Feel frustrated!

Options

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    CBR500 wrote: »
    I work 11 hours shifts as a nursery nurse so am on my feet all day and I don't add salt to anything and eat fresh vegetables.. And so your telling me the packet of ham is wrong? That's illegal in England so would a big company like tesco really get it that wrong?

Even foods like vegetables have sodium in them naturally. People are pointing this out because it signals that the particular entry for your vegetables may be incorrect if it is showing 0g of sodium.

And no one is saying the info on the package is wrong (it actually can be off by a % but there's no way for you to do anything about that). They are saying that:

- A serving will often be written in two ways: In weight, and in some other measurement (like cups or a count). Use weight, and verify that what you portioned out really does weigh that by weighing it yourself.
    - Do not trust the scanner. It may not pull up the best entry. There may be 10 possible entries for that food item, and not all will be correct. You still need to verify that entry. Check it against the package in your hands, the USDA website, the manufacturer website, whatever you need to do.
    - Don't ever skip logging days or meals or bites or cooking oil or anything. Always do your best to fill out your log, as accurately as you can.

And as an aside: You don't NEED to eat a serving. Like if "a serving" of ham is 50 g and you pull out 5 slices and they weigh 55 g, there is no harm in eating the 55 g, just log it. No need to try to cut off 5 g (though you can if you'd like to).

Also, you started on June 7? Give it a bit more time, and get past 1 menstrual cycle, before you get too frustrated. It's not a bad idea to go through your logging, but also, it's not even quite been 2 weeks, so it's a bit early to conclude that you aren't in a deficit at all.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    jbc6vj0ha48p.jpg

The point here is that the 'one slice' could vary in its weight every time: one time youcould get a slice at 30g, the next ttime it could be a bit chunkier and weigh several grams more. The labels on packets telling you 'this slice is x amount' are approximations, guidelines if you will. You need to be measuring in grams to be truly accurate.
  • futuremanda
    Options
    jbc6vj0ha48p.jpg

Is that the same ham as this? http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268333662

Because then it'd be 70 calories per 50 g, not 60. Not that that is a huge discrepancy, but it's just to show you that you need to *carefully verify* the information you find, even (especially?) in the MFP database. There's nothing about any entry in MFP that guarantees full accuracy. (Though you can see if others have confirmed the details, which can be helpful in a pinch.)

This is especially important if you're repeatedly logging the same foods, as you're getting that error every time you log that food if you use the same entry every time.
  • CBR500
    CBR500 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just can't do this.. Have just eaten what I logged and even if it was 200 cals more I would still be in deficit :(
  • CBR500
    Options
    And I had my thyroid checked 6 months ago and all was okay
  • CBR500
    Options
    jbc6vj0ha48p.jpg

Is that the same ham as this? http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268333662

Because then it'd be 70 calories per 50 g, not 60. Not that that is a huge discrepancy, but it's just to show you that you need to *carefully verify* the information you find, even (especially?) in the MFP database. There's nothing about any entry in MFP that guarantees full accuracy. (Though you can see if others have confirmed the details, which can be helpful in a pinch.)

This is especially important if you're repeatedly logging the same foods, as you're getting that error every time you log that food if you use the same entry every time.

It's
    12 calories per 10g.. 50g would therefore be 60 calories which is what I weigh out every day
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    thats the point it can be way over 200 wrong

those tesco mixed veggies you logged for 175 = 65 calories

i looked those up too 100 gram is 60 calories so 175 gram = not 65 but 105 calories

Now this is just one item!!!!! 40 calories wrong a day is for ten days 400 calories...ONE item!!!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • CBR500
    Options
    Why the .
    And I had 150g not 175 :/
  • futuremanda
    Options
    jbc6vj0ha48p.jpg

It's
    12 calories per 10g.. 50g would therefore be 60 calories which is what I weigh out every day

12 calories per 10g according to the package, or according to the entry that comes up when you scan the package?
  • CBR500
    Options
    The acctual packet , what is on the back
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Why the .
    And I had 150g not 175 :/

This is not 150 gram to me...you logged it!
    d84ek054uokk.jpg

And i saw some rice that is really low in calories to me.

But really i dont do this to patronize you

Just showing you that you can be wrong without knowing it.

But like i said before i am outta here :) Going to cook
    Wish you luck

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    ...It's been 12 days. If you're doing everything right and nothing is medically wrong, you beed to just chill out and give it more time. Water retention from exercise, TOM, or sodium could be masking weight loss. Also, it's been 12 days. Weight loss isn't always linear.
  • Gardnersirhc
    Gardnersirhc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    keysailor wrote: »
    I think the MFP is probably doing you a disservice. Try discounting it by 25-50%. Don't give up!

What do you mean?

You "earn" calories by exercising. MFP makes adjustments which add to the total calories you can eat (goal calories minus what you've eaten plus "MFP adjustment" for exercise) the result at the right is a positive number if you ate less, a negative number if you over-ate.

What I'm saying is that the adjustment MFP makes for exercise is probably overstated. If you cut that adjustment by 25-50%, you'll be sure not to overeat. So for example:

if MFP says 1,600 - 2,100 + 500 = 0 calories, then

Recalculate at 75%:
    1,600 - 2,100 + 375 = -125 calories over

Recalculate at 50%:
    1,600 - 2,100 + 250 = -250 calories over

Cheers and don't give up!
  • CBR500
    Options
    Right.. Okay.. I just wonder if I'm just meant to be fat and just give up :( feeling very lost and low
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Right.. Okay.. I just wonder if I'm just meant to be fat and just give up :( feeling very lost and low

Giving up is how you get bigger (been there, done that).

I would start over. Get on the computer and check every single entry you use. Try to prepare your own food from scratch - do a bulk cook on a weekend perhaps - instead of relying on lots of packaged food that comes with excess salt/unnecessary additives etc.

Be consistent and accurate with your logging and measuring/eating. Give it time! Stress less - worrying isn't going to help you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

I wouldnt worry about the Ham. Its likely one of those 100-120gm packs of wafer thing ham. Its irrlevant of one clice varies because all 10 will average out. its very low calorie anyway so some of you getting your knickers in a twist really arent seeing the bigger picture.

OP you need to change your attitude, worry less and not give in. Its all a bit woe is me and negative thinking. Its only 12 days. The reasons you arent losing are either.

1. You are eating more than you think. Its the most common reason and where not losing is an issue then everyone that comes to this site is told to check and weigh.

Look at Vismals explanation.http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

The inaccurate calories can add up.

2. You are burning less than you think. If you are eating back exercise calories, especially ones given by MFP then you may be overestimating how much you are burning and eating back calories you havent earned.

3.If you are correct on what you are and what you burn then the math is wrong and you havent calculated a traget thats at deficit. Considering your weight at nearly 200, stated calorie allowance and height, then I think we can rule that one out.

4. Weight loss isnt linear, so you just need to be patient . 12 days is no time at all.

5. You have some sort of medical condition that makes it more difficyl to lose. Go and see a Dr, bt this is prety rare becayse its normally 1 or 2.

Give up if you like, but that doesnt get you where you wnat to go. If you really wnat to get rid of the excess weight then you wont give in but you will get smart and work out how to get past the current delay. It may require you to eat less by being more accurate, burn more by moving more or simply be patient. If you ive in its becayse you dont wnat to lose badly enough and you let your fears get the better of you. There are many examples on the success pages of people who worked for many months or years to get to their target. You choose whether you wnat to be one of them.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The other part of the equation is learning to control stress. Sleep is an important part of this.
  • CBR500
    Options
    Sorry for the nefativity but I have tried every diet for the past 2 years and got nowhere.. Just feel lost is all
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    What macros should I use?
    Should I eat calories event from my Fitbit readings?

I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users