually through your own experience
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know it exacerbated it because I had had this heart issue prior to the phentermine, I had had earlier issues with the heart problem without actually knowing what it was.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Before even being prescribed Phentermine, weren't you given an EKG? o_o If that's the case, your doctor should never have prescribed it for you! I hope that you're doing better now, though.
  • Hvngfaith88
    Hvngfaith88 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started using it about 3 years ago at a weight loss clinic. It worked great. I lost weight. BUT, BUT, BUT if you do not take it after you loose the weight, and I had to stop taking it because it made me sick, I gained 3 times the weight back..... DO NOT DO IT!!!