Diet Soda

Options
I am a big diet coke fan, and drink quite a bit during the day. Sometimes I wonder if, in some weird way, it is negatively affecting my weight. Like doing something to my metabolism? Anyone have an insight or experiences in this?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no its not.
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Here is some research that I came across....

"When Purdue researchers Susan Swithers, PhD, and Terry Davidson, PhD, published their first studies in rats designed to test their theory that artificial sweeteners alter the body’s ability to regulate calorie intake, they were not prepared for the press attention their research received.

In the first study, two groups of rats were fed sweet, flavored, cola-like liquids. For one group, the liquid was always sweetened with sugar so there was a consistent relationship between the sweet taste and calories. In the second group, the sugar-sweetened liquids were alternated with liquids sweetened with the artificial sweetener saccharin, so that the relationship between the sweet taste and calories was inconsistent.

After 10 days, the rats were given a sweet, high-calorie chocolate pudding. Those exposed to the caloric and non-caloric sweet beverages ate more of the pudding.

In another study, rats were fed high-calorie chocolate pudding or chocolate milk with their regular food. At the end of the month, the chocolate milk group had gained significantly more weight.

The first experiment suggested that by breaking the connection between sweet taste and calories, artificial sweeteners interfere with the body’s natural ability to judge calorie content, Swithers says. The second, that the body is less able to recognize energy delivered in liquid form.

In a later set of studies the researchers fed rats yogurt sweetened with sugar or saccharine in addition to their regular chow and found that the rats that ate the no-calorie sweetener took in more calories overall and gained more weight."

I'm drinking a diet Pepsi right now, btw.

Everything can be bad in excess, I suggest seriously cutting back on the diet soda.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think it can. I myself lost 10 lbs in about 4 weeks doing nothing different than cutting out diet soda. I had to, it was reacting to a medication i was taking. So that meant nothing with nutrasweet, splenda, sucralose, etc. No diet soda, no crystal light, none of that mio water enhancer stuff. No sugar free candy or gum. So I gave it all up. and I even ADDED 1 can of FULL sugar soda a day in place of the 3-4 cans of diet I was drinking. Lost 10lbs like I said.
    I talked to my Dr. and Allergist.. neither were surprised. Your brain is getting signals of 'sweet' intake, but not the blood sugar boost that goes with it. Maybe for some people that can trigger bigger cravings, and more intake of other foods, thus an overall increase of calories.
    of course, to be fair my 1 can full sugar soda slowly increased itself over time and i gained the 10lbs back. with MFP, Fit bit and back to healthier eating, which includes a continued ban on fake anything, I've lost 21-24 lbs(still fluctuating and getting back on track these past few weeks).
    I'd rather drink unsweetened ice tea, and enjoy a small Jack and Coke at night than have tons of the fake chemicals all day long. Personal choice though in the long run.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    It is Friday, I suppose. That answer is no. Enjoy whatever comes next. I'd just like to add this, as it has become one of my favorite gifs lately.

cat-nail-file.gif

Best cat gif I've seen in a long time! Will be saving that for future use.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It is Friday, I suppose. That answer is no. Enjoy whatever comes next. I'd just like to add this, as it has become one of my favorite gifs lately.

cat-nail-file.gif

Actually posts like these make me feel like I'm in Groundhog Day.

giphy.gif

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda, was just never a fan. Would occasionally have a carbonated beverage. What made me swear off the stuff forever was having to replace a pipe in one of the facilities I manage. The pipe ran the syrup to the carbonation line and then to the soda machine. It was a 1/2 inch think steel pipe. And the syrup ate through it. Corroded the heck out of it. It smelled so bad. So very bad. With all the facility plumbing issues I've seen over the years, I've never seen anything like that. Granted, it took years. But, ewww!!!! :smiley:
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Watching my diabetic father intake the amount of diet soda he does, I would wager diet soda in excess - may cause some negative effects in those with pre-existing sugar sensitivities, diabetes, or other insulin-related medical issues. (I assure you, all of those italics and bolds were necessary. If you'd been here before, you'd know.... oh - you'd know... O_o;;; )

I limit myself to one a week only because I have trouble drinking enough water if I'm filling up on soda. That's the only reason. Like everything else in the world, in moderation, it's likely perfectly harmless. If you're concerned, cut back and make it a not-so-daily habit.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

cat-nail-file.gif

Slightly off topic but it's really bugging me: is that Salem from Sabrina the teenage witch?

OP- no, it has no effect on weight loss
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Watching my diabetic father intake the amount of diet soda he does, I would wager diet soda in excess - may cause some negative effects in those with pre-existing sugar sensitivities, diabetes, or other insulin-related medical issues. (I assure you, all of those italics and bolds were necessary. If you'd been here before, you'd know.... oh - you'd know... O_o;;; )

I limit myself to one a week only because I have trouble drinking enough water if I'm filling up on soda. That's the only reason. Like everything else in the world, in moderation, it's likely perfectly harmless. If you're concerned, cut back and make it a not-so-daily habit.

Agreed. Moderation, balance. Make sure you drink enough water and if the diet soda doesn't bother you physically then there's probably no problem with it.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My blood is made from Diet Coke.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do the moderation thing myself. All that acid give doesn't help with heartburn or reflux issues. Carbonation is hard on tooth enamel. Taking in something sweet (fake or not) all day long....can't be a good habit.

I do drink water all day. This may be an acquired thing.....use a filter pitcher.....add a slice of lemon (mint leaves, ginger slices) whatever you can do to get used to it.

Love the kitty gif!
  • vjambois
    vjambois Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the party but I just have to add my own experience. I'm addicted to Diet Coke. I love it. Love. I started LCHF last week along with cutting back on my beloved DC. I went into ketosis (fat burning) within 24 hours and I was consistently losing weight. Yesterday I drank a 20oz bottle of DC, it was the only thing I did to stray from my diet and I gained back .7lbs and was barely in ketosis yesterday evening and this morning. Now I know it's just one time but I'm going to experiment to see if it really messes with me or not. I don't think anyone can really say, yes it does mess with your metabolism or not. It's really up to you to test it out, everyone is different and individual results will vary.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    vjambois wrote: »
    I know I'm late to the party but I just have to add my own experience. I'm addicted to Diet Coke. I love it. Love. I started LCHF last week along with cutting back on my beloved DC. I went into ketosis (fat burning) within 24 hours and I was consistently losing weight. Yesterday I drank a 20oz bottle of DC, it was the only thing I did to stray from my diet and I gained back .7lbs and was barely in ketosis yesterday evening and this morning. Now I know it's just one time but I'm going to experiment to see if it really messes with me or not. I don't think anyone can really say, yes it does mess with your metabolism or not. It's really up to you to test it out, everyone is different and individual results will vary.

Weight loss isn't lineal though. Judging that a certain food impedes weight loss simply because you see a small fluctuation on the scale the next day isn't a great foundation.

Last week I had deep-fried jalapeno poppers for dinner. The next day, I hit my goal weight. Did deep fried food make me lose the last bit of weight? Of course not. Our weight loss is the function of *everything* that happens the previous day (not just food intake) and what happened on previous days as well.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Weight loss isn't lineal though. Judging that a certain food impedes weight loss simply because you see a small fluctuation on the scale the next day isn't a great foundation.

Last week I had deep-fried jalapeno poppers for dinner. The next day, I hit my goal weight. Did deep fried food make me lose the last bit of weight? Of course not. Our weight loss is the function of *everything* that happens the previous day (not just food intake) and what happened on previous days as well.

This. If you have a sensitivity to artifical sweeteners, then maybe I could see a bottle of soda creating waterweight gain, but 20oz of diet soda, regular soda, vodka, or just about anything you can drink outside of pure olive oil, is not going to make you gain more than half a pound of fat.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Mmmm.... deep fried jalapeno poppers.... and I read that they even provide weight loss. :smiley:

Seriously, though... I've been drinking diet soda for 2 decades while I gained and while I've been losing weight. The diet soda had nothing to do with anything except it tastes good and gives me a small caffeine boost.

Also, your body uses the water in soda whether diet or not.
  • vjambois
    vjambois Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd be down for jalepeno peppers = weight loss. Mmmmmm....
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I think it can. I myself lost 10 lbs in about 4 weeks doing nothing different than cutting out diet soda.
    This seems so unlikely as to be impossible. There's no way you lost 2.5 pounds a week doing nothing different except cutting zero calorie artificial sweeteners.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I think it can. I myself lost 10 lbs in about 4 weeks doing nothing different than cutting out diet soda. I had to, it was reacting to a medication i was taking. So that meant nothing with nutrasweet, splenda, sucralose, etc. No diet soda, no crystal light, none of that mio water enhancer stuff. No sugar free candy or gum. So I gave it all up. and I even ADDED 1 can of FULL sugar soda a day in place of the 3-4 cans of diet I was drinking. Lost 10lbs like I said.
    I talked to my Dr. and Allergist.. neither were surprised. Your brain is getting signals of 'sweet' intake, but not the blood sugar boost that goes with it. Maybe for some people that can trigger bigger cravings, and more intake of other foods, thus an overall increase of calories.
    of course, to be fair my 1 can full sugar soda slowly increased itself over time and i gained the 10lbs back. with MFP, Fit bit and back to healthier eating, which includes a continued ban on fake anything, I've lost 21-24 lbs(still fluctuating and getting back on track these past few weeks).
    I'd rather drink unsweetened ice tea, and enjoy a small Jack and Coke at night than have tons of the fake chemicals all day long. Personal choice though in the long run.

They basically told you that when you were drinking diet soda you were also eating more.

OP-if you find you're craving more food bc of the diet soda ( I don't think it really causes this-(FWIW)-by all means cut it out. But it certainly does not CAUSE you to gain weight, or mess with your metabolism. Personally I drink lots of coke zero and other sugar free products. They help me tremendously bc I eat within my calorie goal, and therefore lose weight.